Former 4G owners to TLX comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
..yes and if you especially get the 4 banger it will be a heck of an upgrade, a truly sublime sport sedan....

(Your sarcasm is noted) V6 Advance. Upgrade.

Last edited by a35tl; 09-12-2014 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
This is what it takes to justify your purchase? Now that is very cool. I am very impressed! I have driven the Q50S several times. My GF was interested in one and we went back a few times. She bought an IS350 instead. In the end, the Q50 just didn't impress like you say.

My feelings aren't hurt, just calling you out on your BS statements.

The Eau Rouge, a $100K+ car is your gauge? Ok dude.
I'm not debating if the Q50 did impress you....as a matter of fact I did not even talk about the Q50 you did bring it up...what is a fact is that the Q50 and also the IS350 are a class above the TLX...again, a fact like it or not.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
I'm not debating if the Q50 did impress you....as a matter of fact I did not even talk about the Q50 you did bring it up...what is a fact is that the Q50 and also the IS350 are a class above the TLX...again, a fact like it or not.
Ummmm....who told you that? I've test driven all of them. I do like the IS350. But, not to the tune of $50K loaded up the way the TLX Advance is.

Q50? My test drive, the steering was so.....uhhh....unnerving (as in constant need of constant corrections with little to no feedback) and the electronics so pokey slow, and glitchy I crossed it off my list immediately, regardless of pricing.

So, I s'pose it depends on who you're asking about the TLX, the IS, or the Q.

Last edited by graphicguy; 09-12-2014 at 02:07 PM.
a35tl (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
When did opinion ever become fact? Amazing It's a fact only to you. Carry on soldier
Old 09-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I will take the open minded approach and ask what about the Q50 makes it a class above. I've tried to think it through and I come up with pluses and minuses on both cars. Serious question, what is your reason for feeling that way. If it's just price I don't agree because that is a feature, not a benefit.
Stew4HD (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I will take the open minded approach and ask what about the Q50 makes it a class above. I've tried to think it through and I come up with pluses and minuses on both cars. Serious question, what is your reason for feeling that way. If it's just price I don't agree because that is a feature, not a benefit.
Thanks for asking the question(s) the way I should have
jjsC5 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Sorry for chiming in on this topic as well.

I did drop my TL at the dealer yesterday and test drove the TLX and also stopped by to look at the Infiniti Q50. I am FAR from being an expert on car and my opinion is only that.

As jjsC5 has stated, in my opinion, both vehicles offer positives and negatives. There is no doubt that there is the perception that Infiniti is a more upscale division because of the rear wheel drive plateform versus the FWD of Acura. So right off the bat, Acura has an uphill battle to climb.

I have sat in both vehicle and to an extent, I will say that there are some aspect of the Infiniti interior that I like better than that of the TLX. The seats in the TLX aren't as nice as those in the Q50 in my opinion but if they'd kept the exact same seats at the TL, then I'd have a different story. I like the instrument cluster of the TLX better while to an extent, the centre stack of the Q50 was nice.

I would not say that the interior of the TLX feels cheap....I liked the openess of the TLX better than that of the Q50 but I concede here that if I had to rate both interiors, I would give a small nudge to the Q50.

As far as the exterior....in my opinion, this is where I lean quite quite heavily toward the TLX. Will the exterior of the car give more of an upscale image, no, usually its the features and materials that sort makes a car a luxury/non luxury status....at least it did.

Infiniti has struggled with the steer by wire system and has created a bad image for the brand, so much so that its kept me away. I like the Q50's profile and front look but I cannot stand that rear....despite the dual exhaust.

So lets all agree that the TLX and the Q50 are competing in the same segment (except if you consider the I4) so its down to a matter of preference....pick what is better and more important for you, enjoy and lets return to more respectful conversations.

Thanks....
The following 4 users liked this post by weather:
a35tl (09-12-2014), mr2core (09-13-2014), ostrich (09-12-2014), Stew4HD (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's be more respectful and send PM's to each other like this one I got!

AcuraZine.com Forums

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear W.B.MASON,

You have received a new private message at AcuraZine Community from Stew4HD, entitled "Cry cry cry".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
Sign In - AcuraZine Community

This is the message that was sent:
poor baby

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:

All the best,
AcuraZine Community
Old 09-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
...and for the record, there is no doubt that next spring, my car will be:

V6 TLX SH-AWD TECH White with body kit and no accessory wheel!

The countdown has begun (and the bank account will continue to grow until then...)
mr2core (09-13-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by W.B.MASON
Let's be more respectful and send PM's to each other like this one I got!

AcuraZine.com Forums

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear W.B.MASON,

You have received a new private message at AcuraZine Community from Stew4HD, entitled "Cry cry cry".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:

This is the message that was sent:
poor baby

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:

All the best,
AcuraZine Community
Poor baby, are you going to post my new PM to you here as well?

Last edited by Stew4HD; 09-12-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather

I did drop my TL at the dealer yesterday and test drove the TLX and also stopped by to look at the Infiniti Q50. I am FAR from being an expert on car and my opinion is only that.

As jjsC5 has stated, in my opinion, both vehicles offer positives and negatives. There is no doubt that there is the perception that Infiniti is a more upscale division because of the rear wheel drive plateform versus the FWD of Acura. So right off the bat, Acura has an uphill battle to climb.

I have sat in both vehicle and to an extent, I will say that there are some aspect of the Infiniti interior that I like better than that of the TLX. The seats in the TLX aren't as nice as those in the Q50 in my opinion but if they'd kept the exact same seats at the TL, then I'd have a different story. I like the instrument cluster of the TLX better while to an extent, the centre stack of the Q50 was nice.

I would not say that the interior of the TLX feels cheap....I liked the openess of the TLX better than that of the Q50 but I concede here that if I had to rate both interiors, I would give a small nudge to the Q50.

As far as the exterior....in my opinion, this is where I lean quite quite heavily toward the TLX. Will the exterior of the car give more of an upscale image, no, usually its the features and materials that sort makes a car a luxury/non luxury status....at least it did.

Infiniti has struggled with the steer by wire system and has created a bad image for the brand, so much so that its kept me away. I like the Q50's profile and front look but I cannot stand that rear....despite the dual exhaust.

So lets all agree that the TLX and the Q50 are competing in the same segment (except if you consider the I4) so its down to a matter of preference....pick what is better and more important for you, enjoy and lets return to more respectful conversations.

Thanks....
Thank you, my friend. I got a little worked up because of the use of the word "fact" being tossed around when I know that it was not a fact.

I am over it now
Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Sub'd.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Banned

Why a class above?? Engine options, fit and finish, suspension solutions, more upscale interiors (just touch the leaher on the Q50 and in the TLX and you will immediately see what I mean), pricing...and yes, price reflects contents (most of the time not always)

You can sit in the car and immediately feeling a plushier vehicle....I have no brand allegiances (I drive an Acura after all and I never had an Acura before) so I call spade a spade the way I see it...and I do not think any of the magazines consider the TLX a fully fledged Q50 (or IS or 3 Series competitor)

Go and drive a V6 TLX and immediately after drive a Q50S and everything will probably be easy to see it.

The market segmentation put the 2 cars on a different level not me....

jjsC5...it's interesting that couple of years ago you could categorically state that the 5 Series was clearly and unequivocally a superior vehicle to the TL but you seem not able to see the clear difference between the TLX and the Q50.

After all I voted with my hard earned dollars and it is my opinion..the 2 cars are on a different level (with overlapping in the middle) and the market largely agrees.

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-12-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Banned

Thank you, my friend. I got a little worked up because of the use of the word "fact" being tossed around when I know that it was not a fact.

I am over it now
You get worked up for very little my friend...I do not get upset that my car is not int he same segment as the hideous Porsche Panamera...it's life....

The Q50 (and the Lexus IS350) are positioned higher than the TLX and, again, that is a fact any way you want to slice it. The market and pricing has established that...again there is overlapping in the middle but that's it.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

You get worked up for very little my friend...I do not get upset that my car is not int he same segment as the hideous Porsche Panamera...it's life....

The Q50 (and the Lexus IS350) are positioned higher than the TLX and, again, that is a fact any way you want to slice it. The market and pricing has established that...again there is overlapping in the middle but that's it.
I am not upset.. just a tad bit passionate (a tad?) I just call out what I see as un-truths when I see them. I 100% believe you are wrong in your assertion that the TLX is not in the same class as the Q50. It seems to me you have hated the TLX since you rode in it as per your very negative review. I can't argue about your opinion of the car, at all. You saw what you saw, felt what you felt.

I have no idea how you perceive the car one way and the market sees it another way.

I guess we agree to disagree

That all said, the Q50S is a great looking car and I know you will be happy with it a long time. The red you chose is beautiful. I have seen that color up close and it jumps
Old 09-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

I guess we agree to disagree

That all said, the Q50S is a great looking car and I know you will be happy with it a long time. The red you chose is beautiful. I have seen that color up close and it jumps
Thank you, I appreciate that!
Stew4HD (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Why a class above?? Engine options, fit and finish, suspension solutions, more upscale interiors (just touch the leaher on the Q50 and in the TLX and you will immediately see what I mean), pricing...and yes, price reflects contents (most of the time not always)

You can sit in the car and immediately feeling a plushier vehicle....I have no brand allegiances (I drive an Acura after all and I never had an Acura before) so I call spade a spade the way I see it...and I do not think any of the magazines consider the TLX a fully fledged Q50 (or IS or 3 Series competitor)

Go and drive a V6 TLX and immediately after drive a Q50S and everything will probably be easy to see it.

The market segmentation put the 2 cars on a different level not me....

jjsC5...it's interesting that couple of years ago you could categorically state that the 5 Series was clearly and unequivocally a superior vehicle to the TL but you seem not able to see the clear difference between the TLX and the Q50.

After all I voted with my hard earned dollars and it is my opinion..the 2 cars are on a different level (with overlapping in the middle) and the market largely agrees.
That is a good response. The statement about me seeing the difference in the BMW as apposed to the Q50 is a bit out of context. I have not come out and said whether I think the Q50 is not a step ahead, but I admit I have probably implied it.

A couple of things I personally cannot get passed in the Q50 is that they do not offer ventilated seats, and no true DVD surround sound system. I've had a car with Bose "Cenerpoint" which I believe is the upscale Q50 system now. I admit I have not listened to the Q50 sound system, but if it's not true DVD surround sound I have a problem because I listen to them in my cars.

I have sat in a Q50 a couple of times. I think it's okay, but I'm not blown away by it. BTW, I have owned three Infinitis so I'm not biased, and I actually am waiting for the updated Q70 to hit dealers as I will consider that car.

Thanks again - I think your response was appropriate. BTW, I too think the Q50 is a damn good looking car - one of the best looking sedans of any class, and I would seriously consider one with Ventilated seats. But that is a total deal breaker for me.

Last edited by jjsC5; 09-12-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What?? No ventilated seats in the Q50?!!?!? And all this time I thought the Q50 was a notch above the TLX. Who knew?
jjsC5 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thread jacked, this is suppose to be 4G TL/TLX. There are a lot of people clicking-in to this thread who can careless about Q50! I am not saying Q50 is inferior or superior, just please keep in mind that many here ruled out the G3x/Q50 for one reason or another ;-)
BookemDanole (09-16-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather

Thanks....
Nice comparison, W!

I also wanted to add that the music system is extremely important to me. The ELS system is far superior than the Bose system in the Q50. To me, this was actually a deal breaker, let alone the steer by wire system that I really did not feel safe with during the test drive....
Old 09-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Banned

That is a good response. The statement about me seeing the difference in the BMW as apposed to the Q50 is a bit out of context. I have not come out and said whether I think the Q50 is not a step ahead, but I admit I have probably implied it.

A couple of things I personally cannot get passed in the Q50 is that they do not offer ventilated seats, and no true DVD surround sound system. I've had a car with Bose "Cenerpoint" which I believe is the upscale Q50 system now. I admit I have not listened to the Q50 sound system, but if it's not true DVD surround sound I have a problem because I listen to them in my cars.

I have sat in a Q50 a couple of times. I think it's okay, but I'm not blown away by it. BTW, I have owned three Infinitis so I'm not biased, and I actually am waiting for the updated Q70 to hit dealers as I will consider that car.

Thanks again - I think your response was appropriate. BTW, I too think the Q50 is a damn good looking car - one of the best looking sedans of any class, and I would seriously consider one with Ventilated seats. But that is a total deal breaker for me.
I agree on the ventilated seats, thankfully I live in Seattle but I understand it may be a deal breaker for you.

Another serious Q50 shortcoming is the lack of adjustable suspensions even in the Sport rim, it should be fixed in the restyling due in 2015.

In our Q50 Sport we got the premium sound system called the Bose "Studio on wheels", it is a good system, very clear but the TL ELS is clearly superior.
I heard he base stereo of the Q50 is a joke.

I absolutely love the Q70 but i was to big for my wife.
jjsC5 (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 05:16 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Im going to check out the TLX this weekend. If the interior is just like the new MDX (which I had for a weekend) I know I wont like it. I much prefer the 2G MDX interior over the 3G.
Although the 3G did drive/shift smoother.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I totally agree....it is hard to believe that some people can actually think the TLX is a step up from the TL....it isn't and it is immediately clear that it's the other way around...from the get go, you need less than a minute to immediately see that is not the case. The 4G TL has a level of "plushiness" (pass me the word) and road presence that it's simply not there with the TLX. Just look at the seats for example.

Interior space....stats may say otherwise but just sit at the back of a TLX and then on the TL and tell me which is roomier....and even in the front seats you feel some difference.

The TLX is filling both the TSX and the TL shoes so just only from a logical point of view it's obvious that the car is positioned lower. No need to take it personal, this is the way Acura has decided to slot the car in the market and it may actually increase sales.

The comparison about the amount of tech it's nonsense...it's like saying that a 10 years old 7 Series it's a step down from the TLX because it does not have all the latest electronic nannies....

I would love to see in few years some statistics about how many 4G owners actually traded their ride for the TLX....I suspect not a huge number.
You probably have a good point on where the TLX will rank between TSX and TL.

Though, I do prefer the exterior look of the TLX than the 4G TL. More modern looking.

Seat support is very good on 4G.
Again, this 3.7 engine is a jewel.
Exhaust note on 4G always make me smile, so if everyone is saying that TLX is very quite inside then .

Im still hoping that in the next couple of years there will be a TLX SPORT with a 3.7 engine
Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Build quality on the 3g tl?? Non existent...my leather have to replaced at 20k. Dash at 60k..all engines mount gone bad before 100k.blue tooth dead. Rack steering ..I can go on for hour
All windows trim popping like pop corn...he plastic on the side where the seat belt also pop
Tranny is roughh....all major items

Last edited by xedap1998; 09-15-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by xedap1998
Build quality on the 3g tl?? Non existent...my leather have to replaced at 20k. Dash at 60k..all engines mount gone bad before 100k.blue tooth dead. Rack steering ..I can go on for hour
All windows trim popping like pop corn...he plastic on the side where the seat belt also pop
My buddy had his 3G like 120K miles very few issues, very solid car.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have to defend my 3G TL.

I've had a 5AT for 10 years, 228K trouble-free miles. I've never had a single rattle. I get 31mpg on the highway. Over the years I've changed the tires, fluids, windshield wiper blades, air filters, timing belt and that's it. I have the original brakes, and everything else is original. I hope my new TLX serves me just as well!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Racer

Most of my issues are more or less nuisance rather than show stopper. The car never leave me tranded so that is why i am reconsider tlx

But the 3rd generation TL was not what I consider build quality

We have 2 -04 TL in the family and one holding up better than the other

I was so pissed at the cracked dash board around 60-70k but now that I see other car such as lexus rx and sienna also have a cracked dash it ease my piss off

My hood had to be repainted by dealer because bad oem paint that blotchy but only show up under certain lighting

I love my 3G but I certainly wouldn't say that it was well built or well engineered
Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
You have a gem them, keep it as long as possible!

Could it be that most/all of your driving is on good roads? Bad roads have the effect of jerking the car around to the point where connectors loosen, tight surfaces rub together and slacken, all resulting in squeaks and rattles. I even had to regularly lubricate the seals of my sunroof as they contact with the bodywork created a squeak that sounded like it was coming from some other location.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
you need to start maintaining your car
Old 09-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts
I had one issue in 8.5 years/91,800 miles. Needed new starter - $250. That's it. $250 in 8.5 years = rock solid.

Oh, and my tranny was still smooth as silk before my new TLX.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have to defend my 3G TL.

I've had a 5AT for 10 years, 228K trouble-free miles. I've never had a single rattle. I get 31mpg on the highway. Over the years I've changed the tires, fluids, windshield wiper blades, air filters, timing belt and that's it. I have the original brakes, and everything else is original. I hope my new TLX serves me just as well!
My 3G has been great and reliable as well,
BUT I find it hard to believe you haven't had a single rattle...
Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
This is what it takes to justify your purchase? Now that is very cool. I am very impressed! I have driven the Q50S several times. My GF was interested in one and we went back a few times. She bought an IS350 instead. In the end, the Q50 just didn't impress like you say.

My feelings aren't hurt, just calling you out on your BS statements.

The Eau Rouge, a $100K+ car is your gauge? Ok dude.
Yes the IS350 is better than the Q50, but the Q50 is better than the TLX IMO.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DEman19901
Yes the IS350 is better than the Q50, but the Q50 is better than the TLX IMO.
Thanks for your input. I prefer the luxury Accord to the luxury Altima
CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for your input. I prefer the luxury Accord to the luxury Altima
I won't criticize you for having such low expectations.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DEman19901
I won't criticize you for having such low expectations.
You just did.. because I don't live up to your standards? Classic!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
How can the TLX not be a step up when USDYEN is strengthening? In layman's term, Honda is making more money when they convert the almighty USD back to YEN.

Historical exchange rates from 1953 with graph and charts

There's also competition (even in Hyundai/Kia) that is upping up the ante/stakes.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Racer

My car was well maintance

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
you need to start maintaining your car
I take good care of the car. Always use sun shade for the dash board. And consider the dash. It was clear a design issues...the dash cracked right at the air bag line.

Definitely my TL was an early build
Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
I had the chance to take a V6 P-AWS tech out for a test drive recently. Here are my thoughts:
  • I believe the comparison with the TL seats has been made before. Let me add my 2 cents to that: There is no way you can throw this thing in a corner really fast (like a 4G SH-AWD) without your shoulders getting out of the seat left or right. The 4G TL has much better shoulder support. I am not saying the TLX seats are not comfy, but the 4G TL's are even more sporty.
  • Also for some reason the seat belts didn't tighten when I got very spirited on a corner... even tho on the 4G they do. Perhaps the threshold is higher than what I attempted?
  • No grab handle inside on the door. Again, it has been mentioned here before. It puzzles me that even tho there is tons of space for that they decided to get rid of it. It would be nice to have it back! Habits I like to keep!
  • Wish the gear indicator on the dash was displayed in auto mode. Accelerating on the on-ramp sometimes is unpredictable. It is smooth enough going down a few gears and then back up, but it takes a while to get enough experience to know how far down you have to press the gas pedal.
  • Positives coming from a 4G TL (and also former 3G TL) owner: its so quiet in there! Perfect long haul car.

Not that any of this bothers me, au contraire, it feels more like an Audi than the 4G that felt more like a Caddy (with apologies to the Caddy people out there ).

Anxiously awaiting for the SH-AWD version since the P-AWS doesn't feel like AWD even tho it tries to!
The following 3 users liked this post by Tonyware:
4WDrift (09-18-2014), MardiGras (09-18-2014), Toddo627 (09-18-2014)