Former 4G owners to TLX comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Former 4G owners to TLX comparison?

I read this forum almost daily and maybe I have overlooked this. I'm seeking reviews of those that stepped out of the 4G, specifically the SH-AWD and bought the either the v6 or the I4 TLX. I'm a current owner of a 2013 SH-AWD and I have yet to test drive the TLX. I'm just curious of your side by side comparisons. I know the TLX SH-AWD has yet to hit the lots but I'm thinking this time around I will just go with the FWD. Either the 4 or the 6 cyl.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Because I'm waiting for AWD (I need it here in Quebec) , I didn't want to try any variant yet. I'll test only the AWD and I'll see if it's worth the change or I'm heading to more premium brand one.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Im on same boat here Keith. I got the 4G-AWD and Im curious about the TLX-AWD also. Need to test drive this model

I also want to probably go for FWD-Advance next time because this AWD system is about +500 lbs heavier than non-AWD.

One thing good about this 4G is the 3.7 engine, WOW! Rev happy engine, love the power.

I also like the AWD when its raining. Other than that, 4G-AWD is a HEAVY car.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I finally checked out a TLX, was near a dealer for another errand and thought I'd at least sit in it and check it out. Unless the SH-AWD has some defining features (other than the obvious) I would not trade my 4G. The seats are just ok, I prefer the bolstering and leather in my 4G. The dash is without question built cheaper. Yes, its a combination of the TSX and the TL, so they had to cut some corners, but its glaringly (pun intended) obvious its not up to the quality of the 4G TL. Figures on paper may show the interior space is around the same as the 4G, but I don't think that translates to real feel. The driver seat does not move back as far as the 4G. I'm 6'1" with long legs and I could not get comfortable unless I moved the rear seat angle way back, almost laying down. Not comfortable for me. One of the deciding factors when I bought my 4G was the driver seat adjustment level. Other cars in the segment suffered the same lack of adjustment as the TLX. Not to mention total lack of thigh support. I could tell after sitting in the car 10 minutes that an hour long drive would be painful. No, I didn't drive it, I didn't need to. Sitting in it was enough to know it's not the right car for me
Old 09-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
^ there are actually several elements of the [deisgned for Europe, built in Japan] TSX interior that are higher quality than the 4G TL. I found the TLX' interior to be a virtual clone of the 3G MDX in terms of materials and build which is not good or bad but brands such as Merc. are still on another level.

Last edited by jeich182; 09-10-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
On my 3rd TL. Had one 3G and 2 4Gs.

Test drove both the i4 and V6 TLX. Not sure what some here are seeing, but the TLX is a big step up from the 3G and a significant step up from the 4G.

Quality of materials inside are a definite step up from the 4G. Suspension is really world class, not matter who you compare it to.

Technology is as good, or better than anything I've ever driven (including a C Class, the S4 I owned, or the E92 335i I owned).

Add in the value quotient, TLX is a huge hit IMHO.
The following 4 users liked this post by graphicguy:
a35tl (09-10-2014), internalaudit (09-16-2014), jhumbo (09-17-2014), Stew4HD (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy

Test drove both the i4 and V6 TLX. Not sure what some here are seeing, but the TLX is a big step up from the 3G and a significant step up from the 4G.

Quality of materials inside are a definite step up from the 4G. Suspension is really world class, not matter who you compare it to.

Technology is as good, or better than anything I've ever driven (including a C Class, the S4 I owned, or the E92 335i I owned).

I agree. I can only guess that many dislike the TLX because it was released not looking like the concept.. though few cars are ever built that are exactly like the concept..
Old 09-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
I finally checked out a TLX, was near a dealer for another errand and thought I'd at least sit in it and check it out. Unless the SH-AWD has some defining features (other than the obvious) I would not trade my 4G. The seats are just ok, I prefer the bolstering and leather in my 4G. The dash is without question built cheaper. Yes, its a combination of the TSX and the TL, so they had to cut some corners, but its glaringly (pun intended) obvious its not up to the quality of the 4G TL. Figures on paper may show the interior space is around the same as the 4G, but I don't think that translates to real feel. The driver seat does not move back as far as the 4G. I'm 6'1" with long legs and I could not get comfortable unless I moved the rear seat angle way back, almost laying down. Not comfortable for me. One of the deciding factors when I bought my 4G was the driver seat adjustment level. Other cars in the segment suffered the same lack of adjustment as the TLX. Not to mention total lack of thigh support. I could tell after sitting in the car 10 minutes that an hour long drive would be painful. No, I didn't drive it, I didn't need to. Sitting in it was enough to know it's not the right car for me
Particularly on the SH-AWD this is my observation also. I suspect Acura has much higher profit margin on the TLX. The additional driving nanny electronics are relatively cheap but the the mechanicals are significantly less in virtually every aspect and to me the TLX is heavy given it mechanically and physically less car. If you thought the 4G SH-AWD was too sporty or too big and you are willing to step down in performance you then the TLX works.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by W.B.MASON
Particularly on the SH-AWD this is my observation also. I suspect Acura has much higher profit margin on the TLX. The additional driving nanny electronics are relatively cheap but the the mechanicals are significantly less in virtually every aspect and to me the TLX is heavy given it mechanically and physically less car. If you thought the 4G SH-AWD was too sporty or too big and you are willing to step down in performance you then the TLX works.
Thanks for your assumptions, we appreciate it.

Look, over there! It's a Unicorn! Sure, you can go pet it. It won't bite
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No need to be nasty. It's obvious you have a full time job here or this is your full time job.

Tires, wheels, brakes, lug nuts, gas tank,engine, car = smaller. No exhaust treatment, no spare and jack. Leather and seats are not the same quality. The list goes on and on.

Don't start with the personnel attacks. What I said is true and be if you don't like too bad, make a argument of merit.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

No need to be nasty. It's obvious you have a full time job here or this is your full time job.

Tires, wheels, brakes, lug nuts, gas tank,engine, car = smaller. No exhaust treatment, no spare and jack. Leather and seats are not the same quality. The list goes on and on.

Don't start with the personnel attacks. What I said is true and be if you don't like too bad, make a argument of merit.
Personal attacks? I haven't begun that

Last edited by Stew4HD; 09-10-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Personal attacks? I haven't begun that
"Give a man a mask and he’ll tell you the truth.” - Oscar Wilde.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4thaccord
"Give a man a mask and he’ll tell you the truth.” - Oscar Wilde.
Mr. Innocent
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Suzuka Master

My feedback in red:

Particularly on the SH-AWD this is my observation also. I suspect Here is where you begin to assume Acura has much higher profit margin on the TLX. How do you know they have a much higher profit margin yet they are selling the car cheaper than the 4g sold for The additional driving nanny electronics are relatively cheap How do you know that they are cheap? Assumption unless you have the price list but the the mechanicals are significantly less in virtually every aspect Again, you say the mechanics are significantly less, which, unless you have the price sheet for part...just saying and to me the TLX is heavy given it mechanically and physically less car Sorry but this is merely an opinion of yours. If you thought the 4G SH-AWD was too sporty or too big and you are willing to step down in performance you then the TLX works.
You wrote your post as if it is all fact and then got upset because I called you out on it being mere assumptions and they are. I know you dislike the TLX for whatever reason. You have made that very clear. It's your opinion and, of course, you are welcome to it.

I owned a 4G and from what I have found in the FWD TLX, it's a better ride than the 4G and plenty others agree and also disagree. I expect the SH-AWD TLX to be even better.

LOL at this being my job.. I want my paycheck then.
Gen4MDX (09-10-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Not buying any of that. The 8 speed DCT and 9 Speed trans alone was a huge investment in the 5G vs the 4G. Some of the electronics you couldn't even get on a 4G let alone the 3G.

TLX FWD V6 is faster than my TL SH AWD. Admittedly, my SH AWD is marginally better through a corner, but the TLX has a much better ride/handling balance. Plus, you can get the TLX in SH AWD. P-AWS 4 wheel steering (which again is a pricey technology and unique to the TLX and RLX except for some high buck exotics) is probably the way I'll go given it's pretty darn good through the corners without the weight of the SH AWD.

There were some around here that said the wood was plastic. Not so. IT's wood. IT has a sealant on it because of extreme heat, cold moisture (which plays havoc with wood) that is shiny. But, it's wood.

Long and short of this, I understand those who love their 3Gs or 4Gs. I loved all of my TLs. But to denigrate the TLX, which seems to be getting overwhelming positive reviews and a great sales start seems disingenuous.
The following 5 users liked this post by graphicguy:
a35tl (09-11-2014), BookemDanole (09-11-2014), internalaudit (09-16-2014), ostrich (09-12-2014), Stew4HD (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
We had a SH AWD Advance (2012) and I have test driven a V6 Advance TLX. They are completely different cars. One a sports sedan, the other an entry level luxury sedan.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jjsC5
We had a SH AWD Advance (2012) and I have test driven a V6 Advance TLX. They are completely different cars. One a sports sedan, the other an entry level luxury sedan.
Since we have yet to see a TLX SH-AWD, the real apples/apples comparison is with the 4G Tech I drove a few times as a loaner to the TLX Tech and like the TLX over that one.

I like the tech and interior better on the TLX over the 4G
Exterior, I loved the stance of the 4G. It had a certain rake to it and loved walking up to it every time. I hope the TLX has the same effect.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Seeing the TLX in white with a body kit made me appreciate the stance of the TLX even more than that of the TL....

I am HOOKED!!

Last edited by weather; 09-11-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I totally agree....it is hard to believe that some people can actually think the TLX is a step up from the TL....it isn't and it is immediately clear that it's the other way around...from the get go, you need less than a minute to immediately see that is not the case. The 4G TL has a level of "plushiness" (pass me the word) and road presence that it's simply not there with the TLX. Just look at the seats for example.

Interior space....stats may say otherwise but just sit at the back of a TLX and then on the TL and tell me which is roomier....and even in the front seats you feel some difference.

The TLX is filling both the TSX and the TL shoes so just only from a logical point of view it's obvious that the car is positioned lower. No need to take it personal, this is the way Acura has decided to slot the car in the market and it may actually increase sales.

The comparison about the amount of tech it's nonsense...it's like saying that a 10 years old 7 Series it's a step down from the TLX because it does not have all the latest electronic nannies....

I would love to see in few years some statistics about how many 4G owners actually traded their ride for the TLX....I suspect not a huge number.

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-11-2014 at 11:32 PM.
silverTL6 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v

I would love to see in few years some statistics about how many 4G owners actually traded their ride for the TLX....I suspect not a huge number.

As a current 4G TL owner, I will definitely upgrade to a TLX when the time is right, probably in another year or so. So count me as one of the statistics.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by a32tl
As a current 4G TL owner, I will definitely upgrade to a TLX when the time is right, probably in another year or so. So count me as one of the statistics.

..yes and if you especially get the 4 banger it will be a heck of an upgrade, a truly sublime sport sedan....

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-12-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy

agree 100%
Old 09-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
The tlx is light year better than my 04 TL. I know all the issues I had as far as built quality with my 3G tl and i've tried to find it in the tlx and unable too.

It is at least one class above my 04 TL

Looks is subjective and I am not going there

No often to any 4 gen owner but I find zero interest in this generation. The sale speak for itself and well the resale value too

I would have purchase the accord or accord v6 if there wasn't the tlx
Old 09-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Suzuka Master

How many people are still driving the 1, 2 & 3G? A lot! There are many 2G's in the parking lot where I work. You can't gauge anything from sales/trade-in #'s of people's opinions on this site.

Nice try though
Old 09-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I totally agree....it is hard to believe that some people can actually think the TLX is a step up from the TL....it isn't and it is immediately clear that it's the other way around...from the get go, you need less than a minute to immediately see that is not the case. The 4G TL has a level of "plushiness" (pass me the word) and road presence that it's simply not there with the TLX. Just look at the seats for example.

Interior space....stats may say otherwise but just sit at the back of a TLX and then on the TL and tell me which is roomier....and even in the front seats you feel some difference.

The TLX is filling both the TSX and the TL shoes so just only from a logical point of view it's obvious that the car is positioned lower. No need to take it personal, this is the way Acura has decided to slot the car in the market and it may actually increase sales.

The comparison about the amount of tech it's nonsense...it's like saying that a 10 years old 7 Series it's a step down from the TLX because it does not have all the latest electronic nannies....

I'm not sure we are agreeing. My post was not meant to imply that one is better than the other. If you want a harder core sports sedan my 2012 SH AWD was better. If you want more of an entry level luxury sedan the new one is better.

Granted, nobody has driven a TLX with the SH AWD package, but I'd bet lots of money that it is going to be pretty much what the FWD TLX is but with all wheel drive - meaning much more of luxury instead of sporty.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for! I'm not looking for an apples to apples comparison. I"m looking at possibly stepping away from the SH-AWD to the TLX FWD. The 3.7 liter engine speaks for itself as I did not care for the engine in the FWD version of the 4G. I have sat in a TLX and it immediately reminded me of the 3G which is ok with the exception of the size. I'm 5'9" and I didn't care for the feeling of the leg room in the back seat. I do like the look of the TLX minus the rims. The price point is good but I was looking to cut through all of the marketing bologna on the TLX by seeking some real life comparisons. I will test it out myself eventually. My 2013 SH-AWD 3.7 is a gas guzzling sum bitch but that is my only gripe!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts

Completely agreeed. This comparison is like asking if a 2015 BMW 335 (TLX) is better, or is a 2009 535xi (4G TL SH-AWD) is better. Although a very important qualifier is that the 4G TL really needs to be the SH-AWD one to even be considered a sports sedan.

Ohhh, so the 2015 model has the latest Bluetooth version and iPhone iOS8 integration, so it must be better, right ?

Also, while sales are obviously indeed indicative of mass-market consumer acceptance, they are not necessarily indicative of the technical quality of the car. Otherwise, the Camry and Malibu would be all we're driving, since these best-sellers would obviously also be of the highest quality (ok, in the case of the Camry, perhaps the best quality control)?
Old 09-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Lots of us disagree with you. You are going to get a Q50.. it's an ugly car that has less room in the driver's seat, less plush than the TLX and that is immediately clear.... see what I did there? IJS
Old 09-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
do not forget how much people hated the TLX when it first introduced. bland look, boring beak and hidden exhaust. but now people want it because that's what Acura offer and people want to be cool to have it first.

Don't get me wrong. i dont hate the TLX. No doubt the TLX is more advance technology wise. also the ride is smoother and less noisy. however, the build quality ( dash, leather, trims) is no where close to even the 3G.

so please be objective and be patient. wait for the SH-AWD and compare it again before making a conclusion.

Last edited by aIRpeACE; 09-12-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
do not forget how much people hated the TLX when it first introduced. bland look, boring beak and hidden exhaust. but now people want it because that's what Acura offer and people want to be cool to have it first.

Don't get me wrong. i dont hate the TLX. No doubt the TLX is more advance technology wise. also the ride is smoother and less noisy. however, the build quality ( dash, leather, trims) is no where close to even the 3G.

so please be objective and be patient. wait for the SH-AWD and compare it again before making a conclusion.
And just to further your point, the 4G was received even worse than the TLX and yet, people bought it.

How much time have you spent in a TLX to be able to say the build quality is subpar? I am just curious to know where the opinion comes from. What part of it is so bad, exactly. I am not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand since other people will read this and will also want to know also.

I do not want the TLX just to have it first!?? Not sure where that comes from
Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Banned

Lots of us disagree with you. You are going to get a Q50.. it's an ugly car that has less room in the driver's seat, less plush than the TLX and that is immediately clear.... see what I did there? IJS
I'm not going to get a Q50 S I got a Q50 S.

You may not like it and it is ok, to each its own but currently the Q50 it is a whole class above the TLX and that is not up for debate...just look at the sticker price. Besides, the Q50 is outside the scope of this thread.

The TLX it is a good car within its segment.

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-12-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Banned

I'm not sure we are agreeing.
Let's say that we agree on the lack of sport so far...
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm not sure we are agreeing. My post was not meant to imply that one is better than the other. If you want a harder core sports sedan my 2012 SH AWD was better. If you want more of an entry level luxury sedan the new one is better.

Granted, nobody has driven a TLX with the SH AWD package, but I'd bet lots of money that it is going to be pretty much what the FWD TLX is but with all wheel drive - meaning much more of luxury instead of sporty.
JJ , well said ! I thinking on same way...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not going to get a Q50 S I got a Q50 S.

You may not like it and it is ok, to each its own but currently the Q50 it is a whole class above the TLX and that is not up for debate...just look at the sticker price. Besides, the Q50 is outside the scope of this thread.

The TLX it is a good car within its segment.
It's not up for debate because YOU say so? A whole class above? Wow, you'd think you had jumped up to a GS class.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

Just Google "acura tlx vs infiniti q50" and see the results.. they are most certainly compared a lot

Last edited by Stew4HD; 09-12-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Banned

It's not up for debate because YOU say so? A whole class above? Wow, you'd think you had jumped up to a GS class.

Yes a whole class above and that it's not debatable.
Look at the price range, engine options, the Hybrid version, the 560 HP Q50 Eau Rouge coming, fit and finish, etc...

Again, I do not understand why you feel the need to talk about the Q50 when the topic of the thread was about 4G owners perspective on the TLX.

Maybe did I hurt your feelings getting a Q50 S for my wife instead of a TLX?? If that is the case, sorry about that...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

And just to further your point, the 4G was received even worse than the TLX and yet, people bought it.

How much time have you spent in a TLX to be able to say the build quality is subpar? I am just curious to know where the opinion comes from. What part of it is so bad, exactly. I am not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand since other people will read this and will also want to know also.

I do not want the TLX just to have it first!?? Not sure where that comes from
I went to two different dealers to test drive both the 4 cylinders and V6. First thing i notice when i got in the car was the quality of the dash and leather. The leather was firm and feel like leatherette. The dash was dull and feel like it's made of hard plastic. All the trim is plastic-like and feel cheap in some ways. I hung around after the test drive to check out more details and for comparison, the RDX on the showroom has a much better build quality. leather is softer and the dash is made of real soft leather. The steering wheel has more grips and just feel better.

I admit that the ride quality is better on the TLX. Better suspension and less noisy cabin. However another thing i notice on the V6 is the sudden up/down shift and jerkiness of the transmission while braking.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
No where close? Really? Only time will tell how the TLX stands up, and I hope it does not deteriorate to the faded dash covering, crack lines on the leather seats, and worn arm rest like my 3G TL. Despite these failings I still liked my TL, but rate the TLX better all round. Even newer, lighter winter mats for the TLX are better. The only obvious advantage of the TL was that it played DVD-A discs.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just Google "acura tlx vs infiniti q50" and see the results.. they are most certainly compared a lot
You are too biased on the Q50. it's a beautiful car with plenty of horses. i heard about the electronic problems and relatively smaller interior. however, trash talk the Q50 doesn't make the TLX a better car. Again be objective.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quandry
No where close? Really? Only time will tell how the TLX stands up, and I hope it does not deteriorate to the faded dash covering, crack lines on the leather seats, and worn arm rest like my 3G TL. Despite these failings I still liked my TL, but rate the TLX better all round. Even newer, lighter winter mats for the TLX are better. The only obvious advantage of the TL was that it played DVD-A discs.
who knows what happen to the TLX in 5-10 years. but what i see right now is the leather and dash quality on the TLX is not on par with the 3G.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes a whole class above and that it's not debatable.
Look at the price range, engine options, the Hybrid version, the 560 HP Q50 Eau Rouge coming, fit and finish, etc...

Again, I do not understand why you feel the need to talk about the Q50 when the topic of the thread was about 4G owners perspective on the TLX.

Maybe did I hurt your feelings getting a Q50 S for my wife instead of a TLX?? If that is the case, sorry about that...
This is what it takes to justify your purchase? Now that is very cool. I am very impressed! I have driven the Q50S several times. My GF was interested in one and we went back a few times. She bought an IS350 instead. In the end, the Q50 just didn't impress like you say.

My feelings aren't hurt, just calling you out on your BS statements.

The Eau Rouge, a $100K+ car is your gauge? Ok dude.

Quick Reply: Former 4G owners to TLX comparison?