Lawsuit filed against Honda/Acura

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I highly doubt there is anything mechanically flawed with the ZF, What most likely is the issue is nothing more than programming. ZF doesnt send the trans out with programming. That is up to the manufacturer using it, to tailor it the way they want, for the vehicle and type of driving expected for the vehicle. Maybe it will require a different type of fluid along with programming to get it to operate in the way that the majority of drivers will accept????
It indeed is programming. Alex On Cars has described the same odd sensations when he tried the Jeep Cherokee is (Pre) Production form. The gears involving the dog clutches will be noticeably different to the ones using regular clutches. Since ZF didn't use synchros due to size restraints, it's all digital. I guess it's going to get some really fine tuning to make things feel like a typical automatic in all situations.

Personally, i feel even if they somehow perfect this, it's still going to act like the "hybrid clutch" system that it is. Kind of have to adjust to it or move on.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I highly doubt there is anything mechanically flawed with the ZF, What most likely is the issue is nothing more than programming. ZF doesnt send the trans out with programming(that i know of). That is up to the manufacturer using it, to tailor it the way they want, for the vehicle and type of driving expected for the vehicle. Maybe it will require a different type of fluid along with programming to get it to operate in the way that the majority of drivers will accept????
Originally Posted by Jerzyboi
It indeed is programming. Alex On Cars has described the same odd sensations when he tried the Jeep Cherokee is (Pre) Production form. The gears involving the dog clutches will be noticeably different to the ones using regular clutches. Since ZF didn't use synchros due to size restraints, it's all digital. I guess it's going to get some really fine tuning to make things feel like a typical automatic in all situations.

Personally, i feel even if they somehow perfect this, it's still going to act like the "hybrid clutch" system that it is. Kind of have to adjust to it or move on.
I tend to agree... no matter the programming, this transmission has dog clutches. They may be able to tweak the engagement of those clutches through software, but they can not change the fact that they don't mechanically sync and the engagement will always have some sort of 'binary' engaged/not engaged action.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
if there was a motor in there to send torque during the the times the dog clutches engaged/disengaged it might just be as novel as the tq converter/dct combo. Could they "Replicate" the torque that goes through the clutch packs when they engage/disengage? It sounds feasible but at what cost is the real question.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a related but different concern after this lawsuit. Just google TLX transmission problems and tons of negative information and complaints will come up. How would this affect the resale/trade-in value of our TLXs? I think Honda/Acura should somehow compensate all TLX owners for loss of resale value. It seems that the lawsuit will only exacerbate this problem for all TLX owners. But by no means I blame the lawsuit. It will only make more drivers aware of the problem and make Honda/Acura more accountable.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyw
I have a related but different concern after this lawsuit. Just google TLX transmission problems and tons of negative information and complaints will come up. How would this affect the resale/trade-in value of our TLXs? I think Honda/Acura should somehow compensate all TLX owners for loss of resale value. It seems that the lawsuit will only exacerbate this problem for all TLX owners. But by no means I blame the lawsuit. It will only make more drivers aware of the problem and make Honda/Acura more accountable.
I have similar concerns. When it does come time to sell mine, I dot want a stigma associated with it.

I guess I'm a little confused as to what this lawsuit is looking to accomplish ? Are they just trying to force Acura to step up and address the problem, or are they seeking monetary reimbursements/compensation?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Reading all these issues even with the latest TLX is such a shame.. I've had many Hondas and Acuras- mainly early 90s models. They were all made with such quality control that seems a bit lost now in certain areas. Yeah these newer models are much more advanced..maybe too much so. No wonder when I hop in one of my old legends I always smile
The following users liked this post:
weather (03-23-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
Reading all these issues even with the latest TLX is such a shame.. I've had many Hondas and Acuras- mainly early 90s models. They were all made with such quality control that seems a bit lost now in certain areas. Yeah these newer models are much more advanced..maybe too much so. No wonder when I hop in one of my old legends I always smile
You have more than one Legend? *bows*
Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by crownr0yal
You have more than one Legend? *bows*
Up until about a month ago, I had 3. I just recently sold my 94 Pearl white auto coupe with 63k mikes after owning it 8 years. I still have my black one in my signature- a 95 6MT coupe with 40k miles as well as a 94 GS 6MT sedan with 97k miles. Back then they were ahead of their time as I suppose some of these new gadgets in the TLX are now. But it seems they really took the time back then to over engineer everything.

Last edited by MarcDavidoff; 03-24-2015 at 07:30 PM.