Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires, Wheels, and Suspension

Had my 2012 for about 5 months now. It's the base model and was thinking. The car has plenty of power. Yeah it's heavy. But still. Good power. The J35 V6 is smooth. But I want to get the power down better. New to it all guys. What's the best suspension kit, wheel size, and tires combo for the base model?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:37 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
If you want to get the power down better, you should go for the stickiest summer compound tires.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Joel Torres
Had my 2012 for about 5 months now. It's the base model and was thinking. The car has plenty of power. Yeah it's heavy. But still. Good power. The J35 V6 is smooth. But I want to get the power down better. New to it all guys. What's the best suspension kit, wheel size, and tires combo for the base model?

Stickiest rubber for your climate. Best choices to mind are Michelin Pilot Super Sport or any summer tire.

The lighter the wheels, the better. Also 14" are the best for performance but that isn't going to work. Stick with 17" or 18" for most performance without increasing weight. For every pound of rotational weight you remove, it's like removing 4-6lbs of regular weight. So a 20lb set of lighter wheels will be like removing 80-100lbs from the car.

Any suspension will work, it depends on what you want. adjustability, being slammed, etc.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Your maths is wrong, sir.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDingo
Your maths is wrong, sir.
Please educate us.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Tein SA and I have Conti DW for tires....

Like the guys said any good summer tires is cool.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
Stickiest rubber for your climate. Best choices to mind are Michelin Pilot Super Sport or any summer tire.

The lighter the wheels, the better. Also 14" are the best for performance but that isn't going to work. Stick with 17" or 18" for most performance without increasing weight. For every pound of rotational weight you remove, it's like removing 4-6lbs of regular weight. So a 20lb set of lighter wheels will be like removing 80-100lbs from the car.

Any suspension will work, it depends on what you want. adjustability, being slammed, etc.
Thanks a bunch for that info. I was going to probably go no higher then 19' since the car was made with 19' wheels. But I will look into lightweight wheels. Cause I really want to keep the car stock and not mess with it. And if I ever lower the car. No more then 2 inches.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
Tein SA and I have Conti DW for tires....

Like the guys said any good summer tires is cool.
I have to check those out. As of now. I still have the Bridgestone Turanza EL400 is the rear that the car came with. But had to get two new ones for the front cause of damn nails. I currently have the Turanza Serenity Plus and in the rain. They are soild. But when I'm ready for a new set. Theres a couple of tires people have been telling me. Like those you said. The Michelin pilot super sport, and the MXM4's.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I have to check those out. As of now. I still have the Bridgestone Turanza EL400 is the rear that the car came with. But had to get two new ones for the front cause of damn nails. I currently have the Turanza Serenity Plus and in the rain. They are soild. But when I'm ready for a new set. Theres a couple of tires people have been telling me. Like those you said. The Michelin pilot super sport, and the MXM4's.
Question. Where are you located and do you have winters at all?

Stay away from MXM4's they are more of a all season tire I got rid of them as soon as I got my car and put Super Sports on the car and they grip amazing in the spring and summer. If you're looking for grip and performance out of a tire these are the ones to get or the potenza's.

If you are looking for an all season tire that your going to drive around on all year and have winter seasons then stay away from the MXM4. It grips like a performance summer in the winter.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JasonK
Question. Where are you located and do you have winters at all?

Stay away from MXM4's they are more of a all season tire I got rid of them as soon as I got my car and put Super Sports on the car and they grip amazing in the spring and summer. If you're looking for grip and performance out of a tire these are the ones to get or the potenza's.

If you are looking for an all season tire that your going to drive around on all year and have winter seasons then stay away from the MXM4. It grips like a performance summer in the winter.
I live in Florida so no winters but we do have a thing we call Florida snow which is a combo of sand and oil. But I will look more into the Super sports. We get a lot of rain but also a lot of sunshine.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I live in Florida so no winters but we do have a thing we call Florida snow which is a combo of sand and oil. But I will look more into the Super sports. We get a lot of rain but also a lot of sunshine.
The Continental DW or Pilot Super Sport! I have the MXM4's on my TL and they are a great touring tire but nothing as far as performance goes. My Continental DWS on my 3G TL can out handle the 4G with the MXM4's. I will say the MXM4's have lasted nearly 61K miles on my TL.