Matt Hargett discusses the 3.5L V6 and Interior with Jeff Palmer at TOV

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014 | 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Matt Hargett discusses the 3.5L V6 and Interior with Jeff Palmer at TOV

The following 3 users liked this post by CGTSX2004:
a35tl (05-08-2014), Rocketsfan (05-07-2014), Rocket_man (05-10-2014)
Old 05-07-2014 | 10:54 AM
Team Owner

Initial thoughts on the video are that it sounds like suspension tuning on the V6 and I4 models may actually be somewhat different, with the I4 looking to offer a more sporty feel while the V6 offers a more premium ride. And judging from the way he indicates that the V6 SH-AWD model is no longer intended to be a Type-S replacement, there is a greater likelihood of a future full-on sporty model to come. Also, it appears that auto start/stop is only a feature on the SH-AWD model because the V6 FWD car they were sitting in did not have the button to disable the feature.

As far as the interior goes, I can attest to the fact that the interior feels quite nice, but without a test drive, it is hard to say just how effective the sound abatement measures really are. That said, the TSX is decidedly louder than many of the competitors I have driven of late so hopefully this means that the TLX will be at least on par with others in the class.
Old 05-07-2014 | 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

I wonder if the SH-AWD will be sportier/firmer than the V6 FWD, the 4G the SH-AWD wad far stiffer and handled much better. I never would have gotten a 4G TL if the SH-AWD handled like the FWD.
Old 05-07-2014 | 08:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KeithL
I wonder if the SH-AWD will be sportier/firmer than the V6 FWD, the 4G the SH-AWD wad far stiffer and handled much better. I never would have gotten a 4G TL if the SH-AWD handled like the FWD.
Keith, I am with you here! If the SH-AWD (which is what I would get if I am to get the TLX) does not have a sportier ride than the FWD version, then BUH-BYE TLX....
Old 05-07-2014 | 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ what if it turns out like the new MDX? This vehicle has a noticeably more compliant ride then the outgoing vehicle yet is eight seconds faster around the 'ring?
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colin
^^ what if it turns out like the new MDX? This vehicle has a noticeably more compliant ride then the outgoing vehicle yet is eight seconds faster around the 'ring?
Colin, that is actually a complaint that I have with the 2014 MDX - the ride is too cushy. It's totally personal, because most people like that a lot, and prefer it over the harsher and sportier ride, but I actually prefer the firmer ride before... when I test drove the 2014, I had to be in the "Sport" mode all the time so that it drove the way that I liked it to!

BTW, I like this Matt Hargatt guy a lot. He seemed quite sincere and genuinely interested in and enthusiastic about this TLX!
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ostrich

BTW, I like this Matt Hargatt guy a lot. He seemed quite sincere and genuinely interested in and enthusiastic about this TLX!
Same here. He seems a bit nervous and sounds like he's talking company-speak, but I still like the guy.

BTW, coming from my 3G and its A-pillar, I'm glad they made the A-pillar narrower. I hate that fat thing in the 3G. lol.

He did reiterate that the 4-cylinder is 1.5s faster and the 6-cylinder is 0.5s faster.

I'm also interested in seeing exactly how quiet the thing is. It seems like he emphasized how obsessed they were with making the vehicle vault-like quiet. Hopefully they didn't go completely "ES350" with it.

I love the way the car looks in that video with a silver TLX.
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Same here. He seems a bit nervous and sounds like he's talking company-speak, but I still like the guy.

BTW, coming from my 3G and its A-pillar, I'm glad they made the A-pillar narrower. I hate that fat thing in the 3G. lol.

He did reiterate that the 4-cylinder is 1.5s faster and the 6-cylinder is 0.5s faster.

I'm also interested in seeing exactly how quiet the thing is. It seems like he emphasized how obsessed they were with making the vehicle vault-like quiet. Hopefully they didn't go completely "ES350" with it.

I love the way the car looks in that video with a silver TLX.
YES! I love that silver TLX in there. With those rims, it's a V6, I think.

I surely hope that it will NOT become an "ES350"!!!! ROTFLOL! The last time I drove a Lexus like that, I felt sea sick cos it's so boaty floaty.... LOL Thank goodness, the F Sport ones are much better now.

I think that the V6 gas mileage may be AMAZING, as he said that though it's not EPA verified, we may be getting 5 mpg more for freeway and 3 mpg more for urban! WOW!
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ostrich
I think that the V6 gas mileage may be AMAZING, as he said that though it's not EPA verified, we may be getting 5 mpg more for freeway and 3 mpg more for urban! WOW!
I have to admit the gas mileage on this thing, if it holds true and they didn't "Hyundai it", is a pretty marked improvement in SH-AWD form. The SH-AWD car is 230 lbs. lighter than the outgoing SH-AWD, so I'm sure that helped.
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:42 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

I wonder if the reason they put so much effort into making the cabin quiet is the obvious noise from the direct injection that others have pointed out in the RLX and the MDX.
Old 05-07-2014 | 10:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I wonder if the reason they put so much effort into making the cabin quiet is the obvious noise from the direct injection that others have pointed out in the RLX and the MDX.
I think that they started in this direction though, even with the RLX and MDX - supposedly they are very quiet too, with the exception of that direct injection noise. So I think that the TLX is just a further development in this same direction that they started a few years ago.
Old 05-08-2014 | 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

You know, on paper, the TLX seems to have lots to offer....Its like that great gift that comes wrapped in the ugliest paper.
Old 05-08-2014 | 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

So he mentions that the V6 SH-AWD is not meant to be a Type-S replacement and thus the suspension is more like the FWD model. YUCK!! Well if they do not offer a Type-S I think I will not be coming back.
Old 05-08-2014 | 06:04 PM
Drifting

So he mentions that the V6 SH-AWD is not meant to be a Type-S replacement and thus the suspension is more like the FWD model. YUCK!! Well if they do not offer a Type-S I think I will not be coming back.
Saying the V6 SH-AWD is not meant to be a Type-S replacement doesn't mean there won't be a Type-S replacement ...

(and no, I have no knowledge of an upcoming V6 Twin Turbo SH-LAWDY-LAWD-AWD TLX. )
Old 05-08-2014 | 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Saying the V6 SH-AWD is not meant to be a Type-S replacement doesn't mean there won't be a Type-S replacement ...

(and no, I have no knowledge of an upcoming V6 Twin Turbo SH-LAWDY-LAWD-AWD TLX. )
True, but stupid for them to not announce that right away. Why do I have to wait 3 model years for MMC to get a Type-S.
Old 05-08-2014 | 06:36 PM
Racer

I remember tlx design cheif said something like * early tlx models will not have exhaust tips.* maybe type-s version will be available with exhaust tips later?
Old 05-08-2014 | 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Because Acura is AMAZING at their marketing strategy!!
Old 05-08-2014 | 07:08 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Meh, if this true and the V6 SH-AWD trim has a soft bouncy Lexus like suspension, then all hope is gone for the TLX and my current TL 6MT will be my last Acura.
musty hustla (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014 | 10:41 PM
Drifting

So far things don't sound so great for the enthusiast TL buyer but it's too early to decide if all is lost. No 6MT is almost a deal breaker in itself for me but in a more generalized sense there are other considerations, it did lose some power to the current 3.7L and sounds as though it's taken on a more mild and calm demeanor but then again it is 230 lbs lighter, it's half an inch lower, is more aerodynamic and has 9 gears and SH is doing some different things now, probably enhanced vectoring and what not, so I would argue that they had lots of room to soften things up and refine them a bit and reduce power in the name fuel economy.

As long as it's still as or more capable, those are welcome additions (not counting the rest which is very promising on it's own), to an extent of course. On the other end, not aiming and marketing the SH as the dedicated sport model with the usual Acura enhancements and touches sort of means there is none at this time and increases the chances that there will be one later and probably doesn't have to compromise as much. Let's just hope it gets here sooner than later.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-08-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2014 | 07:10 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by docboy
Meh, if this true and the V6 SH-AWD trim has a soft bouncy Lexus like suspension, then all hope is gone for the TLX and my current TL 6MT will be my last Acura.
I don't think Acura has ever had a soft Lexus-like suspension since they retired the 1G RL. I highly doubt that will be the case here.
Old 05-09-2014 | 07:19 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Its hard to tell for sure....It's almost as if Acura is moving toward the former Lexus and Lexus moving toward the former Acura
The following 7 users liked this post by weather:
cokorote (05-09-2014), docboy (05-09-2014), fsttyms1 (05-09-2014), Gen4MDX (05-09-2014), justnspace (05-09-2014), KeithL (05-09-2014), rockyfeller (05-09-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-09-2014 | 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

True, but stupid for them to not announce that right away. Why do I have to wait 3 model years for MMC to get a Type-S.
IF there is plans for one, they should at least say its coming. It might help people not jump ship because of the unknown. And yea, having to wait till the MMC is dumb.
Old 05-09-2014 | 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Its hard to tell for sure....It's almost as if Acura is moving toward the former Lexus and Lexus moving toward the former Acura
Its like the rolls have reversed.
Old 05-09-2014 | 09:51 AM
Racer

You know, on paper, the TLX seems to have lots to offer....Its like that great gift that comes wrapped in the ugliest paper.
It seems you wanted to say the reverse -- a shitty gift wrapped in fancy paper.

I wouldn't mind receiving what you had mentioned, "Its like that great gift that comes wrapped in the ugliest paper".

Last edited by internalaudit; 05-09-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2014 | 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Hummm....Not sure I got it wrong...I guess what I was trying to say is the content of the car looks decent (engine, SH-AWD, fuel efficiency, better material, quieter, blah blah) but wrapped around an oh-hum sheet metal and ugliest wheel ever created by men!

I shouldn't have tried to be too fancy with my analogy *lol*
Old 05-09-2014 | 01:24 PM

I see this too. Lexus has the new IS and GS that are sportier than its prior models and have gotten good reviews. Lexus is also coming out with a new coupe M3 or M5 fighter (RFC?). And their upcoming smaller SUV has a turbo 4 along with promised sporty driving dynamics.

Meanwhile, the RDX is mommy-fied (nothing wrong I suppose, as sales are at record levels), the RLX is not inspiring, the ILX is IMHO an underpowered POS, and the TLX... well, so far it's all up for debate but so far I'm not liking what I see.
Old 05-09-2014 | 02:38 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

I passed by my local dealership to pick up some DW-1 for a tranny fluid change this weekend. I run into a sales guy I have known for a while and he was telling me that more TSX owners are inquiring about the TLX than TL owners. Apparently he has 14 on his list waiting for the TLX and they are all TSX owners. Interestingly enough, I am the only one who was interested to test drive the TLX once they get a few at the dealership. The rest, as he was telling me, they aren't even interested in test driving it. They just want to get it off the dealership lot and drive home ! Into some extend this may just be sales-talk, but the fact that more TSX owners are interested speaks volumes about how the demographics of the upcoming TLX are shaping up.
HeartTLs (05-12-2014)
Old 05-09-2014 | 03:11 PM
King of NYC

Thank you. This is what I've been saying forever although obviously everyone doesn't agree with me.

You guys might like that guy, I dunno, it just annoys me when they speak in that corporate-code and restricted tone like politicians. Happy to trumpet out scripted BS but walking on eggshells regarding any detail of substance. Nevermind, just my own pet peeve, I'm just making associations I guess with my day-job, lol.

But from what I gather the picture is slowly getting clearer. What he said about the SH-AWD NOT being a Type-S replacement was possibly the best thing he could have said in that whole video. So it's obvious what's going to happen here: The 4cyl version is meant to fill the gap that the TSX left behind. To bridge between the ILX and TLX. We all know that. The 6cyl version will be their volume car and fill in that TL void. Yes, bet yourself that it will be soft and VERY much the competitor to the ES350. I am telling you that it's obvious that car was their benchmark. The TL SH-AWD will basically be a mini-RLX. They are not afraid to lean on that luxury side with this car. A sporty Type-S type variant was of secondary priority it will come later. I am actually more sure now than ever it WILL be a possibility now, you can bet it's already on their drawing board. It will fit in nicely as a third flavor and this time around it will probably be a much bigger contrast than the 3GTL Type-S or the 4GTL 6-speed was from base.

So they are asking a lot out of this platform. It will have 3 lines. I think that is Acura's strategy to finally have at least one sedan in the lineup to hit the targets. I think it's pretty smart because it will carry the other lines and will easily outsell them combined. Honestly TL sales was the only way they RL survived this long. Otherwise it would have gotten axed the same way Infiniti axed the Q45. But they keep the RLX more for the reason to have a flagship (rather than aiming for volume). Look how empty the Infiniti line looks now. And look how much more serious people take Hyundai now, even if nobody buys the Equus. At least it shows what the company CAN do.

Why the wait for a Type-S? These 2 trims are the priority because they will have higher sales targets. A Type-S will appeal to less people who don't mind paying more. (That basically means AZine people, lol.) It's more of an emotional buy. They know people like that CAN wait because it builds suspense even if they grumble about it. Volume buyers can't wait. They have no loyalty. They WILL buy a competitor's car on the turn of a heel if they are made to wait. Right now there is a buzz about the new TLX. There will be an initial wave of early adopters that typically run out to get the latest and the greatest. By year 3 predictably there will be a lull and they will inject excitement back into the line with a Type-S or equivalent. So why aren't they just coming out and saying that? You know why. They want plenty of us to go for a SH-AWD and say in 2017 "WHAAT A Type-S is coming out??" And a good portion of those people will trade in again anyways, lol.

Come on guys, no mystery here. Honda and many other companies have been doing this cycles like this for a long time. It's like waiting for a iPhone 6 in 2013 when you KNOW it was going to be a iPhone 5S. Why expect something different? We have seen how they do it.

So the question is who here wants to wait it out? I know I can't. But Acura doesn't care, there will always be customers. And they are gonna to come around to appeal to each group of buyers separately when the time is right for them, not for us.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 05-09-2014 at 03:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rockyfeller:
fsttyms1 (05-10-2014), Gen4MDX (05-09-2014), weather (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014 | 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I agree....I am pretty sure that the TLX will have a Type-S but the big question is what engine will it have. My gut feeling tells me that it will the Turbo 4 and why its being delayed a little. I could be wrong but that is what I am predicting...the 4 turbo with the 8 speed dual clutch tranny and MAYBE a manual variant.

What do I do in the meantime?
Old 05-09-2014 | 03:29 PM
King of NYC

I think it will be an uprated 3.5L 6cyl just as they always done. Putting out in the 320-330hp region. You know they can easily get more out of that engine if they wanted to. Ordinarily the Type-S has been a ~30hp bump but I can see them pushing it a bit higher because the competitors are up there.

Good question about meantime.......I really feel that the Europeans are the only ones really doing sport sedans nowadays. (Besides Cadillac.) I don't want a Maxima, Subaru, or Lexus. The snob in me doesn't want to downgrade to a Optima, GTI or Accord Coupe manual, even though those are good cars. I want a manual. That leaves the Germans. I said it before, but I really am serious about a 2011 M3, haha can't get it out of my head. The last V8 M car. Just the questionable reliability of BMW is keeping me from it but from what I hear these cars are pretty solid unlike the 335i and it's turbo issues. Or another possibility is a M235i...hmm.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 05-09-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2014 | 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I test drove the M235i and OMG, that was a FUN car!! I just find it hard to justify 300-400 more a month on lease payment to get a BMW or Audi.

I can't stand Mercedes.....
Old 05-09-2014 | 03:54 PM
King of NYC

I LOVE MB as a company. I think they make some of the best cars historically, just well engineered. Lately their styling has been a bit questionable though, I don't understand where they are going with that. But the previous 5yrs were pretty on point. If only they could bring manuals back. But they never will.

I drove a lot of different cars over the last year. Just haven't gotten my hands on a M235i yet. I'll be going for an event at BMW in a couple wks and will get my chance. I have a great feeling is that I will love driving it, I've heard nothing but great things.

Only problem is that when I compare it to the M3, it just seems MUCH more like a premium and serious product. A REAL M car. While still being polished with a premium feel inside. Well, no rocket science, the price on them is outrageous, I know. Plus I think it looks better, particularly from the rear than the M235i.

I have driven older M3s but not an E92. I know it's worlds different with a V8 and I am a V8 kind of guy. A like a machine with more balls than you could ever need, lol. Only problem is finding one wasn't driven by a douchbag that drove it like a donkey.

I have a sneaking suspicion that an M2 will be released in a couple yrs. I mean why not, this company has been going absolute BEzERK overboard in making all kinds of unnecessary separate trims and lines over the last year, they might as well do an M2.

Just put up today

OK that is far enough OT before I get screamed at.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 05-09-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2014 | 07:03 PM

I don't know, after viewing the video I don't get a sense that the Type S variant will come. At what segment of the video did you guys feel that a future Type S model is in the works?

My suspicions are that there will be no Type S for the TLX. Matt H. seems more excited with interior quietness than with performance.
Old 05-09-2014 | 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

There seems to be a lot of hoping about a TLX S Type. I have a different take on the S type going by the last version. Seems to me it was more a cosmetic exercise than a true performance model.

At the end of the day IIRC the S AT was a bit slower than the TL 6MT & the S 6MT a little quicker than the TL 6MT. With the TLX V6 already pushing the base RLX power numbers there does not seem to be much room for growth. If they are not going to add 25/30 horsepower at the minimum whats the point of an S Type?
Old 05-09-2014 | 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

docboy...I agree that Matt seems to be quite excited by the quietness of the TLX and the refinement they brought to the model. I think for me, the part that makes me feel a Type-S (or A-Spec) will be coming is the video with the designer of the TLX. When interviewed, he had mentioned that not all version of teh TLX would have the hidden dual exhausts which makes me think that one version will have these pipes sticking out...and what better model than the Type-S?!
Old 05-09-2014 | 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by docboy
I don't know, after viewing the video I don't get a sense that the Type S variant will come. At what segment of the video did you guys feel that a future Type S model is in the works?

My suspicions are that there will be no Type S for the TLX. Matt H. seems more excited with interior quietness than with performance.
He makes a comment that the SH-AWD in the TLX suspension was not meant to be a Type-S replacement eluding that the 4G AWD was and that the AWD TLX suspension is about the same as the FWD suspension. I think many of us take that to mean they understand the market for a sporty Type-S variant. They should learn from Lexus, when Lexus did the GS F-Sport and IS F-Sport I thought I read that Lexus under estimated the demad for those models and had to ramp up the percentage of those made. I know when I shopped GS last year it was impossible to find the F-Sport which pushed me away.
Old 05-09-2014 | 09:19 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
At the end of the day IIRC the S AT was a bit slower than the TL 6MT & the S 6MT a little quicker than the TL 6MT. With the TLX V6 already pushing the base RLX power numbers there does not seem to be much room for growth. If they are not going to add 25/30 horsepower at the minimum whats the point of an S Type?
Really? I mean I'm not challenging your statement because I really don't know what the numbers are for a fact but if that's true that's pretty crazy.

I have a 5AT and I drive my buddy's Type-S 6MT every once in awhile. My car has a few mods that make it feel fast off the line but his car his car is obviously definitely faster. I always wondered how it would be in the reverse situation. 6MT base vs Type-S automatic, but I always assumed the Type-S would still pull and be faster just because of those horses. I know many people think of the Type-S package as cosmetic. IMO the car really feels pretty different, almost like a different car altogether. The cosmetic package is the A-Spec, nobody is arguing there, ahem .

It's my feeling if they try it again it will be a more serious package, and as a matter of fact a S-line or something like that because that is what all the other competitors are doing. I know Acura has a practice of crossing the RL's "hp limit with lesser models. But doing something similar to as S-line there will raise the limit. Again, I'm not holding my breath, but we all know this is all totally within their potential and know how. Predictably they will get feedback from customers on the 2015 line to cut out the mushiness and get sporty. This is what Lexus did. There is a market for it and there is nothing to stop them. It's a no-brainer. They've tried many things, I'm sure there are voices in the company pushing for it, just a matter of time.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 05-09-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2014 | 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't really know how good the magazine numbers were in comparison but in real life back in the day my TL 6MT never lost to a Type S AT. Only ran one Type S 6MT, they were pretty rare, but it was definitely the quicker car. I would expect it to win 8 out of 10 pure stock.

IIRC the Type S engine was only increased by about 18 cubic inches. My lawn tractor has 20 cubic inches. Think a 1/2 liter jump from 3.2 to 3.7 would have been more meaningful both image & power wise with a 300+ BHP engine..

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-09-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2014 | 01:53 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Initial thoughts on the video are that it sounds like suspension tuning on the V6 and I4 models may actually be somewhat different, with the I4 looking to offer a more sporty feel while the V6 offers a more premium ride. And judging from the way he indicates that the V6 SH-AWD model is no longer intended to be a Type-S replacement, there is a greater likelihood of a future full-on sporty model to come. Also, it appears that auto start/stop is only a feature on the SH-AWD model because the V6 FWD car they were sitting in did not have the button to disable the feature.

As far as the interior goes, I can attest to the fact that the interior feels quite nice, but without a test drive, it is hard to say just how effective the sound abatement measures really are. That said, the TSX is decidedly louder than many of the competitors I have driven of late so hopefully this means that the TLX will be at least on par with others in the class.
After listening and seeing these videos I see more and more to like about the car. I really want to test them out for myself.

It sounds like they have sealed the doors with this spray in foam and other plugs. I wonder how that works with keeping water from getting in the doors and getting it out when it does get in. I'm sure they have thought about that but all doors get water in them. I recently had some paint-less dent removal done on my wife's car. It was amazing. The guy told me that BMW was actually putting access holes in their doors for PDR. This spray in foam my be a problem for PDR.

^^ Hummm....Not sure I got it wrong...I guess what I was trying to say is the content of the car looks decent (engine, SH-AWD, fuel efficiency, better material, quieter, blah blah) but wrapped around an oh-hum sheet metal and ugliest wheel ever created by men! I shouldn't have tried to be too fancy with my analogy *lol*
To be fair this car is not ugly. Sure it may not be exactly identical to the prototype but a minor change to the car hardly moves the car from 'wow' to 'ugly.' In fact the TLX from the front looks mostly similar to the 4G TL, which I'm sure you don't think is 'ugly.' Yes that base wheel is pretty bad and I agree it even ugly, but the V6 wheels look good to me. There are ugly cars out there, but the TLX is not one of them. I really think we need to see this car in the flesh to really know what it looks like.

Well who could blame them if this was their goal? Lexus is the #1 Japanese luxury brand by far. Their formula works better than Acura's, so why would Acura not try to learn from them?

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I passed by my local dealership to pick up some DW-1 for a tranny fluid change this weekend. I run into a sales guy I have known for a while and he was telling me that more TSX owners are inquiring about the TLX than TL owners. Apparently he has 14 on his list waiting for the TLX and they are all TSX owners. Interestingly enough, I am the only one who was interested to test drive the TLX once they get a few at the dealership. The rest, as he was telling me, they aren't even interested in test driving it. They just want to get it off the dealership lot and drive home ! Into some extend this may just be sales-talk, but the fact that more TSX owners are interested speaks volumes about how the demographics of the upcoming TLX are shaping up.
I think for TSX owners the TLX is clearly a step up. For TL owners it will be a harder sell. There is really not much benefit to upgrading until their car has run its course. For me the TLX is a clear upgrade. I'm not going to buy it sight unseen though, I really want/need to drive it.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 05-10-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2014 | 01:02 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Well who could blame them if this was their goal? Lexus is the #1 Japanese luxury brand by far. Their formula works better than Acura's, so why would Acura not try to learn from them?
Well read his comment carefully. The problem is not that they are copying Lexus of 2014, today and where it's going. They are copying the "safe" non-daring Lexus backwards from where they came from. That was a nice 90s strategy yes. It's a new era, new tastes and there are new options out there. How come Acura doesn't have an F Sport line if they really want to copy Lexus? I'm not saying they need to be making BMW M5s/E63s here. They just need to inject a little bit of spunk. This is the same company of NSX, S2000s, CRX, Civic Si, A-Spec and Type-S yes?

I'm glad Acura has galvanized their position as the "tech forward" brand, it's obvious that most of their engineering goes toward that goal. It's been their identity ever since the 3GTL and the 2nd Gen RL. Lexus took up the "quiet, quality" label all those previous years. But why take up a narrow view? Lexus realized a company doesn't have to take up a particular mantle, but be different cars to different people. This is the secret to their success and gets all those sales numbers.

Many other car companies use a logic to place models lines that go up proportionately in price, size and levels of luxury. Like MB/BMW/Audi. Lexus followed a slightly different path of logic that is more aligned to demographics that a few other brands also use. It has to do with who is buying the car at what type of budget and what their needs are. From that they determine their tastes in general. Don't kill me for these generalizations but this is the general thought process....For example:

• IS = entry luxury, usually someone under 40 or unmarried buys these cars. Don't care about space but don't paying a bit of a premium for a chic car. So this car will be sporty. F-Sport for those that want more.
  • ES = still entry lux but usually someone over 40 who is married. They want more space, more comfort, want the Lexus symbol but also a value, not too concerned about performance. So this car will be less sport more luxury and mushy. No F-Sport necessary.
  • GS = someone who is better heeled, usually above 40, doesn't mind spending a bit extra for something more rare and different, wants the performance and driver's car. Cross shops with the 5 series. F-Sport for those who want more.
  • LS = the executive car. Usually an empty-nester who has plenty in the bank. Full on no compromise luxury with all the bells and whistles, quietness. They want power to stroke their egos and don't care as much about handling because it's not about a driver's car. So it is soft and mushy. They did an F-Sport even though it wasn't necessary, nothing more than an A-Spec kit haha. Just wanted to compete with S63/S8 (even though that is pretty much a joke, lol.)

So you can see how the strategy is staggered. How come Acura is not copying this model? If they are smart they can utilize this logic and split the TLX into 3 lines like I mentioned into a similar mini-pyramid and appeal to buyers at each budget bracket and demographic. If they were even SMARTER they would restructure their ENTIRE sedan line into a more interesting mix like Lexus did. Sure the ILX was never gonna compete with a 3 series. OK, then really go after the IS350 then. The RLX was never going to compete with an S-class, we know that. OK, then REALLY try to go after the LS460, then. Q45 is out of the picture and they can have that slice too. Instead Lexus is eating everyone's lunch.

Maybe they don't want to be a "me too" brand, good. Then be different enough to have an identity and a soul. Let the car have charm. That is a big part of making it fun to drive and have brand loyalty. They used to be good at this. Jaguar also got that same wake up call. Look at that F-type! Once and for all, stop being confused. Go and get it.

It's like a kid who sits on the bench wondering what they're doing wrong and sadly has the potential to not be in that position. Sure, I empathize when it's really not that person's fault and something has happened out of their control. But you can't feel sorry for a person that does it to themselves. They can go on putting shield grilles on everything. Or they can wake up and use the potential to do better.

I wish I could go and be a motivational speaker for this company's so called "restructured management" team. lol.

Quick Reply: Matt Hargett discusses the 3.5L V6 and Interior with Jeff Palmer at TOV