Shocks/struts vs. coils vs. coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Shocks/struts vs. coils vs. coilovers

Ok...so, I'm not even sure I got the title of this thread right. That's how much I don't understand about the differences between all these options.

I am in need of making some changes with my suspension due to a loose ride at 122K miles on my '09 SH-AWD. (I have another thread on this issue, but wanted to get some consolidated information here).

I don't have to have the most expensive or highest performance, but I want to understand the differences in each.

First, if I wanted to just go OEM, what is the estimated cost?

If I wanted to check into coils vs. coilovers (would also love to know the difference here), what is the best approach and will it solve my "loose" ride issues?

I know I might be beat up for being a "suspension noob", but so be it. Just looking for some help.

I want to get the best bang without breaking the bank as I'm also in need of a couple tires, new brakes and a timing belt replacement.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
So you're asking should you replace your oem suspension, get aftermarket springs/struts or buy coilovers. Coils = coilovers just the abbreviated version.

It could be possibly that your struts are blown and need to be replaced. I'm not 100% sure on the price for the TL but it's probably around $200/corner. The springs aren't your issue. It's your struts. They get worn over time and at 122k, that would be my guess to why it feels loose.

You can buy aftermarket springs but they are just for lowering and make it a tad stiffer depending on brand. Not gonna take away the loose feeling. Aftermarket springs like Tein and H&R will run you $200+ for all 4. But, if you need struts it'll go up on cost of course.

Coilovers will replace your struts and springs. Depend if you get adjustable dampening you can adjust how soft or stiff you want your car to ride. They also allow you to raise and lower the car to the ride height you like. Coilovers will run you between $800-1200. Now, if you aren't into lowering then this may not be the right answer. Most people adjust the dampening and ride height a couple times and then leave it at that setting.

Hope that helps and good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Hogan9166 (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
So you're asking should you replace your oem suspension, get aftermarket springs/struts or buy coilovers. Coils = coilovers just the abbreviated version.

It could be possibly that your struts are blown and need to be replaced. I'm not 100% sure on the price for the TL but it's probably around $200/corner. The springs aren't your issue. It's your struts. They get worn over time and at 122k, that would be my guess to why it feels loose.

You can buy aftermarket springs but they are just for lowering and make it a tad stiffer depending on brand. Not gonna take away the loose feeling. Aftermarket springs like Tein and H&R will run you $200+ for all 4. But, if you need struts it'll go up on cost of course.

Coilovers will replace your struts and springs. Depend if you get adjustable dampening you can adjust how soft or stiff you want your car to ride. They also allow you to raise and lower the car to the ride height you like. Coilovers will run you between $800-1200. Now, if you aren't into lowering then this may not be the right answer. Most people adjust the dampening and ride height a couple times and then leave it at that setting.

This is an awesome response and should be pinned for others. I have just a couple other questions.

Is the $200 per corner for the struts your estimate including labor or just parts? I can look up the parts myself, but not sure what all I would need to include.

Would the Tein Basics (LINK) be a good solution instead of the struts?

Thanks again for your thorough answer. I truly appreciate it. I heard from a certified Acura mechanic this morning who said there's no way the shocks could be bad unless it is bouncing wildly, so I have ruled that out for now.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
At 122k miles, I think you may have to look at other suspension parts in order to cure the "loose" issue. Perhaps, tie rods or control arms as well?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dragonwang
At 122k miles, I think you may have to look at other suspension parts in order to cure the "loose" issue. Perhaps, tie rods or control arms as well?
Yeah. Someone on another thread mentioned that might be the issue as well, so I'm going to have my mechanic look at that, too.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Pro

So, if I understand correctly...

struts for OEM

Springs for lowering only - these are added to the existing shocks and struts?

Coils will replace both shocks and struts.

I'm still looking for clarification on the question regarding whether the Tein Basics would still be better than the OEM shock/strut set up.

Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:22 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
Yes you are correct on that. As for Tein basics. They are entry coilover and only offer height adjustment. They run factory spring rates. A lot of the members on here are either running Tein Super Streets or the newest model Supet Advance which allow you to adjust your ride height as well as you dampening. With dampening you can adjust how stiffer or loose you want the car to ride.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Pro

Yes you are correct on that. As for Tein basics. They are entry coilover and only offer height adjustment. They run factory spring rates. A lot of the members on here are either running Tein Super Streets or the newest model Supet Advance which allow you to adjust your ride height as well as you dampening. With dampening you can adjust how stiffer or loose you want the car to ride.
So, by "factory spring rates" you mean that the ride would be the same, or very similar to what it was from the factory originally?

I'm also adding a few pics here as I took the car over to a mechanic this afternoon and he said he thought the car was sagging a bit in the rear (moreso on the passenger side than on the driver side).

I can fit 2 fingers between the tire and wheel well on the passenger, 3 on the driver and four on both fronts. Any ideas? See the pics, please.