Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

I have a 2009 TL with 4WD. The special handling package. Looking for a recommendation for tires with good handling characteristics.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Thats awesome you have the 4wd model thats a rare one. Is your tires 245 45 18 or 245 40 19?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
We need more information to help. Are you looking for an all-season or summer tire?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Tires are kind of like food. Everyone has a different opinion on their favorite. However, here's what I prefer:

All season: Continental DWS06 - Good all around tire. Handles well in the summer, good in the rain and mild winter weather. This is what I have on my car now.
Summer: Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Excellent summer tire. Wears a bit quicker but is decent in the rain and superb in dry summer weather.
Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. End of discussion. The Gold Standard in winter tires. Michelin X-ice as a distant second IMO, having used both.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:02 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
All season: Continental DWS06 - Good all around tire. Handles well in the summer, good in the rain and mild winter weather. This is what I have on my car now.
Summer: Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Excellent summer tire. Wears a bit quicker but is decent in the rain and superb in dry summer weather.
Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. End of discussion. The Gold Standard in winter tires. Michelin X-ice as a distant second IMO, having used both.
Good list -again no clue on the tire size you have
BFGoodrich's g-Force COMP-2 A/S is a good value pick if cash strapped
I actually preferred the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 over the Blizzak , not as soft and they actually have mile warranty unlike most winter tires.
If you prefer a better ride vs Continental DWS06 then look at the Grand touring tires Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
You lose a bit of performance for ride comfort.

And wholly crap RIKEN's Raptor ZR at 84 dollars a tire for 245 45 18! Talk about a cash strapped summer tire.

Just go to tire rack and look at them by customer rating.

Last edited by Anicra; 08-18-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
^^^^^ Not just customer rating. Also read Tire Rack's test / comparison article for the tire you're considering, if there is one.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Anicra
I actually preferred the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 over the Blizzak , not as soft and they actually have mile warranty unlike most winter tires.
They definitely have better wear. My Blizzaks lasted about 20K before they were down to about 4/32nd's. But I drive Uber up in Park City during the winter which is serious business. There's an ally way between Park Street and Main Street, no joke, probably a 50%-60% grade. Granted, it's only about 50 yards long but the sucker is steep. During the winter, it's never plowed because it's too narrow. But there are a lot of people that are picked up on the Main street bars that need to get to Park street since there are a bunch of Airbnb's up there. The majority of drivers go around to the longer, but lower grade road since traversing these steep ally ways in the winter is pretty treacherous. Heck, people don't even walk down them because if you slip, you're going to slide right into main street and get hit by a car if you're unlucky. Anyway, in 2015 I had the X-Ice's on and I couldn't climb it. Just spun the wheels. And obviously there was no way I was going to go down it if I couldn't climb it. Last winter I got the Blizzaks. Climbed that ally way like a damned boss. Very little slipping. My passengers were pretty freaked out when I did this but pretty impressed when I got to the top with ease. I figured I'd thug life it and try to go down. I slipped a little. The ABS kicked in a few times. But I came to a complete stop toward the bottom and never felt out of control. That's when I decided that Blizzaks were the way to go with serious ice and snow. Down in the SL valley I'm happy enough with the Conti DWS. They're good enough in light snow and we don't have terrible storms in the valley. But with only FWD and the serious snow and ice in PC, I go Blizzak all the way.