SH-AWD suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SH-AWD suspension

is it just me feelin that SH suspension kinna sux?? It cant takes road imperfections, and makes the car jumpy... kinna feels like it's about to slide all over on bumpy roads. I cant wait to get a aftermarket coilover!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel quite the opposite. While it's not a smooth luxury ride, it handles very well I don't feel any 'slop' in the handling. Actually, I think it is very responsive and really sticks to the road. Could the ride be a bit softer? Yes, would that take away from the tight handling? Probably so.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you check air pressures in your tires?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fusiongt
is it just me feelin that SH suspension kinna sux?? It cant takes road imperfections, and makes the car jumpy... kinna feels like it's about to slide all over on bumpy roads. I cant wait to get a aftermarket coilover!
Bingo

I was all set to buy the SH-AWD car until I drove it.

Holy crap, does it ever have a punishing ride. I've driven BMW's and Volvo's (notoriously firm) and none was anywhere near as rough as that car. I then took out a FWD/tech car and it was "love at first road imperfection." ;-) A perfect blend of firm and comfortable. Decidedly more firm than the ES 350 I was coming from, but comfortable and precise. And it sticks to the road like it's riding on rails. Only the tiniest bit of torque steer perceptable on full acceleration, none whatsoever on anything less than that. And the power from about 30mph up is simply awesome. It feels like you can get to 100mph in the blink of an eye. And the car is built like a s*** brickhouse. Not a rattle or squeak anywhere. I've never driven such a well engineered or well put together car in my life.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 05-23-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yngdiego
i feel quite the opposite. While it's not a smooth luxury ride, it handles very well i don't feel any 'slop' in the handling. Actually, i think it is very responsive and really sticks to the road. Could the ride be a bit softer? Yes, would that take away from the tight handling? Probably so.
+1
Old 05-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Coming from a BMW 545i, the ride on my SH-AWD comes pretty close. In my opinion, the 5 series always had the perfect combination of sporty handling and ride comfort in any sedan. The SH-AWD's ride is a little firmer that the 5 series, but it's never punishing. The combination of the AWD model's sports suspension and 19" summer tires will give you the firmest ride....however, the upside is the excellent handling and traction. (not to mention, the better looks with the bigger rims). To me, the FWD car felt way too soft and handling was sloppy at times.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Olu
Instructor

Ride is so subjective it's not even worth trying to come up with a "correct" answer. As for being jumpy, all reviews from professional drivers (and in my own experience) this car shines in turns WITH bumps. I've gone around some corners very quickly in this car that would have unsettled most other cars.

Coming from my Lexus GS300 the ride of the TL-SHAWD is better. I agree that there is less travel in the springs, but bumps are absorbed gracefully with no transmission through the steering wheel or into the cabin.

To each their own.

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Bingo

I was all set to buy the SH-AWD car until I drove it.

Holy crap, does it ever have a punishing ride. I've driven BMW's and Volvo's (notoriously firm) and none was anywhere near as rough as that car.
Punishing?? I used to have a Jetta VR6 slammed with Spax shocks and springs. Now that was punishing. You pay for handling. Not sure which Bimmer you're describing, but SH-AWD pulls 0.92gs. Don't know of many Volvo's that can do that.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Instructor

It is definately unforgiving but it's a welcome change for now especially coming from a Lexus. Maybe after a year I'll get tired of it. We'll see.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are looking for, what you are used to and what kind of roads you drive on. Coming from a Type-S whcih I thought road good, but was jolty on some bumps, the AWD is an awesome improvement. It is a tad stiffer, but handles the bumps better. It is smoother on decent roads, but is rather stiff on bad roads. I'm lucky here in the ATL as 99% of the roads I use are really good. I found the FWD TL too soft and mushy.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Instructor

I wish Acura use magnatic shock just like in RL or MDX. oh yea i forgot to mention one more thing. the Steering wheel... wayyyy too loose esp on high speed. I kinna have to wiggle the steering to keep the car go straight... ?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coming from a WRX, the TL SH-AWD out handles it with the 18's or 19's. It is also a smoother more comfortable ride.

i agree with olu, ride quality is so subjective, that we just have to agree to disagree. To each there own.

Both TL's are great cars, just what you prefer.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
OP- did you test drive it before you bought it?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Racer

The suspension in the AWD isnt too harsh. Certain aftermarket coilovers will give you whiplash, and certain ones are so tight, it feels like the tires are made out of boulders. My FWD suspension feels extra soft. Wanna trade suspensions?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:27 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by venom550pm
Coming from a WRX, the TL SH-AWD out handles it with the 18's or 19's. It is also a smoother more comfortable ride.

i agree with olu, ride quality is so subjective, that we just have to agree to disagree. To each there own.

Both TL's are great cars, just what you prefer.
lol funny guy.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
These things are pretty subjective. I come from driving Toyotas, and the Camry is quieter (road noise) and soaks up imperfections better than the base TL does. But on the other hand Toyota/Lexus vehicles are way too "floaty". I think the TL is the best balance, although to nitpick I do wish it was a bit quieter.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:01 AM
dumpt status

What is the difference of SH suspension on TLs?
I know when SH first came on in preludes back in 1996, only difference from base model was it was 1in lower with the atts technology.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yngdiego
I feel quite the opposite. While it's not a smooth luxury ride, it handles very well I don't feel any 'slop' in the handling. Actually, I think it is very responsive and really sticks to the road. Could the ride be a bit softer? Yes, would that take away from the tight handling? Probably so.
Agreed. The luxurious AWD ride belongs to the RL. The TL SH-AWD suspension is designed for a more sporty driving style.

I imagine if the TL SH-AWD had 17" wheels it would aid the ride in being smoother as well, but it still wouldn't be an RL.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the complaints I've heard come from driver error. Acura enthusiasts are not used to anything like SH-AWD. They are used to the FWD layout that we've put up with forever. People drive the car into a corner and let up close to what they think is the limit. SH-AWD cars like to be pushed through the turn. Accelerating through a turn will actually smooth most of the issues out. Letting up will hurt it.