My thoughts after two weeks in the TLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
My thoughts after two weeks in the TLX

I thought I would post some of my thoughts after two weeks of owning the TLX. I feel I’m the target demographic that Acura was targeting – 43 y/o male - and come from a 2007 Acura TL w/NAV.

I’ve owned a Honda product since 1995 – a used 1989 Acura Legend L (this was a heck of a car), a 2000 Honda Accord EX-V6, a 2007 TL and now a 2015 TLC SH-AWD Tech so I wanted to look at other brands to see what else was there.

Lexus IS350 AWD – This was a nice car but small. My legs kept hitting the door and the center console, not allowing my legs to spread out. It was also $50,500, which is my much that I wanted to spend or afford.

Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD – I just didn’t like the car. I liked the looks but didn’t look how the car handled (steering was terrible) or how the infotainment system worked.

2016 Nissan Maxima - This was a really nice car. If Nissan offered AWD and didn’t have the CVT then I would have moved this car to the top of the list. The interior was great and it drove really well. The looks are subjective and would need some getting used it. However, CVT is terrible and the lack of AWD kept me from buying this car.

Volvo S60 – We owned a Volvo once and I swore it would never happen again. However, the wife wanted to go the dealership just to make sure. The one thing about Volvos is the seats – if you never sat in a Volvo go to a dealer and sit in the seats. Nothing short of amazing.

On to the TLX. I knew the minute I sat in the car it was a Honda product and that’s a good thing. The car drives very well and, as many have stated, is very quiet. The seats are very comfortable (not Volvo like) and would make any drive easy and relaxing, whether it was around town or a long cruise on the highway. The technology in the car is incredible and you do get a lot of bang for the buck. I don’t feel there is any car in this class that competes with the TLX – the 3 series/4 series/A4 or a notch above while the 2 series.A3 are just below the TLX – and Acura should take advantage of this. The car handles really well and I can push this car in ways the TL yell uncle. I’m sure the SH-AWD helps immensely.

On to some of the negatives –

HVAC controls – this system needs some rework. The auto button on the 3G would set the drivers and passenger temp to the same, not so in the TLX. I also miss the Sync button that did the same thing.

Two-screen – this I’m still getting used but after two weeks it’s starting to makes sense

Transmission – I wont go into too much detail but the 5-4-3 shift is scary and unnerving. I don’t experience the rough shifts but I believe it is a big problem. I can’t understand how Honda/Acura let this car into production with a transmission like this. The transmission is worse that a woman in a shoe store – indecisive on what to do next.

LKAS/Auto-Idle stop/Brake hold – If I turn them on/off the setting isn’t remembered and always sets to the default. This is just stupid.

I don’t have an answer if I would buy the car again if I had to. While there is nothing in the market in this price point for the features you get, I don’t think Acura hit the nail squarely on the head. Will the MMC change this? Not sure.

I’ll share more as time goes on but after two weeks the car is a blast to drive. I just don’t think Acura swung for the fences but did come close.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by jswift2000
HVAC controls – this system needs some rework. The auto button on the 3G would set the drivers and passenger temp to the same, not so in the TLX. I also miss the Sync button that did the same thing.
Have the same issue with my HVAC. Could push my button & sync both DS & PS temperatures.

Wonder about these things like not having the fob close the windows & lock the current car. Was able to recode the ECU to get the window close back but not the HVAC sync.

Both these features were in the 335 that the 435 replaced. Big Brother regulations?
Old 11-01-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Look again - you do have a sync "button" for the HVAC.
The following users liked this post:
Nascart (11-05-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 03:32 AM
Instructor

Yes I have a Sync button option but its not a button. Plus the auto doesnt set them to the same temp. I know its small but its annoying. Great car and these are minor.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I’ll share more as time goes on but after two weeks the car is a blast to drive. I just don’t think Acura swung for the fences but did come close.
I strongly recommend that you replace the tires with Michelin Pilot Sports, either the A/S 3's or the summer tires depending on your region, preferably on a 19" wheel. You will not believe the difference in cornering and general feel. People who have done this say it feels like they got a new car.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Yes I have a Sync button option but its not a button. Plus the auto doesnt set them to the same temp. I know its small but its annoying. Great car and these are minor.
Aye - the lack of a physical button for the seat heaters is my main nit - that and the fact that it doesn't remember when I had them on and I have to go through the process of turning them back on every time I stop/start the car.

That said - hopefully I have another month before having to worry about the heated seats!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I just typed this up and the web page lost it...

Anyway... the HVAC controls work very well for me. I set my seat to AUTO and the ventilation goes on automatically depending on the temp. Lately it has been on low, but when the temperature drops they turn off. When it was hotter they went on Medium. I imagine the heat function works the same way but it has not been cold enough here yet. My wife doesn't like the ventilated seats so her side is turned OFF. She will like the heat function so that will be set to AUTO.

I though the SYNC function did make both sides the same temp. When the wife is in the car she likes it warmer so she just hits the toggle and SYNC is shut off. I turn it back on when it is just me.

I rarely touch the HVAC controls now. I get in the car and go. Once in awhile I change the temp one degree up or down and that is a quick hit of the toggle switch. Easy. I like the HVAC controls.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I strongly recommend that you replace the tires with Michelin Pilot Sports, either the A/S 3's or the summer tires depending on your region, preferably on a 19" wheel. You will not believe the difference in cornering and general feel. People who have done this say it feels like they got a new car.
I'd be curious how well your Michelin AS/3 hold up. I had them on my A6 and there were done at 17K, far worse than summer tires I have owned. They were great tires, but for the money I was underwhelmed. Many people love them, but also complain about low tread life. Conti DWS 06 seems to be a good way to go.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I rarely touch the HVAC controls now. I get in the car and go. Once in awhile I change the temp one degree up or down and that is a quick hit of the toggle switch. Easy. I like the HVAC controls.
My experience and use is almost identical. My wife turns up the air on her side as soon as she gets in.

The automated functions in the Advance/Elite are perfect, just "set it and forget it".
Old 11-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Quandry
My experience and use is almost identical. My wife turns up the air on her side as soon as she gets in.

The automated functions in the Advance/Elite are perfect, just "set it and forget it".
I recently discovered the "Shortcuts" which allow you to save two HVAC configurations. So I have one for when I'm alone in the car, and another for when the wife is along. One is Sync'd and set to 70, the other is dual temp 70/73 and her seat turned off. So it is easy to switch back and forth.
The following users liked this post:
youngTL (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I recently discovered the "Shortcuts" which allow you to save two HVAC configurations. So I have one for when I'm alone in the car, and another for when the wife is along. One is Sync'd and set to 70, the other is dual temp 70/73 and her seat turned off. So it is easy to switch back and forth.
That's awesome. I didn't know you could do this.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Lexus IS350 AWD – This was a nice car but small. My legs kept hitting the door and the center console, not allowing my legs to spread out. It was also $50,500, which is my much that I wanted to spend or afford.
*lol* Are you buying the car so you can drive it or be ridden in it

In all seriousness, you are correct...the IS350 is a smaller car than the TLX, in fact, when I park it in teh garage next to the g/f's ILX, it is not much bigger. The cockpit is indeed tight but being a very slim guy, this is not an issue for me. It is unfortunate that many aren't able to fit comfortably in the IS because when you do, it is a great and fun car to drive (and even spread out my legs )

That being said, I am an Acura guy and when/if they bring back the passion back into the TLX, I will be back
Old 11-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
how do you save two hvac settings?
Old 11-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
*lol* Are you buying the car so you can drive it or be ridden in it

In all seriousness, you are correct...the IS350 is a smaller car than the TLX, in fact, when I park it in teh garage next to the g/f's ILX, it is not much bigger. The cockpit is indeed tight but being a very slim guy, this is not an issue for me. It is unfortunate that many aren't able to fit comfortably in the IS because when you do, it is a great and fun car to drive (and even spread out my legs )

That being said, I am an Acura guy and when/if they bring back the passion back into the TLX, I will be back
I actually had a similar problem to him. I loved a lot about the IS350 AWD, but there were a few things that just were deal breakers.

1. The differential hump right by the gas pedal. The IS350 is NOT available in RWD in Canada anymore, so you are stuck with this if you want a new one. I couldn't get comfortable as a result (I have some pretty big calf muscles lol).

2. The upper portion of the F-sport seats. My back which is on the wide side felt cramped in the seats.

3. Fuel economy on my observed route (took the same ~45 min test with the TLX SH-AWD and the IS350 AWD) was fairly abysmal. Maybe the IS350 I had was bad? The TLX got 7.8 L/100km over the same route the IS350 was at 12.7 L/100km. I drove them in very similar driving styles.

I wonder why they only offer the 6AT in the IS350AWD. I wish they'd offer the 8AT since we can't get RWD in Canada.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by open contact
how do you save two hvac settings?
Set up the HVAC the way you want it.... hit the My Shortcuts button on the upper right. If you haven't used it before you get some annoying instruction screen. Then in Shortcuts you can define short cut for HVAC, phone, destinations etc... Pick the HVAC tab (can't remember the exact name but it is obvious) and Add it to Preset 1. Then you can go back to your HVAC controls and setup a 2nd config... go to Shortcuts and Add it as Preset 2.

Then just go to the Shortcut button and pick the preset you want.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Instructor

@youngTL - the may offer the AWD with the 6-speed due to the size of the transmission, i.e. it would make the hump bigger. I just check the and the 2016 IS3X0 AWD (including F-Sprot) still use the 6sp transmission.

TRANSMISSION
Six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters