With 2017 ILX already released, is 2017 TLX coming soon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I hear ya. I had a 2009 TSX in that color with the bodykit and it looked amazing!

ACURAGUY2016....I feel your pain but to be honest, Acura has been struggling lately to get their MOJO back since 2009 or so. The TL/TSX of that generation really took a beating with the press and customers and then add the natural disasters and economic crisis and they just spiraled out of control since and never been able to recover as strongly as we would have liked it. They keep making bad decisions after another, and the choice to go with the ZF unit is one that will haunt them for a long time. I had a 2006 TSX, 2009 TSX, 2012 TL, a 2013 RDX and we now have a 2014 ILX but when it came time to upgrade my TL for a TLX, I just couldn't get myself to accept that HORRIBLE transmission.....

I know I will get flamed for saying this but quite honestly, I would not buy a TLX until the MMC or preferably, the FMC. I will NOT get one while that ZF unit is still paired with the TLX....I know the latest versions seem better but I just don't want nothing to do with that unit. I will wait and see what they'll do at the MMC but more than likely, the FMC. To be honest with you, I am so disappointed with the way they have handled these problems that I am likely never coming back.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:31 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Between the sh-sh-awd and 7DCT wasting away on the RLX. It seems the fix for the TLX could be:
- sport hybrid Type-S version,
- option or just dumping the 9AT and adding the 7DCT to the V-6 version,
- option for 6MT on 3.5L/2.4L,
- adding a 2.4L Adv version
- acura watch on all trim levels
- 2.4L awd option for our brothers/sisters in snow country (the +13 RDX/CR-V version)
The following users liked this post:
alpha0 (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I hear ya. I had a 2009 TSX in that color with the bodykit and it looked amazing!

ACURAGUY2016....I feel your pain but to be honest, Acura has been struggling lately to get their MOJO back since 2009 or so. The TL/TSX of that generation really took a beating with the press and customers and then add the natural disasters and economic crisis and they just spiraled out of control since and never been able to recover as strongly as we would have liked it. They keep making bad decisions after another, and the choice to go with the ZF unit is one that will haunt them for a long time. I had a 2006 TSX, 2009 TSX, 2012 TL, a 2013 RDX and we now have a 2014 ILX but when it came time to upgrade my TL for a TLX, I just couldn't get myself to accept that HORRIBLE transmission.....

I know I will get flamed for saying this but quite honestly, I would not buy a TLX until the MMC or preferably, the FMC. I will NOT get one while that ZF unit is still paired with the TLX....I know the latest versions seem better but I just don't want nothing to do with that unit. I will wait and see what they'll do at the MMC but more than likely, the FMC. To be honest with you, I am so disappointed with the way they have handled these problems that I am likely never coming back.
Totally agree. My situation is almost identical. Every time I start to look at the TLX I remind myself of the transmission AND how Acura has treated its most loyal customers. So if the 9 speed ZF is on the TLX when I am ready to buy, then I will be looking at Lexus or Honda or someone else. Love many aspects of the car, but not with that transmission.
weather (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Between the sh-sh-awd and 7DCT wasting away on the RLX. It seems the fix for the TLX could be:
- 2.4L awd option for our brothers/sisters in snow country (the +13 RDX/CR-V version)
Looking at MDX hybrid, very likely they will do the same/similar for TLX and call it type s. And dont think they will replace 9zf with 10 AT during MMC for non hybrid models as they are continuing to use 9 zf for MDX (non hybrid) and pilot. I will be in a market in next 2 years to replace my accord, most likely will wait till FMC TLX before deciding.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:57 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
- sport hybrid Type-S version, < that would be a great car. I agree the SH-SH-AWD is underutilized on the RLX
- option or just dumping the 9AT and adding the 7DCT to the V-6 version, < That transmission would not work on the TLX, but I think the TLX will get the in-house 10-speed at the MMC. Then I'd stay away for a year to see if the transmission is crap or not.
- adding a 2.4L Adv version < we could only wish by Acrau would never do this. Every Advance feature just with the 2.4L.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:14 AM
mrgold35

I'm going to wait until the MMC to see what options are available for the TLX. I'm leaning hard towards a (used) 16-17 TLX adv sh-awd thinking a minor 9AT fix were silently addressed in-house and the fix is hit-or-miss with 15 version. I don't know if I want to wait 18-24 months for the MMC for the +18 TLX. If the +18 TLX is an hit, I can always trade in the 16/17 TLX adv for a 2018-2020 version down the road. I like the sh-sh-awd MDX; but, I already have 2 perfectly good SUVs and I can't do anything differently or more in one $60K +17 MDX sh-sh-awd compared to my $25K 11 MDX and $12K 08 RDX together. Add a supercharger to the 3.0L sh-sh-awd +17 MDX and +18 TLX Type-S and now things get interesting.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Here's the biggest problem with the TLX:

The TLX 3.5L PAWS base is $35K. The TLX 3.5L SHAWD Advance is $45K. Both cars have, essentially, the same suspension, brakes, tires, interior materials and the same engine but one is $10,000 more than the other.

Look at the BMW 3 series: the 320xi starts at $35K. The BMW 340i starts at $45K. These cars have different brakes, tires, interior materials and engines.

Look at the same $10K difference at Mercedes. The C300 4MATIC is $41K. The C450 AMG 4MATIC is $51K. These cars have different brakes, tires, suspensions and engines.

Acura HAS to address this problem in the MMC.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^acura values their AWD system and has put a price on it!
Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
^^^
I don't really see the issue. The base TLX 3.5L PAWS is $35,320.00 The lowest trim level TLX with SHAWD has the Tech Package and is $41,575.00. That's only a $6255.00 price difference. But it you compare the 3.5L PAWS Tech to the 3.5L SHAWD Tech, which is a more comparable comparison, the price difference drops to exactly $2200.00. I don't think that's a huge price increase to add the SHAWD system. The price difference from a base 6 cylinder TLX to a fully loaded one is $9480.00. If you priced the base BMW 3 series to a fully loaded one, you're talking a huge price chasm. Same thing with the Mercedes. I haven't researched the exact pricing on the BMW or MB but I would guess the difference would be at least $20k.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I don't blame you for staying away from the ZF unit. It worries me, who knows in the future what else could be a known problem that Acura will refuse to fix. Very skeptical of buying another Acura, but hopefully this '18 Type S will make up for it. I love the look of my TLX but so much could be done to it to make it look badass! I think the '18 will be worth the wait as it should hopefully be out in summer of next year.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 378 Posts
I've been disappointed that the only difference you see in an Acura tl/tlx lately is either wheels, or fogs from trim level perspective. 12-14's all look the same accept the wheels and a spoiler. The tlx's all look the same front and back. Why does my 35k tlx look like a 45ktlx. Kia Optima's atleast give distinct trim options that you can outwardly see. HID, Led's, bumpers, etc. Acura is trying to appeal to the masses and keep costs low I get it, but when you are at the top I shouldn't have to look at the owners manual to tell what trim level I have. Single piece bumper/spoiler/fogs/head and tail lights, steering wheel, dash trim should be in the game plan moving forward standard. The kit makes the tlx look great but enough with the stick on pieces. The diamond cut wheels should be on the SH-AWD Type-S Advance trims standard. The v6 wheels should be on the base and find a wheel upgade for the v6. I want to walk on a Acura lot in a year and know what trim I'm looking at. You want that exciting red prototype color, then buy the SH-AWD Aspec Advance if they decide to offer Type-S. At least make it an option for the enthusiast or casual buyer who wants to stand out.
silverTL6 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
^^^
I don't really see the issue. The base TLX 3.5L PAWS is $35,320.00 The lowest trim level TLX with SHAWD has the Tech Package and is $41,575.00. That's only a $6255.00 price difference. But it you compare the 3.5L PAWS Tech to the 3.5L SHAWD Tech, which is a more comparable comparison, the price difference drops to exactly $2200.00. I don't think that's a huge price increase to add the SHAWD system. The price difference from a base 6 cylinder TLX to a fully loaded one is $9480.00. If you priced the base BMW 3 series to a fully loaded one, you're talking a huge price chasm. Same thing with the Mercedes. I haven't researched the exact pricing on the BMW or MB but I would guess the difference would be at least $20k.
The point wasn't necessarily about the price difference itself - it was about how the model barely changes from $35-$45K and how other luxury car companies have managed to find a way to create meaningful performance and mechanical differences over a similar pricing spread with their bread and butter sedan models. Acura has to find a way to do the same. The 4G TL SHAWD was compared favorably to the A7 Quattro by some. No one would do the same to the TLX SHAWD. Acura wants to make "Precision Crafted Performance" their tagline...

So here's what I'm hoping to see for the MMC, short of totally new engines/platforms...:

They kill the FWD V6. It hurts their desired "Precision Crafted Performance" image more than anything else that it does. I'm sure it's a fine car to drive but it does nothing for what the brand seems to want to become.

10AT replaces the 9AT. 8DCT sticks around.

Acurawatch either standard on all models or standard on Tech trims.

They bring an Advance trim to the I4. Possibly a "base" or "premium" trim for the SHAWD as well. All Acura Advance trims get real wood!

Upgraded brakes and tires all around with more wheel design options, SHAWD has bigger front rotors compared to 2.4 PAWS version. The suspension gets a tweak across the board to be just a bit less soft especially on V6 versions.

A-Spec trims/kits for both I4 and V6 SHAWD. The I4 could be a dealer installed kit with both visual upgrades (unique bumpers) and mechanical options (brakes/wheels/tires/suspension) - the A-spec V6 should come with the 310 hp J and so it would have to be from the factory. I'd very much like to see some sort of truly adaptive suspension - possibly like the new MDX Sport Hybrid has - I don't know if Magnet dampers should come out for anything other than the return of the Type-S. The V6 A-spec would have to have a seriously nice interior too - as it would be priced $45K and up.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
- sport hybrid Type-S version, < that would be a great car. I agree the SH-SH-AWD is underutilized on the RLX
- option or just dumping the 9AT and adding the 7DCT to the V-6 version, < That transmission would not work on the TLX, but I think the TLX will get the in-house 10-speed at the MMC. Then I'd stay away for a year to see if the transmission is crap or not.
- adding a 2.4L Adv version < we could only wish by Acrau would never do this. Every Advance feature just with the 2.4L.
The problem with putting in the SH-SH-AWD will be it will limit production, so unless they still offer a 310+ HP V6 in a SH-AWD they will limit the sales of a Type-S. I do agree that limiting options in the I4 is dumb, some people don;t want or need a V6 that does not mean they shuodl not be able to get all the options. Although Audi does the same thing. To get a Prestige A6 you have to get V6.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Racer

Does inhouse 10 AT also have dog clutch?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:40 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
The problem with putting in the SH-SH-AWD will be it will limit production, so unless they still offer a 310+ HP V6 in a SH-AWD they will limit the sales of a Type-S. I do agree that limiting options in the I4 is dumb, some people don;t want or need a V6 that does not mean they shuodl not be able to get all the options. Although Audi does the same thing. To get a Prestige A6 you have to get V6.
I think the Type-S will be limited production anyway. But the shortage of batteries needs to be fixed. Other manufacturers seem to be able to find batteries, just not Acura.

Originally Posted by alpha0
Does inhouse 10 AT also have dog clutch?
I don't think so.

Originally Posted by iutodd
The point wasn't necessarily about the price difference itself - it was about how the model barely changes from $35-$45K and how other luxury car companies have managed to find a way to create meaningful performance and mechanical differences over a similar pricing spread with their bread and butter sedan models. Acura has to find a way to do the same. The 4G TL SHAWD was compared favorably to the A7 Quattro by some. No one would do the same to the TLX SHAWD. Acura wants to make "Precision Crafted Performance" their tagline...

When you look at the full range of the TLX line up from the 2.4L base to the V6 SH-AWD Advance there are two performance steps (power and SH-AWD) and many features and other comfort differences.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 AM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think the RLX and 2017 MDX are in limited production for SH-SH-AWD, are they? If they are, then ignore what i'm saying. But if they are not, I don't see why a TLX SH-SH-AWD would be limited in production. Type-S? Sure, i can see *that* being in limited production. But, assuming they put a SH-SH-AWD system into the TLX for 2018 or at FMC or at any point, I don't think that would be in limited production. So, with that said, I don't think a TLX SH-SH-AWD = Type-S.

I think a Type-S would be based on a standard, full production TLX SH-SH-AWD model and then tweaked with "Type-S" enhancements... stiffer suspension, bigger brakes, different exhaust, and some cosmetic changes on top. That would be possibly limited in production.
But a regular TLX SH-SH-AWD won't be limited in production i dont' think, just like the RLX and 2017 MDX SH-SH-AWD models are not (or are they?).

With that said, again, assuming there will eventually be a TLX SH-SH-AWD, i don't think that alone will be a "Type-S" model. I think a Type-S will be offered as a tweaked version of a "standard" TLX SH-SH-AWD model.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:27 AM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Nevermind, I see that the RLX SH-SH-AWD is in limited production (250 in 2014 and 250 in 2016)... BUT, I would venture a guess that the RLX SH-SH-AWD is in limited production as a function of demand, not to actually limit the ability to get the car or the quantity of the car. The RLX hybrid is selling about 20 per month (+/- 5 let's say)... so they really just don't need to produce more than ~250 a year or they'd have a ton sitting on lots collecting dust.

... but will the 2017 MDX SH-SH-AWD be in limited production as well? I don't think so, but does anyone know?
Then again, I can't ascertain what the demand is forecasted to be or what the demand actually will be for a hybrid (sh-sh) MDX....
So if demand is low, then yeah I would think we'd see it in limited production...

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne; 06-21-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^for some reason, I loved reading your internal debate on whether or not SH-SH-AWD will be limted production or not.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:23 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Haha, i'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it

Until I hear the SH-SH-AWD MDX is limited production, i'm going to assume an SH-SH-AWD TLX (if it's even going to be made) is not going to be limited production. Type-S could be though... assuming there is even going to be one.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne
Haha, i'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it

Until I hear the SH-SH-AWD MDX is limited production, i'm going to assume an SH-SH-AWD TLX (if it's even going to be made) is not going to be limited production. Type-S could be though... assuming there is even going to be one.
i don't think Acura will ever say limited, but let's see how many are on dealer lots. I just think price and availability will basically make it limited. I'd like to be wrong, but then again my TLX has left a taste that I doubt I would do another Acura again. The Type-S would need a new tranny, new infotainment and better materials inside, all very unlikely until FMC.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:01 PM
Racer

I don't think the RLX and 2017 MDX are in limited production for SH-SH-AWD, are they? If they are, then ignore what i'm saying. But if they are not, I don't see why a TLX SH-SH-AWD would be limited in production. Type-S? Sure, i can see *that* being in limited production. But, assuming they put a SH-SH-AWD system into the TLX for 2018 or at FMC or at any point, I don't think that would be in limited production. So, with that said, I don't think a TLX SH-SH-AWD = Type-S.

I think a Type-S would be based on a standard, full production TLX SH-SH-AWD model and then tweaked with "Type-S" enhancements... stiffer suspension, bigger brakes, different exhaust, and some cosmetic changes on top. That would be possibly limited in production.
But a regular TLX SH-SH-AWD won't be limited in production i dont' think, just like the RLX and 2017 MDX SH-SH-AWD models are not (or are they?).

With that said, again, assuming there will eventually be a TLX SH-SH-AWD, i don't think that alone will be a "Type-S" model. I think a Type-S will be offered as a tweaked version of a "standard" TLX SH-SH-AWD model.
From product management perspective, V6 SHAWD, regular SH-SHAWD and Type S SH-SHAWD does not make sense as there is not much differentiation. Add A-Spec version of V6 SHAWD in the mix to make it even more complicated. If they go hybrid TLX, it will be Type S. And looking at MDX hybrid, i think Acura will go that route till FMC at which point they can use new engine/longitudinal mounting, precision concept dimensions etc. And if MDX hybrid does not sell well, they might even drop the idea of hybrid TLX and use slight bump in A-spec TLX SHAWD till FMC.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:37 AM
mrgold35

The only reason the sh-sh-awd MDX would fail to sell is because the price point will be too high to join the hybrid club. It will most likely be the same problem with a TLX sh-sh-awd Type-S. Really hard to justify spending +$60,000 for sh-sh-awd MDX to save $5-$10 at the pump that will take +20 years to break even. Hopefully the hybrid MDX doesn't have has less towing, extra weight, poorer handling, higher maint cost, or less internal space than a 3.5L version.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:45 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
The only reason the sh-sh-awd MDX would fail to sell is because the price point will be too high to join the hybrid club. It will most likely be the same problem with a TLX sh-sh-awd Type-S. Really hard to justify spending +$60,000 for sh-sh-awd MDX to save $5-$10 at the pump that will take +20 years to break even. Hopefully the hybrid MDX doesn't have has less towing, extra weight, poorer handling, higher maint cost, or less internal space than a 3.5L version.
Well it looks like Acura has royally screwed up again. In their new 2017 MDX, the Advance package now FORCES you to get 2nd row Captains Chairs, making the vehicle FAR LESS practical and family friendly. They still have the same antiquated infotainment and DVD only with no HDMI rear entertainment system, unless you opt for the Advance package with Captains Chairs. I see no benefit whatsoever over a 2016.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Racer

^^^
While it would be nice for Acura to offer a middle chair for the 2nd row (which they might, who knows til the car comes out), I don't think this will be a huge deal. Advance buyers make up a fraction of other buyers and if you look at a car like the Enclave which sells very well, many come with captain chairs for the 2nd row, but Buick does offer a middle seat at no extra cost. I think the 2nd row cap chairs in the MDX will be nice, especially with that center console with the tray and center bin, cup holders, and USB ports. I actually like how Acura is doing this for regular advance and the middle seat for the adv entertainment. I think if a buyer really wants that middle seat, they'll spring for the adv w/ ent without too many complaints.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 AM
2011 CBP TL Tech

i don't think Acura will ever say limited, but let's see how many are on dealer lots. I just think price and availability will basically make it limited. I'd like to be wrong, but then again my TLX has left a taste that I doubt I would do another Acura again. The Type-S would need a new tranny, new infotainment and better materials inside, all very unlikely until FMC.
Sure, that's fair. I think price will basically be the deciding factor. To put it simply, I think price will dictate demand which will dictate quantities produced which will ultimately dictate availability on lots. Type-S...yeah.. some rumors say 2018, but FMC seems like a much more real possibility.

From product management perspective, V6 SHAWD, regular SH-SHAWD and Type S SH-SHAWD does not make sense as there is not much differentiation. Add A-Spec version of V6 SHAWD in the mix to make it even more complicated. If they go hybrid TLX, it will be Type S. And looking at MDX hybrid, i think Acura will go that route till FMC at which point they can use new engine/longitudinal mounting, precision concept dimensions etc. And if MDX hybrid does not sell well, they might even drop the idea of hybrid TLX and use slight bump in A-spec TLX SHAWD till FMC.
From product management perspective, I would say there is quite a bit of differentiation. I'm not sure what A-Spec references in terms of the current TLX or MDX. An SH-SH-AWD TLX could certainly be the "Type-S" and only the "Type-S"... but they could easily make it another trim level or package or whatever they want to call it. Clearly, having an SH-SH-AWD model does not necessitate Type-S badging.

To reference the 2017 MDX, the available models/trims are (SH-SH-AWD models/trim coming later this year):

MDX (FWD) 9AT 19/27/22 $43,950
MDX (FWD) with Technology Package 9AT 19/27/22 $48,360
MDX (FWD) with Technology and Entertainment Packages 9AT 19/27/22 $50,360
MDX (FWD) with Advance Package (with Idle Stop) 9AT 20/27/23 $54,400
MDX (FWD) with Advance & Entertainment Packages (with Idle Stop) 9AT 20/27/23 $56,400
MDX (SH-AWD)9AT18/26/21$45,950MDX (SH-AWD) with Technology Package 9AT 18/26/21 $50,360
MDX (SH-AWD) with Technology & Entertainment Packages 9AT 18/26/21 $52,360
MDX (SH-AWD) with Advance Package (with Idle Stop) 9AT 19/26/22 $56,400
MDX (SH-AWD) with Advance & Entertainment Packages (with Idle Stop) 9AT 19/26/22 $58,400
MDX (SH-SH-AWD) .................................................. ............................... $XX,XXX

Essentially, the highest level of differentiation lies between FWD, SH-AWD, and SH-SH-AWD (Hybrid) variants. And, I think anyone here can tell you that there is A LOT of differentiation between those models - between a FWD, SH-AWD, and a SH-SH-AWD MDX. The rest of the clutter (non-bold items) are just trim levels, but offer a bit of differentiation as well, which is the whole point of having trims to begin with.

TLX 2.4 8-DCT P-AWS $31,695
TLX 2.4 8-DCT P-AWS with Technology Package $35,750
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT P-AWS $35,320
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT P-AWS with Technology Package $39,375
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT P-AWS with Advance Package $42,600
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT SH-AWD with Technology Package $41,575
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT SH-AWD with Advance Package $44,800
TLX SH-SH-AWD .............................................$XX,X XX
TLX SH-SH-AWD "Type-S".................................$YY,YYY

This is basically how I see it with the introduction of the SH-SH-AWD. Both of these Model/Trim charts could certainly be simplified and maybe they should be, but it seems they are more or less just quick references to answer consumers' pricing questions (without talking to a sales person). And it seems to be that there is a trend to market cars a la carte, so now manufacturers just list the main combinations people would most likely fall into. At the same time, it is necessary to do this to an extent, because people don't want to be pidgeon-holed into trim levels that are either too costly or unnecessary to them. Look at Lexus, basically every one of their cars and every subsequent variation of those cars has "F-Sport" available badging/features. Acuraguy's quote illustrates this well:

Well it looks like Acura has royally screwed up again. In their new 2017 MDX, the Advance package now FORCES you to get 2nd row Captains Chairs, making the vehicle FAR LESS practical and family friendly. They still have the same antiquated infotainment and DVD only with no HDMI rear entertainment system, unless you opt for the Advance package with Captains Chairs. I see no benefit whatsoever over a 2016.
The point is I don't think differentiation is going to force Acura to make all TLX SH-SH-AWD as Type-S. That is, SH-SH-AWD does not necessarily equate to Type-S (or vice versa for that matter) from what we've seen. The other point is that a TLX SH-SH-AWD and a TLX SH-SH-AWD Type-S are not redundant. The Type-S package could include numerous "enhancements" over a regular TLX SH-SH-AWD. If not, do you think everyone who wants a hybrid TLX should be forced to also get Type-S costs and would be willing to pay for Type S performance when all they want is the hybrid?

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne; 06-22-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Racer

I don't see the point in Acura doing an SH-SH-AWD TLX AND an SH-SH-AWD Type S. It would seem redundant and too pricey as the SH-SH-AWD is already supposed to be the performance model. I think a Type-S will debut for 2018, as long as Acura has cosmetic upgrades and sport tuned exhaust included along with a slight engine upgrade they'll have no problem pulling it off. Who knows with Acura though, I'd like to know before they removed all visible exhaust on their models, how many customers said, "I don't like how the chrome-tipped exhaust is exposed in that sexy trapezoidal shape."
Old 06-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by atl7
I don't see the point in Acura doing an SH-SH-AWD TLX AND an SH-SH-AWD Type S. It would seem redundant and too pricey as the SH-SH-AWD is already supposed to be the performance model. I think a Type-S will debut for 2018, as long as Acura has cosmetic upgrades and sport tuned exhaust included along with a slight engine upgrade they'll have no problem pulling it off. Who knows with Acura though, I'd like to know before they removed all visible exhaust on their models, how many customers said, "I don't like how the chrome-tipped exhaust is exposed in that sexy trapezoidal shape."
If sight engine upgrade means using 310 hp NA V6 (and say suspension tuning, brakes, some aggressive front grill etc), what is stopping them from bringing Type S sooner? May be they are waiting for replacement of 9zf.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Racer

If you look at the '07 Type-S, it was only 28hp more and a 3.5L, just a slight bump in power. Most all changes were cosmetic and exhaust tips. And it took Acura 3 years to do this, although there really wasn't as much of a need to change the looks (certain parts) as the TLX.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

I don't understand how people can call two cars redundant when they don't even exist (yet). How can we call two things we basically know nothing about redundant with each other? What are the differences, in your head, between a SH-SH-AWD TLX and a SH-SH-AWD TLX Type-S? If it's that one has a badge and the other doesn't, then yeah, I 100% agree that they would be redundant. But if we look at what the 2007 Type-S brought to the table, it doesn't seem quite so redundant:

The Acura TL Type-S received the Acura RL's 3.5-liter V6 tuned to 286 horsepower (213 kW) with either a 5-speed automatic with F1 style paddle shifters or a 6-speed manual transmission. The Manual transmission includes a Limited Slip Differential. Exterior differences include quad exhaust pipes, restyled rear lamps and front fascia, lip spoiler, wider side sills, Brembo brakes, dark silver 10-spoke wheels, a "black chrome" grille rather than the standard glossy grille, and exclusive Type-S badging, plus an exclusive new color option, Kinetic Blue Pearl. The interior has Type-S badging on the steering wheel and headrests, more highly bolstered front seats, two-tone seats, metal racing pedals, carbon fiber trim, and red interior lighting. Touch screen navigation is standard and the suspension has been firmed up. The only options are the aforementioned transmission and high performance summer tires rather than the standard all-season tires.

Quite a few differences. So, is the Type-S SH-SH-AWD TLX going to be redundant with a SH-SH-AWD TLX? I don't know, but unless the base SH-SH-AWD TLX comes with a comprehensive list of changes like above, then I would guess not. With that said, maybe you're right. I don't, for one second, pretend that the SH-SH-AWD TLX is not going to be what Acura calls the Type-S. It very well could be. I just don't think redundancy or differentiation is a strong argument. If so, then in this context, redundancy and lack of differentiation already exists in the current lineup of both the TLX and MDX (see my previous post of models and trim levels) - in which case, that hasn't stopped Acura from continuing to do so.

TL;DR

Hypothetically...

If Type S = SH-SH-AWD TLX + "exclusive Type-S badging"... Conclusion: Redundant
If Type S = SH-SH-AWD TLX + more HP, diff transmission, quad exhausts, restyled rear lamps and front fascia, brembo brakes, diff rims, diff grille, new exclusive color(s), different steering wheel and headrests, different seats, pedals, interior trim, interior lighting, and a firmer suspension... Conclusion: Not Redundant

Disclaimer: :These cars don't exist yet.

What I'm saying is... throwing on Acura's sport hybrid system onto a TLX, gluing on a Type-S badge, and calling it a day is going to leave me very disappointed.

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne; 06-22-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Racer

It is more of product placement issue. Current TLX SHAWD competes well with A4, 320i, C300 etc, but it will not be cross shopped against 340xi, S4, XE, C43 etc. Slight bump in power from 290 hp will not help TLX compete with these vehicles, so what is the ponit of Type S model? May be in 2007-8 time frame, Type S was competitive in hp/torque numbers.
silverTL6 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
The number of trims on each Acura's models are getting out of control these days.

In my opinion the MDX should never be offered as FWD option. TLX V6 FWD trims are also pointless. Do not get me started on Acura Watch - what kind of a name is this? Does it mean I get an extra watch inside the car? - it only costs $1300 as a trim option. Acura should either incorporate it into higher trims or suck it up and offer it in the base instead of creating a different "TRIM" with such stupid name. Also on ILX, why bother with two different A-spec trims? There should be only one performance oriented trim and it should be called Type-S.
silverTL6 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Racer

I don't understand how people can call two cars redundant when they don't even exist (yet). How can we call two things we basically know nothing about redundant with each other? What are the differences, in your head, between a SH-SH-AWD TLX and a SH-SH-AWD TLX Type-S? If it's that one has a badge and the other doesn't, then yeah, I 100% agree that they would be redundant. But if we look at what the 2007 Type-S brought to the table, it doesn't seem quite so redundant:
Most of those changes you listed were cosmetic, very few mechanical. And according to your list, Acura in 2018 or whenever would have the 2.4 206hp 4cyl, 3.5 290hp V6, SH-SH-AWD V6 (w/ what, maybe 330hp total output?), SH-SH-AWD Type-S V6 (350hp?? even if they'd do this). Yes I'm going to call that redundant as I don't need to know what each trim comes with, there is no point in the regular SH-SH-AWD. Those who just want a V6 and nothing more (simply because they don't want a 4cyl) are going to spring for the 290hp V6. Buyers wanting more than the regular V6 are clearly going for performance which will lead them to the SH-SH-AWD Type-S, leaving no room for the regular SH-SH-AWD. Look at all luxury sedans, most go up from 4cyl to 6cyl to 8cyl, except for Acura as they (sadly) don't make V8's. So 4cyl->6cyl->performance 6cyl. I'm not saying I don't want what was brought to the '07 Type-S, I'm saying a regular (non-sport) SH-SH TLX will likely never exist as it doesn't make sense.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mlody
The number of trims on each Acura's models are getting out of control these days.

In my opinion the MDX should never be offered as FWD option. TLX V6 FWD trims are also pointless. Do not get me started on Acura Watch - what kind of a name is this? Does it mean I get an extra watch inside the car? - it only costs $1300 as a trim option. Acura should either incorporate it into higher trims or suck it up and offer it in the base instead of creating a different "TRIM" with such stupid name. Also on ILX, why bother with two different A-spec trims? There should be only one performance oriented trim and it should be called Type-S.
I agree, adding on safety equipment shouldn't give the car its own trim, should just be optioned out as the technology package.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:31 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Most of those changes you listed were cosmetic, very few mechanical. And according to your list, Acura in 2018 or whenever would have the 2.4 206hp 4cyl, 3.5 290hp V6, SH-SH-AWD V6 (w/ what, maybe 330hp total output?), SH-SH-AWD Type-S V6 (350hp?? even if they'd do this). Yes I'm going to call that redundant as I don't need to know what each trim comes with, there is no point in the regular SH-SH-AWD. Look at all luxury sedans, most go up from 4cyl to 6cyl to 8cyl, except for Acura as they (sadly) don't make V8's. So 4cyl->6cyl->performance 6cyl. I'm not saying I don't want what was brought to the '07 Type-S, I'm saying a regular (non-sport) SH-SH TLX will likely never exist as it doesn't make sense.
Cosmetic changes have no bearing on what designates Type-S. "My list" is what Acura called a Type-S in 2008.... so cosmetic or not, mechanical or not, that is the last actual example of what qualifies as a Type-S in Acura's book.

There is no point in a regular SH-SH-AWD? A regular (non Type-S) SH-SH TLX doesn't make sense? You should tell that to Acura because they are releasing a "regular" SH-SH-AWD MDX this year and already released a "regular" SH-SH-AWD RLX as well. Neither of which have a Type-S badge.
The thing is, Acura already has SH-SH-AWD cars and none of them have a Type-S badge. None.

Those who just want a V6 and nothing more (simply because they don't want a 4cyl) are going to spring for the 290hp V6. Buyers wanting more than the regular V6 are clearly going for performance which will lead them to the SH-SH-AWD Type-S, leaving no room for the regular SH-SH-AWD.
The 290HP V6 isn't hybrid. So, the thing is, there is room, because people who want a hybrid V6 aren't going to want the regular V6. People want a hybrid V6 and don't need extra performance beyond that aren't going to want an SH-SH-AWD Type-S. Since when was a V6 and a hybrid V6 the same car? So no, they're not redundant.

And. even. if. i grant. your. argument. that. they. are. indeed. redundant............. it doesn't even matter because Acura clearly isn't afraid of redundancy in their lineup and would make an SH-SH-AWD and an SH-SH-AWD Type-S anyway despite the supposed "redundancy" judging by what they've already done.

In other words, if this is redundant (and maybe it is!):

TLX 2.4 8-DCT P-AWS $31,695
TLX 2.4 8-DCT P-AWS with Technology Package $35,750
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT P-AWS $35,320
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT P-AWS with Technology Package $39,375
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT P-AWS with Advance Package $42,600
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT SH-AWD with Technology Package $41,575
TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT SH-AWD with Advance Package $44,800
TLX SH-SH-AWD .............................................$XX,X XX
TLX SH-SH-AWD "Type-S".................................$YY,YYY

Did that stop Acura from doing that kind of model/tirm line up anyway? No. Are they going to draw the redundancy line between a TLX SH-SH-AWD and a TLX SH-SH-AWD Type-S? Maybe. I'm gonna guess no for now though based on that chart.

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne; 06-23-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Racer

^^^
No, the regular SH-SH-AWD MDX and RLX are fine because there is no Type-S version offered on the two. I'm not bashing the SH-SH-AWD, I'm saying there is no point in the regular if the Type-S trim is also being offered. Lmao, the 290hp V6 obviously isn't a hybrid, I drive that V6 everyday. I'm done talking about this, I know Acura won't offer a SH-SH-AWD along with a Type-S trim of that. You clearly think otherwise and that's fine, to each their own. Either way we can all agree we want something sporty for the '18 TLX
Old 06-23-2016, 03:17 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

^^^
No, the regular SH-SH-AWD MDX and RLX are fine because there is no Type-S version offered on the two. I'm not bashing the SH-SH-AWD, I'm saying there is no point in the regular if the Type-S trim is also being offered. Lmao, the 290hp V6 obviously isn't a hybrid, I drive that V6 everyday. I'm done talking about this, I know Acura won't offer a SH-SH-AWD along with a Type-S trim of that. You clearly think otherwise and that's fine, to each their own. Either way we can all agree we want something sporty for the '18 TLX
All I know is... a TLX SH-SH-AWD should NOT be designated as a Type-S car (unless they add a bunch of other shit to it on top of that). A TLX SH-SH-AWD doesn't deserve a Type-S badge. It's "just" a SH-SH-AWD TLX and that's it - plain and simple (just like how that's the case with the RLX and MDX).

If they put out a TLX SH-SH-AWD and call it a Type-S, then consumers and loyalists alike got ripped off and Type-S means jack shit at that point. You will be essentially paying a premium for a Type-S badge on top of the ~$5,500 SH-SH-AWD system at that point. Because what is "Type-S" about it at that point? SH-SH-AWD =/= Type-S... unless Acura decides to change this with the TLX... which would be a poor choice on their part.

If they put out a TLX SH-SH-AWD AND also "quad exhaust pipes, restyled rear lamps and front fascia, lip spoiler, wider side sills, Brembo brakes, dark silver 10-spoke wheels, a "black chrome" grille rather than the standard glossy grille, and exclusive Type-S badging, plus an exclusive new color option, Kinetic Blue Pearl. The interior has Type-S badging on the steering wheel and headrests, more highly bolstered front seats, two-tone seats, metal racing pedals, carbon fiber trim, and red interior lighting. Touch screen navigation is standard and the suspension has been firmed up. The only options are the aforementioned transmission and high performance summer tires rather than the standard all-season tires" then yes please, call it a Type-S.

Acura should come out with a SH-SH-AWD TLX (and I hope they do)... but dear god Acura, please don't call it a Type-S. Call it what it is and leave it at that.

But hopefully, Acura comes out with a SH-SH-AWD TLX that has a bunch of other shit (exhaust, lip spolier, diff wheels, etc. etc. etc.) the other models/trims don't have and calls that a Type-S. This is what i'm getting at.

/end

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne; 06-23-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
All I know is... a TLX SH-SH-AWD should NOT be designated as a Type-S car (unless they add a bunch of other shit to it on top of that). A TLX SH-SH-AWD doesn't deserve a Type-S badge. It's "just" a SH-SH-AWD TLX and that's it - plain and simple (just like how that's the case with the RLX and MDX).

If they put out a TLX SH-SH-AWD and call it a Type-S, then consumers and loyalists alike got ripped off and Type-S means jack shit at that point. You will be essentially paying a premium for a Type-S badge on top of the ~$5,500 SH-SH-AWD system at that point. Because what is "Type-S" about it at that point? SH-SH-AWD =/= Type-S... unless Acura decides to change this with the TLX... which would be a poor choice on their part.

If they put out a TLX SH-SH-AWD AND also "quad exhaust pipes, restyled rear lamps and front fascia, lip spoiler, wider side sills, Brembo brakes, dark silver 10-spoke wheels, a "black chrome" grille rather than the standard glossy grille, and exclusive Type-S badging, plus an exclusive new color option, Kinetic Blue Pearl. The interior has Type-S badging on the steering wheel and headrests, more highly bolstered front seats, two-tone seats, metal racing pedals, carbon fiber trim, and red interior lighting. Touch screen navigation is standard and the suspension has been firmed up. The only options are the aforementioned transmission and high performance summer tires rather than the standard all-season tires" then yes please, call it a Type-S.

Acura should come out with a SH-SH-AWD TLX (and I hope they do)... but dear god Acura, please don't call it a Type-S. Call it what it is and leave it at that.

But hopefully, Acura comes out with a SH-SH-AWD TLX that has a bunch of other shit (exhaust, lip spolier, diff wheels, etc. etc. etc.) the other models/trims don't have and calls that a Type-S. This is what i'm getting at.

/end
SHAWD is good enough for me. I hope Acura keeps regular SHAWD. SH SHAWD makes the vehicles more expensive to buy, more to maintain and repair, and MUCH LESS cargo space. I'll take regular SHAWD one the ZF is dumped. I'd gladly take a 4 cyl DCT for the time being if they'd just offer Acurawatch as an option.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
"[QUOTE=Bruce_Wayne;15784083]IThe Acura TL Type-S received the Acura RL's 3.5-liter V6 tuned to 286 horsepower (213 kW) with either a 5-speed automatic with F1 style paddle shifters or a 6-speed manual transmission. The Manual transmission includes a Limited Slip Differential. Exterior differences include quad exhaust pipes, restyled rear lamps and front fascia, lip spoiler, wider side sills, Brembo brakes, dark silver 10-spoke wheels, a "black chrome" grille rather than the standard glossy grille, and exclusive Type-S badging, plus an exclusive new color option, Kinetic Blue Pearl. The interior has Type-S badging on the steering wheel and headrests, more highly bolstered front seats, two-tone seats, metal racing pedals, carbon fiber trim, and red interior lighting. Touch screen navigation is standard and the suspension has been firmed up. The only options are the aforementioned transmission and high performance summer tires rather than the standard all-season tires.

Quite a few differences. So, is the Type-S SH-SH-AWD TLX going to be redundant with a SH-SH-AWD TLX? I don't know, but unless the base SH-SH-AWD TLX comes with a comprehensive list of changes like above, then I would guess not. With that said, maybe you're right. I don't, for one second, pretend that the SH-SH-AWD TLX is not going to be what Acura calls the Type-S. It very well could be. I just don't think redundancy or differentiation is a strong argument. If so, then in this context, redundancy and lack of differentiation already exists in the current lineup of both the TLX and MDX (see my previous post of models and trim levels) - in which case, that hasn't stopped Acura from continuing to do so."

So I had a 2007 TL Type S, and in my opinion, my TLX SH-AWD smokes it in every way. More elegant, better handling (once I put the same tires on it that I had on the Type S), safer, and sooo much quieter. Just sayin'.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Racer

Why would anyone want a 350hp/350 lbft vehicle with 7 dct but softer suspension and not grippy tires? In packaging products, engine capacity is in base model. Apart from suspension, everything else can be part of performance package (just like M sport of BMW). And if it is just tuning of suspension, it can be also part of performance pkg. They can offer same package on normal SHAWD also. I dont think it makes sense for performance pkg in 4 cyl NA engine. Other pkg can be technology and entertainment.

In the past, Type S was engine power bump and performance pkg combined. It is upto Acura product mgmt how to package those products. It is more of how they can leverage Type S badge as their advantage.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:30 AM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
So I had a 2007 TL Type S, and in my opinion, my TLX SH-AWD smokes it in every way. More elegant, better handling (once I put the same tires on it that I had on the Type S), safer, and sooo much quieter. Just sayin'.
I should hope a car that is 8 or 9 years newer is a lot better. I was only referencing what the last Type-S was and how it added a lot of things to the TL, both cosmetic and mechanical.

In the past, Type S was engine power bump and performance pkg combined. It is upto Acura product mgmt how to package those products. It is more of how they can leverage Type S badge as their advantage.
I agree. To my point, if you market a SH-SH-AWD TLX as Type-S, you're not leveraging the SH-SH-AWD and you're watering down the "Type-S" badge at the same time (unless it also includes other changes along with putting in the hybrid system). Type-S has to continue to mean something, even above and beyond their hybrid system.

The only other way i could see it is if they add Type-S as a package (in some way, shape, or form) like Lexus does with their F-Sport branding. Let's use the Lexus IS model just as an example.

IS200t
IS200t F-Sport
IS300
IS300 F-Sport
IS350
IS350 F-Sport

You can get "F-Sport" no matter what trim model/trim you get and ironically, none of them are a real ISF. Acura could choose to implement Type-S in a similar way going forward... but i'm not sure that would be a good thing or a welcomed thing as the IS also serves an example of "watering down" their sport branding. If they're all F-Sport, then by that same token, none of them are really F-Sport. Type-S should have some degree of exclusivity - features that are only available on THE Type-S model in my opinion.

If Acura puts the SH-SH-AWD system on the TLX and, for example, also includes additional features such as a sport-tuned suspension, gunmetal painted wheels, larger ventilated front disc brakes, larger sway bars and better audio system, etc. etc. (i.e. changes the RSX Type-S had), then okay, call it a Type-S.

If Acura puts the SH-SH-AWD system on the TLX and does nothing else, they should 100% definitely NOT call it a Type-S in my opinion.

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne; 06-24-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: With 2017 ILX already released, is 2017 TLX coming soon?