Front Sensor Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015 | 04:23 PM
Passer of Gas

Front Sensor Camera

Has anyone been able to hack the front sensor camera to record the images say to use as a dashcam?
I'd like to get a dash cam but they all seem so intrusive. I'd like to find something that's clean and looks as stock is possible. They all seem to need a power cord that runs up the dash.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-10-2015 | 04:45 AM
Senior Moderator

mount it above the rear view mirror, run the power wire along the top of the headliner, down the pillar trim (remove the pillar trim and place wire behind the airbag, not in front!) You can run it down past the dash right into the fuse-box. You can use an add-a-fuse and hook it up to power that is on when the car is running.
Old 07-10-2015 | 10:08 AM
Passer of Gas

Originally Posted by csmeance
mount it above the rear view mirror.
That would be impossible as there are those black dots in that area of the windshield. It would have to be below the mirror and that's not acceptable.
Old 07-10-2015 | 11:32 AM
Racer

Hacking into the camera would probably be more trouble than it's worth. I have a front/rear dashcam that I've yet to install and I was too trying to determine how best to mount it. Another member just posted a DIY of a dashcam install and it looks pretty good. I'll try to attach the link to that topic here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...nstall-933192/
Old 07-10-2015 | 11:56 AM
Passer of Gas

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
Hacking into the camera would probably be more trouble than it's worth. I have a front/rear dashcam that I've yet to install and I was too trying to determine how best to mount it. Another member just posted a DIY of a dashcam install and it looks pretty good. I'll try to attach the link to that topic here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...nstall-933192/
That is by far the best compromise I've seen yet.

It just seems like such a waste though. There is a camera already looking forward, we have a rearview camera for backing up, and there's a hard drive in the entertainment system. It seems as though it would just be a given that they would be able to have some kind of option for a clean factory dash cam in the TLX.
Old 07-10-2015 | 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fndlair
It just seems like such a waste though. There is a camera already looking forward, we have a rearview camera for backing up, and there's a hard drive in the entertainment system. It seems as though it would just be a given that they would be able to have some kind of option for a clean factory dash cam in the TLX.
I agree. It will probably soon be an option since the components are present and it would allow for a clean, unobtrusive install.

The problem with the current model TLX is that without knowing the specs, the front facing camera could be a crude B/W or very low def camera and don't get the owners started on the quality of the back up camera

I know that Acura and car manufacturers in general are going away from a lot of options, but it would be awesome if we could choose options like dashcams, HUD, radar detectors and other similar electronic options.