2018-20 ASPEC - better than 2021s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 06:51 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
they dont necessarily low ball on purpose. they just have to make a profit. cant make a profit if they buy it at above market value.
so, on the off chance that you dont know what you have...they're hoping you take the low offer.
happens all the time. someone that just needs to get rid of the car; due to job loss, divorce, a death, doesnt fit their lifestyle any longer, you name it.

on paper, my car's value is only $2100. would I ever get rid of it at that price? no way.
The following users liked this post:
Kinuto (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 07:10 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
they dont necessarily low ball on purpose. they just have to make a profit. cant make a profit if they buy it at above market value.
so, on the off chance that you dont know what you have...they're hoping you take the low offer.
happens all the time. someone that just needs to get rid of the car; due to job loss, divorce, a death, doesnt fit their lifestyle any longer, you name it.

on paper, my car's value is only $2100. would I ever get rid of it at that price? no way.
Understandable. Your car is only worth as much as you value it which is priceless in my opinion. I'd buy that TLX with no issue if they gave me 11k for my 4G. They know me well at the dealership and I spent lots of money servicing it there. Lol. Where's my loyalty discount besides the holes burned in my wallet?
Old 10-06-2020, 07:32 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I've walked out of plenty dealerships due to low ball trade offers. I've found it much better to pre-negotiate trade (after agreeing on vehicle purchase price) before ever setting foot inside a dealer. That has saved hours and days.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:32 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
I drove both a Tech AWD and Base FWD RDX. Road noise was equally bad and unacceptable. There was some wind noise, but it was mostly road noise from the tires.

Which TLX do you have? I have V6 Tech. I wanted SHAWD but read NUMEROUS issues with highway vibrations at speeds I typically drive at and the ZF9 seemed to be more touchy with the AWD models. I find the ZF9 smooth, not fast, but smooth. It's a very nice comfortable premium commuter.

I did have a 2015 SHAWD TLX loaner years ago. I recall that seemed more "fun" to drive and was decent 0-30 since it launched with rear bias, but the ZF9 in that vehicle was a jerky mess. It was terrible. The ZF9 in the 2020 FWD is fine. There may have been vibration - I dont remember, since the ZF9 overshadowed most of my other memories of that vehicle. I've always liked the seats, audio, and interior of the 1G TLX.
I have the TLX A-Spec Elite SH-AWD in Canada, so it has both the A-Spec looks and the "Advance" features! I love it!!! I love how the SH-AWD works, esp in the snow. It is a big issue for me as I live way up north, and the SH-AWD with snow tires is a fantastic combination for the north! I have to say that I have had zero vibration issue on the freeway. It is so comfortable and quiet there.

BTW, I wonder if you should go back and test drive the RDX Advance SH-AWD to see if you still hear the noises?

Oh, guess what? I had the 2015 TLX Elite SH-AWD too - that ZF-9 was a totally humungous mess!!! This 2018 model is a vast improvement but it still has issues with jerkiness at times. That said, people on other forums call this a "reliability" issue - it totally is not. It is a transmission issue - it works but just not smoothly!!! Oh well....

I am looking at the RDX now just for utility issues. If the new TLX has a shooting brake... oh my, then I will be totally in!!!
Old 10-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ostrich
I have the TLX A-Spec Elite SH-AWD in Canada, so it has both the A-Spec looks and the "Advance" features! I love it!!! I love how the SH-AWD works, esp in the snow. It is a big issue for me as I live way up north, and the SH-AWD with snow tires is a fantastic combination for the north! I have to say that I have had zero vibration issue on the freeway. It is so comfortable and quiet there.

BTW, I wonder if you should go back and test drive the RDX Advance SH-AWD to see if you still hear the noises?

Oh, guess what? I had the 2015 TLX Elite SH-AWD too - that ZF-9 was a totally humungous mess!!! This 2018 model is a vast improvement but it still has issues with jerkiness at times. That said, people on other forums call this a "reliability" issue - it totally is not. It is a transmission issue - it works but just not smoothly!!! Oh well....

I am looking at the RDX now just for utility issues. If the new TLX has a shooting brake... oh my, then I will be totally in!!!
Does the ZF9 tend to be more jerky with AWD than FWD? I test drove 2018 SHAWD with ZF9 and there was some very minor jerkiness. Nothing that I'd call terrible and MUCH improved over the 2015. I only noticed it since I was aware of the ZF9 issues. I test drove several 2020 ZF9 FWD and it was very smooth, better than the 2018 SHAWD.

I'm curious if the ZF9 was further improved in the 2020 from 2018, or if the ZF9 just tends to have more jerks in the SHAWD implementation, or if I just got lucky with the specific 2020 FWD vehicles?

Again the 2020 ZF9 is by no means a fast and sporty transmission. The 2020 FWD ZF9 is smooth and not jerky, and does not seem to hunt for gears like the 2015 notoriously did, but it seems to be in a higher gear throughout launch, making for a less sporty "fun" experience, but perfectly acceptable for a "premium/luxury" comfortable daily driver.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 10-08-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
No way

Does the ZF9 tend to be more jerky with AWD than FWD? I test drove 2018 SHAWD with ZF9 and there was some very minor jerkiness. Nothing that I'd call terrible and MUCH improved over the 2015. I only noticed it since I was aware of the ZF9 issues. I test drove several 2020 ZF9 FWD and it was very smooth, better than the 2018 SHAWD.

I'm curious if the ZF9 was further improved in the 2020 from 2018, or if the ZF9 just tends to have more jerks in the SHAWD implementation, or if I just got lucky with the specific 2020 FWD vehicles?

Again the 2020 ZF9 is by no means a fast and sporty transmission. The 2020 FWD ZF9 is smooth and not jerky, and does not seem to hunt for gears like the 2015 notoriously did, but it seems to be in a higher gear throughout launch, making for a less sporty "fun" experience, but perfectly acceptable for a "premium/luxury" comfortable daily driver.
After seeing the 2021 in person, it makes the older tlx look like station wagons.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by gptlxdrvr
It's still early, but based on what I'm reading on the Acurazine TLX 2G forums, I think the 1G V6 ASPECs of 2018-20might end up being a cult classic. I have a 2018 v6 ASPEC and I think it looks better than than the 2Gs with better Jewel eyes (except for the ugly night orange bracket around the jewels), a better back side & exhaust pipes, no weird plate around the Acura front grille logo. The SHAWD handling is amazing. Also, everyone wants new tech but the good old J35 V6 engine appears to be superior than the 2.0t and yes the dual screen infotainment was panned by most, but I actually like it better with both a touch screen and a navi/Android Auto/Apple Auto screen up top than dealing with a touch pad much lower than the tablet screen it corresponds with. Okay the ZF9 has had it's issues but it's actually decent on the ASPEC vs. the 2015-17s. Yes, the 1G TLX deserved the pinata beating on here in many ways, but is the 2018-20 ASPEC SHAWD a hidden gem that might stand the test of time? That's what it feels like to me. I am not driving it as much during the Vid, but I'm actually starting to miss driving it, to the point where I'm finding excuses to hop in and run errands, and enjoying the ride when I do.
I don't think it will be a cult classic. I also have an 18 sh-awd aspec. Coming from a 3rd gen type S I wasn't totally happy for the first year or two but after 3 years it has grown on me and don't feel in any rush to go to the next gen. If I did it would be for they type S late next year. Overall it's been a great car and the sh-awd is probably my favorite feature of the car. Paint seems to chip easy but probably my bad for getting the blue. Interior shows no wear at all. I did have a 17 tlx fwd v6 and hated it enough to trade it in after half a year. Will see what the type S is like next year and decide if its worth trading in and adding another 25-30k on top to upgrade. The 18 is a solid car overall and has not had one issue come up (which was my expectation). It's down on the list of my favorite vehicles that I have owned but maybe makes it into the top 5. While I like it I don't think I will miss it when it comes time to change it out.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jhb31
I don't think it will be a cult classic. I also have an 18 sh-awd aspec. Coming from a 3rd gen type S I wasn't totally happy for the first year or two but after 3 years it has grown on me and don't feel in any rush to go to the next gen. If I did it would be for they type S late next year. Overall it's been a great car and the sh-awd is probably my favorite feature of the car. Paint seems to chip easy but probably my bad for getting the blue. Interior shows no wear at all. I did have a 17 tlx fwd v6 and hated it enough to trade it in after half a year. Will see what the type S is like next year and decide if its worth trading in and adding another 25-30k on top to upgrade. The 18 is a solid car overall and has not had one issue come up (which was my expectation). It's down on the list of my favorite vehicles that I have owned but maybe makes it into the top 5. While I like it I don't think I will miss it when it comes time to change it out.
What did you "hate" about your 17 TLX FWD V6? I also really wanted SHAWD but didn't get it solely due to numerous horror stories about vibrations on this and similar forums. Was told vibration issues were widespread and could occur after the test drive.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:31 PM
Pro

Paint chips easily is something I hate about the quality of Acura/Honda paint. My 4G has numerous chips all over the front end. I thought these newer models would have better quality paint.

Last edited by Kinuto; 10-09-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kinuto
Paint chip easily is something I hate about th quality of Acura/Honda paint. My 4G has numerous chips all over the front end. I thought these newer models would have better quality paint.
The new ones are no worse. Honda is no better. Is the RLX the same? Keep it waxed. Also that's what touchup paint is for.
Myturn4me (03-16-2021)
Old 10-09-2020, 04:41 PM
Pro

The new ones are no worse. Honda is no better. Is the RLX the same? Keep it waxed. Also that's what touchup paint is for.
The funny thing is the paint on my Fiance's 2008 Nissan Maxima looks better than the paint on my TL, and she never waxes or washes it frequently.

Last edited by Kinuto; 10-09-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
After seeing the 2021 in person, it makes the older tlx look like station wagons.
Hmm, not seeing it.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-09-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Carnage719
Hmm, not seeing it.
I actually LIKE the look of the 1G TLX and its general size/footprint/presentation. Honestly if they could have used a sportier transmission in the V6 and addressed the vibration issues with SHAWD this would be a true fun premium/luxury sport sedan.
MarcoTLX (06-15-2022)
Old 10-10-2020, 06:43 AM
Burning Brakes

What did you "hate" about your 17 TLX FWD V6? I also really wanted SHAWD but didn't get it solely due to numerous horror stories about vibrations on this and similar forums. Was told vibration issues were widespread and could occur after the test drive.
I tend to drive well on the spirited side and the understeer in the 17 was terrible and just seemed to have so much more lean in the turns. The sh-awd handing is night and day better in dry or wet conditions and very planted on the curvy roads. I also didn't like the beak and the car was very bland looking. I almost opted for what I think was the "GT" package at the time to get a better appearance but reports of that falling off over time and separating made me pass. I made a hasty decision when they offered a very nice trade amount on my Type S. Not saying the 18 sh-awd aspec is a high performance car but a definite upgrade over what I had in the 17 appearance and handling wise and a perfectly fine daily driver. Trans shifting IMO was also improved but I have the muzzler on it so the VCM doesn't kick in which did eliminate the majority of the shifting issue everyone complains about. Best $70 improvement you can make on the V6 TLX. Never had an issue with vibration either.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
I tend to drive well on the spirited side and the understeer in the 17 was terrible and just seemed to have so much more lean in the turns. The sh-awd handing is night and day better in dry or wet conditions and very planted on the curvy roads. I also didn't like the beak and the car was very bland looking. I almost opted for what I think was the "GT" package at the time to get a better appearance but reports of that falling off over time and separating made me pass. I made a hasty decision when they offered a very nice trade amount on my Type S. Not saying the 18 sh-awd aspec is a high performance car but a definite upgrade over what I had in the 17 appearance and handling wise and a perfectly fine daily driver. Trans shifting IMO was also improved but I have the muzzler on it so the VCM doesn't kick in which did eliminate the majority of the shifting issue everyone complains about. Best $70 improvement you can make on the V6 TLX. Never had an issue with vibration either.
But P-AWS! It makes the car handle just as good as the SH-AWD version but you get better gas mileage /s.
someguy11 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 10:48 AM
Pro

I just got done test driving that 2019 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD I was looking into at my local Dealership. I have to admit the ZF Transmission is horrible and it destroys any sportiness this car has. The 2021 Acura TLX totally destroys this car. Only thing saving the previous generation is the J35. That engine is a work of art and the power it delivers puts a smile on my face everytime. Looks like I'll stick with my 2013 TL a little longer.

This car was a 1 Owner vehicle. Female owned so it had nail marks all around the interior and exterior of the car. Lots of swirls. Had a faint cigarette smell. I quickly turned it down after the test drive. When asked about why the car was sold back to the dealership the Salesman said the lady was moving to Florida and didn't need the car any longer .
Old 10-10-2020, 11:33 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
I just got done test driving that 2019 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD I was looking into at my local Dealership. I have to admit the ZF Transmission is horrible and it destroys any sportiness this car has. The 2021 Acura TLX totally destroys this car. Only thing saving the previous generation is the J35. That engine is a work of art and the power it delivers puts a smile on my face everytime. Looks like I'll stick with my 2013 TL a little longer.

This car was a 1 Owner vehicle. Female owned so it had nail marks all around the interior and exterior of the car. Lots of swirls. Had a faint cigarette smell. I quickly turned it down after the test drive. When asked about why the car was sold back to the dealership the Salesman said the lady was moving to Florida and didn't need the car any longer .
what drive mode did you have it in?
Old 10-10-2020, 12:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Sport and Normal mode. Sport is where the power kicks in nicely but the car felt like it was putting out too much power with the higher rpms and the late shifts. As for normal mode it was horrible, too much lag. Of course I'm comparing it to my current 4G (Brand New Sparkplugs installed with timing belt service) which seems extremely peppy for such a heavy car. As for SH-AWD I loved it. Made taking corners and turns at higher speeds a breeze.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Racer

I actually LIKE the look of the 1G TLX and its general size/footprint/presentation. Honestly if they could have used a sportier transmission in the V6 and addressed the vibration issues with SHAWD this would be a true fun premium/luxury sport sedan.
You keep referring to this in most every post you make. While this may be an issue with 2015-17 MY, I'm not aware of this being prevalent in the 2018-20 MY. Early 1G TLX's legacy problems seem to unfairly cover the whole model run vs. the MYs affected. Never once have I experienced vibrations relating to SH-AWD performance, or any negatives with my ZF9 (other than not having true sport sedan level responsiveness) in my 2018 ASpec V6 SH-AWD. Sometimes you have to tune out the chatter if you're unable to validate the issues through your own experience.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-10-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Carnage719
You keep referring to this in most every post you make. While this may be an issue with 2015-17 MY, I'm not aware of this being prevalent in the 2018-20 MY. Early 1G TLX's legacy problems seem to unfairly cover the whole model run vs. the MYs affected. Never once have I experienced vibrations relating to SH-AWD performance, or any negatives with my ZF9 (other than not having true sport sedan level responsiveness) in my 2018 ASpec V6 SH-AWD. Sometimes you have to tune out the chatter if you're unable to validate the issues through your own experience.
I heard the vibration issues were much better with the A-Spec SHAWD models than the non A-Spec SH-AWD. A-Spec is the only SH-AWD model I would have considered. At the time I was looking the only had a Black exterior with a Red Interior SH-AWD A-Spec within 200 miles. I live further south than the Deep South so black cars are painfully hot to enter in the summer and experience clear coat failure much sooner than any other vehicle.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
But P-AWS! It makes the car handle just as good as the SH-AWD version but you get better gas mileage /s.
I have to assume you are being sarcastic with this comment. MPG is a little better on the fwd variant, that part is true.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:44 PM
Pro

I heard the vibration issues were much better with the A-Spec SHAWD models than the non A-Spec SH-AWD. A-Spec is the only SH-AWD model I would have considered. At the time I was looking the only had a Black exterior with a Red Interior SH-AWD A-Spec within 200 miles. I live further south than the Deep South so black cars are painfully hot to enter in the summer and experience clear coat failure much sooner than any other vehicle.
How does an Appearance Package decide on wether a vehicle will have a vibration in the powertrain if all the trims share the same exact motor and transmission for all the SH-AWD models?
Old 10-10-2020, 05:17 PM

I have to assume you are being sarcastic with this comment. MPG is a little better on the fwd variant, that part is true.
that's what the /s stands for.
/s
/sarcasm
end sarcasm
Old 10-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 651 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
WTF are nail marks lol
Old 10-13-2020, 02:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
WTF are nail marks lol

These! It happens when a female with long nails goes to grab the door handle.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:35 PM

not specific to females...will happen with males too.
Kinuto (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Pro

not specific to females...will happen with males too.
Lol I know that but this TLX had a bad case. My TL had zero marks on the handles but I also have OCD. I'm sure no one else would even care about it
Old 10-13-2020, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I would basically say that a neglected car and the owner didn't care at all and just drive from point A to B.
Kinuto (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SHayat786
I would basically say that a neglected car and the owner didn't care at all and just drive from point A to B.
Exactly what it looked like from the smell of cigarettes that hit me when I stepped in the cabin. Sad it's a really nice car but a 2019 TLX Aspec SH-AWD in San Marino Red should not be looking in worse condition than a 7 year Old 2013 Acura TL. I simply couldn't pay that 34k they wanted and drive around in a car that was poorly maintained and beat on.

Last edited by Kinuto; 10-13-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:51 PM

Lol I know that but this TLX had a bad case. My TL had zero marks on the handles but I also have OCD. I'm sure no one else would even care about it
I freshly detailed my car two months ago. took me about 15 hours.

grabbed the handle and immediately put fresh nail marks in the handle pockets. GRRRR
Kinuto (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:53 PM
Pro

I freshly detailed my car two months ago. took me about 15 hours.

grabbed the handle and immediately put fresh nail marks in the handle pockets. GRRRR
Lol Time to trim those nails. I keep mine crazy short for that reason. Heck I even installed a steering wheel cover cause my nails kept catching on my wheel and shred smalls pieces of leather.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Exactly what it looked like from the smell of cigarettes that hit me when I stepped in the cabin. Sad it's a really nice car but a 2019 TLX Aspec SH-AWD in San Marino Red should not be looking in worse condition than a 7 year Old 2013 Acura TL. I simply couldn't pay that 34k they wanted and drive around in a car that was poorly maintained and beat on.
You will be surprised how people use there vehicles in just a matter of couple of months you won't recognize that it was a brand new car. I drive the same 2019 Acura TLX Aspec Sh-AWD with red interrior bought it last year 06/29/2019 just touched 10K miles and it still smells like the day I bought it but am the only driver and take extremely good care of it. My car although I am Chicago Illinois have not seen any rain or snow yet as I have a second car that I use when the weather is bad.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SHayat786
You will be surprised how people use there vehicles in just a matter of couple of months you won't recognize that it was a brand new car. I drive the same 2019 Acura TLX Aspec Sh-AWD with red interrior bought it last year 06/29/2019 just touched 10K miles and it still smells like the day I bought it but am the only driver and take extremely good care of it. My car although I am Chicago Illinois have not seen any rain or snow yet as I have a second car that I use when the weather is bad.
Oh trust I can only imagine! Most people see a vehicle like a pair of sneakers. Lol Lucky for you. My TL had seen all types of crazy weather here in Connecticut. I think by the time I'm done with this car I'll end up with the 2G TLX. I wish they had an option with a stronger engine besides the Type S. The J35 is a beast of an engine. Maybe I'll check out the Honda Passport which has the J35 and 9 Speed ZF Transmission supposedly Updated.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Forgot I started this thread. Out of curiosity for those who like me love their 1G TLX (MMC, ASPEC, SHAWD V6 in my case), anyone with a V6 go for a Sprint Booster or VCM Muzzle to liven up the shortcomings of the ZF? I bought a Sprint Booster off of someone on here for half off ($150-ish?) and to me it helped a lot in making the car feel quicker, especially right off the line. The ZF is what it is, but the Sprint Booster helps mask it somewhat. I've basically learned to drive with it and don't think about it much anymore. I opted not to go for a VCM Muzzler because I don't have any issues with vibration, but curious if anyone has gone that route?
Old 10-16-2020, 08:13 PM
Racer

Forgot I started this thread. Out of curiosity for those who like me love their 1G TLX (MMC, ASPEC, SHAWD V6 in my case), anyone with a V6 go for a Sprint Booster or VCM Muzzle to liven up the shortcomings of the ZF? I bought a Sprint Booster off of someone on here for half off ($150-ish?) and to me it helped a lot in making the car feel quicker, especially right off the line. The ZF is what it is, but the Sprint Booster helps mask it somewhat. I've basically learned to drive with it and don't think about it much anymore. I opted not to go for a VCM Muzzler because I don't have any issues with vibration, but curious if anyone has gone that route?
I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sprintbooster based on all the positive reviews. Like you, I don't have any negative experience with the VCM. Hell, I don't even know when it's in operation.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:46 PM
Advanced

I've seen some people on here say the VCM muzzle opens up the J35 to its full capabilities, but I really have no complaints about the engine power or vibration, so I'll probably hold off unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Nice blue ASPEC by the way Carnage - I wanted that color but my dealer didn't have any and I liked the white a lot too so I went with white.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:47 PM
Racer

No doubt post MMC A-Spec SH-AWD is the best of the 1G TLX, well at least the ones that don't have the vibration problem. Too bad they were completely sold out by the time I bought. It's still a great vehicle. I looked at the 2G. It looks MUCH LARGER than the 1G but actually has less usable space in the back seat, especially if you're using a rear facing car seat. 1G is fine for that.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:10 PM
Racer

I've seen some people on here say the VCM muzzle opens up the J35 to its full capabilities, but I really have no complaints about the engine power or vibration, so I'll probably hold off unless someone can convince me otherwise.
I read the same, but I'm not convinced that tricking the ECU that the coolant temp is less than 167 degrees is a good thing. What if there's a situation where your coolant temp spikes, but the ECU doesn't react because the VCMuzzler prevents it from detecting high coolant temps? If I decide to disable the VCM, I'll probably get a KTurner instead.

Nice blue ASPEC by the way Carnage - I wanted that color but my dealer didn't have any and I liked the white a lot too so I went with white.
When the model was first announced, but not yet on dealer lots, I was leaning toward white with red interior. Then I saw the Still Night Blue Pearl in person, and that sealed it. I have the black interior because I didn't like the red when I saw it in person. If the red interior was like the 2G ASpec, I would've gone with it.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-16-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:25 PM
Racer

Spent the weekend test driving vehicles for fun to compare to my 1G TLX FWD. Test drove one of the few remaining 1G SH-AWD TLX and a 2G FWD. Wish they had an A-Spec or an RLX Sport-Hybrid but still had fun.

For the 1G, the SH-AWD seems to launch ever so slightly better than the FWD but as soon as its moving the advantage stops for straight line acceleration. The ZF9 seems ever so slightly less smooth (more jerky) in the SH-AWD than the FWD. Not sure why, if the rear differential amplifies the ZF traits or not. There were some minor highway vibrations but nothing terrible, so I'm not sure if that was the "vibration problem" or not. You could take corners faster than the FWD, but the FWD seemed to have a smaller turning radius when not powering through the corners.

The 2G was a much more modern vehicle. I liked the way it drove, but I didnt like the proportions. It was too big and seemed harder to park. Also the turning radius was terrible, but the FWD turbo was more "fun" to drive than either 1G given the instant torque. Even though the 1G has more power and has better numbers on paper, the Turbo low end torque makes the power much more accessible and usable in every day driving, thus making the vehicle "FEEL" more fun, even though it's slower on paper. I can see why people like it, but the new TLX feels much more impractical vs 1G (lower, wider, longer, less usable back seat space and trunk space, harder to park and get in and out of). If they were going larger, having more usable interior space, such as a bigger back seat and trunk, like the Lexus ES, would have been better.

While the 2G is more "fun" to drive, I would not touch one at current price levels. The 2G TLX SH-AWD Advance street price is slightly more expensive than the RLX Sport Hybrid street price. I'd rather take the RLX SH vs the 2G TLX for the same price.

Of course the street price for the 1G TLX is MUCH CHEAPER than either and that is what I got. The 1G is also much easier to park than the RLX and the 2G TLX.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 10-18-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018-20 ASPEC - better than 2021s?