Changes with 2017 TLX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Changes with 2017 TLX??

After quickly looking through the various recent official postings from EE4Life, I cannot find any significant changes for the 2017 TLX. It seems there will still be (at least in the U.S.) the exact same model line-up; no "AcuraWatch" standard on all models; no changes I can see to the Infotainment system.
If this is true; any thoughts that this would imply an early spring of 2017 roll-out for the new 2018 with more significant changes????
Old 07-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I see no one has replied to your thread so let me be the first.....You are correct. No changes for the 2017 except a few new colors available. No one knows 100% sure when Acura will release the 2018 but most agree that it is quite likely that the TLX MMC will be in the spring of the 2017 as a 2018 MY vehicle with the new grill, visible dual exhausts and a few other goodies.

Pure speculation of course but what else would we do on these forums without rants and speculations (lol)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Incredibly stupid of Acura!! Really wanted a TLX with Acurawatch & no jerky ZF transmission. Looks like I'll try to get a deal on a 2016 Honda Accord Touring while they're still around. Incredibly disappointed with Acura.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
The transmission was never going to change for MY2017. There was just no reason to do so with the MMC right around the corner. Plus the probable replacement - the 10AT - might not be quite ready yet. Plus I'm sure that Acura has some sort of contractural agreement with ZF to use the 9AT in a certain number of cars and or for a certain number of model years.

Also - I think making constant incremental changes is a bad thing. Yes Acura does it - every brand does it - but keeping things steady for 3 model years allows for a much bigger impact when updates do come. Acura kind of had no choice but to drop the 9AT and new SHAWD into the 2016 MDX - but wouldn't the 2017 MDX be THAT much more interesting if all of that stuff was coming at once? Look at the impact and notice that the 2016 ILX and RDX got after 3 years of minimal changes. Or the 2015 CRV. Or the 2016 Accord. Also look at how sales of the 2016 MDX have been not that good. Look at how much criticism the 9th gen Civic got for constantly having updates.

Compare that to Hyundai or Kia constantly updating their products. I never know what's happening with them. Cadillac has done similar things with the ATS and CTS to try and drive interest in them - but constantly doing stuff means more noise and more things getting lost in the shuffle.

If you can wait - if sales are OK - then it's better to wait. Now when the 2018 TLX hits, hopefully in early 2017, the interest will be much greater because more stuff comes along and there is more new stuff to talk about.

Also the TLX was caught a bit here - how can Acura update it without updating the looks to match the new aesthetic?? Or the transmission? Or the infotainment? What have people complained about the most with the TLX? It's better to do those things all at once if you can and the timing for the development of new technologies makes it better to wait. If Acura is able to bring a 2018 TLX with a better tranny, better/different infotainment, and more focus on performance then waiting a year won't matter all that much.

And - by the sound of things - Honda is still going to get your money. Yes that's part of the problem - but is cramming CarPlay into the TLX going to get an A4 or C-class cross shopper onto an Acura lot? I don't think so.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iutodd
The transmission was never going to change for MY2017. There was just no reason to do so with the MMC right around the corner. Plus the probable replacement - the 10AT - might not be quite ready yet. Plus I'm sure that Acura has some sort of contractural agreement with ZF to use the 9AT in a certain number of cars and or for a certain number of model years.

Also - I think making constant incremental changes is a bad thing. Yes Acura does it - every brand does it - but keeping things steady for 3 model years allows for a much bigger impact when updates do come. Acura kind of had no choice but to drop the 9AT and new SHAWD into the 2016 MDX - but wouldn't the 2017 MDX be THAT much more interesting if all of that stuff was coming at once? Look at the impact and notice that the 2016 ILX and RDX got after 3 years of minimal changes. Or the 2015 CRV. Or the 2016 Accord. Also look at how sales of the 2016 MDX have been not that good. Look at how much criticism the 9th gen Civic got for constantly having updates.

Compare that to Hyundai or Kia constantly updating their products. I never know what's happening with them. Cadillac has done similar things with the ATS and CTS to try and drive interest in them - but constantly doing stuff means more noise and more things getting lost in the shuffle.

If you can wait - if sales are OK - then it's better to wait. Now when the 2018 TLX hits, hopefully in early 2017, the interest will be much greater because more stuff comes along and there is more new stuff to talk about.

Also the TLX was caught a bit here - how can Acura update it without updating the looks to match the new aesthetic?? Or the transmission? Or the infotainment? What have people complained about the most with the TLX? It's better to do those things all at once if you can and the timing for the development of new technologies makes it better to wait. If Acura is able to bring a 2018 TLX with a better tranny, better/different infotainment, and more focus on performance then waiting a year won't matter all that much.

And - by the sound of things - Honda is still going to get your money. Yes that's part of the problem - but is cramming CarPlay into the TLX going to get an A4 or C-class cross shopper onto an Acura lot? I don't think so.
Disappointed in Acura, so will actively look this weekend to get a deal on a 2016 Accord Touring. I will be starting a very long commute soon - about 3.5 hours roundtrip mostly on highways, probably putting about ~3k miles a month on the car for commuting alone. Having LKAS and ACC will allow me to see my family every day. I really don't want to spend $45k on a TLX Advance on a car I will put so many miles on. Android Auto is a plus but not required like LKAS and ACC. TLX Tech and Accord Touring are nearly a wash in cost. Would have preferred the TLX but having ACC for that commute makes up for everything the Acura does better. Very disappointed Acura didn't but ACC on the 4 cyl Tech.

Why Honda? No other affordable vehicle manufacturer has the LKAS and ACC nearly as good. Sure, Tesla & some of the big 3 can be better but they are a lot more expensive to purchase, run, and maintain.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:34 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Incredibly stupid of Acura!! Really wanted a TLX with Acurawatch & no jerky ZF transmission. Looks like I'll try to get a deal on a 2016 Honda Accord Touring while they're still around. Incredibly disappointed with Acura.
Did you drive a 2016? The transmission was updated on 2016 models.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
As best as anyone can tell, the transmission issues were only seen in early 2015 production runs. Later 2015 and 2016 models don't have any issues.

My SH-AWD was built in Sept 2014 and had the transmission replaced. The replacement is smooth shifting with no issues.

The TSB was updated to provide officially now for replacements if required for early builds.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I had a loaner 2015 TLX SHAWD Tech for a few days. At the end of my commute is a 5 min drive in an office park with speed limit of 20mph. On that drive the TLX would jerk and lurch - probably shifting between 2 and 3 gears. It really soured me on getting a V6 TLX with ZF. Since it was a loaner it might have been an early one - I'm not sure.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:12 AM
Racer

Another issue with the V6 is the cost and fuel economy - I'll be driving a lot for commuting. Both the Accord Touring and TLX 4 cyl Tech are mid $30k sedans with decent discounts on 2016 models.

TLX only offers ACC on Advance package. That is a much more expensive mid $40k sedan. The SHAWD I'm sure is fun to drive but would not help much on my commute and have much worse fuel economy on premium. The 4cyl TLX would have been perfect on my commute if it had ACC. Most of it is a highway with traffic but rarely dipping below 50mph, so ACC is a must.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Staying the course allows acura to appear problem free. We all know they are not. If mosts systems are not significantly overhauled in 2018 I am done with Acura. Sold as luxury class there are just too many qwerks keeping it from being/feeling luxury class. Most significantly I think it is STUPID for Acura to not offer SH-AWD and all the bells/whistles on the DCT model. Let consumers decide. I think they would be surprised.

Originally Posted by iutodd

Old 07-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Racer

That's not true. Issues have been significantly minimized. Biggest mistake Acura made was in hiding how the transmissions are different.

Originally Posted by neil0311
As best as anyone can tell, the transmission issues were only seen in early 2015 production runs. Later 2015 and 2016 models don't have any issues.

My SH-AWD was built in Sept 2014 and had the transmission replaced. The replacement is smooth shifting with no issues.

The TSB was updated to provide officially now for replacements if required for early builds.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
That's not true. Issues have been significantly minimized. Biggest mistake Acura made was in hiding how the transmissions are different.
Don't tell me it's not true. I own a TLX with a replaced transmission. I know what the car drove like before replacement and what it drives like now.

The transmission issues are fixed. I have never had a single rough shift since replacement.

Do you own a 2015 with a replaced transmission? What's not fixed?

Last edited by neil0311; 07-09-2016 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Staying the course allows acura to appear problem free. We all know they are not. If mosts systems are not significantly overhauled in 2018 I am done with Acura. Sold as luxury class there are just too many qwerks keeping it from being/feeling luxury class. Most significantly I think it is STUPID for Acura to not offer SH-AWD and all the bells/whistles on the DCT model. Let consumers decide. I think they would be surprised.
I have no doubt that for the 2018 model the Acura Watch suite including ACC will be available on the 2.4 model. That being said, i have more than enough systems on my 2016 Tech to keep us safe. I would enjoy having ACC, but honestly, a little flick of the right thumb on the accelerate or decelerate buttons of the cruise to make minor adjustments works just fine and leaves me in control. When I switched from my 3.5 to my current car, I seriously considered the new Accord 2.4 Touring, an excellent car, but as a leaser with my 2% Acura loyalty reduction, it just wasn't worth giving up the more premium car. Extra power, PAWS, 8 DCT, Sound System, Interior, and cost were my deciding factors that trumped Apple Car play, ACC, CMB, and RDM. Of course, this decision is all about personal priorities. As for giving up my SH-AWD, I really haven't missed it with the PAWS. It still gives me that planted feeling while cornering.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
Don't tell me it's not true. I own a TLX with a replaced transmission. I know what the car drove like before replacement and what it drives like now.

The transmission issues are fixed. I have never had a single rough shift since replacement.

Do you own a 2015 with a replaced transmission? What's not fixed?
Does it still lag in downshifts or did that get fixed too? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Does it still lag in downshifts or did that get fixed too? Thanks!
The 2016 sevice loaner I had down shifted quicker from 9 to4 than my early build 2015. I think this primarily because the updated transmission will skip gears when down shifting. My 2015 does not. It has to down shift through every gear when going from 9 to 4 so it takes 3 seconds or so. I have learned to plan ahead when I now I need to down shift.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Acura appears to have replaced the crappy Goodyear and Bridgestone tires with Michelins for 2017. On the TSX build site at Acura.com, the pictures show Michelin tires for both 17 and 18 inch wheels.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
It's about time if they truly did go back to Michelin.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree...bout time! Are they finally listening?!?! Michelin tires (check), visible dual exhaust (check), removal of the shield [not that it bothered me] (check) .... maybe there is hope after all
Old 07-17-2016, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a fan of Apple Carplay. I was waiting for a 2017 w/ Carplay. Doesn't look like it's going to happen. I might look elsewhere, as Honda has it in the Accord and Civic. Perhaps an Accord Touring might be in my future.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:43 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by photog72
I'm a fan of Apple Carplay. I was waiting for a 2017 w/ Carplay. Doesn't look like it's going to happen. I might look elsewhere, as Honda has it in the Accord and Civic. Perhaps an Accord Touring might be in my future.
Acura continuing to shoot itself in the foot. The Accord Touring looks excellent.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Kick ass profile photo.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Racer

Ive seen the new red in the wild. Its very nice.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:30 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
You've seen a 2017 TLX San Marino Red on the street? I didn't even know they were at the dealers yet. I have yet to see any TLX in Red on the street since day one. I've only seen a few on the dealer lot.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
from cars.com: Frank Leta Acura Red TLX (only 4 pictures of the car)

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2373/overview/

from autotrader.com Baierl Acura (17 pictures)

Cars for Sale: New 2017 Acura TLX in V6 SH-AWD w/ Technology Pkg, Wexford PA: 15090 Details - Sedan - Autotrader
Old 08-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Nice pics on autotrader, but that is the i4 not the V6....no SH-AWD
Old 08-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where's Apple CarPlay?

Originally Posted by photog72
Yes, that is something I would have thought Acura could kind of sneak in. Very odd it is in the lower model Honda Accord, but not the TLX. Systems look virtually identical otherwise.

The list here:

CarPlay - Available Models - Apple

keeps getting bigger. Apparently is on the NSX. Navigation is a bit weak on the Acrua, this would have helped the situation.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Noticed this on my way in for service this morning.
Attached Thumbnails Changes with 2017 TLX??-img_9706.jpg   Changes with 2017 TLX??-img_9707.jpg   Changes with 2017 TLX??-img_9705.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ggesq (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Same red as my 2000 TL. Wish it had been there two years ago.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
Very sharp! I wish those diamond cut wheels came standard on V6 models. They are such an improvement over the stock rims.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:14 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
WOW! Looks so good in red and those rims just complete the look.

I really hate that they only come out with this color every 4+ years. So dumb.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Red V6 Advance with stock rims at Karen Radley Acura VW

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8988/overview/