Snowstorm vs SH-AWD and New Pilot Alpin PA4s

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Snowstorm vs SH-AWD and New Pilot Alpin PA4s

About a week ago I put a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s on my '13 TL SH-AWD ADV. Up until this point, I hadn't been driving my car this winter. I took back one of my company delivery cars (a '10 Tahoe Z71) to drive and parked the TL. 2 weeks ago, my brother in law wrecked his 12 4 Runner so I lent him my Tahoe to drive. This led me back to driving the TL. First off, I was so happy to be driving my TL again, I missed it so much.

Anyway, like much of the Northeast, we got pounded with about a foot of snow Tuesday night. My wife wanted me to take her Suburban to work yesterday morning since she was off (guidance counselor/ school was cancelled) but I wanted the opportunity to try out the new PA4s in the snow.

All I can say is wow! No slip, just grip. I backed out of my garage into the foot of snow (my driveway wasn't plowed yet) without a problem. Pulled it forward, and away I went. No drama, just grip from the PA4s and the SH-AWD. Roads were slushy and snow covered but the TL handled it without a problem. I always felt connected to the road and sure footed. My commute has curvy roads and some pretty good inclines so this gave me a good sampling of different road conditions for the PA4s. The PA4s just seem to "bite" into the snow and slush and give me confidence that the car was well planted.

I have always had dedicated snow tires for my cars when they are DDs, from my 93 SHO, to my CL-S and TL-S but these tires are the best yet. Before the storm, I did try the PA4s on dry roads. I pushed the car a bit, but not much since the tires were new. In my opinion, they gripped better in dry than the crappy RS-As that came with the car new. I always felt the RS-As were ok but never had that "bite" that gripped the road, the PA4s do have that bite, they felt "glued" to the road. The snowstorm was no match for the combination of SH-AWD and the PA4s.

In closing, I would recommend these tires to any fellow TL driver that is looking for snow tires. They seem to be a great snow tire and seem like they will still allow me to enjoy my car when the roads are dry. They were pricey but as my dad always says, don't be cheap on the only part of a vehicle that actually touches the road! (He's a retired engineer who started his career with GM). After sampling the PA4, I can't wait to buy Super Sports for summer tires this spring! if the car handles this well with the PA4s I can't imagine the handling of SH-AWD with tires like that.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
I had Blizzak WS60's on my Civic Si that was FWD with a LSD and it was incredible in the snow...

Put the newer Blizzak WS70's on my FWD TL, and it has been great as well. Boston has had a tough winter and the storms always seem to be tuesday nights when I have beer league hockey, and i have had no issues at all.

They probably don't handle as well as yours, and have some noise because of the aggressive tread... But they are a bit cheaper, and a good alternative. Think i got a set of 225/55/17s for around $550ish on tirerack...