First drive in TLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
First drive in TLX

I had the opportunity to drive a V-6 TLX Tech today while my TL AWD was in for service. I have to say, I was very impressed with the car. It was solid, quiet, and very nice. I was surprised by how quick the car is. Yes, I experienced the downshift hesitation (driving in Sport mode the entire time), but once you adjust your driving style for that, when this car gets in the right gear it flat out hauls! I could tell the car is softer and doesn't have the same performance capabilities as my TL, but it was still a very nice car. I couldn't help but wonder what a performance SH AWD version would be like. I could see how the touchscreen functions would take some time to get used to, but everything is there and worked well. The ELS sound system was good, but seemed to lack a little of the depth of the system in my car. My two colleagues who rode in the car at lunch were very impressed with the car too, especially the acceleration.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the TLX 4cy and TLX V6 on loaner while my 04 TL was in the shop. I agree the V6 in sport drive was hard to get used to but it would get up and go. Even thru the TLX V6 has more power than my 04 TL manual, I this rather shift my gear than waiting on the car to shift for me. I really didn't like the down shifting in sport drive.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have to say, while I love my TLX AWD Advance my 4G AWD Tech just felt more solid, planted and more fun to drive. The TLX I great, but I can feel the cost cutting especially in the suspension, more jittery then the 4G.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
^ It's a little harder for me to compare driving dynamics since I drove a FWD TLX, but I did notice the car is just "softer" than my 4G. I did take note of some evident cost-cutting inside, a phenomenon not confined to Acura these days. (We can probably thank the Korean brands for that). While the leather seems nice, for example, the seat cushion seems shorter than my 4G and a little less supportive. The seats are considerably less bolstered, I think.

It's obvious to me that Acura targeted the 4G (at least in AWD versions) to the enthusiast demographic, while the TLX is aimed at a broader lux/sports group. But then, the car offers more tech than my 4G. I think the TLX screams for a Type-S version with more aggressive tires, looks and seat bolstering, stiffer suspension and perhaps a bit more pop in the motor (coupled with a MT option, of course).
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I have to say, while I love my TLX AWD Advance my 4G AWD Tech just felt more solid, planted and more fun to drive. The TLX I great, but I can feel the cost cutting especially in the suspension, more jittery then the 4G.
Idk, 2 things i hate about the 4g tl: excessive road noise and very harsh ride/suspension. Based on reviews, the ride of the tlx is one of its strong points. One writer even said that it holds its own on the fucked up streets of new york. The ride quality is a welcome addition to me especially when driving in the LA area.
The following 2 users liked this post by mondster:
wlkeel (11-01-2015), youngTL (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Idk, 2 things i hate about the 4g tl: excessive road noise and very harsh ride/suspension. Based on reviews, the ride of the tlx is one of its strong points. One writer even said that it holds its own on the fucked up streets of new york. The ride quality is a welcome addition to me especially when driving in the LA area.
True the 4G AWD was a firm hard ride, but on decent roads I loved it. In the TLX AWD if I am in a turn on rough bumpy pavement at a reasonable speed the suspension hops and jitters, no where near as planted as my 4G, M37S or A6.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I had the opportunity to drive a V-6 TLX Tech today while my TL AWD was in for service. I have to say, I was very impressed with the car. It was solid, quiet, and very nice. I was surprised by how quick the car is. Yes, I experienced the downshift hesitation (driving in Sport mode the entire time), but once you adjust your driving style for that, when this car gets in the right gear it flat out hauls! I could tell the car is softer and doesn't have the same performance capabilities as my TL, but it was still a very nice car. I couldn't help but wonder what a performance SH AWD version would be like. I could see how the touchscreen functions would take some time to get used to, but everything is there and worked well. The ELS sound system was good, but seemed to lack a little of the depth of the system in my car. My two colleagues who rode in the car at lunch were very impressed with the car too, especially the acceleration.
I am happy that you're impressed with the TLX!

While I was a fan of my 4G TL SH-AWD, I really appreciate the super quiet cabin of the TLX, and the much more supple suspension. I think that those were two big weaknesses of the 4G TL and so I am very happy that the TLX has significant improvements over those areas.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I am happy that you're impressed with the TLX!

While I was a fan of my 4G TL SH-AWD, I really appreciate the super quiet cabin of the TLX, and the much more supple suspension. I think that those were two big weaknesses of the 4G TL and so I am very happy that the TLX has significant improvements over those areas.
I can buy the quieter cabin but the suspension in the 4G is one of its strongest qualities. I agree the 4G was aimed at a different audience than the TLX. While the TLX has polite road manners the sacrifice was the road feel and handling. I do hope for a proper tlx type s soon. Until then my 4G remains the fun car in the stable
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
I can buy the quieter cabin but the suspension in the 4G is one of its strongest qualities. I agree the 4G was aimed at a different audience than the TLX. While the TLX has polite road manners the sacrifice was the road feel and handling. I do hope for a proper tlx type s soon. Until then my 4G remains the fun car in the stable
For someone who lives in an area where the roads are like the surface of the moon (Alberta), the TLX is better. I am coming from a 3G Type-S to a TLX SH-AWD though, and the TLX handles better than the 3G Type-S. I can understand why it doesn't handle as well as the 4G SH-AWD though, that thing was tighter and sportier (while an advantage on good roads is a disadvantage here where I live).

I'm so tired of bone-jarring drives in my 3G. My TLX arrives Dec 7. Until then, I wait patiently.