Deciding on the TLX..so confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015 | 11:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vlke
I'm in Toronto, Canada. The gear shifter is something I'd definitely have to get used to. One thing I didn't really like was the idle stop and it sucks you can't permanently disable it. I don't usually floor the car unless I'm running late lol.
It is annoying that the idle stop reverts to on whenever the car is turned on but if you do get the SH-AWD, it shouldn't take too long to get the right pressure on the brake pedal to stop the car but not trigger the idle stop.
Old 04-05-2015 | 11:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by accord1999
It is annoying that the idle stop reverts to on whenever the car is turned on but if you do get the SH-AWD, it shouldn't take too long to get the right pressure on the brake pedal to stop the car but not trigger the idle stop.
True about the feathering off the gas a bit to get the correct speed to avoid the idle stop kicking in, but sometimes there's no stopping it. It's not too bad if you just turn the wheel a bit from side to side just before you know you need to start again or tap the gas. I know it's a feature to satisfy Govt standards so I just deal with it, but there's no way I'd not buy the TLX because of it or get rid of it. Other issues some owners have may be reason, but not idle stop.
Old 04-06-2015 | 08:41 PM
Instructor

Hi everyone, I want to thank you all for the help. I ended up getting the v6 SH-AWD tech white/ebony with tint, OEM sensors and mats for $46300 out the door. That a decent deal? Price of the car was $39763 + $2130 mandatory fees + 13% tax.
Old 04-06-2015 | 08:50 PM
Instructor

Hi everyone, I want to thank you all for the help. I ended up getting the v6 SH-AWD tech white/ebony with tint, OEM sensors and mats for $46300 out the door. That a decent deal? Price of the car was $39763 + $2130 mandatory fees + 13% tax.

Ops sorry made a mistake price of car is $38843.
Old 04-06-2015 | 09:08 PM
Instructor

Ops sorry made a mistake price of car is $38843.
Congratulations! I mentioned before that I would be happy with a few hundred under $39 without the accessories and you got that price and the accessories so it looks like a very good deal to me.
Old 04-06-2015 | 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Sweeet! Congrats!!
Old 04-06-2015 | 11:02 PM
Instructor

Also I declined all the warranty and other options the dealer tried to sell. They were really pushing the rust protection module. Just to confirm, I don't really need any of those stuff.. right? lol
Old 04-07-2015 | 01:21 AM
Instructor

Another thing, is there a need to get rust proofing? Thanks!
Old 04-07-2015 | 05:15 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Not for the next few years.

So you got that price for a V6 SH-AWD Tech in Canada?!?! My god you did well! Congrats and make sure you post pics
Old 04-07-2015 | 05:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Not for the next few years.

So you got that price for a V6 SH-AWD Tech in Canada?!?! My god you did well! Congrats and make sure you post pics
Thanks! Is there a reason not to rust proof the car right away? I've never done it before on any of my older cars since they weren't as expensive as the TLX.
Old 04-07-2015 | 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Well, the general consensus seems to be that new cars are now pretty much galvanized and don't require any treatment for the first 3 years or so....then if you decided to keep it, yo u can start doing the oil treatment in the doors and such (which is messy as hell). I never owned a vehicle long enough but I am just going from what most car people says....But there is no clear answer so if you want the peace of mind, you can always start now but you could save yourself some money
Old 04-07-2015 | 06:23 PM
Instructor

Ahh gotcha!
Old 04-07-2015 | 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have not rustproofed my last 5 or 6 cars. Three of them were owned between 5 and 9 years, and only one from 2003 after 6 years had a minor sign of rust on a seam.

My logic for not treating them is the advanced treatment that cars receive to prevent rust, and that many of the treatments require holes to be drilled. Drilling a perfectly good surface creates a point for rust to start.
Old 04-07-2015 | 08:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Sweeet! Congrats!!
you got new rims, show us the pics.
Old 04-08-2015 | 01:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quandry
I have not rustproofed my last 5 or 6 cars. Three of them were owned between 5 and 9 years, and only one from 2003 after 6 years had a minor sign of rust on a seam.

My logic for not treating them is the advanced treatment that cars receive to prevent rust, and that many of the treatments require holes to be drilled. Drilling a perfectly good surface creates a point for rust to start.
Good point, if I was to rustproof the car, I'd prob ask to for no drilling.
Old 04-08-2015 | 07:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by open contact
you got new rims, show us the pics.
Check out my thread in the Photo gallery.. I've just lowered it too. I've had the rims on since December. RonJon's website has pics of my car with their wheels on it .. it's not everyday I can say those kinds of things!

.. and still loving that old tech CD player
Old 05-19-2015 | 11:09 PM
Instructor

Hi everyone,

Finally got my new TLX and as promised here are the pics of the car. One thing that kinda bothers me is that I noticed there's a scratch on the steering wheel (see pic) and I can feel the scratch too. Is that normal? Also both key fobs I received have multiple scratches and dents.. Other than that, I've really liking the TLX!

Old 05-20-2015 | 01:03 AM
Instructor

Hi everyone,

Finally got my new TLX and as promised here are the pics of the car. One thing that kinda bothers me is that I noticed there's a scratch on the steering wheel (see pic) and I can feel the scratch too. Is that normal? Also both key fobs I received have multiple scratches and dents.. Other than that, I've really liking the TLX!
Congratulations, it looks really nice!

I think for the steering wheel leather, I would talk to the dealer about getting it replaced. I've looked at my remotes and while there are some scratches, it's dent free so you might see if the dealer would be willing to replace them as well.
Old 05-20-2015 | 12:38 PM
Intermediate

^^ Well, the general consensus seems to be that new cars are now pretty much galvanized and don't require any treatment for the first 3 years or so....then if you decided to keep it, yo u can start doing the oil treatment in the doors and such (which is messy as hell). I never owned a vehicle long enough but I am just going from what most car people says....But there is no clear answer so if you want the peace of mind, you can always start now but you could save yourself some money
Wow you're so smart Weather. That white car in your avatar has tons of rust, so we should follow your advice since you know a lot about it.

And yeah, if you can afford to buy a $40,000+ car like an Acura, I'm sure we are interested in saving money.
Old 05-20-2015 | 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enchantedsky
Wow you're so smart Weather. That white car in your avatar has tons of rust, so we should follow your advice since you know a lot about it.

And yeah, if you can afford to buy a $40,000+ car like an Acura, I'm sure we are interested in saving money.
^^^^ What?

I can't tell if wink or serious.

btw, buying Acura usually equals saving money (Lexus too)....BMW/Audi maybe not so much in the long run.

for my 2 cents, I have never had any rust treatment applied to my New England cars and I have never had a spot of rust on any of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by quantum7:
ITdude (05-21-2015), weather (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015 | 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by quantum7
^^^^ What?

I can't tell if wink or serious.

btw, buying Acura usually equals saving money (Lexus too)....BMW/Audi maybe not so much in the long run.

for my 2 cents, I have never had any rust treatment applied to my New England cars and I have never had a spot of rust on any of them.
He's got this thing for our good friend weather, for some reason. I guess he missed the part where weather bought a sweet IS350 F-Sport Oh well.
The following users liked this post:
weather (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015 | 08:02 PM
Instructor

So I had to bring my car back to the dealer today for multiple issues. First was the scratch on the steering wheel, the scuffs and dents on both key fobs, a diagnostic code from Acuralink re: electric parking brake not operating properly and one of my tires was at 190kpa while others are around 240+kpa..

Spoke with service rep and service manager and they are going to fix the steering wheel, order new key fobs and look into the parking brake error code. They also said there was a puncture on the tire and it can't be fixed so a new tire is required. They were initially going to charge me $250+ for it but I spoke to the service manager and explained to him how unreal it is for a new car with this many problems and questioned whether the car is new or a demo. The car had some dirt mark inside as well when I picked it up and the cup holder look like that was a stain but it wasn't sticky or anything so maybe it's just how the plastic is.

So now I'm waiting to get my car back... kinda bumped out since I literally picked it up yesterday evening and it's back into the shop this morning...
Old 05-20-2015 | 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

enchanted sky...I am not really sure what I said or did to you that really made you so annoyed by my posts but whatever I did, I sincerely apologize. I would like us to put this thing behind and just carry on as contributors to Acurazine.

I am not expecting that everyone like everyone on this site but for the sake of other members, I usually just don't instigate confrontation with people I am not compatible with and if you don't like me, or my posts, that is totally fine but just ignore my posts.

In a non confrontational manner....the picture in my avatar was simply a joke and not my car at all. I am stating just in case you weren't aware of the story behind my chevette

So what do you say? Can we call it a truce and shake hands?
Stew4HD (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015 | 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

enchanted sky...I am not really sure what I said or did to you that really made you so annoyed by my posts but whatever I did, I sincerely apologize. I would like us to put this thing behind and just carry on as contributors to Acurazine.

I am not expecting that everyone like everyone on this site but for the sake of other members, I usually just don't instigate confrontation with people I am not compatible with and if you don't like me, or my posts, that is totally fine but just ignore my posts.

In a non confrontational manner....the picture in my avatar was simply a joke and not my car at all. I am stating just in case you weren't aware of the story behind my chevette

So what do you say? Can we call it a truce and shake hands?
Weather, you're to be commended on your character and taking the high road but in my opinion, you don't owe anyone an apology here at all. Anyone with half a brain could read your posts and make the determination that you're always one of the nice guys on AcuraZine.
The following 3 users liked this post by a35tl:
ITdude (05-21-2015), Stew4HD (05-21-2015), weather (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015 | 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I appreciate your kind words and I try to be helpful and keeping people smiling here. That being said, I am aware that I joke a lot and maybe my humor could be offensive to some so I am giving enchantedsky the benefit of the doubt....but thanks

Last edited by weather; 05-20-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Stew4HD (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015 | 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by a32tl
Weather, you're to be commended on your character and taking the high road but in my opinion, you don't owe anyone an apology here at all. Anyone with half a brain could read your posts and make the determination that you're always one of the nice guys on AcuraZine.
I agree! Weather is to be commended for taking the high road. I don't think he should have apologized for the actions of another.

Cheers Weather! A friend to Azine!
weather (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015 | 09:18 AM
Instructor

So I had to bring my car back to the dealer today for multiple issues. First was the scratch on the steering wheel, the scuffs and dents on both key fobs, a diagnostic code from Acuralink re: electric parking brake not operating properly and one of my tires was at 190kpa while others are around 240+kpa..

Spoke with service rep and service manager and they are going to fix the steering wheel, order new key fobs and look into the parking brake error code. They also said there was a puncture on the tire and it can't be fixed so a new tire is required. They were initially going to charge me $250+ for it but I spoke to the service manager and explained to him how unreal it is for a new car with this many problems and questioned whether the car is new or a demo. The car had some dirt mark inside as well when I picked it up and the cup holder look like that was a stain but it wasn't sticky or anything so maybe it's just how the plastic is.

So now I'm waiting to get my car back... kinda bumped out since I literally picked it up yesterday evening and it's back into the shop this morning...
That sucks. Hope it all goes well for you.
When i purchased mine, i made sure to do a walk-around (inside & outside) before signing papers and after signing papers. I also been reading some of these forum posts and keeping up with issues/recalls. Seemed like most the issues have been coming from models built before November 2014. That was key for me so i made sure the dealership sold me one manufactured after November. Almost 1 month in and haven't had any issues yet (fingers crossed).
Stew4HD (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015 | 11:43 AM
10th Gear

Deciding on the TLX.. so confused

Re the rust issue: We have owned six Acuras and only the first, a 1989 Legend, showed any rust. The rust really had spread fairly extensively by the end of the fifteen years we owned the car. I don't know how much this was due to the inherent susceptibility of the Legend to rust and how much it was due to the unfortunate fact that the car was badly rear-ended twice in about the fifth year of our ownership. Its was probably due mostly to the limitations of the repair work. Our 1994 Integra was rust free when sold in 2004. Our 2000 TL at 96,000 miles is still rust free, still with us as a daily driver, and still a delight to drive. Our 2004 TL showed no rust in three years, and our 2007 TL that we just traded on our new TLX has been rust free. None of these cars had a rust prevention treatment and all of them, except of course for the new TLX, have been exposed several times a year to snow/salt driving conditions.

A separate note that perhaps doesn't belong in this post: How do posters append the vehicles they currently/previous have owned. Some posters have this information, others do not. Does it have to be entered during each post or is there a setting/whatever that record this and enters it automatically during a post?
Old 05-21-2015 | 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Barheidt
A separate note that perhaps doesn't belong in this post: How do posters append the vehicles they currently/previous have owned. Some posters have this information, others do not. Does it have to be entered during each post or is there a setting/whatever that record this and enters it automatically during a post?
Setting, Edit Signature, enter details, and Save Signature. It is appended automatically to your notes.
Barheidt (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015 | 03:42 PM
10th Gear

Deciding on the TLX.. so confused

Quandry

"Setting, Edit Signature, enter details, and Save Signature. It is appended automatically to your notes."

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I will have to serve my initial 15 days and make at least five posts since registering before I can "edit my signature." I've been a follower of this website for a long time, but only began my posts since finding myself in the position (with first new Acura in eight years) to report on initial experience with a TLX Sh-AWD.
Old 05-21-2015 | 09:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I agree! Weather is to be commended for taking the high road. I don't think he should have apologized for the actions of another.

Cheers Weather! A friend to Azine!
I second your praise of Weather. Although I am not very active on this forum, I have been following this forum for a while and always look forward to reading Weather's gracious comments.

I think some members need to lighten up. We are all just here to gain knowledge and share information.
The following 2 users liked this post by ITdude:
Stew4HD (05-22-2015), weather (05-22-2015)
Old 05-21-2015 | 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ITdude
We are all just here to gain knowledge and share information.
But that is your blind spot. Some posters are not here to gain knowledge and share information. It is just not immediately obvious.
Stew4HD (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015 | 06:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ITdude
I second your praise of Weather. Although I am not very active on this forum, I have been following this forum for a while and always look forward to reading Weather's gracious comments.

I think some members need to lighten up. We are all just here to gain knowledge and share information.
In the years I have known Weather, he seems to find that proverbial high road. That is why I was surprised to see the same guy personally attacking him, again.

There are a few that come here only to stir the pot. Those guys just love me!
weather (05-22-2015)