Low fuel indicator = vehicle performance changes ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Low fuel indicator = vehicle performance changes ?

I have noticed that as soon as the orange low fuel indicator light turns on, the acceleration significantly dies. As if the system forces ECON mode or even something more sluggish than driving on ECON mode.
As soon as I refuel, the devil in my TLX comes back..... Has anyone else noticed this ?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by mani
I have noticed that as soon as the orange low fuel indicator light turns on, the acceleration significantly dies. As if the system forces ECON mode or even something more sluggish than driving on ECON mode.
As soon as I refuel, the devil in my TLX comes back..... Has anyone else noticed this ?
Wow! No I have not. I always leave IDS in Sport mode since learning I can get 38 MPG in Sport and 38.2 MPG in Econo.

I rarely let the tank light come on, but I have for a couple of times and I did not notice this feature.

Interesting to hear more findings on this.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i feel that on all the cars. Whenever the fuel is near the bottom, the gas pedal feels spongy.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
No.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
I notice that in my other cars too. I think it's because whenthe light is on, my right foot automatically turns into econ mode....haha!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Ero
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The one I test-drove the other day had the gas gauge on E completely and the performance felt awesome in Sport/+ mode. I don't have a baseline to compare it to, but it certainly didn't feel like a car that had de-tuned itself.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Wow! No I have not. I always leave IDS in Sport mode since learning I can get 38 MPG in Sport and 38.2 MPG in Econo.

I rarely let the tank light come on, but I have for a couple of times and I did not notice this feature.

Interesting to hear more findings on this.
I have always driven on normal mode but did try Econ once. You sure the differnece is only 0.2mpg between eco and sport ??? If thats the case, im going to change the default to Sport tonight !

In regards, to the topic, the only reason I was able to test is because my commuted is like 6 miles one way and I hate stopping at gas stations during rush hour. I enjoy trips to the gas station on weekends. But I never noticed it on my Accord, Type S or any of the other cars. And I did notice this on 3 seperate occasions.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,413 Posts
Fuel pump is usually cooled by the fuel surrounding it so running the tank to near empty/reserve light isn't the best for your new TLX.

As far as the car feeling sluggish, I believe it should be the opposite since there is less weight in the car! Have you put the IDS in another mode to see how the car reacts?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! No I have not. I always leave IDS in Sport mode since learning I can get 38 MPG in Sport and 38.2 MPG in Econo....
I must be driving idiotically. I can't get these great MPG's that I see everyone posting. Time to hyper-mile the TLX this week....
Old 03-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Gonna have to add a no also. I've run mine to about 40 miles of range in Sport+. No change in the car.

Originally Posted by HattoriHonda
I must be driving idiotically. I can't get these great MPG's that I see everyone posting. Time to hyper-mile the TLX this week....
Not necessary! Whats your current average?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:44 PM
a77
Racer

Unless you are a very inefficient driver I dont think any of the modes apart from sport + will make any difference. I am getting over 500 miles on each tank in sport all the time. In all Honda cars I find eco modes to feel intolerable. Like having a parachute opening behind the car. There's no magic here - differences are going to be tiny. I confess I do use the paddles quite a lot to"correct" what I think is the wrong gear choice - no different from any other auto. a lifetime of driving manuals.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
Unless you are a very inefficient driver I dont think any of the modes apart from sport + will make any difference. I am getting over 500 miles on each tank in sport all the time. In all Honda cars I find eco modes to feel intolerable. Like having a parachute opening behind the car. There's no magic here - differences are going to be tiny. I confess I do use the paddles quite a lot to"correct" what I think is the wrong gear choice - no different from any other auto. a lifetime of driving manuals.

You have to mean over 500 KM not miles. I get around 500-550 KM around town. With a moderate to heavy foot. In Sport mode all the time.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I have always driven on normal mode but did try Econ once. You sure the differnece is only 0.2mpg between eco and sport ??? If thats the case, im going to change the default to Sport tonight !
In regards, to the topic, the only reason I was able to test is because my commuted is like 6 miles one way and I hate stopping at gas stations during rush hour. I enjoy trips to the gas station on weekends. But I never noticed it on my Accord, Type S or any of the other cars. And I did notice this on 3 seperate occasions.
38.0 was the best I could get at a constant 75 MPH over 200+ miles driving North in Sport mode over flat roads. Driving South in Econo mode at a constant 75 MPH for 200+ miles only resulted in 38.2 MPG over the same roads. Understandably, this was my unscientific test. I just wonder if it would improve if I dropped to 70 MPH. Would I see an improvement?

Originally Posted by HattoriHonda
The first time I drove this route, I was driving like a race car driver and mileage was not nearly as good. This time I ran the car at a constant 75 MPH over 200 miles of pure turnpike flat roads in South to Central Florida. I also used LKAS to keep the car straight. Any stopping will skew results.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by a77
Originally Posted by Dutchy
You have to mean over 500 KM not miles. I get around 500-550 KM around town. With a moderate to heavy foot. In Sport mode all the time.
I believe @a77 meant 500 miles. I could see that after my weekend of driving to visit my folks in Central Florida. I drove over 234 miles each way at a constant 75 MPH over flat turnpike roads with one stop in between to a rest stop. The last drive was back to my home, I had 3/5 of a tank left after filling up in Central Florida (Gas is so cheap there). On this way back I got 38.2 MPG. I wonder if I drove 70 MPH if I would make any gains.

Maybe on my next trip I will try to make the trip on one tank and still make the 34 mile trip to work the next day?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Racer

I believe @a77 meant 500 miles. I could see that after my weekend of driving to visit my folks in Central Florida. I drove over 234 miles each way at a constant 75 MPH over flat turnpike roads with one stop in between to a rest stop. The last drive was back to my home, I had 3/5 of a tank left after filling up in Central Florida (Gas is so cheap there). On this way back I got 38.2 MPG. I wonder if I drove 70 MPH if I would make any gains.

Maybe on my next trip I will try to make the trip on one tank and still make the 34 mile trip to work the next day?
That is true... I also have family in orlando and I drive 232 miles one way taking 95 and then US-192 as its the same miles and almost same time without the $16 in tolls. After topping off at HWD, i had a little above half tank left once at my destination. I was curious to try getting back on the same tank which I know I could have easily done, but those cheaper gas prices changed my mind !
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
Fuel pump is usually cooled by the fuel surrounding it so running the tank to near empty/reserve light isn't the best for your new TLX.

You have a little above 4 gallons of fuel once the reserve light comes on and the mtd will show about 50 mile range... (depends on driving conditions as well) I usually refill once it shows 20 miles left again only cause I hate stopping at gas stations....

As far as the car feeling sluggish, I believe it should be the opposite since there is less weight in the car! Have you put the IDS in another mode to see how the car reacts?
I actually just tested it again yesterday, this time had IDS set on sport mode since last fill up.... Yes, the same exact sluggish mode.... Don't get me wrong, but I think that if this is a hidden feature, I like it !
Old 03-28-2015, 02:10 PM
a77
Racer

I meant 500 miles. This is mostly suburban driving. Averaging 7.6 litres per 100/kms right now. Pure highway ought to be better but havent yet done a tankful out of town. My record in tsx was 1206 kms - I guess 750 miles at usually 10 kmh over speed limit. Had a bigger tank.