My Thoughts on the new A-Spec TLX

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017 | 08:51 AM
Racer

My Thoughts on the new A-Spec TLX

Hey Guys,

I don't post much, but I thought I owe it to the TLX to share my thoughts to all of you, especially those who are contemplating the purchase of one of them. First off, let me start by saying I'm a previous owner of an early build 2015 TLX SH-AWD Tech. I didn't have as many problems as some have, but I did have the usual harsh shifting Tranny, Vibration at high speed, laggy acceleration and gear hunting etc. So needless to say, I liked the car, but was not in love with it like I used to be with my 4G TL AWD Manual that I traded for the TLX. The TLX did not excite me like I expected it to. I have since gotten rid of my TLX, not so much because I hated the car, just because my family needs have changed and I needed an SUV. So I traded her in for a 17 MDX SH-AWD Navi, which we absolutely love. My second car is a 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Limited, which is worth noting as you will realize after you read my thoughts on the TLX.

So on to my thoughts.....let me say that coming from a previous owner of a 2015 TLX, the new 2018 TLX is like a totally different car. I had the opportunity to drive both the ASpec V6 AWD Tech, and a non ASpec V6 AWD Tech as service loaners on two occasions. The improvements Acura made were evident the moment I started driver. The transmission was absolutely spectacular. No harsh shifts. Smooth as ever. Could not even feel the shifts at all. They totally got the 1st and 2nd gear hard shift issue solved. Throttle response was instant. No lagging whatsoever. Instant response, and the car no longer felt sluggish. It actually feels like a near 300hp car, and compared to my Q50, it feels just as fast as that cars 328hp. Suspension on the Aspec is phenomenal. Perfect balance between comfort and stiffness. Car sticks like glue, and feels planted and wide. Paddle shifts are now instant. No more shifting and waiting for the transmission to do it's thing. It's instant. It's actually enjoyable now using the paddles. Engine start stop feature has been smoothed out. The Non Aspec version is a little softer, but still handles remarkably well in corners etc. There was no vibrations felt at higher speeds for either the Aspec or the Non Aspec.

I could go on about the improvements of this car, but don't want to start rambling. I know a lot of people hate on the car and thing it's priced to high etc. for an Acura TLX. But I think a lot of your perceptions might be based on the 2015-2017 TLX and the issues they had. If you spend some time with the new and improved 2018 TLX, you will find it hard to beat based on the price and value you get. I actually honestly think I like it more than my Q50 now, and that's a bold statement for me because I thought the Q50 was far superior when I owned the TLX and the Q50 at the same time. This new TLX, especially the Aspec is an incredible car, and I am happy to say that this improved car now Excites me. So much so that I may be considering flipping the Q50 for an Aspec SH-AWD Tech.

I hope you guys find this post helpful.
The following 12 users liked this post by Acura2010:
07wdptl-s (08-04-2017), 9SpeedTran (08-08-2017), a35tl (08-03-2017), FLYGUY31 (08-03-2017), hadokenuh (08-04-2017), justnspace (08-03-2017), jyrtl (08-08-2017), mapleloaf (08-04-2017), neuronbob (08-03-2017), Speed_Racer (08-03-2017), steve_97060 (08-05-2017), Tony Pac (08-09-2017) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-03-2017 | 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Not to be a party pooper but before going out to get an Aspec, shouldn't you at least test drive the new Q50? Infiniti also has made changes to it, including having much more horsepower but at a premium of course. Saying the TLX got better without touching the competition is not really a fair point.
On a side note, the Aspec really is THAT much better compared to the 15-17 models. Honestly if those had all the improvements of the MMC (minus design changes), this forum would be pretty much quiet except for "I love it" comments lol
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
justnspace (08-03-2017), TacoBello (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017 | 09:26 AM

the perception damage has already been done, imo.
first impressions are hard to beat!
Old 08-03-2017 | 09:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Not to be a party pooper but before going out to get an Aspec, shouldn't you at least test drive the new Q50? Infiniti also has made changes to it, including having much more horsepower but at a premium of course. Saying the TLX got better without touching the competition is not really a fair point.
On a side note, the Aspec really is THAT much better compared to the 15-17 models. Honestly if those had all the improvements of the MMC (minus design changes), this forum would be pretty much quiet except for "I love it" comments lol
Hey, Actually I have driven the new Q50. I still own my 2015 Q50 with the 3.7L, so when i went for service my sales guy gave me the key an RS400. That car is incredible, but it's not a fair comparison. More comparable would be the 3.0T which I haven't driven yet, but I know it will be quicker than the TLX by a long shot. With 300hp & 295lb ft. of torque, the TLX can't touch it. at like you mentioned the more horsepower comes at a higher price. If you want to compare the value part of it, to get all the safety tech that is standard with the TLX you have to add on the packages to the Infiniti which bumps the price up quite a bit. But what I was getting at is other than the engines, the q50 interior, size and comfort is still the same. Not saying the Q50 is not a good car, I know it is, I own one. But if you value a little more room and comfort, then I think the TLX is better in that regards. That is subjective though, other people value different things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura2010:
FLYGUY31 (08-03-2017), pyrodan007 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017 | 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Acura2010
But if you value a little more room and comfort, then I think the TLX is better in that regards. That is subjective though, other people value different things.
Fully agree with you on that one! It's the main reason why I immediately crossed out the IS 350. Not because of price or the infotainment system ... I just don't fit comfortably with hump and the back seat is borderline useless for families with more than kids lol
The true blocker for Acura this time is price versus market value, people have less problems shopping around when difference is smaller. Especially when safety equipment is consistently becoming standard everywhere.
Old 08-04-2017 | 02:08 PM
Pro

I always viewed TLX as a downgrade compared to Q50. However, after test driving the Aspec my mind has changed to TLX. Even though Q50 is faster the driving dynamics are way behind the Aspec. Even the interior seems slightly better than Q50. If the Aspec had 400 horsepower it would be a stellar sedan. Let's hope Type S fixes that. We may have to wait few years for it as I don't see Acura releasing it when the new generation TLX comes out. Most likely it will be done at the refresh.
Old 08-04-2017 | 04:36 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

I don't post much, but I thought I owe it to the TLX to share my thoughts to all of you, especially those who are contemplating the purchase of one of them. First off, let me start by saying I'm a previous owner of an early build 2015 TLX SH-AWD Tech. I didn't have as many problems as some have, but I did have the usual harsh shifting Tranny, Vibration at high speed, laggy acceleration and gear hunting etc. So needless to say, I liked the car, but was not in love with it like I used to be with my 4G TL AWD Manual that I traded for the TLX. The TLX did not excite me like I expected it to. I have since gotten rid of my TLX, not so much because I hated the car, just because my family needs have changed and I needed an SUV. So I traded her in for a 17 MDX SH-AWD Navi, which we absolutely love. My second car is a 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Limited, which is worth noting as you will realize after you read my thoughts on the TLX.

So on to my thoughts.....let me say that coming from a previous owner of a 2015 TLX, the new 2018 TLX is like a totally different car. I had the opportunity to drive both the ASpec V6 AWD Tech, and a non ASpec V6 AWD Tech as service loaners on two occasions. The improvements Acura made were evident the moment I started driver. The transmission was absolutely spectacular. No harsh shifts. Smooth as ever. Could not even feel the shifts at all. They totally got the 1st and 2nd gear hard shift issue solved. Throttle response was instant. No lagging whatsoever. Instant response, and the car no longer felt sluggish. It actually feels like a near 300hp car, and compared to my Q50, it feels just as fast as that cars 328hp. Suspension on the Aspec is phenomenal. Perfect balance between comfort and stiffness. Car sticks like glue, and feels planted and wide. Paddle shifts are now instant. No more shifting and waiting for the transmission to do it's thing. It's instant. It's actually enjoyable now using the paddles. Engine start stop feature has been smoothed out. The Non Aspec version is a little softer, but still handles remarkably well in corners etc. There was no vibrations felt at higher speeds for either the Aspec or the Non Aspec.

I could go on about the improvements of this car, but don't want to start rambling. I know a lot of people hate on the car and thing it's priced to high etc. for an Acura TLX. But I think a lot of your perceptions might be based on the 2015-2017 TLX and the issues they had. If you spend some time with the new and improved 2018 TLX, you will find it hard to beat based on the price and value you get. I actually honestly think I like it more than my Q50 now, and that's a bold statement for me because I thought the Q50 was far superior when I owned the TLX and the Q50 at the same time. This new TLX, especially the Aspec is an incredible car, and I am happy to say that this improved car now Excites me. So much so that I may be considering flipping the Q50 for an Aspec SH-AWD Tech.

I hope you guys find this post helpful.
i left Acura back in 2014 for the Lexus is350 at that time I was really disappointed when Acura released the tlx that look nothing like the concept. I have been waiting for 3 years for Acura to get there act together and I must say they did a great job with the tlx in aspec form. I am now a proud owner of one. Everything you have stated about the car is very true from the buttery transmission to the overall design, so happy to be back.
The following 3 users liked this post by 07wdptl-s:
a35tl (08-04-2017), jyrtl (08-08-2017), mapleloaf (08-04-2017)
Old 08-07-2017 | 05:21 PM
Instructor

My 2018 TLX ASpec has been great so far. Looked at 2017 Lexus IS350 FSport. Choose the Acura instead. Glad I did.
Also, like it better than 2014 Audi A4 SLine I traded for Acura TLX Aspec.
The following users liked this post:
TLXTXDL (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017 | 10:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by steig
My 2018 TLX ASpec has been great so far. Looked at 2017 Lexus IS350 FSport. Choose the Acura instead. Glad I did.
Also, like it better than 2014 Audi A4 SLine I traded for Acura TLX Aspec.
I came from a similar scenario, and came to the same conclusion; even test drove a Lexus IS350 Fsport. Do you mind if I ask:
  • Why'd you not purchase the Lexus?
  • Why do you like it better than the A4 SLine?
I have a lot of reasons for each question, but for me the TLX had (standard in some cases) the best of what both offered. The Lexus for me was driver focused, but felt too small in size for other people and items. Despite how cool the dynamic dash is, I wanted some like CarPlay or Android Auto. I don't really like the Lexus interior controls. With regards to the Audi, I was just tired of the maint$ and looming expensive failures. I trust Honda and Acura reliability. I also like owning N/A engines, and Audi doesn't really offer that anymore.
Old 08-08-2017 | 04:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dmski
I always viewed TLX as a downgrade compared to Q50. However, after test driving the Aspec my mind has changed to TLX. Even though Q50 is faster the driving dynamics are way behind the Aspec. Even the interior seems slightly better than Q50. If the Aspec had 400 horsepower it would be a stellar sedan. Let's hope Type S fixes that. We may have to wait few years for it as I don't see Acura releasing it when the new generation TLX comes out. Most likely it will be done at the refresh.
LOL
I own a Q50 planning to move to the TLX
but I cannot agree with you
Maybe I am mistaken, which part of driving dynamic of the Q50 is WAYYY BEHIND the TLX ?
I test drove the 2.4 and the V6, I must have to say, comfort wise, Acura win, driving wise, the Q50 (2014 300HP one) is a beast, so fast so much pull so fun.
Compare to acura TLX, which I strongly believes looks like a sports car, but isn't, if you are talking about the 2.4, yes is a sports car, the V6 transmission is just too sloppy, gear shifting is too slow to be classify as a sports sedan
Old 08-08-2017 | 08:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rs1985
LOL
I own a Q50 planning to move to the TLX
but I cannot agree with you
Maybe I am mistaken, which part of driving dynamic of the Q50 is WAYYY BEHIND the TLX ?
I test drove the 2.4 and the V6, I must have to say, comfort wise, Acura win, driving wise, the Q50 (2014 300HP one) is a beast, so fast so much pull so fun.
Compare to acura TLX, which I strongly believes looks like a sports car, but isn't, if you are talking about the 2.4, yes is a sports car, the V6 transmission is just too sloppy, gear shifting is too slow to be classify as a sports sedan
Did they have turbo 300hp engine in 2014 or are you taking about 328 hp V6 NA? That infiniti V6 NA had 0-60 about 5.8 seconds, same as Aspec. In any case, you should go with what you feel after driving the cars. That is more important than what others felt or said. Enjoy...
Old 08-08-2017 | 10:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLXTXDL
I came from a similar scenario, and came to the same conclusion; even test drove a Lexus IS350 Fsport. Do you mind if I ask:
  • Why'd you not purchase the Lexus?
  • Why do you like it better than the A4 SLine?
I have a lot of reasons for each question, but for me the TLX had (standard in some cases) the best of what both offered. The Lexus for me was driver focused, but felt too small in size for other people and items. Despite how cool the dynamic dash is, I wanted some like CarPlay or Android Auto. I don't really like the Lexus interior controls. With regards to the Audi, I was just tired of the maint$ and looming expensive failures. I trust Honda and Acura reliability. I also like owning N/A engines, and Audi doesn't really offer that anymore.

Lexus IS feels small, less room inside. Android auto or car play i wanted. Prefered the look of TLX ASpec, i think acura did a very nice job on this car.
Prefer the red interior in Acura TLX ASpec.
Lexus was a 2017, Acura TLX is an 2018.
Acura MSRP was less then Lexus.
As for the Audi, dont think I will purchase another Audi, maintenance cost drives down re-sale, trade in value. I trade in cars every few years, the Audi A4 was the biggest loss I ever took on re-sale trade in value. The Audi dealers would not give me a fair trade-in price on a new Audi. From a 2014 Audi A4 SLine w/sport package to a new 2017 Audi.

TLXTXDL (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017 | 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

would you believe me if I said that the ILX has more interior space than any of the IS series?
Old 08-08-2017 | 12:43 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Originally Posted by alpha0
Did they have turbo 300hp engine in 2014 or are you taking about 328 hp V6 NA? That infiniti V6 NA had 0-60 about 5.8 seconds, same as Aspec. In any case, you should go with what you feel after driving the cars. That is more important than what others felt or said. Enjoy...
No the 3.7 Q50 is over a 1/2 second to nearly 1 second faster to 60 depending on the source than the TLX V6 and traps several more mph in the 1/4 mile. 2014 Infiniti Q50S 3.7 Test ? Review ? Car and Driver. When I drove them both the difference is quite noticeable behind the wheel.
Old 08-08-2017 | 12:57 PM
Racer

If I may, because I still have the Q50 3.7L NA engine, i can say from my experience that the 0 to 60 times between the Q50 & the V6 TLX feel to be pretty much the same behind the wheel. My feeling is that the Q50 pulls hard, and gives you that push you back in your seat feeling when you get on it. But i think it makes you think it's faster than it is because of the raspy engine qualities. As i mentioned before, the Q50 engine is a beast, but not as refined as the Honda V6. The TLX gets up and going very smooth. The Q50 is a little opposite. I think the 3.7L NA engine and the V6 from the Acura are neck in neck. They both have the same amount of Torque. Q50 has 328hp, but it's peak horsepower is at a ridiculous high rpm. Almost redline. So for those that are not redlining their cars everyday, but do like to have some fun by getting on the Gas every now and then, it would be hard to tell which one is actually faster in everyday driving. I'm talking of course comparing the Q50 3.7L NA against the refined 2018 TLX V6. The changes with the Transmission, and responsiveness of the 18 TLX brings this match up very close. The Q50 was absolutely quicker and felt it compared to my 2015 TLX. It would be a different story though with the new 3.0T 300hp and 295lb. ft of tourque engine from Infiniti. That will surley feel a lot more powerful then the Honda V6 with that torque coming in around the 1700rpm mark.
F23A4 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-08-2017 | 02:53 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

If I may, because I still have the Q50 3.7L NA engine, i can say from my experience that the 0 to 60 times between the Q50 & the V6 TLX feel to be pretty much the same behind the wheel. My feeling is that the Q50 pulls hard, and gives you that push you back in your seat feeling when you get on it. But i think it makes you think it's faster than it is because of the raspy engine qualities. As i mentioned before, the Q50 engine is a beast, but not as refined as the Honda V6. The TLX gets up and going very smooth. The Q50 is a little opposite. I think the 3.7L NA engine and the V6 from the Acura are neck in neck. They both have the same amount of Torque. Q50 has 328hp, but it's peak horsepower is at a ridiculous high rpm. Almost redline. So for those that are not redlining their cars everyday, but do like to have some fun by getting on the Gas every now and then, it would be hard to tell which one is actually faster in everyday driving. I'm talking of course comparing the Q50 3.7L NA against the refined 2018 TLX V6. The changes with the Transmission, and responsiveness of the 18 TLX brings this match up very close. The Q50 was absolutely quicker and felt it compared to my 2015 TLX. It would be a different story though with the new 3.0T 300hp and 295lb. ft of tourque engine from Infiniti. That will surley feel a lot more powerful then the Honda V6 with that torque coming in around the 1700rpm mark.
It has already been tested with the "revised" tranny and it still puts down nearly the same 5.7 to 60, 14.2 @ 100 1/4 mile, so it may feel better but the numbers are still the same. I'm still waiting to see a review of the 300 hp 3.0T Q50. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-driver-page-4
Old 08-08-2017 | 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

Well
try with your Q50, when you change gear with the paddle shifter on the TLX, there is a very noticeable lag, like a second before it will change gear
the Q50 is very fast in terms of that
Old 08-09-2017 | 04:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Honestly, I don't perceive the Q50 as a direct competitor to the TLX V6. Rather the Maxima is the offering from Nissan which compares more favorably. I feel likewise with respect to the Lexus IS, perceiving ES350 as a more direct competitor.

Maybe Honda should bring back a more viable TSX alternative to the IS/Q50, because the TLX will not fill that role in its current state.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017 | 06:46 AM
Instructor

Yeah I've seen and test drove the new TLX a spec multiple times and I feel that it is a very different car compared to the previous versions that I test drove. Currently I have a 2016 Acura ILX with a spec and tech. I was looking at that new sport hybrid MDX in fathom blue pearl but I'm also Cross shopping with this new TLX in blue exterior in red interior. I mainly wanted to MDX for the space but sometimes I think the TLX will do just fine for me and my wife as we don't have kids just yet. May not have kids for another couple of years and even so if we do have a child it will be one at a time of course. So maybe the TLX would be a good buy? I also test drove the MDX and it was a good SUV to drive. Seems like the TLX also had good interior space and trunk space. Much bigger than my current ILX of course.
Old 08-09-2017 | 07:50 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by F23A4
Honestly, I don't perceive the Q50 as a direct competitor to the TLX V6. Rather the Maxima is the offering from Nissan which compares more favorably. I feel likewise with respect to the Lexus IS, perceiving ES350 as a more direct competitor.

Maybe Honda should bring back a more viable TSX alternative to the IS/Q50, because the TLX will not fill that role in its current state.
i always figured Acura made a mistake dumping the TSX
Old 08-09-2017 | 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4

I agree that the ES350 and Maxima (even the Avalon) are more of competitors to the TLX, but only FWD version.

The SH-AWD does compete (loosely) with the IS, Q50, 3-series, ...

Basically, there are buyers shopping for comfortable ride and sporty ride. The 4G TL and TLX are meant to do just that, at least in my opinion, with the FWD and SH-AWD versions.
Old 08-09-2017 | 01:28 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
No the 3.7 Q50 is over a 1/2 second to nearly 1 second faster to 60 depending on the source than the TLX V6 and traps several more mph in the 1/4 mile. 2014 Infiniti Q50S 3.7 Test ? Review ? Car and Driver. When I drove them both the difference is quite noticeable behind the wheel.
Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
It has already been tested with the "revised" tranny and it still puts down nearly the same 5.7 to 60, 14.2 @ 100 1/4 mile, so it may feel better but the numbers are still the same. I'm still waiting to see a review of the 300 hp 3.0T Q50.
Few issues:

1. The OP's Q50 is a AWD model, the article you posted is for a Q50S 3.7 RWD. When you compare the TLX AWD V6 vs TLX FWD V6, the FWD model is also faster - 100mph vs 103mph 1/4 mile trap speed: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5 V-6 FWD Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
2. You posted one C/D test of the Q50S 3.7 that does 0-60mph in 4.9s and 1/4 mile in 13.5 sec @ 104 mph. In another C/D test with the Q50S RWD, it does 0-60mph in 5.2s and 1/4 mile in 13.9@102mph: 2014 Infiniti Q50S Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Obviously RWD has traction advantage, but if we take the average of the two 1/4 mile trap speeds, 102mph and 104mph, that's 103mph. That is the same trap speed as a 2WD TLX V6 as shown above. It's also interesting to note that in one of the Q50S 3.7 RWD test, it does 0-100mph in 13.2s whereas the TLX V6 FWD does it in 13.3s. That looks to be pretty close.

This isn't to say the Q50S is not faster than the TLX, but perhaps the difference isn't really that big especially for day to day driving.
Old 08-09-2017 | 02:27 PM
Racer

I was wondering how Q50 with NA V6 engine with same torque ratings as TLX can go 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. That is really fast.
Old 08-10-2017 | 12:19 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The one that did 4.9s has better tires.
Old 08-10-2017 | 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by iforyou
Few issues:

1. The OP's Q50 is a AWD model, the article you posted is for a Q50S 3.7 RWD. When you compare the TLX AWD V6 vs TLX FWD V6, the FWD model is also faster - 100mph vs 103mph 1/4 mile trap speed: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5 V-6 FWD Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
2. You posted one C/D test of the Q50S 3.7 that does 0-60mph in 4.9s and 1/4 mile in 13.5 sec @ 104 mph. In another C/D test with the Q50S RWD, it does 0-60mph in 5.2s and 1/4 mile in 13.9@102mph: 2014 Infiniti Q50S Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Obviously RWD has traction advantage, but if we take the average of the two 1/4 mile trap speeds, 102mph and 104mph, that's 103mph. That is the same trap speed as a 2WD TLX V6 as shown above. It's also interesting to note that in one of the Q50S 3.7 RWD test, it does 0-100mph in 13.2s whereas the TLX V6 FWD does it in 13.3s. That looks to be pretty close.

This isn't to say the Q50S is not faster than the TLX, but perhaps the difference isn't really that big especially for day to day driving.
Agreed! As an owner of the 3.5 PAWS, I can state unequivocally that aggressive throttle application from a standing start should be avoided unless one want to do burnouts. That said, I would love to see what numbers this trim could post with something stickier than all season RE97s.