The BIG recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 598 Likes on 443 Posts
Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
I've heard of TLX's not developing a knock until ~101k miles (https://www.tlxforums.com/threads/ro...4/#post-336330), so quality oil with low mileage change intervals will only prolong the inevitable. I guess you've had bad experiences at dealerships, which is unfortunate, but not taking it in to be looked at is likely to bite you in the @ss later. .
Not to sound arrogant, but I have a degree in automotive technology and used to be an ASE certified flat rate technician. So, that has a lot to do with why I do my own work and avoid dealers, who have a self serving focus on making money.

You do make a good point as far as problems arising after 100k. I just find it far fetched that a machining issue would take that long to show up. I build and rebuild j series motors as a hobby, so I am familiar with the material used in stock bearings. When I build my motors I use either ACL race or King XP bearings. Which are a superior tri-metal material.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 619rcr
Not to sound arrogant, but I have a degree in automotive technology and used to be an ASE certified flat rate technician. So, that has a lot to do with why I do my own work and avoid dealers, who have a self serving focus on making money.

You do make a good point as far as problems arising after 100k. I just find it far fetched that a machining issue would take that long to show up. I build and rebuild j series motors as a hobby, so I am familiar with the material used in stock bearings. When I build my motors I use either ACL race or King XP bearings. Which are a superior tri-metal material.
Wonderful, you do your own work! It seems safe to presume you'd never make the type of mistake a dealer's ASE certified technician might make. While I see your point that they are interested in making money, if customers continually have a negative, swindling experience I would suspect it would work against their goal of making money and if severe enough may result in Acura, or others, coming down on them.

That said, let's say the machining issue did take that long to arise. Now that it's raised its ugly head, would there be the potential for more internals to require repair/replacement which may otherwise not have been needed had the bearing wear been caught and addressed earlier? It would seem based on the TSB guidance that that may be the case due to the different components which must be inspected and repairs are dependent on what they find as a result of those inspections.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:04 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Got my Acura "parts are now available, call your dealer" letter. Both DFW dealers gave me the - "we actually dont have parts on hand" response. Pretty sure priority going to those cars on the lot that cannot be sold until this is fixed
Old 04-03-2024, 01:15 PM
Instructor

You should call Acura Client Services to confirm whatever the case may be. Acura dealers are required to prioritize customer vehicles over their own inventory. If they are not, maybe Acura Client Services can help iron things out so that you get this recall completed.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:37 PM

You should call Acura Client Services to confirm whatever the case may be. Acura dealers are required to prioritize customer vehicles over their own inventory. If they are not, maybe Acura Client Services can help iron things out so that you get this recall completed.
They were not much help and couldn't tell me whether or not dealers had parts
Old 04-08-2024, 02:21 PM
2015 TLX V6 Tech

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I called John Eagle Acura in west Houston on 4/1 and they told me they did not have adequate parts. They said if the car started making noise to call them and bring it in. So, it sounds like they have some parts and are prioritizing cars in danger of seizing. I'm ok with that. 2015 TLX V6 Tech, original owner, I love my car. When they have adequate parts we will get a second letter.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:13 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
My wife got an e-mail from Radley Acura this morning and she just made an appointment for the end of this month. They are going to be giving her a loaner "for a couple days" (her words). 2015 TLX V-6 SH-AWD Advance.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
My wife got an e-mail from Radley Acura this morning and she just made an appointment for the end of this month. They are going to be giving her a loaner "for a couple days" (her words). 2015 TLX V-6 SH-AWD Advance.
That's good atleast. Radley was the one who told me they didn't have the parts yet and no instructions on how to do it, yet, Pohanka in Chantilly had everything ready to go and was able to get my car serviced with a loaner as well. I'm glad they have the parts and instructions now..
Old 04-15-2024, 02:06 PM

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the following:

As noted above, my wife is scheduled to drop off her TLX for the recall work on April 30. Also as noted above, it's a 2015 V-6 SH-AWD Advance. It has around 65,000 or so miles on the odometer (not sure exactly, but less than 70,000). The timing belt has not been replaced.

So I suggested she ask the service advisor about what it would cost to have the timing belt replaced at the same time, under the theory that the engine is going to be pulled and presumably partly or substantially disassembled anyway. It seems like the ideal time to do the timing belt and, in theory, it ought to reduce the labor cost unless they simply go by the number of hours the book says and just add it to the total. The service advisor got back to her and quoted an estimate of $2200 to replace the timing belt and water pump (I don't have the full text of her message because it's on my wife's phone, but I could get it from her if anyone thinks it's relevant). Even recognizing that I drive a 2004 TL and the 2015 TLX is presumably more expensive to maintain overall, I thought the $2200 estimate seemed very high, especially if the work is to be done at the same time as the recall. I will also mention that I have very little confidence in the particular service advisor to whom they assigned her this time. I've dealt with her before and I intensely dislike her, to the point where I would refuse to let her handle my service appointment and I would take the car somewhere else. My wife generally agrees with disliking that advisor and is thinking about calling another advisor with whom she has dealt and whom we have both found to be very reliable.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:20 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 153 Posts
Check the TSB on the forum, the timing belt may only have to come off in certain instances. $2200 looks like no labor was deducted for being shared work. Agree SA's vary a lot in their knowledge and honesty so I'd suggest asking specifically how much was deducted for shared work, and would it be different costs depending on how extensive the teardown ends up being on the car. If the SA seems clueless then work with another one.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mvl
Check the TSB on the forum, the timing belt may only have to come off in certain instances. $2200 looks like no labor was deducted for being shared work. Agree SA's vary a lot in their knowledge and honesty so I'd suggest asking specifically how much was deducted for shared work, and would it be different costs depending on how extensive the teardown ends up being on the car. If the SA seems clueless then work with another one.
Thanks. The other service advisor, the one we've found reliable, called her back and said there is "no overlap" between the recall work and the timing belt and said there is no advantage to getting them done at the same time (other than, obviously, reducing the number of service visits). So my wife is inclined to "wait," although I may push her to explore other options for getting it done somewhere else sooner rather than later given that it is nine years old.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Check with your local Honda dealership. They usually provide the exact same service for significantly less money.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:06 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall Completed, but now....

I had my recall completed, but now I am getting a fault for the catalytic converter, and after my "Free" recall service, dealer wants over $2000 to replace one of the 2 catalytic converters. Seems strange it would fail as soon as I pick it up. Of course it also whines about the parking brake system, so the display is really annouying. Any suggestions other than shelling out $2000?
Old 04-19-2024, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by welchwarlock
I had my recall completed, but now I am getting a fault for the catalytic converter, and after my "Free" recall service, dealer wants over $2000 to replace one of the 2 catalytic converters. Seems strange it would fail as soon as I pick it up. Of course it also whines about the parking brake system, so the display is really annouying. Any suggestions other than shelling out $2000?
If all you have is a catalyst below threshold code, there is a cheap way to alter the signal being sent to the ecu by placing an extension between the cat and downstream 02 sensor. The extensions are about $5-10. The most difficult thing will be unthreading the 02 sensor and adding the extension before threading back in. This is a common trick for those running pcds. ktuner also worked on some of the older hondas / acuras. But, its much more expensive. GL
Old 04-19-2024, 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Free Recall Repair? Not if the Dealer can help it.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the following:

As noted above, my wife is scheduled to drop off her TLX for the recall work on April 30. Also as noted above, it's a 2015 V-6 SH-AWD Advance. It has around 65,000 or so miles on the odometer (not sure exactly, but less than 70,000). The timing belt has not been replaced.

So I suggested she ask the service advisor about what it would cost to have the timing belt replaced at the same time, under the theory that the engine is going to be pulled and presumably partly or substantially disassembled anyway. It seems like the ideal time to do the timing belt and, in theory, it ought to reduce the labor cost unless they simply go by the number of hours the book says and just add it to the total. The service advisor got back to her and quoted an estimate of $2200 to replace the timing belt and water pump (I don't have the full text of her message because it's on my wife's phone, but I could get it from her if anyone thinks it's relevant). Even recognizing that I drive a 2004 TL and the 2015 TLX is presumably more expensive to maintain overall, I thought the $2200 estimate seemed very high, especially if the work is to be done at the same time as the recall. I will also mention that I have very little confidence in the particular service advisor to whom they assigned her this time. I've dealt with her before and I intensely dislike her, to the point where I would refuse to let her handle my service appointment and I would take the car somewhere else. My wife generally agrees with disliking that advisor and is thinking about calling another advisor with whom she has dealt and whom we have both found to be very reliable.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

I am having a similar experience right now. My 2018 TLX 61k miles went in the shop for the Big Recall repair yesterday. Could take a few hours, or a few days. Today they called and said it's going to take until the end of next week due to crankshaft replacement. Fine, I will use the A-spec loaner until then. Then they said they noticed some "non-safety type repairs that they can do while they have the car: $600, filters, alignment, fluids." I said not necessary, I'll just take the car back next week.

Then they called again and said, "while we have the engine out, we can do the timing belt replacement much cheaper, since most of the cost is removing the engine anyway, and Acura is paying for that as part of the recall. So I figured, since they are removing the timing belt anyway, just buy a new timing belt and replace it, very simple and cheap. Nope, they have to do all the associated service as well: serpentine belt, water pump, coolant flush, spark plugs, etc.

"A timing belt replacement originally costs $3,295, but we are able to reduce it to $2,280." It seems they are all reading off the same script. I have never felt in over 18 years going to this dealership that they were trying to churn me, but today I felt it big time. This recall repair sets them up perfectly for the timing belt replacement, since most of the cars are right in that 60k-100k mileage range. I told them no on the timing belt as well. Pissed me off.

Old 04-19-2024, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by welchwarlock

I'm pretty sure when I get my car back, I'm going to start getting some strange error messages just like you. Hope you can figure out an alternative to eating the $2k.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Robs2019TLX
I miss my 2019 TLX 3.5 FWD pretty badly right now.. This 23 aspec loaner is nice but I prefer my other car to this one as this thing guzzles gas even driving it economically. My TLX 3.5 was getting 28-29MPG city and I hit 39MPG on the highway going to the beach last summer. This thing can barely break 25MPG on the hwy ugh.

Did you try putting it in "Comfort Mode"? I have the A-spec loaner too. I had it on Sport mode, but now that I'll have it for another week I'm moving it to Comfort. It's slower, but should save some gas.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 250kmiler
I am having a similar experience right now. My 2018 TLX 61k miles went in the shop for the Big Recall repair yesterday. Could take a few hours, or a few days. Today they called and said it's going to take until the end of next week due to crankshaft replacement. Fine, I will use the A-spec loaner until then. Then they said they noticed some "non-safety type repairs that they can do while they have the car: $600, filters, alignment, fluids." I said not necessary, I'll just take the car back next week.

Then they called again and said, "while we have the engine out, we can do the timing belt replacement much cheaper, since most of the cost is removing the engine anyway, and Acura is paying for that as part of the recall. So I figured, since they are removing the timing belt anyway, just buy a new timing belt and replace it, very simple and cheap. Nope, they have to do all the associated service as well: serpentine belt, water pump, coolant flush, spark plugs, etc.

"A timing belt replacement originally costs $3,295, but we are able to reduce it to $2,280." It seems they are all reading off the same script. I have never felt in over 18 years going to this dealership that they were trying to churn me, but today I felt it big time. This recall repair sets them up perfectly for the timing belt replacement, since most of the cars are right in that 60k-100k mileage range. I told them no on the timing belt as well. Pissed me off.
This just proves my point earlier. Dealers and repair shops are there to make money. Bringing your car in regardless of whether it's a free warranty repair presents the opportunity to find something to sell.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,470 Posts
"A timing belt replacement originally costs $3,295, but we are able to reduce it to $2,280."

That is ridiculous!
The below displays the 18 TLX V6 'OEM' timing belt component cost (before sales tax / shipping) WITHOUT the 19200-RDV-J01 water pump because, for some strange reason, it is listed as 'discontinued' on APW?
Though a compatible Aisin WP can be had on RA for $71 before shipping.

Now, here is the 18 TLX COMPLETE Aisin TB component kit from RA before shipping.
The same components without the fancy Acura / Honda box branding.
I'd like to see the expression on the service tech's face if you showed up with one of these and had them factor the 'reduction' into their lowered final of $2,280?

It seems they are all reading off the same script. I have never felt in over 18 years going to this dealership that they were trying to churn me, but today I felt it big time. This recall repair sets them up perfectly for the timing belt replacement, since most of the cars are right in that 60k-100k mileage range. I told them no on the timing belt as well. Pissed me off.
I'd be pissed off as well as a result of that simpleton service adviser thinking that you would be so gullible.
After 18 years of loyal returns they should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zeta

That is ridiculous!
The below displays the 18 TLX V6 'OEM' timing belt component cost (before sales tax / shipping) WITHOUT the 19200-RDV-J01 water pump because, for some strange reason, it is listed as 'discontinued' on APW?
Though a compatible Aisin WP can be had on RA for $71 before shipping.

Now, here is the 18 TLX COMPLETE Aisin TB component kit from RA before shipping.
The same components without the fancy Acura / Honda box branding.
I'd like to see the expression on the service tech's face if you showed up with one of these and had them factor the 'reduction' into their lowered final of $2,280?

I'd be pissed off as well as a result of that simpleton service adviser thinking that you would be so gullible.
After 18 years of loyal returns they should be ashamed of themselves.

This is amazing, thanks for doing that research. That's exactly what I asked, can't they just replace the timing belt since they were removing it anyway. I'm very disappointed in the dealership. Actually my original dealership of 15 years was acquired by this new one about 3 years ago, so I can't say I've been with this new one for that long. It's a shame.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (04-21-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 06:17 AM
Cruisin'

Still waiting to get my 2018 TLX back from Recall repair, it's been 9 days! I wonder if it's easier to just let me keep the A-spec loaner and let them keep mine...
Old 04-30-2024, 12:41 PM

My wife dropped off her TLX this morning for the recall work. They estimated three to five days. She asked them to do the Virginia safety inspection while it's in but to wait until no earlier than tomorrow because it's due in May and she doesn't want to get it done early (I say who cares, just get it done when it's in). She has a 2023 as a loaner but I won't have the chance to check it out until after work. She was complaining about all the controls being different from what she's used to.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:35 PM
Cruisin'

My wife dropped off her TLX this morning for the recall work. They estimated three to five days. She asked them to do the Virginia safety inspection while it's in but to wait until no earlier than tomorrow because it's due in May and she doesn't want to get it done early (I say who cares, just get it done when it's in). She has a 2023 as a loaner but I won't have the chance to check it out until after work. She was complaining about all the controls being different from what she's used to.

I'm STILL waiting for my 2018 TLX to get fixed from the Big Recall. Mine was one of the "few" that needed the entire crankshaft replaced, crazy. It went in 4/18, and today is 4/30 and still not ready. I'm just going to wait for them to call. I don't like the A-Spec loaner because the mileage is so bad.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:37 AM

The service advisor just called my wife. Hers will be ready tomorrow. It's not clear to me what exactly she's having done because she didn't write down anything he said and so her description of their call was entirely vague. About the only thing I was able to follow from her description is that it needed a new battery.

Her loaner is indeed a 2023 A-Spec, but she hasn't driven it anywhere at all other than driving home from the dealer when she dropped hers off last Tuesday. She's driven her RSX instead (part of the reason is that it has a gate opener for one place she was heading last week) and then this weekend we drove my 2004 TL, which I try to drive every weekend because I telecommute and thus I don't drive it much during the week. (Yesterday was the first time I put gas in the TL since February 10.) I did take a look inside the A-Spec. Nice car and I like the steering wheel, but I very much do not like the touchpad-style controller Acura has adopted in place of the control knob in the 2015 TLX. I don't particularly like the touchpad on my laptop (thankfully, the only time I use it is when I travel) and I like the idea of using one in a car even less.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

The service advisor just called my wife. Hers will be ready tomorrow. It's not clear to me what exactly she's having done because she didn't write down anything he said and so her description of their call was entirely vague. About the only thing I was able to follow from her description is that it needed a new battery.

Her loaner is indeed a 2023 A-Spec, but she hasn't driven it anywhere at all other than driving home from the dealer when she dropped hers off last Tuesday. She's driven her RSX instead (part of the reason is that it has a gate opener for one place she was heading last week) and then this weekend we drove my 2004 TL, which I try to drive every weekend because I telecommute and thus I don't drive it much during the week. (Yesterday was the first time I put gas in the TL since February 10.) I did take a look inside the A-Spec. Nice car and I like the steering wheel, but I very much do not like the touchpad-style controller Acura has adopted in place of the control knob in the 2015 TLX. I don't particularly like the touchpad on my laptop (thankfully, the only time I use it is when I travel) and I like the idea of using one in a car even less.

My Big Recall adventure finally ended, exactly 14 days later. After 3 calls from the dealer to try to extort additional repairs for me, they finally threw their Hail Mary the day before they were going to put the engine back together, and said my tensioner was leaking so I really have to change the timing belt. After a lot of arguing, I got them to just do the tensioner and timing belt replacement for $750.

Picked up the car at closing, and after 5 minutes of driving, two error messages started popping up, Electric Parking Brake Problem and Emissions System Problem. No one was at the Acura Service dept, so I pulled over and checked the web and found hundreds of people with the same problem, and just headed home.

Went back the next day, they found a loose solenoid hose, fixed that and everything was fine. Horrible adventure in car repairs.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:12 PM
Instructor

My Big Recall adventure finally ended, exactly 14 days later. After 3 calls from the dealer to try to extort additional repairs for me, they finally threw their Hail Mary the day before they were going to put the engine back together, and said my tensioner was leaking so I really have to change the timing belt. After a lot of arguing, I got them to just do the tensioner and timing belt replacement for $750.

Picked up the car at closing, and after 5 minutes of driving, two error messages started popping up, Electric Parking Brake Problem and Emissions System Problem. No one was at the Acura Service dept, so I pulled over and checked the web and found hundreds of people with the same problem, and just headed home.

Went back the next day, they found a loose solenoid hose, fixed that and everything was fine. Horrible adventure in car repairs.
$750 for what? Parts shouldn't run anything more than $367.94 MSRP and there shouldn't be any labor as they would have had to remove and reinstall both the tensioner and timing belt. I have access to the crankshaft removal procedures for which step 3 is to remove the timing belt drive pulley. Step 1 of removing the timing belt drive pulley is to remove the timing belt. Step 5 of removing the timing belt is to remove the belt auto-tensioner, which also requires removal of the drive belt. As you can see all of the labor should be covered by Acura as part of the crankshaft replacement. It sounds like someone in that service department is lacking in integrity and needs some higher level intervention. I would raise a complaint to Acura Client Services, Better Business Bureau, or some other consumer protection organization.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Here are the MSRPs from Honda's Dream Shop:

Old 05-06-2024, 12:56 PM
Cruisin'

$750 for what? Parts shouldn't run anything more than $367.94 MSRP and there shouldn't be any labor as they would have had to remove and reinstall both the tensioner and timing belt. I have access to the crankshaft removal procedures for which step 3 is to remove the timing belt drive pulley. Step 1 of removing the timing belt drive pulley is to remove the timing belt. Step 5 of removing the timing belt is to remove the belt auto-tensioner, which also requires removal of the drive belt. As you can see all of the labor should be covered by Acura as part of the crankshaft replacement. It sounds like someone in that service department is lacking in integrity and needs some higher level intervention. I would raise a complaint to Acura Client Services, Better Business Bureau, or some other consumer protection organization.
Exactly, I did point that out, pointed them to the parts list you guys sent here, read off the prices, (actually I thought just the tensioner and Timing belt were like $260), and she said there's 4 additional hours of labor at $189/hr. That actually was for the full timing belt replacement deal, with water pump, fluid flush and other stuff, that was way over $1,000. That's when I told them just do the minimum work that's still safe to drive, and that's how we came to the $750/tensioner and timing belt. Made no sense to me on labor, but didn't feel like arguing anymore, and at least I got the timing belt done and all the other stuff can hopefully get done without taking the engine apart.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Here are the MSRPs from Honda's Dream Shop:

OMG, , the dealership prices are the worst.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Yeah, you can find them for a lot less than MSRP elsewhere, even Acura dealerships with online store fronts.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:40 PM

So my wife just got back from picking up her car. They replaced the various connecting rod bearings that were the subject of the recall because they said that while they were not in dire shape, it was apparent it was going to have to be done. That's fine. They also replaced the battery, the engine air filter, and the pollen filter. That's all fine. (They were also supposed to do the Virginia safety inspection but forgot, so she asked them to do it today and they did.) The thing about which my wife was entirely unclear yesterday turned out to be that they recommended replacing the timing belt and water pump—exactly what I had said beforehand should be done because the car is a 2015 and the timing belt hadn't been replaced yet (the car has around 63,000 miles) but she said they told her at the time that it wasn't necessary. Looking at the invoice today, it is clear to me that they simply charged her for the labor based on the number of hours the book says it should take because they charged her for six hours of labor for the timing belt/water pump service. Had she been clearer about it yesterday, I would have told her to talk to the guy about it or to put me on the phone. So she paid $1944 to have the timing belt service done. As others have noted here, the labor should have been significantly less given that they already had it taken apart in the first place.

Frustrates the hell out of me how she garbles the message every time she talks to a mechanic. I keep telling her to write down what they say or to take notes on her iPhone or iPad, but she never does. Of course, had we argued with them the response would that Acura "is not recommending" the timing belt service as part of the recall repair. DUH!!! Of course they're not: It lets them charge more for it to help cover the hours of labor lost to the recall work. It's not worth the time and trouble to call them back and argue over an amount that's less than half a paycheck, but it still bugs the crap out of me how my wife garbles these things. The last time I let her take my TL in for me, one of the repairs was supposed to be replacing a seatbelt buckle that is under warranty (it throws a red airbag warning light when the front passenger seatbelt is buckled). I knew that's what it needed and I had arranged to have it done....then she took the car in for me and when they said that's what it needed she told them not to do it. I have to find time to get mine in for service later this month and today's outcome just ensures that she won't be the person taking it in.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Time to add my experience! Based on other posts, my situation sounds pretty unique.

Took my 2015 TLX (70k miles) in for an oil change on 4/13/24. While there, they told me my VIN was under the recall and if I wanted them to perform the recall work. While I've had zero issues with the engine, I agreed, and they gave me a loaner while they performed the recall work.

I picked my car up the following day and immediately noticed a knocking noise in the engine while it was running at higher RPMs. Fortunately, I was close to the dealer so took it right back where they had a mechanic do a ride along. Within about 5 minutes of driving with the mechanic, the engine started making a really loud knocking noise...it sounded louder than a lawn mower. I took it back to the dealer and they gave me back the loaner.

Several days later, they indicated that someone from AHM corporate was coming to the dealer to investigate. A few days later, I was told that I would be getting a short block replacement. It took about 4 weeks for that to arrive, and they did the replacement in about a day.

It was strange that the recall fix actually caused the very problem that the recall reported. I am wondering if it was the recall repair itself or if the mechanic did something wrong. The service manager claimed that even they aren't told about what happened from corporate. My transmission was replaced in 2022 as part of that recall as well (though I was having issues with it back then), and that took several weeks for them to get parts to do that replacement.

Now after reading these comments, I only wish I asked about the timing belt replacement. Then again, who knows how much longer I'll keep this car after all this.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Casey
... My transmission was replaced in 2022 as part of that recall as well (though I was having issues with it back then),....
Which transmission recall?
Old 05-21-2024, 04:15 PM
SH-AWD TECH

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Went into Acura dealership to inquire about scheduling appointment for this recall. Service advisor told me to call him next week to see if a loaner would be available. Call today & receptionist informs me there's a waitlist...200+ deep. They've only completed 41. WTF??!
Old 05-21-2024, 05:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ConradValmont
Went into Acura dealership to inquire about scheduling appointment for this recall. Service advisor told me to call him next week to see if a loaner would be available. Call today & receptionist informs me there's a waitlist...200+ deep. They've only completed 41. WTF??!
That's incredible. They told me the recall repair would take either a couple of hours or a few days at worst. Mine took 14 days (crankshaft replacement). Maybe things are worse than they expected. The good news is I got mine done. The bad news is they screwed me for $750 in additional repairs for a timing belt replacement by saying my tensioner was leaking on day 13 of the job.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:09 PM
SH-AWD TECH

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
That's incredible. They told me the recall repair would take either a couple of hours or a few days at worst. Mine took 14 days (crankshaft replacement). Maybe things are worse than they expected. The good news is I got mine done. The bad news is they screwed me for $750 in additional repairs for a timing belt replacement by saying my tensioner was leaking on day 13 of the job.
That is what I'm more concerned about. My engine has no knocking or any problems, but I also realize it could be a ticking bomb. Read too many reports of "additional issues" so they could charge or the job not being completed 100% with residual minor issues having to return to dealer.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by djtsmith007
Which transmission recall?
I apologize. It wasn't a recall. It was a "Product Update" covered under TSB 17-011 (http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-011.PDF)
Old 05-31-2024, 06:23 PM

Got mine back from Grubbs Acura today. In on Tuesday, out 3 days later with the bearings replaced. Had the standard inspection video sent, declined it all. Didn't bother me me anything else i didn't need, that i already took care of, like the 100K mile service
Old 06-09-2024, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I got a call from Park Place Acura in Plano my 2015 TLX with 140,000 miles could be brought in because they had the parts for the repair. I'm not sure I ever received any 2nd notification via mail that I could take the car in, but ... whatever. I scheduled the appt. Hopefully it goes well.
So if they find anything, is there any cost to the consumer/me? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up and don't really come on the forums anymore.

Other than the utterly crappy transmission, the fact that eats batteries (I think I'm on the 6th battery in about 9-10 years) and the multitude of software fixes and other attempts to fix its shifting when it was first released, the car has been reliable. No out-of-warranty repairs in 140,000 miles, and the only repair other than trying to fix the transmission shifting was a puddle light that went out and was fixed for free. What's funny is that if someone had told me I'd only have 140k on this car in 2015, I'd have thought I was hospitalized or something, but I don't really drive as much as I'd hoped to. I was hoping to get 200k on the car since I drove my previous car, an '04 TL for around 250k before it started giving me some troubles and I got bored with it, but I may get a new vehicle before then.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:42 PM
5th Gear

Honda Corporate has not been a great partner through this recall. When my 2016 TLX had the rod bearing failure, I told my Acura (Vandergriff - Arlington) dealership that it should be a recall (August 2023). I found too many Acura owners who all experienced the same issue right around the same mileage point. So after paying out of pocket for the service, Acura issues the recall. No surprise there.

It took a few months before I could even submit a reimbursement request. Once I was finally able to submit a request, the only form of communication I received was an email with the case number. I would call weekly for an update, and for about 2 months, the only update was that it was still in review.

I received an email that my case was approved and that they would be mailing a check in 2-3 weeks. Interesting enough, I received that check 6 days PRIOR to the email communication. And the check amount was less than what I paid for the service. It took another 3 weeks to get my case worker back on the phone to open an inquiry on why the check was less than the service paid. She told me that they cannot provide the details and it was for internal use only. So, Honda was able to calculate the reimbursement amount, somehow, but can't tell me the details or provide the parts that were covered under the recall. I have the full invoice, so if they could just tell me which parts are covered, I can reconcile the difference myself.

I'm getting no where with Honda on this Acura recall at the moment. My case worker won't provide any details other than saying, "you get what you get" and that a supervisor will tell me the same thing. So I requested that a supervisor call me back and discuss my reimbursement, but she just keeps repeating the same thing over and over again....They can't provide the details for the reimbursement. In order to escalate above her, she has to open an escalation ticket. There has to be another number or department I can call to open an inquiry. After 17 years of ownership, this last car will be the end of the line for me with Acura. I loved the Brand for almost 2 decades with no issues until my 2016 TLX. So many issues and they refuse to make me whole. I just don't understand the rationale.

Quick Reply: The BIG recall