TPMS Issue "Check TPMS System" Error 38

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 12:45 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
TPMS Issue "Check TPMS System" Error 38

Hey guys,

So just the other day my TPMS system started going crazy. It happened a few days ago while I was driving, the check tire light + TPMS System error light went on so I pulled over checked the pressure and it was low, but okay at 29psi. It went away after I restarted the car. I filled her up to 32psi (rear-driver side) and continued on my way. Last night the light came on again but this time it hasn't gone away. When it started I noticed that the system was unable to read the rear-driver side pressure. The other 3 wheels give a pressure but the defective one was blank. I've checked all wheels and they aren't damaged, and they're at the right PSI. The MID says Check TPMS, the nav screen says error code 38, and says to check the rear driver side wheel. I've driven more than 100 miles at both local and highway speeds, but it hasn't "resynced" or recalibrated or anything.

Does anyone know what this could be? I've been driving like normal, there's no other issue aside from the error code that I'm aware of. I'm well past my warranty at ~80k miles on my 2012 FWD.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:25 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Possibly dead battery. The battery is sealed so I'm not sure it can be replaced. The whole TPMS needs to be replaced if that is what the issue is.
The following users liked this post:
Blaze9 (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LNJ
Possibly dead battery. The battery is sealed so I'm not sure it can be replaced. The whole TPMS needs to be replaced if that is what the issue is.
That's what I thought too at first. The error stayed on for more than 200+ miles, mostly highway, maybe 20% of that was city. About a week later the lights gone, no errors. I scanned the ECU and it doesn't have any active warnings either. Crazy, I guess it was just some sort of fluke. The pressure has been the same too for the entire time. Oh well, hopefully it doesn't turn back on! =)
Old 07-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9
That's what I thought too at first. The error stayed on for more than 200+ miles, mostly highway, maybe 20% of that was city. About a week later the lights gone, no errors. I scanned the ECU and it doesn't have any active warnings either. Crazy, I guess it was just some sort of fluke. The pressure has been the same too for the entire time. Oh well, hopefully it doesn't turn back on! =)
My guess is that the light will come on again sometime in the future. From what you said, it feels like you have a TPMS sensor that is going out. Until it does, you should be OK.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Pro

Yeah, it seems like that. I read they're supposed to last a while, dunno why mine's already biting the dust!
Old 07-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Blaze, I don't know how old your car is. On my 2010 TL, one of the sensors went out a few months ago. No warning just died one day while on the freeway and never came back on. The one difference in what you said is that on the MID screen, all 4 tires showed "----" as the PSI yet it was only one bad sensor. I understand the sensors have a 5-7 (maybe longer in some cases) life span so mine was not out of line in that regard.