Don't sleep on the Tlx V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't sleep on the Tlx V6

I must admit I was turned off by the TLX initially, the tranny was horrid and the styling seemed uninspired. It was a value play. I had an amazing saab 95 turbo (rip saab) which was so quick and responsive the TLX seemed to be mired in molasses. However after 7k miles I am impressed with the driving capabilities of the TLX. I have literally boxed in a SRT charger, demolished an E and 4 series and crushed a Jag. I am not a street racer but know when a someone is testing me and I enjoy spirited driving. Sport plus mode is heavenly on a mountain road and overall the design has really grown on me. If Acura can infuse more passion in their design language and refine the rough edges of this car it can be a major player in the segement. I see more and more of them on the road. Acura don't sleep on the opportunity to make this a mmonumental car in the segment. The numbers don't really tell how quick this car is in real life driving scenarios. It is better in dynamic situations, the tranny is OK then, it is like the development team tuned this car in a track environment. Keep hope alive folks. Push your car safely and legally but enjoy it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Aurelius:
5 Acuras (06-23-2016), 9SpeedTran (06-27-2016), rockstar143 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Every now and then I put the pedal to the floor and am surprised at how quick the car is, and on top of that it feels light. With better tires, and if you downshift fast enough to the right gear, the car really does pull quite nicely.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:59 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Aurelius
I must admit I was turned off by the TLX initially, the tranny was horrid and the styling seemed uninspired. It was a value play. I had an amazing saab 95 turbo (rip saab) which was so quick and responsive the TLX seemed to be mired in molasses. However after 7k miles I am impressed with the driving capabilities of the TLX. I have literally boxed in a SRT charger, demolished an E and 4 series and crushed a Jag. I am not a street racer but know when a someone is testing me and I enjoy spirited driving. Sport plus mode is heavenly on a mountain road and overall the design has really grown on me. If Acura can infuse more passion in their design language and refine the rough edges of this car it can be a major player in the segement. I see more and more of them on the road. Acura don't sleep on the opportunity to make this a mmonumental car in the segment. The numbers don't really tell how quick this car is in real life driving scenarios. It is better in dynamic situations, the tranny is OK then, it is like the development team tuned this car in a track environment. Keep hope alive folks. Push your car safely and legally but enjoy it.
Is your TLX a 15 or 16 version? I'm really leaning hard towards adding a TLX in the next year or so. The combo of power and mpgs makes the V-6 version almost impossible to pick the 2.4L over it. Just waiting to see if Acura Watch will be pushed down to lower trims for 17 or if I have to wait for the 18 MMC versions.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
.....were the 4 Series or the SRT dudes actually aware they were in a "race" in the first place?? (let's be clear, I strongly condemn with no excuses street racing)
Excuse me for my French but a SRT Charger would tear you up a new one so large you could drive a semi-truck through it....it would literally pulverize you, straight road or twisty one....or maybe a Granma was driving....
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (06-27-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 10:47 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
The combo of power and mpgs makes the V-6 version almost impossible to pick the 2.4L over it.
I agree with this statement. I got the V6 SH-AWD Elite and I get insanely good mileage. I actually have grown to like the 9AT quite a bit (I have a 2016). However, I think the 8DCT is a good reason to pick the 2.4L. It's just so snappy! If I did only city driving, I would pick the 2.4L I4 for sure. But I don't. Plus SH-AWD is something I couldn't turn down. The FWD V6 has no reason to exist because the SH-AWD gets almost as good mileage real-world (I get 38 MPG highway). In fact, Acura Canada doesn't offer the V6 in FWD form.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I didn't get the 2.4L for either power or gas mileage. It just seemed more nimble and fun to drive. I do mostly city and mountain driving (where the DCT in Sport+ mode really shines), and as youngTL mentioned, the 2.4L is a good fit. In any case, everyone is different - drive both extensively and make your choice. But I wouldn't call it "almost impossible" to pick the 2.4L.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Both excellent cars - I've had the 3.5 SH-AWD (2016) and now the 2016 2.4. Had i started with the retuned 2016 3.5 SH-AWD, I might have stayed with it. However, for me, I do mainly city driving (although the 2.4 has more than enough highway pep for me), and the 8DCT with that engine, lighter front end and the PAWS make this the perfect car...FOR ME. The improvement in fuel economy in the city is about 20%, what you would expect.
Warrior 6 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced

@ Mr.Gold I have the 16.

@ SaturnoV a hell cat yes, a heavy SRT on a highway with traffic = no. You seriously overestimate the capability of that car. Have you actually driven the tlx?
Old 06-25-2016, 01:54 PM
Advanced

and before all the horsepower and quarter mile quotes start rolling in ...
, street racing is dangerous and I don't condemn it, this car may get smoked in a drag race (its not a muscle car) but it is more than capable in "transitional" situations and can leave people scratching their head or salty.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Banned

@ SaturnoV a hell cat yes, a heavy SRT on a highway with traffic = no. You seriously overestimate the capability of that car. Have you actually driven the tlx?
....it will obliterate you under any metric you you may care to consider, straight or bend, look at the stats (C&D source) comparison between a TLX V6 SH-AWD and a Charger Scat Pack which is still NOT a SRT suspension, braking and tire wise....not even remotely a context.....heck I would spank you badly on a track with my wife's Grand Cherokee SRT let alone a Charger....

A Charger SRT in BMW M5 territory performance wise...

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-25-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Okay dude, I get that your wife has a faster car than you do and your a big time dodge fanboy posting for kicks on an Acura forum. Your prerogative and I am cool with that.

My post was not to say that a TLX is faster than a srt. Different class of vehicle, however I boxed one in on the highway and he couldn't pass me. Not too crazy of an idea. If we were on a straight away I am sure he would left me in his dust...but that was not the point of my post in the first place.

For those of us who ACTUALLY own the car, take it out on the track and enjoy it. A lot of folks have been bashing the TLX for a ton of reasons, I think a lot of us were expecting more from Acura, and there is some truth in that, ( the marketing campaign was horrible) the tranny is still hit or miss (I had to get mine reprogrammed) and the interior is meh. There is no performance variant which is wacky. All in all though the size of the vehicle, the dynamic driving capabilities, and the comfort make this car quite good in the end. It will surprise you if you give it a chance. It stacks well across the board. Btw I owned a Charger and they are nice but just not my thing anymore.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:53 AM
Banned

Okay dude, I get that your wife has a faster car than you do and your a big time dodge fanboy posting for kicks on an Acura forum. Your prerogative and I am cool with that.

My post was not to say that a TLX is faster than a srt. Different class of vehicle, however I boxed one in on the highway and he couldn't pass me. Not too crazy of an idea. If we were on a straight away I am sure he would left me in his dust...but that was not the point of my post in the first place.

For those of us who ACTUALLY own the car, take it out on the track and enjoy it. A lot of folks have been bashing the TLX for a ton of reasons, I think a lot of us were expecting more from Acura, and there is some truth in that, ( the marketing campaign was horrible) the tranny is still hit or miss (I had to get mine reprogrammed) and the interior is meh. There is no performance variant which is wacky. All in all though the size of the vehicle, the dynamic driving capabilities, and the comfort make this car quite good in the end. It will surprise you if you give it a chance. It stacks well across the board. Btw I owned a Charger and they are nice but just not my thing anymore.

I do not know why you are taking it so personally....I'm not a Dodge or any brand fanboy, just a realist.

That concept would have been equally laughable if you were mentioning a Chevrolet SS, a BMW 340i (especially M-Sport) or a Mercedes E63 AMG....assuming similar driving skill you will not stop a Charger SRT (or similar super sport sedans) from passing you no matter if we are talking about straight line or curves....I'm not saying it did not happen, I'm saying that the other driver had either significant less driving skills or did not want to push it or there was literally no room for him to pass...owning a car of that caliber does not mean being able to drive it properly, average drivers are not very good.

I see a fighting chance (again, assuming similar driving skills) in some situations with a 428i

I drove the TLX V6 SH-AWD, no offense but it ain't a Charger SRT, Chevrolet SS, BMW M performance and handling wise....maybe you should take the latest Charger SRT for a spin and see it for yourself....no comparison...

I loved to death my TL SH-AWD 6MT but I had no illusion it could keep at bay, let's say, an Audi S7 in the twisties all else being equal....

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-26-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:12 AM
mrgold35

I checked out the videos and I agree with the reviewer with Acura should provide a 6MT option for the TLX. I know 8DCT/9AT can shift faster, last longer, and better mpgs; but, 6MT can be soooo much fun. Having a 6MT would feel like a HP/TQ bump for the 2.4L and 3.5L engines.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,597 Likes on 961 Posts
Let our "Saturn0_V" alone....he will write books to proof you that all the cars (luxury and non-luxury) are better than Acura

According to him Kia Forte is faster and offers better equipment than TLX

Jokes aside, I still like you. You keep us entertained with your comments and intensive research!

Last edited by Tony Pac; 06-26-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Just a thought..... 99.9% of us who own a TLX don't actually drive track. Further, a Charger and a TLX are designed to appeal, for the most part, to entirely different market segments. For that reason, IMHO, I find the comparison akin to comparing the Leafs to the Bears. Perhaps, an amusing and sometimes entertaining exercise, but one that seems pointless.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony Pac

Jokes aside, I still like you. You keep us entertained with your comments and intensive research!

Definitely, I keep someone informed...
Old 06-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
I just had a 2016 v6 fwd...and that car is super fast IMO...and that's from a bolted 07 TL-S Manual. Tranny takes some getting used to but if I weren't such a cheap fuck, I'd HIGHLY consider the TLX as an upgrade to my car. I just still love 10 year old Hondas.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Just a thought..... 99.9% of us who own a TLX don't actually drive track. Further, a Charger and a TLX are designed to appeal, for the most part, to entirely different market segments. For that reason, IMHO, I find the comparison akin to comparing the Leafs to the Bears. Perhaps, an amusing and sometimes entertaining exercise, but one that seems pointless.
Nobody here, including the OP, was talking about who is cross-shopping what..
Old 06-26-2016, 01:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,597 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Quote of the day brother!!!

Your love for Acura is unique and not a single indvidual can compete with you. Even the fanboys...
Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by saturno_v
All good Saturno, aside from the fact you called me a liar and delusional I enjoy the back and forth with you. I will check out the SRT they have come a long way. I did test drive it when it first came out and I was not blown away. My brother is a tuner so I know what is fast, he took me in a 1000 hp supra, twin turbo RX7, NSX, Viper (they will try to kill you), M3 etc. Our cars are not even in that conversation- would be nice if Acura started doing something about that.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Banned

All good Saturno, aside from the fact you called me a liar and delusional I enjoy the back and forth with you. I will check out the SRT they have come a long way. I did test drive it when it first came out and I was not blown away. My brother is a tuner so I know what is fast, he took me in a 1000 hp supra, twin turbo RX7, NSX, Viper (they will try to kill you), M3 etc. Our cars are not even in that conversation- would be nice if Acura started doing something about that.
I never called you a liar or delusional, I just pointed the fact (maybe with a bit too much pungent humor) that the episodes you mentioned are more reflective in your driving skills (and/or conversely lack of thereof in your "opponents") than any particular intrinsic handling capability of the TLX.
I do think the TLX is a good handler but not that exceptional to overcome its serious shortcomings in terms of power, low end torque, brakes and suspension setup compared to a Charger SRT (or similar cars) which are very extremely good handlers (for their size) as well.

What model year was your Charger by the way?? Model??
Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Well said Saturno- here she is..lots of good memories in this car.
Alas she was an SXT, looked good but a true slow poke... was in college so it was all I could afford. Test drove the SRT same day I picked her up, it was way out of my league financially back then.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Banned

Well said Saturno- here she is..lots of good memories in this car.
Alas she was an SXT, looked good but a true slow poke... was in college so it was all I could afford. Test drove the SRT same day I picked her up, it was way out of my league financially back then.

Ohh that was the first series of the LX based Charger...good platform fundamentals but execution back then was still weak, fit and finish was typical of the Chrysler of that era, an old MB gearbox and suspension tuning was still lacking.
From the MY 2015 the Charger is a total different animal, actually quite refined, lots of latest tech and gadgets, a world class transmission and finely tuned suspension setup....you should definitely take one for a spin even a relatively "lowly" RT Road & Track with the 5.7 Hemi....you may be surprised....hopefully you are not going to have a buyer remorse
Few 4G TL owners on this forum did look at the new Charger (and one actually bought it). I personally know of another 4G SH-AWD 6MT owner that got a Charger SRT (which puts a ear to ear grin on his face all the time he takes it for a spin) but he is not a forum member.

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-27-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 AM

I love an SRT
Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 AM
mrgold35

There is a 99.999% chance I will get a TLX V-6 as my next vehicle. The Charger makes the coolest looking cop cars. I would get the Charger (or Dodge Durango SRT8) just for the front LED DRL and rear tail lights!

Name:  2015-Dodge-Charger-Pursuit-placement-626x382_zpsd0bm7zqo.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  66.6 KB
Name:  087ea609ef2a488503128e6244eb23ac_zpsu2ybw0dr.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  38.3 KB
Name:  2015_dodge_durango_4dr-suv_rt_r_oem_1_600_zps54ry1gjs.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  35.9 KB
Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 AM

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT is where it's at!
Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I feel the same way, I been meaning to make a post as to why people say the TLX isn't fast and blah blah blah. I don't get on it that much but when I do that thing is FAST! I've had it for a year and after my first oil change the service tech asked why my front tires were going ball so quick.... After that I have been trying to be more responsible. Sport plus is fun but with the paddle shifters it is ridiculous! It is scary how quick the tranny moves. I drive in Sport and Normal most the time and in both modes when I want to I will definitely get up to speed very quickly. I once had a buddy in the car and got up to 90 and took a corner and he looked at me like "well damn, my car wouldn't of survived that". I don't know what they compare the TLX to but when its apples to apples the TLX seems to be faster than most cars with similar or even slightly more horses. I know if Honda decided to make a model that rivaled those other models that put higher power in their models it would definitely shit on the competition. Sad to see that they are so comfortable with just being good and not great.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
0-60 is everything to some people. Even a turd on wheels can move pretty quick
Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by nore03
I feel the same way, I been meaning to make a post as to why people say the TLX isn't fast and blah blah blah. I don't get on it that much but when I do that thing is FAST! I've had it for a year and after my first oil change the service tech asked why my front tires were going ball so quick.... After that I have been trying to be more responsible. Sport plus is fun but with the paddle shifters it is ridiculous! It is scary how quick the tranny moves. I drive in Sport and Normal most the time and in both modes when I want to I will definitely get up to speed very quickly. I once had a buddy in the car and got up to 90 and took a corner and he looked at me like "well damn, my car wouldn't of survived that". I don't know what they compare the TLX to but when its apples to apples the TLX seems to be faster than most cars with similar or even slightly more horses. I know if Honda decided to make a model that rivaled those other models that put higher power in their models it would definitely shit on the competition. Sad to see that they are so comfortable with just being good and not great.
The gear ratios in the TLX are pretty good (both the 8 speed and 9 speed), that makes a big difference. My SH-AWD is pretty fast off the line and I'm not eating tires haha.

Actually, what impresses me most about the TLX is not really the power (I would say that's above adequate but not great, it's just good), but the fuel economy. I get RIDICULOUS fuel economy for an AWD V6 car that weighs 3700+ pounds. Much higher than what it's rated at. The handling is also pretty darn good with proper semi-performance tires on the thing (not the shit they give you from the factory...). And the stereo and seat comfort are just superb. I've never had a sore back even on 12-13 hour drives, and the ELS sounds very very good for the type of music I listen to.
The following 2 users liked this post by youngTL:
ClevelandTLX (07-06-2016), nore03 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like AWD is the way to go...do any of you regret spending the extra couple grand to get SH AWD? I am torn between the v6 FWD tech and v6 AWD tech in a CPO 2015.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ClevelandTLX
It sounds like AWD is the way to go...do any of you regret spending the extra couple grand to get SH AWD? I am torn between the v6 FWD tech and v6 AWD tech in a CPO 2015.
It really comes down to if you feel the extra $2k or so is worth it for AWD. As far as handling, my FWD V6 TLX is the most nimble FWD sedan I've ever driven, P-AWS seems to help it. But what sucks is the car peels out everytime you take off from a dead stop, there's just too much power going to 2 front wheels. But this car does seem to peel out more than average, some better tires might help. My AWD TLX loaner never had this problem and always stayed planted. I never saw 36 mpg on the hwy like my FWD, I could only achieve about 31 mpg in the AWD in the month that I had it.
The following 2 users liked this post by atl7:
ClevelandTLX (07-07-2016), nore03 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 AM
mrgold35

Deciding on sh-awd or just fwd for me depends on daily/yearly driving conditions and driving style. I mostly get 3 seasons in NM; but, I travel a lot and get the 4th season (snow/ice/slush) along the way in winter. I do have long stretches of flat roads most of the time; but, a ton of switchbacks and curves when driving in the mountains. The speed limit is usually 75-80 mph and I cruise 5-10 mph above that and extra sh-awd traction helps keep the car a little more stable and level in the curves at that speed. The only extra maint would be the rear diff and transfer case every 30k-60k depending on the M.I.D. schedule You also might get more wear on rear tires because of the sh-awd compared to just fwd. You might have to upgrade the OEM tires or get a summer/winter set to get the most from the sh-awd system in all conditions (I just went with conti DWS year round). I would take both the fwd and sh-awd on a back-to-back test drive and really push the TLX (clover leaf on/off ramps is a easy way to feel any difference, keep in mind the cars will have different types of tires).

The way my wife drives, she would be fine with fwd because she very rarely pushes the sh-awd systems on the MDX/RDX when the "sh" kicks in (and she gets better mpgs than me on average).
ClevelandTLX (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT is where it's at!
yo, they just released the trail hawk with the hellcat engine.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:25 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a TlX Sh-Awd, is the transmission that bad or are owners of the 2016 happy with it? I like the shawd and the speed of the tlx compared to the rdx. Thanks guys.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I have slight regrets at times NOT getting the SH model especially since I came from an 05 RL where I thought the SH was fantastic. I mainly decided against it because I live in the south now compared to when I lived in Connecticut I felt it was more necessary. I will tell you though that when the 2018 comes out I will definitely spring for the extra money and get the SH model. There is nothing at all wrong with the PAWS system but I feel like safety wise the AWD is just more secure, especially since it rains a lot down here. The car still handles very well though and I have pushed it through some aggressive turns and can feel the car still hold the road, but I that added traction from the AWD system to me is definitely worth it. If they bring the SH SH model to the TLX line up then that would be perfect for me and I wouldn't even think twice.
ClevelandTLX (07-07-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 07:19 AM

mmm...trailhawk!
Old 07-09-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jonny888
I'm thinking of getting a TlX Sh-Awd, is the transmission that bad or are owners of the 2016 happy with it? I like the shawd and the speed of the tlx compared to the rdx. Thanks guys.
I'm happy with my 2016 transmission. I bought my car in December 2015 (2016 model). The SH-AWD is definitely worth the extra IMO.
Jonny888 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonny888
Went to the dealership today and drove a 2015 tlx v6 (build date 02/15) and then a 2016 tlx v6 (build date 05/16). I read earlier in the forum the best way to check the shifting from 2nd to 3rd is to use the paddle shifters. Sure enough, when I went from 2nd to 3rd gear using the paddle shifters in the 2015 it was jerky and not smooth. It was not a crazy jerk where I felt whiplash but definitely not as smooth as shifting through any of the other gears. My guess is this transmission falls in between the early build bad transmissions of 2015 and the almost good transmissions of 2015.

I did the same thing with the 2016 and it was much smoother like the rest of the gears shift.

When in drive mode I did not notice the jerking from 2nd to 3rd as much in the 2015 but definitely noticed when using the shifters. I guess I am now looking at a 2016 v6 base to fit my budget, really was hoping for a 2015 cpo v6 tech. Or could choose to live with the transmission and hope to one day get it replaced by the dealer...seems like a headache though!
Jonny888 (07-09-2016)