TL Hard Ride and Tire Selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Hard Ride and Tire Selection

I got a 2009 TL FWD Tech Package...I really love the car, but the ride seems too hard...i can feel every single thing on the road. And when i hit bump or un leveled road i can feel it very hard.

I have read, that the car, just drives that way. Any way, I also heard that some things can be done to smooth the ride a bit, like changing tires (I have Pilots P245/R17) H&R springs and other stuff.

Any thoughts? Thank you
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
The first thing I'd check is tire inflation. You want them at recommended levels (32-33psi all around) for a smoother ride. The more the inflation above them, the harder the ride will be. I'm sure others will chime in with additional ideas. And, by the way, welcome to the forum!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's really just the way acuras are
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
The first thing I'd check is tire inflation. You want them at recommended levels (32-33psi all around) for a smoother ride. The more the inflation above them, the harder the ride will be. I'm sure others will chime in with additional ideas. And, by the way, welcome to the forum!
+1

You can also change tire sizes (in addition to brand), for example a 225/55R17 tire will give you a little more sidewall which can help soften the ride.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Another thing to note.. the TL is a sports sedan, not a Lincoln, Caddy or any of other dedicated luxury cars. Some mags and people classify the TL as a luxury car but it is not really one. It's a sports sedan with luxury appointments but rides more like a sports car and handles like one too. Some people don't like to hear that though.

If you want an Acura that has a smooth ride, the RL would be a better fit.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you guys. I will check the PSI's on the tires...i think last time i checked the computer it said 37? I bout the sucker this past Saturday, so I am still getting familiar with all the tech stuff.

I was thinking on changing the tires for the Michelling Pilot P245/45R18 96V Maybe a 18 inch tire will also help on the ride? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

I think I rememeber seeing either 33 or 34psi when cold. It's possible that your tire pressures are too high, but either way, acuras are engineered to allow a certain level of noise and bumps into the cabin. Bump absorption is honda/acuras worst enemy, and has been for years.

Unfortunately, acura has not yet figured out what people want, so each mmc or fmc has gradually been quieter than the last.

btw, larger tires = harsher ride and/or more noise, as they will be larger and have more contact with the road.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
If no one else is going to ask it, I will.

Did you take a decent test drive on the car before you bought it? The SH-AWD is even stiffer but I remember the FWD being pretty close to jarring as well. I love a tight, no boat on a river, ride. My father in-law thinks the ride is way to hard so he would have rejected it right off the bat on his test drive. No amount of tire deflation will kill the rebound rate on those struts (it will never ride like an Lexus ES-330).
Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I love the ride in mine.. but I like to feel the road under me. I wouldn't want it any softer.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tsgarias
Thank you guys. I will check the PSI's on the tires...i think last time i checked the computer it said 37? I bout the sucker this past Saturday, so I am still getting familiar with all the tech stuff.

I was thinking on changing the tires for the Michelling Pilot P245/45R18 96V Maybe a 18 inch tire will also help on the ride? Thanks.
37 PSI is way too high. I run 33-34 PSI in mine and don't go to 18" wheels, it will ride even harder. The smaller the diameter the better and 17's are the smallest you can go and like someone previously said the more sidewall the better the ride.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I run 33 psi in my 19's and the ride is fine.. but everyine feels different.

The shocks/struts/springs are really what make the ride stiff. The tires can add to it though but the stiffness will come from the suspension more than anything.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I run 33 psi in my 19's and the ride is fine.. but everyine feels different.

The shocks/struts/springs are really what make the ride stiff. The tires can add to it though but the stiffness will come from the suspension more than anything.
I think that the increased sound deadening for 2012 has made the ride seem softer, possibly through better bump absorption and lower noise levels overall. I went to test drive a 2012 base and shawd advance a few weeks back. Both of them felt at least as smooth as my base w/ 17" wheels. The 2012 base advanced was actually smoother, but had larger wheels.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
The FWD TL is the softest sprung model in the TL family. You probably just have to get use to the ride quality.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The FWD TL is the softest sprung model in the TL family. You probably just have to get use to the ride quality.
Yea but I think he's used to the isolated floaty couch feeling you get from toyotas, lexus, caddys, etc.

I've owned 2 hondas prior and this TL is the most firm so far. The SHAWD I had bordered on unbearable for me with the mix of noise and sharp bumps. Imagine what he feels like going from the isolated cars to an acura lol
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Drifting

I must be a glutton for punishment, I run 35lbs in my 19's!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
If you're looking for a softer ride and you're planning on changing over the tires, I would suggest taking a look at the Continental DWS tires on Tire Rack. The tire is highly rated for wear, snow, rain, handling and a softer side wall then the Michelins. I purchased these tires when I replaced the run flats on my 08 535 and they far exceeded my expectations. My car ran smoother, much less road noise, and the price was much cheaper then the Michelins.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
If you're looking for a softer ride and you're planning on changing over the tires, I would suggest taking a look at the Continental DWS tires on Tire Rack. The tire is highly rated for wear, snow, rain, handling and a softer side wall then the Michelins. I purchased these tires when I replaced the run flats on my 08 535 and they far exceeded my expectations. My car ran smoother, much less road noise, and the price was much cheaper then the Michelins.
x2 ... conti dws will change the ride of ur car dramatically u will fall in love with it again
Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear

Does anybody know the weight of the OEM 17" wheel from a 2011 TL?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
6G TLX-S

The DWS tires are ultra-high-performance A/S tires. I have a feeling that they will still give a rougher ride than the grand-touring A/S and the standard-touring A/S tires.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The DWS tires are ultra-high-performance A/S tires. I have a feeling that they will still give a rougher ride than the grand-touring A/S and the standard-touring A/S tires.
Maybe, but my 535 had 18s with a sport suspension which I assume is a stiffer ride then the TL and the difference was pretty dramatic in comparison with my run flats.

OP, go to tire rack and read the reviews on the DWS. I'm sure there are a few Acuras in the mix to read up on.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I did had the tires at 37 and at some point 38. I lower the PSI to 32 and the difference is Amazing. Yes you can feel the road, and i kind of like that, but the sensation i was getting before is gone..well at least 60%.

Now everything is much smoother, the car handles the uneven pavement well, much like luxury sedan than before. Off colurse and I agree, that is far from been a Lexus.

Now, if I have 17" wheels...I can't change to 18" Tires correct? Is a stupid question I know.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Cruisin'

Yes I did a good test drive...but where i leave the roads are perfect. I started loosing it when I took a ride down to a place call Hialeah, where the pavement have like patches and uneven surfaces.....i freaked out! Today I went to the same place and road on the the same streets but with my tires at 32psi. The difference is like black and white.!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 AM
6G TLX-S

Maybe, but my 535 had 18s with a sport suspension which I assume is a stiffer ride then the TL and the difference was pretty dramatic in comparison with my run flats.

OP, go to tire rack and read the reviews on the DWS. I'm sure there are a few Acuras in the mix to read up on.
Oh, you're comparing with the run flats. Run flats are known to have really stiff side walls, so as to support the vehicle traveling at speed even when the tire has leaked all it's air.

Just for curiosity, did the 535 come with OEM run flats ?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're talking about the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires, I would recommend against them just based on my personal experience. I picked them out because of all the excellent reviews on Tirerack, but trying to get a good set has been problematic. Taking into account, I have 19" tires, so the tolerances are much slimmer, it was real difficult to get a set that didn't have defects that caused either vibration or pulling or both. I went back to the place where I bought the tires four times (where they eventually replaced two of the tires as defective) and the dealership once (where they finally did a road force balance) and I'm still not entirely satisfied, but at this point, I'll just use them till they wear out and get something different next time.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
I must be a glutton for punishment, I run 35lbs in my 19's!
Have a friend who swears 35 is the correct psi. Period. He was a tire tech, so I'll take his advice.
Originally Posted by normallywho
If you're talking about the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires, I would recommend against them just based on my personal experience. I picked them out because of all the excellent reviews on Tirerack, but trying to get a good set has been problematic. Taking into account, I have 19" tires, so the tolerances are much slimmer, it was real difficult to get a set that didn't have defects that caused either vibration or pulling or both. I went back to the place where I bought the tires four times (where they eventually replaced two of the tires as defective) and the dealership once (where they finally did a road force balance) and I'm still not entirely satisfied, but at this point, I'll just use them till they wear out and get something different next time.
Many complaints just like this on the Rack reviews for the DWS.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I love the ride in mine.. but I like to feel the road under me. I wouldn't want it any softer.

Same here
I also feel alot more incontrol of my car that way, as i can feel what she ( 2012 awd elite version ) is doing all the time.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Got me a set of kuhmo tires, what a difference.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by normallywho
I have set of these on my car but have no "before and after" point of reference as I had them replace the OE Goodyears before picking the car up. I have not experienced any vibration or pulling (not yet anyway) but thanks for the heads up. I'll pay close attention to them.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
I have set of these on my car but have no "before and after" point of reference as I had them replace the OE Goodyears before picking the car up. I have not experienced any vibration or pulling (not yet anyway) but thanks for the heads up. I'll pay close attention to them.
And you might never experience any of the same issues. What I can say is that the likelihood of getting a "bad" tire is probably fairly high with the Continentals.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Does any one?

Have 18" factories for sale?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Coming from a Lexus the TL does right a bit stiffer. Might drop in some Tein SS later down the road...heard it ride smoother.