Downshift Using Paddle Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015 | 09:37 AM
Advanced

Downshift Using Paddle Shifter

2015 TLX V6 Advanced - Noticed that when I manually downshift at speeds between 30-40 mph, the car actually speeds up slightly for a few seconds before the transmission actually downshifts. Anyone else notice this and is this "normal"? My 2013 TL V6 does not do this.
Old 06-12-2015 | 09:46 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Originally Posted by C-Lad
2015 TLX V6 Advanced - Noticed that when I manually downshift at speeds between 30-40 mph, the car actually speeds up slightly for a few seconds before the transmission actually downshifts. Anyone else notice this and is this "normal"? My 2013 TL V6 does not do this.

Yup "it's normal" and I get that also on Sport+ (not using the paddle shifter) when I'm braking to stop at the light or so. I feel a surge forward.
This morning I almost hit the guy before me (yes, I was kind of close in traffic) when I was braking the car "surge" forward while I was doing a light braking and I had press way harder on the brakes to avoid the hit.
It's like the car it goes on "free" wheel for a second or so and than you feel the downshift. It's very annoying and surprising at the beginning . Yes, I'm with you here , my 2009 was reacting as it suppose to , instead the TLX transmition is full of surprises . I got use to it , but I still don't like it.
This is my ONLY complain about TLX.
Old 06-12-2015 | 03:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by C-Lad
Yep... I've noticed the same thing. It's kind of disconcerting at times. Seems like it"s "normal" for the TLX, but I'm not sure it should be.....
Old 06-15-2015 | 01:42 PM
Dealership Relations

Yes, this is normal for the TLX. I believe the car rev matches as you downshift. Which is why you get the feeling of the car speeding up. In Sport + The car aggressively downshifts and upshifts automatically without the use of paddle shifters- and it definitely takes some getting used to.
Old 06-16-2015 | 07:30 PM
I feel the need...

If you guys check again, it only happens when downshifting from 5th into 4th gear at a decent clip. Not sure why it only happens in that gear, but I'll bet it has something to do with this...

ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars

After 8 months and almost 13k miles, can say without hesitation that I am not a fan of the 9AT ZF. I will probably be looking to trade my TLX SH-AWD for a Golf R or Focus RS in a year or two. This car is too boring after six happy years with my 4G 6MT.
Old 06-16-2015 | 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
If you guys check again, it only happens when downshifting from 5th into 4th gear at a decent clip. Not sure why it only happens in that gear, but I'll bet it has something to do with this...

ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars

After 8 months and almost 13k miles, can say without hesitation that I am not a fan of the 9AT ZF. I will probably be looking to trade my TLX SH-AWD for a Golf R or Focus RS in a year or two. This car is too boring after six happy years with my 4G 6MT.

I'm kind on same boat. My lease is for 3 years (usually I'm buying the cars) and I did the right choice .I had a feeling that I'll miss the fun of 4g . Definitely , I'll look for something more engaging next time.
Old 06-18-2015 | 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Sorry that you aren't fully enjoying your TLX. Is it mostly the transmission issues? From an esthetic point of you, I feel the TLX is very handsome car and I would have one in my driveway based on looks alone.
Old 06-18-2015 | 06:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

Golf R, Focus RS are 2 very different cars from the TLX. If you were expecting even close to that level of fun out of the TLX, I wouldnt be surprised if you didnt like it.

I wish Acura went back to their roots (a la Integra GS-R) but its clear they didnt, at least not with the TLX. They shouldnt be faulted that the TLX is not as fun as a hot hatchback, because its NOT a hot hatchback. If you had to choose a Ford that the TLX competed with, it would be the Fusion.

Im not even sure the 4G TL would be a good comparison to the Golf R or Focus RS.
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (06-20-2015)
Old 06-18-2015 | 07:49 PM
Advanced

Same here - I typically use paddle downshift to slow down on a steep downhill. I have to anticipate the downhill and downshift ahead of the steep part. If I don't the 'jump' can easily get me +8 mpg before the downshift begins slowing the car down.

I've always presumed it to be the interim 'neutral' step with the dog clutches while the input and outputs match speed....
Old 06-18-2015 | 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Sorry that you aren't fully enjoying your TLX. Is it mostly the transmission issues? From an esthetic point of you, I feel the TLX is very handsome car and I would have one in my driveway based on looks alone.

Weather , Yes is mostly the transmission issues . Also I can say that I'm a "sporty" driver and TLX is killing all my fun because of the transmission on combination with throttle response. What bugs me the most is the length of the pedal travel to get a response. I found myself all the way on the "pedal on metal" to get a downshift . I just tested today more with paddle shifter and while the display shows that it downshifted the actual downshift you can feel it after a while (maybe 1.5-2 seconds). Using the paddle shifters I need to have constantly (in traffic) my 2 hands on the wheel. Usually I use only my left hand with my elbow on the door , especially while on long stretch of highway.
The look is ok , but I would love to had a wider stance as the 4g.

Like I said before TLX is a nice car and very good value (actually that was the primary motive that I get it) , but that transmission is taking away all the fun that I use to have with my TL and to be honest I start to regret my decision

Last edited by Momyc; 06-18-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2015 | 08:26 AM
Racer

With the 4-cyl. I took my foot off the gas the other day, on level ground, and must have coasted at the same speed, no reduction, for several hundred yards. Very disconcerting. Is it for pollution control reasons they keep the throttle open? I'm just used to having a car actually slow down when one takes one's foot off the gas pedal.
Old 06-19-2015 | 11:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Momyc
Weather , Yes is mostly the transmission issues . Also I can say that I'm a "sporty" driver and TLX is killing all my fun because of the transmission on combination with throttle response. What bugs me the most is the length of the pedal travel to get a response. I found myself all the way on the "pedal on metal" to get a downshift . I just tested today more with paddle shifter and while the display shows that it downshifted the actual downshift you can feel it after a while (maybe 1.5-2 seconds). Using the paddle shifters I need to have constantly (in traffic) my 2 hands on the wheel. Usually I use only my left hand with my elbow on the door , especially while on long stretch of highway.
The look is ok , but I would love to had a wider stance as the 4g.

Like I said before TLX is a nice car and very good value (actually that was the primary motive that I get it) , but that transmission is taking away all the fun that I use to have with my TL and to be honest I start to regret my decision
Have you had your TCM updated? Since I did, my ZF downshifts more quickly.
Old 06-19-2015 | 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Have you had your TCM updated? Since I did, my ZF downshifts more quickly.
Nothing new for Canadian edition...

Actually I see/have 2 problems :
-the hard shifts
-the response time (which for me is the most important and I may let go the hard shift , if the transmission will be fast)

It's the new update addressing the 2 of them or only the hard shift ?

Last edited by Momyc; 06-19-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2015 | 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ The way you described the lag in the throttle response is EXACTLY what I experienced during my first TLX test drive. The second one was much better but still no match compared to my 4G or my IS.

That is not to say the TLX is not a great car, but for me, that was a huge part of the driving experience as its my toy and the car I like to push to get some fun and that was just not happening.

I am still confident we will see some great news from Acura by the summer of 2016.
Old 06-19-2015 | 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by weather
^^ The way you described the lag in the throttle response is EXACTLY what I experienced during my first TLX test drive. The second one was much better but still no match compared to my 4G or my IS.

That is not to say the TLX is not a great car, but for me, that was a huge part of the driving experience as its my toy and the car I like to push to get some fun and that was just not happening.

I am still confident we will see some great news from Acura by the summer of 2016.
I hope myself that
Old 06-20-2015 | 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

This is a totally different and MUCH more refined car (in almost every way) than a Golf or a Focus RS, as as ben pointed out. As for lurching at stops, from what I've read, you should not be driving in Sports + mode unless you use the paddle shifters. I would add that the car is not really designed to use Sport + in all situations, particularly traffic. It is a sporty luxury car, not a luxury sports car, and that suits those of us who wanted that combination to the tee. No offence, but perhaps it just wasn't what you really wanted. For me, the 6 cylinder engine with the 9 speed is an excellent blend of power and fuel economy. The first two shifts have improved a lot for me, especially if i use a little more throttle through them. As for looks, although I like the more recent versions of the TL as well, it is an improvement, but then beauty, as always, is in the eye of the beholder.

As a general comment, I find it interesting how often the TLX is compared to totally different cars, whether its a sporty hatchback or a Camry or an Accord, etc. For the most part, the comparison group is BMW3, Mercedes C, Infiniti Q50, and Lexus IS. In terms of an overall value proposition, it does very well against all of those…IMHO.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (06-20-2015), Quandry (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015 | 01:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chris03tl
Golf R, Focus RS are 2 very different cars from the TLX. If you were expecting even close to that level of fun out of the TLX, I wouldnt be surprised if you didnt like it.

I wish Acura went back to their roots (a la Integra GS-R) but its clear they didnt, at least not with the TLX. They shouldnt be faulted that the TLX is not as fun as a hot hatchback, because its NOT a hot hatchback. If you had to choose a Ford that the TLX competed with, it would be the Fusion.

Im not even sure the 4G TL would be a good comparison to the Golf R or Focus RS.
+10
Old 06-28-2015 | 07:33 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by chris03tl
I never said they were in the same class. Just saying after almost nine months in the TLX it is putting me to sleep and there are enough minor annoyances for me to not want to keep it for very long.

If you've driven the 4G 6MT perhaps you'd change your mind, heavier but still way more fun than the slusher.
Old 06-28-2015 | 08:53 PM
Instructor

crap wish i read this before i did my lease for a 15 TLX V6 shawd tech

i did notice the car's not that engaging. but i then again im coming from a 08 civic si which is really engaging.

i test drove a 12 TL advance package and that car felt more raw. however they sold it before i can come back and get it. =(

guess i will be stuck in this TLX for the next 3 yrs. picking up the car on thursday....guess i will give it a chance.
Old 06-28-2015 | 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fryrice
crap wish i read this before i did my lease for a 15 TLX V6 shawd tech

i did notice the car's not that engaging. but i then again im coming from a 08 civic si which is really engaging.

i test drove a 12 TL advance package and that car felt more raw. however they sold it before i can come back and get it. =(

guess i will be stuck in this TLX for the next 3 yrs. picking up the car on thursday....guess i will give it a chance.

Don't worry. You'll probably end up loving the TLX. My advice would be to quit reading negative opinions about it because you'll be predisposed to agree with them. Just drive the car and form your own opinions. They may end up being negative opinions but more than likely, you will like the car.
Old 06-29-2015 | 11:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Momyc
Nothing new for Canadian edition...

Actually I see/have 2 problems :
-the hard shifts
-the response time (which for me is the most important and I may let go the hard shift , if the transmission will be fast)

It's the new update addressing the 2 of them or only the hard shift ?
I would say based on observation that it is fastER, but there are still certain points where it hesitates just a bit. As far as the rough shifts go, those are gone 1-2 and greatly reduced 2-3. I do expect another "refinement" update in the next year or so, frankly.
Old 06-29-2015 | 03:53 PM
Instructor

I haven't noticed this until my recent trip through the mountains. As i was cruising in sport mode getting 40+ mpg, i did notice the little jump/forward surge as the car was down shifting. Going down a straight hill on cruise control, the car down shifts to keep the car from speeding too fast and i kept feeling the surge of power. It felt odd. I'm going to ask the dealer when i take it in for service. (But i doubt they can tell me anything about it.)

On the bright side though, the sh-awd system going up hill and around curves and corners is freaken awesome! Especially in sport and sport+ modes!
Old 06-30-2015 | 09:03 PM
Advanced

I have a regular commute that has a 40-mph steep downhill - you either need to downshift a few gears or constantly riding brakes to keep within a reasonable speed.

I've taken to using the paddle shifters - three taps - first brings up D6, then D5, then D4 which maintains speed perfectly. I had to learn to time the downshifts BEFORE the downslope - there seems to be a couple of steps that occur over 2 seconds or so - an initial moderate 'release' (ie. semi-neutral feel) followed by a longer full 'release' (feels like full neutral - no engine braking). If I wait until I'm on the downslope, I'll be at 48-52 mph before D4 starts gradually slowing the car down.

This seems characteristic of the dog clutch operation - not a big deal once you learn it...I've nearly always had manual shift trucks that require anticipation of what gear you need to be in. The effect was disconcerting at first but does not at all diminish my enjoyment of my TLX....FWIW