Cars are getting to complicated

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016 | 09:16 AM
Instructor

Cars are getting to complicated

This will be the 3rd time I take the TLX in for the same problem. The display says emissions warning and electric parking brake problem. There is not a problem with the brake but the dash is telling me to park the car. Anyway, the first time dealer said it was a problem with the software update not loading right. wrong. Second time dealer said the parking brake warning was because of a weak battery and emissions was a fuel filler neck problem. Put in new battery and a filler neck part. Nope. Same warnings have reappeared. The car runs and drives fine and I really do like it. I just think cars these day have too much "tech" and too many things can trigger warnings. I bet they never figure mine out. Now car companies are wanting to build autonomous cars. Oh boy.

Last edited by smoooov; 02-15-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2016 | 09:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

unfortunately the more electronics the more problems.
Old 02-15-2016 | 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Yup. Cars are now basically motorized computers on wheels.

Copyrighted/DRM software also limits shade-tree/home-garage enthusiasm of repair/mods for cars.

I suspect OEM will still make enthusiast cars (Miata, BRZ, etc.) that are not computer on wheels. Luxury cars like the TLX will definitely keep up with competition on these things
Old 02-15-2016 | 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

lemon law
Old 02-15-2016 | 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

We have redundant ECU's and nothing can ever go wrong, go wrong, go wrong. Dave, what are you doing Dave?
The following users liked this post:
cu2wagon (02-27-2016)
Old 02-15-2016 | 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-16-2016 | 08:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by smoooov
This will be the 3rd time I take the TLX in for the same problem. The display says emissions warning and electric parking brake problem. There is not a problem with the brake but the dash is telling me to park the car. Anyway, the first time dealer said it was a problem with the software update not loading right. wrong. Second time dealer said the parking brake warning was because of a weak battery and emissions was a fuel filler neck problem. Put in new battery and a filler neck part. Nope. Same warnings have reappeared. The car runs and drives fine and I really do like it. I just think cars these day have too much "tech" and too many things can trigger warnings. I bet they never figure mine out. Now car companies are wanting to build autonomous cars. Oh boy.
You are not alone. My car has been in twice for this exact same problem! The dash says "Electric Parking Brake Problem" and "Emission System Problem".

The first time they said that it must have been a computer glitch because they could find no problem. They cleared the codes and sent me on my way. About 3 weeks later, it happened again. This time they told me there was a software update for the emissions system.

However, the receipt shows that TSB 15-024 was applied.... But that TSB is only for the 4 cylinder, mine is a V6 SH-AWD. Is it even possible that this update was put on my car? Or is the dealer simply making things up?

It's been a week now, still working ok so far.
Old 02-16-2016 | 09:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mojo_79
You are not alone. My car has been in twice for this exact same problem! The dash says "Electric Parking Brake Problem" and "Emission System Problem".

The first time they said that it must have been a computer glitch because they could find no problem. They cleared the codes and sent me on my way. About 3 weeks later, it happened again. This time they told me there was a software update for the emissions system.

However, the receipt shows that TSB 15-024 was applied.... But that TSB is only for the 4 cylinder, mine is a V6 SH-AWD. Is it even possible that this update was put on my car? Or is the dealer simply making things up?

It's been a week now, still working ok so far.
Yep. First time they redownloaded the software update for the back up camera and cleared the codes and 2 weeks later they came back. After this last time they cleared codes but they have come back on in about 2 weeks. Maybe it's an early production problem or something. Anyway 3rd times a charm maybe. I bet the warnings return on yours as well. I didn't have a problem until they did the software update so I'm thinking something with that isn't right.

Last edited by smoooov; 02-16-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2016 | 02:03 PM
Intermediate

I also had this problem back in November. Brought it in to the dealer and said it was probably a software issue and told me that doing an update would fix it. The warnings came back on after a few days later so I brought it back in. This time they did a system reset. Came back a week after and then just disappeared on the next start. It hasn't occurred for me since.
Old 02-16-2016 | 02:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xterminator
I also had this problem back in November. Brought it in to the dealer and said it was probably a software issue and told me that doing an update would fix it. The warnings came back on after a few days later so I brought it back in. This time they did a system reset. Came back a week after and then just disappeared on the next start. It hasn't occurred for me since.
I'll ask the dealer about the system reset when I take it in this week. Thanks
Old 02-16-2016 | 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Smoooov, I'm with you, man. I miss the simpler days of cars... And I don't even mean from that long ago. Going back 15 years and cars were still a joy to work on.

Fixing or diagnosing mechanical issues generally isn't all that bad. Fixing or diagnosing electronic issues is a nightmare.
Old 02-16-2016 | 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Smoooov, I'm with you, man. I miss the simpler days of cars... And I don't even mean from that long ago. Going back 15 years and cars were still a joy to work on.

Fixing or diagnosing mechanical issues generally isn't all that bad. Fixing or diagnosing electronic issues is a nightmare.
Not to mention OEM's claiming copyright and DRM on software and if you try to tamper with it....good luck in court/getting warranty service.

The amount of software is going to be very complex and will likely be difficult/complex interface and will probably need proprietary access system too so not any old joe mechanic can work on it....
Old 02-16-2016 | 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Cars are no longer a driving machine with some neat features but computers with 4 wheels! It is sad that we measure luxury with technology....To an extent, it makes sense and I am not saying that some advancements weren't necessary (like cruise control etc...) but this is getting ridiculous!

What is next, gas emission detection for your seat?! I just want to fart without being detected, now cars will blow my cover!

I wish we could go back to simpler days....I was just born too late I guess.
The following users liked this post:
Monte TLS,MAX (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016 | 08:23 AM
Advanced

I think I jinxed myself. After posting about this issue yesterday, both lights are back on for the 3rd time. Car is at the dealer now.

It's one problem after another with this car.
Old 02-17-2016 | 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Did you contact Dell or Microsoft? (lol) - I shouldn't make fun of the situation but these darn computers and technology is killing us!
Old 02-19-2016 | 02:57 PM
Instructor

Well I took the car in and the service dept. called the factory techs. They did some tests and determined the fuel evaporator canister needed replacement so I have a 4 cylinder tlx loaner until tuesday because they need to order the part. They did the system reset at my suggestion for the parking brake problem and are hoping that fixes that. So I get to drive a 2016 4 cylinder around for a few days. I can tell the difference in power and feel from the front end being lighter. The DCT tranny seems to be smoother and more responsive than my 9 speed. Not bad.
Old 02-20-2016 | 03:18 PM
Advanced

Well I took the car in and the service dept. called the factory techs. They did some tests and determined the fuel evaporator canister needed replacement so I have a 4 cylinder tlx loaner until tuesday because they need to order the part. They did the system reset at my suggestion for the parking brake problem and are hoping that fixes that. So I get to drive a 2016 4 cylinder around for a few days. I can tell the difference in power and feel from the front end being lighter. The DCT tranny seems to be smoother and more responsive than my 9 speed. Not bad.
It's not very reassuring that our cars are having the same exact problem, but are having different parts replaced. My dealer says that Acura Tech Line told them to replace one of the catalytic converters, so they did. Let's see how long the lights stay off this time.
Old 02-20-2016 | 11:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Smoooov, I'm with you, man. I miss the simpler days of cars... Going back 15 years and cars were still a joy to work on...
Man, I'll bet that was one sweet Corolla you had...

Old 02-21-2016 | 06:46 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

The more gadgets and options they put in cars, the more that can go wrong with them...
Old 02-21-2016 | 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

It's not very reassuring that our cars are having the same exact problem, but are having different parts replaced. My dealer says that Acura Tech Line told them to replace one of the catalytic converters, so they did. Let's see how long the lights stay off this time.
The big problem is the mechanics are no longer skilled in diagnoses of problems. They are locked into a computer driven decision tree that may or may not hit the problem the first time.

Went in with a problem & told them it was a sticking fuel injector in bank #2. Over a thousand $ of warranty parts later they swapped out all the injectors in bank #2. Shazam problem solved.

Asked why they did not just replace the bad injector & they said they had to replace the whole bank under the manufactures policy.

Think about that if you go in on your own dime.
Old 02-21-2016 | 01:49 PM
Racer

It's a double edged sword. Electronics can improve fuel economy and provide drive by wire systems, and can provide differences in the driving experience such as what Acura provides with IDS. Systems that help with lane drifting and collision avoidance are becoming more common as in the TLX. Voice recognition and enhanced entertainment and navigation systems are more common.

The flip side to all of this technology is that "shade tree mechanics" can no longer work on these vehicles the way they could 50 years ago. To me and many others who purchase a $45,000 retail vehicle, I'm not looking to work on my car. I have a warranty, and if I still own the vehicle when it expires, then I'll pay for someone with the experience and systems to address problems.

What's concerning is that the current issues with my TLX are not technology related. The transmission shifting roughly or the vibrations at high speed aren't electronic issues. Those are mechanical issues.
Old 02-22-2016 | 10:10 AM
Instructor

Hmmmm. Well we'll see.
Old 02-22-2016 | 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neil0311
What's concerning is that the current issues with my TLX are not technology related. The transmission shifting roughly or the vibrations at high speed aren't electronic issues. Those are mechanical issues.
I would not write off software causing this issue. Shifting most is software controlled in modern AT's through a Transmission Control Module (small computer) that communicates with the main ECU.

Mechanical/pressure based shifting is basically a fail safe operation on modern units. The shifter is just a switch & not mechanically connected to the transmission.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-22-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2016 | 03:10 PM
Instructor

I second the thought that the problem is poor software performance. My car will shift nicely if I just have the "correct" acceleration. Either very gradual so the RPM stays under 1500-2000 for the shifts or somewhat aggressive so that the RPM is above 2500 for the shifts. In-between, where I mostly find myself, the shift is jerky.

I would think if the problem were mechanical the jerk would not be RPM sensitive. Or at least if there is a sweet spot the software could insure that the shift happened there.
Old 02-22-2016 | 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

They have ZF8 units on 200 mph exotics, German premiums & luxury cars. Its probably the best AT in the world. Its a total mystery to me why Honda felt the need to add more ratios requiring reinventing the software for a passenger car.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-22-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2016 | 10:16 AM
Instructor

Well dealer put in the new evaporator canister and a new fuel pump but still getting the emissions warning. So now acura says to replace the entire fuel tank assembly. Says that should do it. Whatever.
Old 02-25-2016 | 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

My TLX, and MDX Advances are the first Japanese cars I have ever gotten the extended warranties on.

Years ago, people got these warranties because they were afraid of major mechanical failures. In my case, and as is common for more, and more people nowadays, I wasn't at all concerned with the powertrain beyond the basic warranty. I purchased the warranties to cover the smart cruise control, radar systems, steering systems, auto braking, DVD screens, etc, etc.

Unfortunately it seems this is the way most cars are headed, and I don't see them getting any less complex any time soon.

P.S. I finally had the latest transmission software patch applied to my car during my last service several weeks ago. My tranny was shifting fine, but it was part of the service action regarding shifts into neutral. I am glad I got the software update.

My transmission was shifting fine, but it would occasionally muff the 2-3 shift, and my attention would be drawn to the transmission. Since the latest update, the shifts have been perfect, and I am never drawn to pay attention to the shifting which is how an A/T should be. The biggest improvement was in downshifts on the highway. That delay used to be my biggest complaint.
Old 02-27-2016 | 12:35 PM
Racer

Well dealer put in the new evaporator canister and a new fuel pump but still getting the emissions warning. So now acura says to replace the entire fuel tank assembly. Says that should do it. Whatever.
Are you in lemon law range. I would use if if your met the requirements.
Old 03-02-2016 | 11:12 AM
Instructor

Well just to update. Picked up car today. Turns out the hole for the fuel pump was elongated and that led to evaporation leak. They replaced the fuel tank. Hope that does it.

In other news, some guy in an audi pulled up next to me on my right at the light thinking he was going to jump in front of me before his lane ended and he would have to merge to the left. He only had about 50 yards or so. Well he gave it some gas but I had my TLX in sport so I accelerated quickly and easily. He quickly let off and pulled in behind me and fell back. Fool.