Snow Tires or All Weather Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Tires or All Weather Tires?

I just purchased a 2010 Acura TL-SH AWD with the OEM Michelins. I live and work in Maryland and during a recent small snow event was very unempressed with the OEM performance in the snow. Previously I had Goodyear Tripletreds on my Accord V6 and they were great on both snow and ice. Now that I am dealing with performance tires what is the best recommendation? I heard that Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 is a good tire but I do not believe it has the speed ratings for the car. The other is the Michelin Alpin PA3 which is rated for the car but higher in price and on backorder. If there are other options I am open to any suggestions.

Steve
Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
The stock OEM all-seasons suck in any sort of snow or slush. The first thing I did last Nov when I got the car was sell those and put Dunlop Wintersport M3's on my factory 18's. They are phenomenal in the show, and stopping power has increased greatly.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I am running the OEM all season tires, and i am doing just fine. You just need to be a little more careful, and don't be over confident.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2010
I am running the OEM all season tires, and i am doing just fine. You just need to be a little more careful, and don't be over confident.
So true. While winter tires make a huge difference, the larger difference is the confidence, or rather over-confidence of the driver. People with AWD think the car can do a lot more, and it can, but generally people get in over their heads quickly.

AWD cars can use all 4 tire patches, making the maximum use of available traction from both front and rear tires to accelerate the car, as opposed to a 2wd car which uses either the front or the back wheels.

AWD cars work great in slippery conditions for acceleration. Once an AWD car is moving, however, the total available traction is no different than a two wheel drive car when it comes to steering or braking, and that is where people get over their heads. They believe the increased traction in acceleration from an AWD car translates to the same increase in traction when turning or stopping, and of course it does not.

Once moving your four contact patches, and total available traction are no different than if you have a 2wd car. An AWD car does not stop any faster than a 2wd car. Most of the braking is done by the front tires, and your contact patches, and available traction are no larger than on 2WD car.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
So true. While winter tires make a huge difference, the larger difference is the confidence, or rather over-confidence of the driver. People with AWD think the car can do a lot more, and it can, but generally people get in over their heads quickly.

AWD cars can use all 4 tire patches, making the maximum use of available traction from both front and rear tires to accelerate the car, as opposed to a 2wd car which uses either the front or the back wheels.

AWD cars work great in slippery conditions for acceleration. Once an AWD car is moving, however, the total available traction is no different than a two wheel drive car when it comes to steering or braking, and that is where people get over their heads. They believe the increased traction in acceleration from an AWD car translates to the same increase in traction when turning or stopping, and of course it does not.

Once moving your four contact patches, and total available traction are no different than if you have a 2wd car. An AWD car does not stop any faster than a 2wd car. Most of the braking is done by the front tires, and your contact patches, and available traction are no larger than on 2WD car.

Winter tires are night and day when it comes to braking and handling vs the OEM and virtually any AS tire. The rubber compounds that comprise a winter tire are specifically formulated for cold weather handling. Whether its cold dry pavement, or wet snow and ice - winter tires will out perform AS.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Parsrok
I just purchased a 2010 Acura TL-SH AWD with the OEM Michelins. I live and work in Maryland and during a recent small snow event was very unempressed with the OEM performance in the snow. Previously I had Goodyear Tripletreds on my Accord V6 and they were great on both snow and ice. Now that I am dealing with performance tires what is the best recommendation? I heard that Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 is a good tire but I do not believe it has the speed ratings for the car. The other is the Michelin Alpin PA3 which is rated for the car but higher in price and on backorder. If there are other options I am open to any suggestions.

Steve
Everything is a compromise. All season tires will never be as good as dedicated winter tires in the snow and cold weather. If you can afford an extra set of wheels and tires, go for it! Before all season tire technology, that is what you had to do anyway. All seasons just let you get by.

The all season compound is a compromise that must work well enough in cold weather, but also be able to survive use in hot summer weather. The softer winter compounds work great in snow and ice, and even cold (below freezing) dry pavement driving, but will wear very quickly in hot weather.

OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 suck in the snow and even in wet weather, but not as much as certain ultra high performance all seasons. I currently have Yokohama Advan S4 ultra high performance all season tires. In our recent snow event, they were really sucking in comparison to the Pilot HX MXM4s, my guess is because there is very little siping.

On another car, I have also had the previous generation Pirelli P Zero Nero UHP all seasons, with absolutely no siping. Talk about another tire that sucks in the snow...despite its all season moniker.

But compared to a summer tire in the snow, where the rubber seems to turn into hard plastic donuts, any of the above UHP AS tires are so much more stable it is not funny.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^Good advice
Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get 17" rims and 225/55/17 winter tires. I bought Michelins Xi2 for the 2010 TL SH-AWD. 17" tire is cheaper than the stock 18". The performance is not as good as 18" but it will do. The speed rating is lower than the OEM Michelins. It depends if on what you are looking for. I'm happy with the 17" myself.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I went with 17" rims as well and have the Blizzak WS60 on them and the car is like a tank in the snow. Wife drives the car and she is no speed demon. This is the 2nd winter for the tires. Performing very well.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:36 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Living over the border but working just south of BWI, I opted for running BLIZZACK LM60's as my dedicated winter set-up. Even though most of the MD winters might not require it, I'm in favor of "peace-of-mind" over "I hope these all seasons/summer tires don't send me into a ditch (or another car for that matter)".