My TLX Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
My TLX Review

Now that I've surpassed 10,000 miles (in just over 5 months O_O) I think it's time for me to put down some sort of review. I should start by mentioning that my last car was a 2007 Accord SE. I loved that car. I drove it for 8 years and 130,000 miles. I would still be driving it if my mom hadn't nagged me about getting a new car for 6 months. So when I finally went car shopping, I set out for another Accord, but maybe a little better.

The model I chose was the V6 SH-AWD Technology Package Super Freedom Edition. I added on splash guards and fog lights. Exterior is Crystal Black Pearl, interior is Greystone.

The Good
1. The driving feel. Some have noted that it feels a little numb, but I think I'm still getting a comfortable amount of feedback from the car. To me, the feedback noticeably increased after about 5,000 miles in the car. Even with the stupidly divisive electronic power steering, I feel it still drives like a Honda, and that's what I wanted.

2. The ride. I know this probably overlaps quite a bit with the first point, but I wanted to make a special note of it. It's much more comfortable than my old car and handles crappy LA roads surprisingly well.

3. The gas mileage. Somehow, this V6 is getting around the same gas mileage as my I4 Accord. On my usual commute I get about 24-25 mpg on a full round trip, while my Accord averaged somewhere between 23 and 24. That plus having nearly double the power makes me feel all warm in my tummy.

4. The interior space/layout. It feels far roomier than it should be. Much like the TARDIS, it might actually be bigger on the inside.

The Meh
1. Auto idle stop. I really don't think this is a necessary feature for any car. I've learned to live with it and I'm sure I'm seeing some small benefit from having it, but I could do without it. It will always be a gimmick to me.

2. The user interface elements. The infotainment interface looks like it was pulled straight from 2007. It's dated, somewhat unclear at times, and that blue theme makes me want to pull my hair out. At the very least, though, it's functional.
Honda, please hire a single UX designer. Just one. That one designer can fix it all. I know a few, if needed.

3. The beeping. Everything beeps. Please, TLX, stop beeping at me every time I try to do something. I've turned off every beep I could find in settings... but you're still beeping at me. Please. Stahp.

The Bad or, The Please Fix Nao
1. The infotainment system. It's so slow. Painfully slow. The start-up time is just ridiculous, too. Just for funzies, I had a race between my car and my Galaxy Nexus. Turned both on at the same time, had my friend immediately look up directions on Google Maps as fast as he could, while I searched for the same address on the car. It took almost 5 minutes longer in the car. A $50 phone from 2011 can boot, load Google Maps, find directions, download another navigation app, load that one, and then find directions in the time it takes the car to find directions once. There is clearly a problem.

Solution: I'm not one to bitch about problems without offering up solutions, so here's one: Android Auto. If the car's hardware is so gimped, let a phone do the heavy lifting. Rather than having to start up the entire system, Android Auto can allow the car to load the bare minimum connectivity required to communicate with the phone. Which will end up being faster, since people don't regularly walk around with their phones off. As a bonus, while the car's systems boot up, the driver can search for their destination on their phone, so they have less downtime! It's so simple!

2. Traffic system. It's horribad. It doesn't update in a timely manner, and it doesn't even reroute like it says it will. I've been sent on a reroute once so far. It had me turn left, straight one block, turn right, straight one block, turn right, straight one block, turn left, straight. In case you haven't been keeping up, it put me BACK ON THE SAME STREET. Most ineffective "feature" ever. Just for shits and giggles, I decided to hold a rush-hour race between me and my friends. I, in my TLX, used the built-in navigation to go home. Friend #1 drove his Hyundai Genesis and used his phone's Google Maps, following it to the letter. Friend #2 drove his FR-S, but using my usual route to get home. The drive one way is approximately 29-32 miles depending on the route. My navigation took me through the absolute worst parts of traffic. It took me 1 hour and 25 minutes to get home. That's an average of about 20 mph. Friend #1 took about 45 minutes. About an average of 40 mph. Friend #2 took about 50 minutes. An average of about 36 mph. So, a pretty poor showing for the TLX. Friend #1 used his Hyundai navigation a week later and achieved a 1 hour time. That one's harder to compare, though, since we didn't experience the same exact traffic conditions.

Solution: Well, Google Maps seems pretty good...

Conclusion
Overall, I am very happy with this car. I hate giving number ratings (and I don't understand why they're a thing) so I won't be giving one. My focus areas (primarily driving feel and handling) are more than adequately satisfied. I'm convinced that this is the car that I can drive for the next 8+ years. This might not be the case for other people, but I get pretty emotionally attached to my cars for whatever reason. I almost cried when I gave up the keys to my old car, and I'm pretty sure it's going to happen again when it's time to let go of this one.

My only regret is getting a black car. As I type this, I have a dozen cookies baking in the back seat. At least I didn't get das German black leather.

Bonus!
As a reward (?) for getting all the way to the end, here's some KPop.

The following 9 users liked this post by audioxbliss:
2011TL (06-07-2015), benjaminh (06-14-2015), caligirl3 (06-06-2015), CheeseyPoofs McNut (06-07-2015), crownr0yal (06-16-2015), finebead (06-06-2015), LaCostaRacer (06-07-2015), Quandry (06-07-2015), Stew4HD (06-08-2015) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Good review!!

Just wish I could say the same about your cookies....I want my cookies!

I am curious how you find the following:

1. Transmission/throttle response
2. Seats

While I am aware there is a TSB on the homelink, how is yours working?
Old 06-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Advanced

1. It's alright, nothing special. The jerky transmission has been done to death, which is why I didn't bother to mention it. I find that putting IDS in Sport and turning traction control off results in excellent throttle response, but anything else can be a little lackluster/sluggish.

2. I like the seats; I think they're very comfortable. Some people have complained about the lack of side support, and I guess I kind of agree, but overall they fit my body very, very well.

I don't have a garage, therefore HomeLink is a 100% useless feature right now.
The following users liked this post:
weather (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the great review. Considering what you know now about the Navigation system and painfully slow infotainment system, would you still have gotten the Tech package?

I am looking to buy soon and need to make a decision as to paying roughly an extra $4000 is worth what sounds like a pretty mediocre nav system. I, however, primarily only care about the upgraded Milano leather and ELS audio system. Comfort and audio are important to me. I also see value in the blind-spot information system and LKAS technology.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Well, I didn't really have much choice since Acura decided to sell only Tech and Advance packages with SH-AWD. If I did have the option to go base, though, it would have been a very tough decision. Knowing what I know, I think I still would have gone Tech for these reasons:

1. LKAS is great for scaring the shit out of my friends and family. "Cruise control does steering, too... right?"
2. The leather feels worth it to me. It's very soft and feels great. I don't clearly remember the leatherette on the base model, but mine definitely feels better.
3. Rain-sensing windshield wipers. Much convenience.
4. The MID in the gauge cluster looks much better. It's definitely higher resolution and, in my opinion, much more usable.

The ELS audio system is pretty good, but it really depends what you put into it. I generally use Bluetooth streaming so the sound quality difference isn't actually that big.

Another thing to note is that if Android Auto makes it to the TLX (which it sounds like it should, since there was supposedly a TLX rocking Android Auto at the Chicago Auto Show earlier this year) it might not be available for the base models. If Android Auto was only released for Tech/Advance and I had bought base, I'd end up pretty angry with myself. If it ends up only on Advance, I'll probably kill somebody.
The following 2 users liked this post by audioxbliss:
nore03 (06-08-2015), TLXVanquish (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, I did NOT think that Android Auto could be retrofitted to existing TLX models. If it does, that would be flipping fantastic, as I have plenty of data on my cell phone plan that would be perfect for continuing to take advantage of Google Maps Navigation. Of course, I realize it is a big IF and maybe Android Auto will only be released on 2016 models but one can only dream...

It also didn't occur to me that Bluetooth streaming would hurt the audio quality from my phone... that's a very good point and something I will additionally consider.

was also not aware that the MID is of a higher quality in the Tech vs Base! I thought I had learned almost all there is to know about the TLX (short of owning one). needless to say, you have been very helpful.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Advanced

For a comparison, here's what the base MID looks like (thanks to Pocketman here on AZ):

And here's what the upgraded MID looks like:

Check the location of the information as well as the clarity.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:07 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent gotten a tlx but i would also agree that my 2013 camry interface is better looking than the tlx lol
Old 06-07-2015, 12:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by audioxbliss
I'm convinced that this is the car that I can drive for the next 8+ years.
Great review, but the above is one contradiction. If you re dissatisfied with the NAVI now then how are you going to feel in two or three years much less eight years? I also plan to keep mine for that length of time but as I drive for pleasure the NAVI will just be a minor annoyance.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quandry
Great review, but the above is one contradiction. If you re dissatisfied with the NAVI now then how are you going to feel in two or three years much less eight years? I also plan to keep mine for that length of time but as I drive for pleasure the NAVI will just be a minor annoyance.
I guess I didn't make it clear, but I was just disappointed that the performance isn't what it should have been. This is the first car I've owned with a built-in navigation, and I rarely have cause to use it. The shoddy performance just means I'll use it even less than I would have. All the important bits of the car work to my expectation or even exceed it, so I'll be fine driving it for years to come.

As it turns out, the last time I used the car's navigation system was April 29. I have no idea when I'll use it again.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, i have 5k on my tlx and have had it for 3-4 months now

1. I always drive in sport mode, and i just dont have or dont notice any transmission issues. Thank god, my tranny shifts/works for now.

2. nav and infotainmene is painfully slow and unresponsive. Acura really dropped the ball on this one. 2015 Acura leaves a lot to be desired. no excuse. my 2009 tl nav was much more responsive.

3. the ride and gas MPG is amazing. i do 90 percent hwy and i am averaging 31mpg. just awesome.

4. my acc sporadically refuses to engage and acura client care and dealership could care less.

So to Sum it up,i would expect 40K car to be near flawless, knowing what i know now, I probably would not have gotten one.

Last edited by open contact; 06-07-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:06 PM
2015 TLX V6 Tech

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by open contact
FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, i have 5k on my tlx and have had it for 3-4 months now

4. my acc sporadically refuses to engage and acura client care and dealership could care less.
I have had mine a week. I started the car to pair my cell phone and while idling in Park, the fan was running but the A/C did not blow cold air. I tried it on auto mode with temp set way down, and on A/C ON. I backed out of the garage and rode around the block, and the A/C was working fine. I was wondering if it was some "A/C feature" and after just starting you had to be in some "drive mode", and I hadn't read the owners manual yet. Any ideas?
Old 06-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by finebead
I have had mine a week. I started the car to pair my cell phone and while idling in Park, the fan was running but the A/C did not blow cold air. I tried it on auto mode with temp set way down, and on A/C ON. I backed out of the garage and rode around the block, and the A/C was working fine. I was wondering if it was some "A/C feature" and after just starting you had to be in some "drive mode", and I hadn't read the owners manual yet. Any ideas?
Was your cabin temperature much warmer than the outside? I find that on my TLX, it'll try to exhaust the warm cabin air for a few minutes first before turning on the AC.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:25 PM
2015 TLX V6 Tech

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by accord1999
Was your cabin temperature much warmer than the outside? I find that on my TLX, it'll try to exhaust the warm cabin air for a few minutes first before turning on the AC.
No, the car had been in the garage all morning, so the garage was warmer than the interior of the car. But what you describe is an interesting behavior. When I leave the golf course in summer, I usually put the rear windows down for a minute while I drive out the parking lot to get rid of the really hot air.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by audioxbliss
I guess I didn't make it clear, but I was just disappointed that the performance isn't what it should have been. This is the first car I've owned with a built-in navigation, and I rarely have cause to use it. The shoddy performance just means I'll use it even less than I would have. All the important bits of the car work to my expectation or even exceed it, so I'll be fine driving it for years to come.

As it turns out, the last time I used the car's navigation system was April 29. I have no idea when I'll use it again.
I understand your frustrations with the navigation- I have lived with the slowness for almost 9 years. The biggest frustration is if you're in an unfamiliar area and you just want to know whether to turn left or right at the next juncture and don't need the entire route mapped.

I still use my navigation and like it more than my iphone in a few ways. Just used it today to find a brew/pub I had a general idea of location while my car was already running. I use red lights to interact with the navigation and that seems to mitigate things a little- again it's the issue of what to do next that drives me nuts. I wish the nav could figure out the next juncture first and then do the full route- that would go a long way in handling my frustrations with it.

That was a great review nevertheless.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 06-07-2015 at 07:01 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Good review...is the Nav Traffic on the TLX still controlled by Sirius/XM?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by finebead

Finebead, I think Open Contact is referencing his "Adaptive Cruise Control". I maybe wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what he was meaning.

Last edited by a35tl; 06-07-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by a32tl
Finebead, I think Open Contact is referencing his "Adaptive Cruise Control". I maybe wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what he was meaning.
Thank you, AC works fine, adaptive cruise has been very spotty
Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Good review...is the Nav Traffic on the TLX still controlled by Sirius/XM?
I have no idea. The traffic subscription is now through AcuraLink, though I know the older systems required a Sirius/XM subscription for traffic info.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I appreciate the input, however, I am confused as to why it would take anyone 5 minutes to find an address on the navigation system, especially in the US. This is one step voice command, or about 15-20 seconds to search and load. In Canada, we don't have the 1 step voice, but I can do the combo voice/buttons in a few seconds more. Perhaps reviewing the manual might help? I also have no issues with the infotainment system - again I review manuals if I have an issue once. It may not be the fastest or have the most advanced graphics, but I find it crystal clear and functional. I'll give up a bit to get the superior ELS sound system any day.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I know this video has been around, but perhaps it bears repeating given some of the concerns expressed above. There are others that deal with different aspects of the Infotainment system.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:54 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I appreciate the input, however, I am confused as to why it would take anyone 5 minutes to find an address on the navigation system, especially in the US. This is one step voice command, or about 15-20 seconds to search and load. In Canada, we don't have the 1 step voice, but I can do the combo voice/buttons in a few seconds more. Perhaps reviewing the manual might help? I also have no issues with the infotainment system - again I review manuals if I have an issue once. It may not be the fastest or have the most advanced graphics, but I find it crystal clear and functional. I'll give up a bit to get the superior ELS sound system any day.
Real men don't read manual! LOL!!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I tend to agree with your assessment, but I don't have many issues with the infotainment system. I don't use the Nav a lot, but it seems fine to me. I have the Advance model and I use the steering wheel w/ voice commands and it responds pretty well and fairly fast IMO. I would also like to see a little more of an updated interface, but it's not horrendous and I've seen worse. I've commented already how I'd like to have the ability to make modifications to the interface as long as it wouldn't hinder key operations, but that's not going to happen so the best we can hope for are updates. I thought that Acura/Honda was going to introduce Apple Car Play and I'd LOOOVVVEEE that, but it may not be backwards compatible for 2015 models but You do know that the blue color of the dual screens can be changed to another color right? I have mine set to red and it looks a good.

I also have no issues with the tranny/engine/suspension and I love the way the car handles and my only complaint would be at highway speeds there may be a little delay in acceleration unless in Sport + mode. I love all the nannies and I don't find them at all distracting or intrusive and I hope I never rely on them because they can fail, so I'll keep as much control as I can but it's nice to have a second set of eyes at times.

On a side note: I don't speak Korean at all, but that video was easier to understand than a recent poster's thread about comparing the TLX to a certain Toyota product. Just sayin'
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I know this video has been around, but perhaps it bears repeating given some of the concerns expressed above.
Why did you have to post that video again and raise my blood pressure again over not being able to voice enter a full address in Canada. It's just not right *&%@^.
Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
You do know that the blue color of the dual screens can be changed to another color right? I have mine set to red and it looks a good.
This is a nice touch and I tend to change colours with the seasons. My fourth change is coming up shortly.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Attn: Steven Bell
Sirius XM, has ZERO to do with the new Nav./traffic/weather
I think the TLX version/SH-AWD/Tech, blows away, any of my 5 previous Acura's
My 2012, had ZERO info on several of the main thoroughfares, in & around NYC
I.E. Belt parkway, Ocean Parkway, Coney Island Avenue, etc
BTW: Weather is now controlled by AHA streaming through your IPhone, BB, Android, etc.
Kind of weird, but that's the new technology
All in all, the newest Nav./traffic, blows away the old, IMHO
Old 06-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by open contact
Thank you, AC works fine, adaptive cruise has been very spotty
Open Contact,

I have had my TLX since December. I have used the ACC on about 5 occasions, and just yesterday, it failed to engage for the first time. I tried over and over, and for a second, I thought I had mistakenly disabled some setting in the Vehicle Settings menu. About 8 minutes later, it engaged. The ONLY difference that I noticed was at first, I was in somewhat of a heavy cluster of traffic in downtown Austin. The Nav Map did show orange. I wonder.. and this is a big wonder... if the ACC won't engage if traffic is registered? I may be very ignorant about this.. but when it engaged finally, the traffic was back to green on the map, and I was sailing smoothly with my ACC on again.

..Just a random thought..
Old 06-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
Open Contact,

I have had my TLX since December. I have used the ACC on about 5 occasions, and just yesterday, it failed to engage for the first time. I tried over and over, and for a second, I thought I had mistakenly disabled some setting in the Vehicle Settings menu. About 8 minutes later, it engaged. The ONLY difference that I noticed was at first, I was in somewhat of a heavy cluster of traffic in downtown Austin. The Nav Map did show orange. I wonder.. and this is a big wonder... if the ACC won't engage if traffic is registered? I may be very ignorant about this.. but when it engaged finally, the traffic was back to green on the map, and I was sailing smoothly with my ACC on again.

..Just a random thought..
hi

Mine fails to engage in open highway. I use it everyday though, most time it works ok but sometimes i hear the dreaded "ACC off"
Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
The Nav Map did show orange. I wonder.. and this is a big wonder... if the ACC won't engage if traffic is registered? I may be very ignorant about this.. but when it engaged finally, the traffic was back to green on the map, and I was sailing smoothly with my ACC on again.
It is very unlikely that they are related, and I think it is more likely a software glitch. But having said that, the NAVI display is software controlled so only the designers might know if there is some connection. Turn the car off then on again will likely resolve the ACC off glitch.
ATXTLX (06-08-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Great review, and I was mesmerized by the adorable girls in the video at the end.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Dealership Relations

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the infotainment system. It's user friendly and versatile. A small bit of coaching is required to fully understand it, but once you get the basic fundamentals down it's awesome. Also, there are many settings that can be customized and tailored to your lifestyle. As far as the startup speed, yeah--I can see that as an opportunity.

As far as aesthetics, here's what my current set up looks like.
mapleloaf (06-22-2015)