2.4 Base OR Tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014 | 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am sure that will happen over time but it will be difficult to get know by how much. The best that you might be able to do is ask for say three quotes for the TLX; a base I4 model, a Tech I4, and a Tech V6. Then try to rationalize the insurance rates vs the prices of the cars. I would not expect a base I4 to have a higher insurance premium than the Tech model.
Old 12-22-2014 | 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brutustlx
Blind Spot feature I LOVE, sure lived without it for years, they key word lived, but one of the things I think should be required of all cars. It is just that much safer. It should be standard on all suv/minivan vehicles, people can spout all they want about mirrors this and that, but even that does not cover it.. an over the shoulder look in heavy traffic adds danger as the car in front suddenly slows. I have gotten my fair share of annoyed people because I changed lanes, or me being annoyed by others, no matter how many times you are looking around.
Be warned though, the BSI does not reach as far back as I would like, especially at highway speeds. If you just change lanes when BSI is not on you could still get people annoyed for fitting into a gap that should really be maintained for safety. You also need to keep the sensors clean.
Old 12-22-2014 | 11:43 AM
Racer

you know what, good question. if this were TSX or TL, i'd get the Tech just for the big navi screen. but the TLX's base and Tech all have dual large LCDs, i don't care about the navigation as my iphone me just fine. i don't know, that's a pretty steep price $4k or so for something that i rarely use.
Old 12-22-2014 | 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Quandry
Be warned though, the BSI does not reach as far back as I would like, especially at highway speeds. If you just change lanes when BSI is not on you could still get people annoyed for fitting into a gap that should really be maintained for safety. You also need to keep the sensors clean.
Where are the sensors located? I know on the 4G, the sensors were not accessible to be cleaned.
Old 12-22-2014 | 12:48 PM
Racer

As I recall it was somewhere between the rear wheels and the bumper.

There's definitely more room to wiggle when pricing a tech but I'd be hard pressed to try to get two quotes from a single dealer without having to show some of my cards, therefore losing some grounds to get a good deal. the proverbial chasing two rabbits at once and not catching one imo.

I'm sure everyone knows that tech is more than Navi. I particularly wish I had the bigger wheels and the nicer leather on my base model not to mention the BLIS. Those three alone to me makes a good buy but the rest of the stuff I almost wanted to do without and couldn't justify the price especially when I enjoy modding my car and I'll be adding smartphone mirroring to the stock screen once the parts arrive.

If you're single and can allocate a little more to the car why not stick to the tech? I could be wrong but by my estimates is about $100 more than base.
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Doesn't the Tech version also come with ELS audio?
Old 12-22-2014 | 01:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Doesn't the Tech version also come with ELS audio?
Yes! And as much as I wanted that feature my wife only listens to the radio so it was a nice to have for us. Had I still been single I definitely would have gone for the Tech package.

...or would still be driving my 2010 Mustang...
Old 12-22-2014 | 06:57 PM
Racer

I"ll mention it one more time - the difference between 2.4 Base and 2.4 Tech is $4030, not $5000. Just trying to be helpful.
Old 12-23-2014 | 10:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wlkeel
I"ll mention it one more time - the difference between 2.4 Base and 2.4 Tech is $4030, not $5000. Just trying to be helpful.
the msrp difference is a bit relative in my mind for it's just a starting point for when you start dealing. also because the tech package is by far the most popular trim one can assume that just by volume you can fiddle for the price a little bit more. certainly the amount of discounts you manage to get in the tech will probably not translate to the base trim. imagine you managed to pull 2k off invoice in the tech trim and suddenly you change mind and ask for the base with the same 2k discount. the dealer may still make cash from the tech but lose money on the base and say no. i may be completely wrong. the tech trim offers quite a bit of upgrades for the added dollars. just my two cents.
Old 12-23-2014 | 12:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quandry
THIS. +1. I noticed that immediately. I feel like I'm cutting people off if I move over when the indicator goes off.
Old 12-23-2014 | 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crownr0yal
THIS. +1. I noticed that immediately. I feel like I'm cutting people off if I move over when the indicator goes off.
That's odd and funny. My sensor stays on too long after I pass a car. In city driving, the merge space is smaller. I get beeps when I have enough room.

Maybe there is an alignment somewhere?
Old 12-23-2014 | 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^ (LMAO) Well....then I'll refer you to another quote of wisdom to balance my first...."All things in moderation"

I may have to charge you for all these free advices I have been given you.
Old 12-23-2014 | 02:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlxsteve

Although I wouldn't want to live in it, if that was what you were referring to.
I meant exactly that
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014 | 03:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brutustlx
I bought the Tech. Actually you writing that lists makes me realize how much extra stuff there is more then I thought. Anyhow, as I understand it there is actually a bit more wiggle room on the Tech package to work the numbers, so in reality it is not a 5K difference.

This was a tough call for me initially, I mean nav I can get by with on my phone, I never had tech package on my TSX.

The pleather actually does a decent job, but the look of the perforated leather is just better my friend, if you owned a TSX you understand.

Blind Spot feature I LOVE, sure lived without it for years, they key word lived, but one of the things I think should be required of all cars. It is just that much safer. It should be standard on all suv/minivan vehicles, people can spout all they want about mirrors this and that, but even that does not cover it.. an over the shoulder look in heavy traffic adds danger as the car in front suddenly slows. I have gotten my fair share of annoyed people because I changed lanes, or me being annoyed by others, no matter how many times you are looking around.

FCW, and LDW are fine, I turn off the LDW, not useful for me. FCW 1/2 the time I ignore since not applicable, and certainly in a true emergency it is not loud enough in your face IMO.

The LKA is pretty cool, sorta ghost in the machine creepy cool, if you do a lot of HWY travel and like cruise then very useful, if not you probably never use it.

Multi-view camera with cross traffic... are you sure that is not on the base? If not again another feature should be standard on all cars. Great example was parked between 2 SUV's so it warned me as I was grandma backing out that incoming traffic was coming, beautiful.

15-18 not needed, like GPS-linked, dual-zone automatic climate control, I guess I have it not sure what it is doing for me. Floor mats I have all weather mats anyhow that I got in my deal.

Now back to the NAV debate, here is where I come in on this, I prefer my google maps on my iphone, I usually get an email or text message or something stored on my phone then just click to map it, no punching in stuff into the acura NAV. If you have your home stored in the system it is perfect to say go home, but otherwise easier to use phone. BUT, here is what I find extremely useful and have used many times:

example 1-Had google maps directing me somewhere drove that then we run into a road blockage, I guess a tree came down. Now google does not see this, so it really wants to force you that way, easy-peasy quick look at the big screen on the Acura NAV and just see that if I take this turn here and here will be back on route, then at this point the nav on the phone can take over since it has to reroute you on another route.
example 2- You are driving somewhere but are not using a nav, you generally know where you are going but not sure if such and such a road takes you there, so you see the Acura nav and see that the next street over would help you out.
example 3- You are driving to a place you go all the time, you take same route all the time, but low and behold there is an accident, you quickly look at Acura nav, turn around take a couple side streets and you are your way.

Those 3 examples are basically ones where we are going back to the old days of having one of those big ass foldable maps we all used to use, except now it is on a nice screen in front of you.

Lastly, I like our ELS system it is impressive, but everyone has different expectations in music so this is up to the user, plus I never A/B the 2 systems. For me worth it since it adds so much depth, and I have it on all the time.

Good luck whatever you decide, and ultimately your budget since at the end of the day that is what matters no matter how much you like features. For me living with Tech I think worth it, but not a no brainer if your budget is tight. If I could cherry pick I would do BSI, multi-view/cross traffic rear camera, ELS, and perf leather.

Acura really needs to view NAV as not a big value feature, heck 2-4 bills, but that is it... whereas I think they view it as a 1000-2000 value added tech.

I think if they added rear seat heaters in the U.S. and 18" wheels then it would be an absolute steal.

Love my TLX, in fact this weekend my sons friend thought it was some sports car, and also thought I had some Tesla, he is only 12 but hey Acura is reaching the youth :-) Then my nephew checks out the car and falls in love sure he is only 18, but Acura is looking more youthful with this iteration.

Happy Holidays,
B.
Wonderful Post. Thanks a lot for taking the time. :gheywave:
Old 12-23-2014 | 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by baelim
I don't want to play devil's advocate. I do have a base but I would have been mighty fine with tech or advance. Just keep in mind that no amount of safety features will make you a safe driver.
Agree!

I couldn't find the exact article I read way back then but the link below makes it's point plenty enough.

Cars With Lane Departure Warning Systems Get In More Crashes
This article actually refers to the article from iihs.org dated 2012, v.s. the new article is from 2014 with latest data.

To bring things more into context, the lane watch system from the current Accord is camera based which Volvo switched out of as soon as they realized that poor visibility rendered the feature useless. Most blind spot systems including the TLX's BLIS is radar based for that reason.
I'm hoping if the radar based system is better than the camera based system, then in a few years a study on this system can show it's advantages.
Old 12-24-2014 | 05:05 AM
mrgold35

I purchased my TSX w/ Navi new in 06 and at the time it was the top model (it is pretty much like the base model of the TLX now). It offered more power, tech, luxury, safety, driving dynamics, and styling compared to the Honda counterpart. It only took a few years before the Accord was pretty much on par with my TSX. Now you can get the same and more tech on almost every car in the Honda line-up. I'm still up on styling with my TSX; but, behind on tech. I wouldn't consider going with an Accord if you like the styling of the TLX better even with or without the tech you like.
Old 12-25-2014 | 01:02 PM
MiaTLX

One of the biggest advantages of getting the Tech is the difference in cost you would see in your insurance rate. My insurance (AllState) didnt go up a single penny yet this car is 10 years newer than my previous RL and is a lease. I expected an increase of about $50 but it never came due to the advanced safety features provided by the Tech package. Personally i love the leather quality as well, my car is 3 months old now and still smells brand new. HD radio is a great feature, but the sound quality of the system is nothing special (Weak Bass).
Old 12-31-2014 | 11:14 AM
Instructor

FYI - Got a 2015 2.4 Tech TLX -$33291 OTD

Thank you everyone for their facts and opinions on this thread, which helped me in making my decision.

I can say that both the BASE and TECH are great cars and each trim is a great buy depending on that Owner's needs.

Wish everyone a HAPPY 2015!
Old 12-31-2014 | 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by niray9
FYI - Got a 2015 2.4 Tech TLX -$33291 OTD

Thank you everyone for their facts and opinions on this thread, which helped me in making my decision.

I can say that both the BASE and TECH are great cars and each trim is a great buy depending on that Owner's needs.

Wish everyone a HAPPY 2015!
$33291 OTD seems like quite the deal. Congrats!
Old 12-31-2014 | 01:36 PM
6th Gear

Hello All,
I'm on the hunt for a TLX. Haven't decided on which model but I wanted to share some pricing i've received from a dealer in southern california.

2015 2.4 L4 TLX Base Discounted $2,000 from MSRP $31,890 now just $29,890 + tax, license & fees.
2015 2.4 L4 TLX Tech Discounted $3,000 from MSRP $35,920 now just $32,920 + tax, license & fees.
2015 3.5 V6 TLX Base Discounted $2,900 from MSRP $36,115 now just $33,215 + tax, license & fees.
2015 3.5 V6 TLX Tech Discounted $3,000 from MSRP $40,145 now just $37,145 + tax, license & fees.

I hope it helps you guys find a good deal.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2015 | 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

As someone who went from a 2009 base TSX to a 2010 Premium (Canada) TSX and then to a 2012 TSX Tech, I think people will enjoy the extra content, especially the sound system and the warning features. I was going to go with the 2.4 Tech as well, but decided for the deal I got and our climate in Canada that the 3.5 SH-AWD Tech had the perfect value quotient for ME. I would have loved the Elite, if only for the Adaptive Cruise and ventilated seats, but really couldn't justify the price.

Last edited by mapleloaf; 01-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2015 | 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I went the other way, opting for the Elite PAWS rather than the Tech SH-AWD as the latter may be useful for a few times a year while the Elite features as used all year round. My driving style does not need SH-AWD. Plus I got it 4 months ago and would have had to wait for the SH-AWD.