Differences Between U.S. & Canadian Models

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015 | 10:19 AM
Instructor

Differences Between U.S. & Canadian Models

Until I joined this site and read many posts, I never really thought that much about how cars were configured differently (standard features and options) outside the U.S.- and why Acura chooses to do this.
It seems that each new model year, Acura will "add" a feature to a car to make it a little better or improved over the previous year's car... For example, I remember with previous TL's, how Acura added the keyless FOB one year as a standard feature not present in the year before's model.
So, when the new 2016 TLX's roll out, I wonder what change or addition there will be over the 2015 models- and if it is likely that we, in the States, will see, for example, a heated steering wheel or folding mirrors as our "bonus"- and people in Canada will see something which is currently a U.S. exclusive??
In other words- is Acura's logic to pull out these features from other places as their "value increased marketing plan" from year-to-year, or generally, when something new is introduced in new model years- it is a brand new concept never before seen from Acura cars produced from other countries??

Is anyone up-to-date with what Acura has done in past years with their cars (what features/options have crept their way over the borders from year to year??)
Old 02-03-2015 | 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

The subject line is somewhat misleading as it does not list or ask about the differences. But to your questions, I had not considered this before but maybe Canada is used as the testing ground for these features.
Old 02-03-2015 | 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quandry
The subject line is somewhat misleading as it does not list or ask about the differences. But to your questions, I had not considered this before but maybe Canada is used as the testing ground for these features.
Sorry, I didn't list the differences because there are several posts and threads that do so.
From what I understand, besides certain exterior paint color/interior combinations, in the U.S. we cannot get a 2015 TLX with at least the following things that are available on Canadian models:
-Heated Rear Seats
-Heated Steering Wheel
-Keyless Access for Rear Doors
-Power Folding Side Mirrors
-Headlamp Washers
Old 02-03-2015 | 02:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NJToyMan
Sorry, I didn't list the differences because there are several posts and threads that do so.
From what I understand, besides certain exterior paint color/interior combinations, in the U.S. we cannot get a 2015 TLX with at least the following things that are available on Canadian models:
-Heated Rear Seats
-Heated Steering Wheel
-Headlamp Washers
Some of the differences are negatives but seem to be limited to voice commands. No voice commands for "aha" in Canada. No ability to voice input complete addresses in Canada. There may be others.
Old 02-03-2015 | 02:24 PM
Advanced

-Heated Rear Seats
-Heated Steering Wheel
-Headlamp Washers
I would love to see the heated steering wheel, headlight washers (and one you did not mention) heated windshield available in the US. I live in Minnesota and these items are very nice to have this time of year. I imagine all those living in the "snow belt" would want these winter related items. But I think Acura has some kind of philosophy that these type of items are only needed in Canada. They have done the same thing with the RLX - making the cold weather items only available in Canada.
Old 02-03-2015 | 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

The only option I would like to have are the vented seats. I don't have much use for heaters.
Old 02-03-2015 | 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was not suggesting that I needed to see the list, but that the subject line was misleading. To add to the other posts:
- larger windshield washer container
- low windshield washer fluid warning

Originally Posted by Gary3N
I live in Minnesota and these items are very nice to have this time of year. I imagine all those living in the "snow belt" would want these winter related items.
I am in the Toronto area and from what I hear you "need" these facilities more than we do, but I am not suggesting that I do not need them. As I have said before it is a strange strategy by Acura.
Old 02-03-2015 | 07:03 PM
Instructor

I didn't know how many characters I was allowed or reasonable when creating a thread title, but I guess to make my original question to come back into focus, my title could have read:

"Do Differences in U.S. and Canadian Models Ever Become Available In Future Model Year Releases Of Acuras that Don't Currently Have Those Features?"

as I wanted to know if anyone is aware of past model year Acuras where this actually happened; where something once only available in Canada trickled down the border and eventually became available in the States??
Old 02-04-2015 | 09:25 AM
Instructor

I still can't believe we don't have folding mirrors. Ugh! Hah
The following users liked this post:
MedX172 (05-17-2015)