Aspec or Advance

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Aspec or Advance

Hey everyone for those of you with the Aspec TLX what made you choose that model and not the advance? I got to make a choice next month and I’m leaning to the asvanced since it has all of the features in it but then again it might not be as sporty as the aspec. Just looking for some insight
Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
What in the advance pack do you want that the ASpec doesn't have?

Main extras that Advance has:

- Auto dimming side mirrors
- Puddle lights - welcome lighting
- 3-level heated rear outboard seats
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Remote engine start with vehicle feedback
- Surround View Camera System vs Multi-view rear camera with dynamic guidelines
- 18" wheels and tires vs 19" wheels and tires

If it's remote start and heated steering wheel, they can be added as accessories.

- Heated Steering Wheel = MSRP $500
- Remote engine start = MSRP $399

Personally, I'd choose the A-Spec over any other model mainly for the appearance package. Without it, it's just too dull looking.

The extra that the Advance has aren't that important to me either.

Last edited by AZuser; 12-26-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
It basically comes down to which means more to you, features or appearance. The Advance has all the extras but the A-Spec simply looks better. You won't go wrong with either choice. Personally, I think the A-Spec package enhances the appearance to the degree that I would be willing to sacrifice some of the Advance's features.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I wouldn't buy A-Spec for the appearance - I'm not saying the A-Spec looks bad, just that I thought the stiffer suspension and wider tires were the real reasons to get the A-Spec, not the looks? Though I do actually prefer the look of the non-A-spec chrome accents with the Lunar Silver Metallic color. I can see how not everyone would like the chrome accents though (with non-silver color choices). If I got an A-Spec, I'd choose the blue, but IMO they all do look good. 2018 TLX is a beautiful car, A-Spec or not.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
The A-spec basically has the same features that my 2015 Advance does, so I'd opt for that one. Probably throw in remote engine start as I've found it to be quite helpful especially in winter and summer.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Also you have to consider if you want Alcantara or if you want full leather if you would be ok with the red interior. I chose the non-ASpec because the red was too much and I was hesitant about the longevity of alcantara in the future with kids. And considering you spend majority of the time inside the car, you have to be happy with the interior
Old 12-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Styl1n

All those extra Are pretty cool And if it’s the same price as the aspec i may be leaning towards that. The only thing that would change my mind is the ride quality with the aspec. I know with the 18 it will be a more comfortable ride than the 19, also the suspension is different that may attract me. And in the advanced you loose the cool steering wheel from the aspec. The red leather i can live with but not the alcantara, i has it in my 2 tsx’s and the kids made a mess of it.

they should have just made a aspec advance and call it a day lol
Old 12-27-2017, 06:32 AM
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 151 Posts
Living in New York as i do would have me leaning heavily to the Advance since the 18's would in addition to a more comfortable ride provide more rubber to absorb potholes. The low profile tires are a potential problem on bad roads. Also you can get it with my favorite color-Black Copper Pearl which looks classy and is rather rare which offers a measure of exclusivity.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Judging by the Mods in your sig, I would get the A-spec, and add the options you want to it.

I have the puddle lights, etc on my advance, and they are not make or break options.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:36 AM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Judging by the Mods in your sig, I would get the A-spec, and add the options you want to it.

I have the puddle lights, etc on my advance, and they are not make or break options.
Actually that car is longgggg gone lol i kept it in my signature to remind me of my old days sigh lol. It was a beast use to leave the older M3 in the dust. I got a 15 and a 17 TLX now so the 15 I’m returning next month and I’m thinking about getting the advance since the price difference is not that much. Is there anything you like or dislike about your advanced like features?You’re in Long Island not far from me, do you go to rallye? That’s the dealership I’ve been with for the past 12 years
Old 12-28-2017, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
Actually that car is longgggg gone lol i kept it in my signature to remind me of my old days sigh lol. It was a beast use to leave the older M3 in the dust. I got a 15 and a 17 TLX now so the 15 I’m returning next month and I’m thinking about getting the advance since the price difference is not that much. Is there anything you like or dislike about your advanced like features?You’re in Long Island not far from me, do you go to rallye? That’s the dealership I’ve been with for the past 12 years
I actually like all the features on my Advance; the lights, dimming mirrors, upgraded leather, ventilated seats, smart cruise, etc. With the current weather though, I really wish it had a heated steering wheel.

If the A-spec were out at the time though, and I had to pick, I would pick an optioned up A-Spec for the tighter suspension.

Yup, bought from Danny at Rallye. Really nice sales guy, and the service experience is 1000x better than it was back when I owned by 02 TL-S. Used to hate Dealer service visits back then, but with my MDX/TLX, everything has been very pleasant.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 12-28-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
We can get the ASPEC Elite ASpec in Canada in both the 3.5 SHAWD and the 2.4. However, it gets kinda pricey, so I would lean towards the Elite (Advance), mainly because of the current value proposition and the choice of interiors (I'm not a big fan of the Red and prefer lighter interiors to the black Alcantara), but would go for white with the parchment milano leather interior. With the Elite ASpec, you still only get the alcantara or red leather interior options. As for the exterior, I prefer the ASpec overall, but actually prefer the front end of the non ASpec Elite. Whatever you pick, you will hopefully enjoy and have no regrets.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I actually like all the features on my Advance; the lights, dimming mirrors, upgraded leather, ventilated seats, smart cruise, etc. With the current weather though, I really wish it had a heated steering wheel.

If the A-spec were out at the time though, and I had to pick, I would pick an optioned up A-Spec for the tighter suspension.

Yup, bought from Danny at Rallye. Really nice sales guy, and the service experience is 1000x better than it was back when I owned by 02 TL-S. Used to hate Dealer service visits back then, but with my MDX/TLX, everything has been very pleasant.
I think the new advanced came with a heated steering wheel if not I’m gonna get it. I think it may be the advanced for me, i like how the Aspec looks and the red leather but it’s about time to get all these cool feature i never used. Danny is my sales guy too been for a while, i use to deal with Bert if you know him and several other sales people. And i agree service is wayyyyyyyyyyy better, my 02 TLs had its tranny changed 4 times a snow the first change was pulling teeth to get done. They are doing construction now there I’m gonna stop by next month and get something new.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Advance would probably be my choice and very annoying that yet again an Acura package makes no sense...to me ALL of the Advance features could have at least been options on the Aspec in the U.S.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:18 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the A Spec. The only feature I think would be an everyday plus on the Advance is the surround view camera. For me, the suspension, larger wheels and steering wheel outweigh the surround view and other features. I should note that I have the remote car start, so that’s a major feature that I would add if you look at A Spec.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
What in the advance pack do you want that the ASpec doesn't have?

Main extras that Advance has:

- Auto dimming side mirrors
- Puddle lights - welcome lighting
- 3-level heated rear outboard seats
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Remote engine start with vehicle feedback
- Surround View Camera System vs Multi-view rear camera with dynamic guidelines
- 18" wheels and tires vs 19" wheels and tires

If it's remote start and heated steering wheel, they can be added as accessories.

- Heated Steering Wheel = MSRP $500
- Remote engine start = MSRP $399

Personally, I'd choose the A-Spec over any other model mainly for the appearance package. Without it, it's just too dull looking.

The extra that the Advance has aren't that important to me either.
Don't forget about the power folding side mirrors on the Advance. I do a lot of city parking and that option alone would be very nice to have...coupled with the surround view camera, nice features for city parking.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Why not hop up to Canada and but an ASpec Elite and take advantage of the exchange rate. Even my 2016 Tech has power folding side mirrors, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, 4 door locking buttons, etc.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:14 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Why not hop up to Canada and but an ASpec Elite and take advantage of the exchange rate. Even my 2016 Tech has power folding side mirrors, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, 4 door locking buttons, etc.
I always wondered if it was that easy or did you have to pay some import tax or something bringing it across the border and register it.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
I always wondered if it was that easy or did you have to pay some import tax or something bringing it across the border and register it.
I am Canadian so no issues The good news is that, under NAFTA, because it is manufactured originally in the U.S, there are no duties.....until of course NAFTA is scrapped or changed. You would likely have to pay state taxes but you should be able to get an exemption from Canadian taxes.

The real issues are of course the price vs exchange rate, and the warranty issue. As far as I know Honda/Acura still do not honour the warranty in these cases, unless that has changed. But all those extra features...
The following users liked this post:
Speed_Racer (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:28 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
The real issues are of course the price vs exchange rate, and the warranty issue. As far as I know Honda/Acura still do not honour the warranty in these cases, unless that has changed.
Why would the warranty be an issue? Acura's are suppose to be super duper reliable. No TLX owner has ever needed to use their warranty.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Being i took delivery last Saturday, I'm voting A-Spec!
As far as roads in NYC; the ride was somewhat harsh, upon delivery
Then I realized the tires were at 40PSI!
After subtracting 5PSI, from each tire, it rides beautifully, & handles like a sportscar!
BTW: if you purchase or lease the A-Spec, negotiate wheel & tire insurance; especially in NYC
Got the finance manager down to $13/month/36 months
When you consider each 19" tire is at least $250, & each wheel is $1,100, it's worth the investment
Also, there's no limit, & no aftermarket goods; all factory replacements; and you can use any Acura dealer, or authorized tire distributor
Old 01-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
All those extra Are pretty cool And if it’s the same price as the aspec i may be leaning towards that. The only thing that would change my mind is the ride quality with the aspec. I know with the 18 it will be a more comfortable ride than the 19, also the suspension is different that may attract me. And in the advanced you loose the cool steering wheel from the aspec. The red leather i can live with but not the alcantara, i has it in my 2 tsx’s and the kids made a mess of it.

they should have just made a aspec advance and call it a day lol
I had the 2017 V6 TLX and the advance has the same wheels and suspension as that. The 2018 A-Spec AWD has a very smooth ride but handling wise its superior with the larger rims/wider tires and suspension upgrades. The ride in the A-Spec is not harsh at all but it has very little lean and goes through the corners with ease. Looks wise the A-Spec is much nicer. I still have not seen another A-Spec in my travels but I have only seen 5 or 6 non-Aspecs around my parts. I guess the choice is really more luxury options vs better handling and looks.