New hope for rough shift issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm all the way on the west coast in Vancouver. Thanks and please do post your results/service receipt.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Got the software update earlier today. So far, it seems to have smoothed out the 2-3 shift a considerable amount. It now shifts similarly to the smoothest shifts I experienced pre-update, only much more consistently. My service adviser said he got the update done on his TLX and it took a couple days to smooth out completely. We'll see how it deals with my 50%-city commute tomorrow morning.
The following users liked this post:
burn1010 (10-21-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 12:30 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Second software update seems to have worked on my DCT. See if it stays smooth in the long run.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Ive had the tsb 34 update for a while. And while it has improved the 2 to 3 jerkiness, it caused a hesitation when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Anyone else notice this?
Old 10-22-2015, 04:28 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
Which downshifts? All of them? The hesitation only seemed to happen for me when it involved the dog clutch gears (ie: going 9-8, 5-4, or worse, 9-4). The hesitation was only very slight on 9-8 and 5-4. 9-4 took extra time, probably because the transmission is disengaging 2 sets of dog clutches.

In any event, it can still do it faster than I could downshift in my 3G Type-S 6MT. I think people have gotten used to automatics shifting so quickly that they change their driving behaviour. As someone going from a 6MT to a 9AT, the only thing difficult to get used to is the fact that the TLX kind of 'freewheels' a little bit (other cars do it too, but the more gears you have, the more pronounced the effect) when downshifting 1 gear since the ratio change isn't very large. In other words, using the brakes a lot more because when in Sport or lower modes.

There's 3 ways around the downshift to pass thing:

1. Anticipate the pass like you would while driving a manual transmission. Downshift the entire way prior to exiting the lane, not after. This can be done using the gas pedal by itself. Step on it hard for a second just to get the car to perform the 9-4 shift, and then exit the lane and pass. If you want, you can tap the paddle to upshift to 5th during your pass, to hold 5th gear. I like this way of doing it, so that the car doesn't upshift further until I've completed my pass.

2. Tap the paddle to get the car into 8th gear while you're still in the travel lane. Do this anytime. This just locks out 9th before your pass and you've already dealt with one dog clutch, so when you go to pass, the 8-4 shift takes much less time.

3. IDS yourself into Sport+. This locks out 8th and 9th. The car will not shift past 7th. Passing is much quicker since you only need to dive down 3 gears at most, and the transmission is more eager to downshift. Acura really needs to add an easier way to shift to Sport+. A little button somewhere (maybe on the steering wheel?).

If your downshift delay is on ALL your downshifts, something is wrong with the transmission. Downshifts tend to be very quick going just one gear down on the non-dog gears.
I should have been more precise. I'm talking about slowing the car down to go around a turn, or when I slow to ALMOST a stop and then get back on the gas, the car does not respond to my right foot when I want it to. Like I've caught it trying to figure out which gear it wants to be in. I haven't really played with the paddles yet, or focused on preparing the car to go into a turn. I'd rather the car figure that out. But maybe I'll play with the paddles. I don't really have any problems at other times. I just recently hit 500 miles on the car. Still a baby.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I should have been more precise. I'm talking about slowing the car down to go around a turn, or when I slow to ALMOST a stop and then get back on the gas, the car does not respond to my right foot when I want it to. Like I've caught it trying to figure out which gear it wants to be in. I haven't really played with the paddles yet, or focused on preparing the car to go into a turn. I'd rather the car figure that out. But maybe I'll play with the paddles. I don't really have any problems at other times. I just recently hit 500 miles on the car. Still a baby.
Acuras have LONG had an odd quirk where the accelerator seems to stop working for a second under certain situations, and the one you mention is the worst of them. Brake and slow 'way down, then get back on the gas and often nothing happens for several long heartbeats.

The awkward thing is that that is a fairly common thing to do in city traffic ... maybe you come up on a line of stopped cars on the freeway, you slow down almost to a stop, then see an opening in the next lane. You swing out, hit the gas ......... and nothing happens as other cars bear down on you.

It can be scary, and downright dangerous. I've experienced this in several gens of TL's and in RL's and RLX's. It seems like the transmission gets its wires crossed and can't find a gear fast enough to hook up and get going. In addition, the traction control wants to keep you from spinning your wheels, so it cuts power. The combination of the two is apparently what's going on.

newlybird17 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just started driving my TLX 4 cylinder again after repairing front end collision damage after I rear ended someone in traffic due to the shift problem. It drove smoothly for a few days then WHAM-O. Back in my traffic commute, I had acceleration issues AGAIN. We had Acura Corporate inspect it, test drove it. etc. "No problems found". I'm furious that it had to be a LAWYER who explained to me that it was "shifting into neutral". He educated me however, so I'm very grateful, that when it happened again, I handled the car like in a hydroplane. I stopped accelerating, and pumped the brake. And the engine returned to baseline. Our dealer service guy seems like a flunkie they've assigned to problem clients. He has really given us no support, education or guidance. Really disappointing.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
That is my biggest gripe as well. Other than the occasional hesitation the tranny is spot on though.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys, I also have similar news to report regarding the new update so here's my story...

Now that I have 5K on the car the hard shifts have improved some and I do drive aggressively so they haven't been a major issue for me so I was ok with the way the car drove for the most part.

That said I never felt like the shifts through all 9 gears were smooth and immediate, I also had what I felt like was a significant delay under hard acceleration before the car would react and down shifts when braking were also an issue at times depending on how fast I was traveling before a stop.

I've been dealing with Arlington Acura in Palatine, IL for over 15 years and have a great relationship with them.
They were very aware of the tranny issues and knew I wasn't completely happy but recommended I wait until they had a solution through Acura that they were confident would solve the issue since prior updates seemed to be just a partial fix.

They called me about a week ago and told me they finally had an update that solves our dilemma so I brought the car in last Friday.
The update is the TSB 15-040 that I saw mentioned in this thread, it solves the transmission shifts in general along with the 2-3 upshift issue and an idle learn.

Updates were 2235A2 and 2235A2A TCM

I am happy to finally report after driving the car for a week that this update is a significant improvement from where things were originally, I didn't realize how much better the tranny could perform.

Hard shifts are gone, the tranny shifts smoothly and accurately through all 9 gears and under hard acceleration shifts are quick and smooth, puts a smile on my face every time I really hit the gas.
Abrupt acceleration delay has also improved, there is a slight delay while the tranny spools down but definitely more of what I expect.
If I really want instant response I use the paddle shifters...
Down shifts when braking are also seamless...

Overall the tranny responds much better in general, extremely happy to say the least...

I always felt this tranny had great potential given the minimal power loss, dual clutch and 9 gears, now I think Acura has something that finally works well with the 6 cylinder.

Anyway, I highly suggest the folks here run to the dealer to have this done if you have a V6, I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Last edited by Sonor Kid 2; 10-22-2015 at 01:52 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Sonor Kid 2:
a35tl (10-24-2015), burn1010 (10-22-2015), JT4 (10-23-2015), lsbuffs (10-23-2015), mapleloaf (10-26-2015), miner (10-27-2015), ostrich (10-22-2015), youngTL (10-22-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Sounds great, I hope this comes to canadia soon!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Welp, drove about 6 hours in stop-and-go/city traffic today and I'm happy to report that the 2-3 shift was MUCH smoother. I no longer feel like I'm gonna get whiplash :p

If you have a V6, GET THE UPDATE!
The following 2 users liked this post by audioxbliss:
a35tl (10-24-2015), ATXTLX (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by audioxbliss
Welp, drove about 6 hours in stop-and-go/city traffic today and I'm happy to report that the 2-3 shift was MUCH smoother. I no longer feel like I'm gonna get whiplash :p

If you have a V6, GET THE UPDATE!
Did you have 15-040 already done before this?

Or was the update they just did for you 15-040?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
Did you have 15-040 already done before this?

Or was the update they just did for you 15-040?
The one they did should have been 15-040. I printed it out and took it to them.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
So I am one of the guys with a V6 SH-AWD that noticed the first two notched shifts early on. Like others, I have trained my foot to stay under or over 3000 rpm along with progressive IDS modes) to eliminate almost all of the notched 1-2, 2-3 shifts. I haven't had a problem with downshifting because I use the brakes typically and I don't have a lot of conditions, such as entrance ramps, to slow down significantly, and then hit the pedal hard. Passing on the highway at high speeds has been a delight.

As a Canadian, there have been no TSBs for the transmission, other than the initial safety check re the involuntary engagement to D from P. Today I received a Product Update from Acura Canada which I scanned below. Note the concern re shifting into neutral and there point about "can improve shift quality in TLX V6 AWDs". I'm not sure how this maps to the various U.S. TSBs referenced in this thread. Just when I was content with performance……although if it improves things I'm in!
Attached Thumbnails New hope for rough shift issues?-acura-product-update-1.jpeg  
newlybird17 (11-02-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
So I am one of the guys with a V6 SH-AWD that noticed the first two notched shifts early on. Like others, I have trained my foot to stay under or over 3000 rpm along with progressive IDS modes) to eliminate almost all of the notched 1-2, 2-3 shifts. I haven't had a problem with downshifting because I use the brakes typically and I don't have a lot of conditions, such as entrance ramps, to slow down significantly, and then hit the pedal hard. Passing on the highway at high speeds has been a delight.

As a Canadian, there have been no TSBs for the transmission, other than the initial safety check re the involuntary engagement to D from P. Today I received a Product Update from Acura Canada which I scanned below. Note the concern re shifting into neutral and there point about "can improve shift quality in TLX V6 AWDs". I'm not sure how this maps to the various U.S. TSBs referenced in this thread. Just when I was content with performance……although if it improves things I'm in!
It is interesting that Acura Canada is acknowledging that there are problems with both the TLX and the MDX.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
It is interesting that Acura Canada is acknowledging that there are problems with both the TLX and the MDX.
I also had the slight jerkiness in the transmission and I took it to a dealer nearby and he said everything is updated and there's nothing else to do. I showed them the SB date but still he said your software is up to date. So today I took it to an another dealer (Acura of Boston) and they said the same thing but they performed the rest of the newly added steps in SB and also they perform some ABS and VSA updates. It looks like my slight delay has also gone and my transmission is like butter. So with the 15-038 update I did earlier together with the latest update and 19 inch wheels and Michelin pilot sport AS3 tyres its like I m driving a new car. I cant wait to have gone pass 1000 miles so I can play with the IDS. So far I m loving it. Now I have a 2015 C300 also but it looks like Acura is slowly taking away the crown from Mercedes. Only thing missing is low end torque.
9SpeedTran (10-27-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf

Sounds like something similar to TSB 15-034 back from July here in the US :

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-034.PDF
mapleloaf (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Looks quite similar. It will be interesting to see if and how it changes shifts.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Maple, I haven't received that letter but here's hoping it fixes your transmission! Please update with your results so fellow canadian bacons can be kept in the loop.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
I have good news for a change!

I took my 2015 TLX i4 in again yesterday for ongoing transmission issues, i.e. hard down shifting which feels as if involved in rear-end accident. It seems that this update has FINALLY addressed my problem. Unlike the previous updates applied to my vehicle, there is now a noticeable improvement in the way the car drives. It was something I noticed within the first minute or two on the road. My invoice says they performed ECM/PCM update as per bulletin 15-021.

Now, if they could just get my heat working properly, I might be happy with Acura again!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by le^2
Maple, I haven't received that letter but here's hoping it fixes your transmission! Please update with your results so fellow canadian bacons can be kept in the loop.
You an check the Acura recall page to see if it's applicable to your vehicle:

Lookup
Old 10-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Instructor

I did, says my vehicle is up to date - Feb 2015 build date with 3rd gear shift issue
Old 10-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by le^2
I did, says my vehicle is up to date - Feb 2015 build date with 3rd gear shift issue
Don't believe what you see on that page. Unless you've been to the dealer recently and got updates there are a bunch of TSB's not installed. Look instead at the TSBs themselves--http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/tlx-recalls/7889-list-2015-acura-tlx-tsbs-usa.html.

For instance the product update 15-34 requires Database Update 25-JUN-2015 or later. You probably do not have that since your build is February.
le^2 (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Good to know thanks, I'll stop by my dealer when I'm back as I'm leaving for vacation on Friday.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bdwpac81
I have good news for a change!

I took my 2015 TLX i4 in again yesterday for ongoing transmission issues, i.e. hard down shifting which feels as if involved in rear-end accident. It seems that this update has FINALLY addressed my problem. Unlike the previous updates applied to my vehicle, there is now a noticeable improvement in the way the car drives. It was something I noticed within the first minute or two on the road. My invoice says they performed ECM/PCM update as per bulletin 15-021.

Now, if they could just get my heat working properly, I might be happy with Acura again!
We had that update done before our collision repair. It drove really smoothly for four days before I had the problem. It's been okay for "around the town" driving but I can't really trust it for highway traffic and precise lane changes. Hope your experience is better.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Acuras have LONG had an odd quirk where the accelerator seems to stop working for a second under certain situations...Brake and slow 'way down, then get back on the gas and often nothing happens for several long heartbeats.

The awkward thing is that that is a fairly common thing to do in city traffic ...
My 2005 Camry (5-speed) does the same thing! If I upgrade to a TLX, I probably wouldn't even notice it, I'm so used to it after 10 years.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

So I go in tomorrow for what seems to be the Canadian equivalent to the 15-038. I have to say all of the updates seem to produce variable results, but i hope to be satisfied, even though, much as Mike TX, I have learned to control most of the first two shifts with throttle. It would be nice to smooth them out and reduce the little bit of hunting/lunging I sometimes feel. However, i will be happy with improved shifting in all RPM bands. I'll report back.

BTW, even though we have heated rear seats, 4 door locking/unlocking, heated steering wheel, etc, we are behind on the transmission updates!
Old 11-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

So got the transmission update done. I didn't have great expectations so I am not surprised this was not a fix all update. I will wait another day or two before posting details, as I need to test out different situations. It definitely has reduced the downshift lag when you slow a bit and then floor it to pass. That's a good thing. More soon.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:03 PM
8th Gear

How do I check if I have the latest update so I know if I need to bring it in?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
My dealer in town hasn't gotten the new updates yet. They said that other people have been coming in with the same issues. I have it as well, occasionally, even though my car is an August 2015 build.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I woul dbe curious to see how much Acura has lost $$ wise by going with ZF as a stop gap measure while they develop their in-house tranny for the upcoming TLXs. IN my opinion, they would have been much further ahead by dropping the 6-speed auto/6speed manual but I also know that doing so would have caused a backlash in the auto press world. I doubt Acura expected that they would have to invest so much time and effort in trying to make the ZF unit adapt to the TLX. Even if they would have used another type of tranny - Didn't I read somewhere that the 8 speed unit from ZF was better than this unit?
Old 11-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
I woul dbe curious to see how much Acura has lost $$ wise by going with ZF as a stop gap measure while they develop their in-house tranny for the upcoming TLXs. IN my opinion, they would have been much further ahead by dropping the 6-speed auto/6speed manual but I also know that doing so would have caused a backlash in the auto press world. I doubt Acura expected that they would have to invest so much time and effort in trying to make the ZF unit adapt to the TLX. Even if they would have used another type of tranny - Didn't I read somewhere that the 8 speed unit from ZF was better than this unit?
That 8 speed unit has great reviews. It's just made for rear wheel vehicles though, I believe.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Oh well that explains it....Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I'm more questioning why they didn't just build a beefier version of their own 8DCT from the I4?
Old 11-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

So after 3 days of driving my car after Friday morning's transmission update, and doing as many stops and starts as possible in various modes, and testing the downshifting + rapid acceleration, I can report the following:

The Good

1. As mentioned previously, the lag between downshifting and then rapid acceleration is somewhat less noticeable and no longer a concern.

2. The first upshift from 1-2 initially occurred without jerkiness, albeit with higher revs, under 2k rpm (as before), between 2-3 and above 3 for quick starts (most of the time).

The Not so Good

1. I could usually start off in ECO and move to Normal, keeping most of my first two shifts smooth and under the 2k rpm. After the update, they are still relatively smooth under the 2k, but it is more difficult to keep them at that level, even with normal acceleration, as the tranny seems to be set up to rev higher now. That also negatively effects fuel economy.

2. Previously for a fast start, I could shift fairly consistently without jerkiness over 3k for both shifts. That initially was still the case after the update, but most of my 2-3 shifts, even if at or over 3k, are still notched/jerky.

In summary, rapid acceleration while driving at medium speeds is quicker. First shift has a marginal improvement, although that seems to be waning, and 2-3 shift is worse as far as reducing or eliminating it. Not at all satisfied and will be going in Monday morning to review with the Service Manager. My results seems to parallel the experience of many US owners in the forum who got the 15-38 update. Not sure where this will lead, But I expect Acura Canada to step up with a better remedy (15-40?).
Old 11-09-2015, 02:07 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I'm more questioning why they didn't just build a beefier version of their own 8DCT from the I4?
The 8DCT is huge... it won't fit under the hood with the V6 even if it could take the torque. Plus I'm not sure it is built to drive a SH-AWD system.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 AM
Banned

he system actually steers SH-AWD. It fits into what I'm pretty sure, I imagine so altered his car, get a grade.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rexsuv
he system actually steers SH-AWD. It fits into what I'm pretty sure, I imagine so altered his car, get a grade.

justnspace (11-15-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:42 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by ATXTLX
What, you don't understand plain English?

justnspace (11-15-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Instructor

I am normally ok with figuring out abbreviated sentences, or computer / keyboard errors.. but that one just lost me.
justnspace (11-15-2015)

Quick Reply: New hope for rough shift issues?