A discussion for satisfied 2.4 TLX owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 08:37 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Any long term concerns with the 2.4? I thought the direct injection would bring a carbon build up issue on the intake valves but scouring through the 9th gen Accord forums (shared K24W engine), I found none.

My lease expires in a year and hope to buy it out, unless I can find an issue.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:36 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by chums
Any long term concerns with the 2.4? I thought the direct injection would bring a carbon build up issue on the intake valves but scouring through the 9th gen Accord forums (shared K24W engine), I found none.

My lease expires in a year and hope to buy it out, unless I can find an issue.
I've been steadfast in my usage of Top Tier gas - as per directed in the manual - hopefully that will eliminate any issues in that regard.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another satisfied 2.4 owner here. I have the 2016 Base Model, Silver with Gray interior. I have 33K miles, with my miles per month plummeting since COVID. One of my biggest requirements for a car was noise... not just quiet but the type of location of noise. Some noise types really bother me and others don't. I had owned a 2013 Camry SE for while, but the "sport" suspension, and there was a rear-bias road noise that was just really annoying. I also heard pretty annoying road noise on the regular Camrys from the same year.

So when I was shopping for new car in 2016, I test drove a slew of cars, both new and used, looking for better road noise / quieter, while still having decent driving dynamics: Camry, Avalon, Accord, Passat, Jetta, Mazda 6, Acura TL, Altima, Acura TSX, 2012 Lexus ES350, 2014 Lexus ES350. Out of all these cars, the 2014 Lexus ES350 was the quietest, but really not by that wide a margin. There was still some road noise and really didn't feel that much better. I was actually OK with the handling of all these cars, including the ES350. Sure there was some body lean, but nothing I would call "boaty" in my view.

My last test drive was the 2016 TLX and only because there was some great price breaks on it in mid 2016 (I got it for $26K even I think the sticker was $32.5 at the time).... (I was not willing to buy a '15 model because of the known issues), and I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Some road noise from the front, but very mild compared to every other car I drove. ... and really no other noise at all... wind, engine except when gunning it... Plus it handled as good or better than all the other cars I drove (the Mazda 6 was right there with the TLX for handling, but the base seats were way too firm). That, and of course having a Honda NA engine clinched it for me.

My only gripe, which of course I knew about going in, is I wish it had more low end power/torque.... I think this is why the new 2.0 turbo revolution is doing well (that and MPG).... I rarely put the tachometer above 4K and not that often above 3K to be honest... so having some low end grunt would be really welcome. But it's very comfortable, and handles well enough to be fun to drive. A really nice balance. Oh, and I think you don't necessarily "feel" the PAWS, but I think PAWS is the reason why it corners so flat/level.... every other car I drive (except the Mazda 6 which is just tuned much firmer) had way more body lean and I think the PAWS really helps with that. I have since driven the V6 TLX (loaner) a few times and while you get much more power, particularly on the highway, the car's heavy front end makes it feel sloppy with low the mid-speed maneuvering... the 2.4 is much more composed around town IMO. I have never driven the SH-AWD and I'm sure it would be much better... but at the time it was $6-8K more and out of my budget.

I have had no major issues... just oil/filter changes....oh and I had to replace the battery after 3.5 years..... the tires are getting a bit worn and yes, I don't like the tire performance in the rain.... I have slid a few times a moderate speeds in spots I would not expect to slide.... so I will probably try Michelin Primacy's or something like that when I have to replace them.

I also am very glad I got the base model... I saved $4K, and I actually prefer the leatherette seats.... I feel they will last longer with less maintenance needed and they feel great to me. I also don't really miss the upgraded stereo (I tried both).

All and all I'm very happy with this car, especially for a similar price my friend spent on Accord EX-L 4 cyl at the time : )

As for my next car.... I'm not sure yet... I would like to try out a turbo (never driven one) so see if the low end torque difference would be enough to add some long term reliability risk.... the TLX 2.0T, G70 2.0T, Mazda6 2.5T come to mind... but that it probably not for at least a few more years...

Cheers all!

Last edited by ohcello; 01-19-2021 at 12:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ohcello:
benjaminh (01-19-2021), ESHBG (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Do you keep your 2.4 in SPORT mode? That's the way to give yourself more low end power at the push of a button. I always keep it in Sport.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

Yes, I have it defaulted to Sport mode when I turn on the car. Sometimes however, I use ECO mode when I want immediate upshifts, even during "spirited" driving... In ECO, although you need a ton more foot pressure, the moment I let up just a touch on the gas, I get an upshift.... However, I much prefer the heavier steering in Sport Mode, so I use it like 95% of the time. I thought about getting a Sprint Booster and maybe I'll try that later on....
Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done the same. I've been driving v6's over the past few years and my 20 tlx i picked up was my first 4cyl. Naturally there's a difference but I found the 2.4 in sport mode is plenty enough to get in trouble still. Also I found the 2.4 was much more fun to throw around the corner. I found that using "ECO" mode when the roads are snow or ICE covered works well also.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fattydub
I've done the same. I've been driving v6's over the past few years and my 20 tlx i picked up was my first 4cyl. Naturally there's a difference but I found the 2.4 in sport mode is plenty enough to get in trouble still. Also I found the 2.4 was much more fun to throw around the corner. I found that using "ECO" mode when the roads are snow or ICE covered works well also.
Yes, ECO mode is great for slippery conditions. I was very surprise how much different the V6 TLX (non sh-awd) felt compared to the 2.4 as on paper it's only like 110 lbs heavier, but I guess all of that added weight is over the front end... handling wise it felt a bit floaty/sloppy. I drove a friend's 2016 Accord V6 ex-L with 17" wheels and that even felt like it handled a bit tighter then the several TLX V6 loaners I drove... I'm not sure how that's possible as the Accord has more front lopsided weight distribution as well as taller tires...