Replacement spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 12:37 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Replacement spare tire

Hey ya'll,

Dang what a weekend. Got a huge lag bolt in the middle of my tire tonight in Brooklyn. Thankfully right in the middle of the tire, so can be patched. Swapped over to my donught, but it was risky, 12yrs old without ever using it. Pressure was good, but tire just came right off once I got to somewhere around 30mph. Car's being towed home now, but I need a new spare.

I can't seem to find a package with both wheel and tire already made at tire rack. They have a continential spare tire, but no wheel as far as I see.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good quality kit, or a set of wheel + tire that I can get mounted after delivery?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2022, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
Why do you want the spare assembly and not just the tyre by itself? Just to avoid a trip to the installer?

I'm sure you can buy an assembly from a dealer, but its going to be expensive.

Another option is buying a full size tyre and 1 wheel from tire rack and having them assemble it prior to shipping.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BROlando
Why do you want the spare assembly and not just the tyre by itself? Just to avoid a trip to the installer?

I'm sure you can buy an assembly from a dealer, but its going to be expensive.

Another option is buying a full size tyre and 1 wheel from tire rack and having them assemble it prior to shipping.
Oh no not at all. I'm just looking for any option. Pre-assembled or kit. I can't seem to find the actual wheel anywhere, unless I'm looking for something wrong?

I can't do full tire because they wouldn't fit in our car right? I can actually check... If they fit then I'd rather do full.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,465 Posts
Here's a used one on ebay for $125 shipped
09-14 ACURA TL EMERGENCY SPARE WHEEL TIRE DONUT 17" 135/80D17 LOT3164 | eBay

Old 07-30-2022, 07:12 AM
2014 TL

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Does anyone know if a full-size tire will fit in the trunk with the cover over it?
Have some old rims I don’t use and was always wondering if a full-size tire will fit in the trunk with the cover on
Old 07-30-2022, 11:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by zeta
Ya I'm a bit weary about getting used tire. Which is why I'm trying to find the proper wheel to mount the tire from tire rack on.. I would use my existing wheel but it's all bent/messed up due to driving on it for a few minutes while finding a place to pull over.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:57 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9
Ya I'm a bit weary about getting used tire. Which is why I'm trying to find the proper wheel to mount the tire from tire rack on.. I would use my existing wheel but it's all bent/messed up due to driving on it for a few minutes while finding a place to pull over.
Buy the wheel/tire he posted and replace the tire with a new one.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankyy
Have some old rims I don’t use and was always wondering if a full-size tire will fit in the trunk with the cover on
Try?
Old 07-30-2022, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Buy the wheel/tire he posted and replace the tire with a new one.
Right!?!
Here's a new Kumho for $99 shipped:
1 New 135/80-17 Convienent Spare 80B B17 Tire | eBay
It's even cheaper than tirerack!

Last edited by zeta; 07-30-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am shopping for a new Acura TLX and was shocked that this vehicle no longer comes with a donut or jack.
I was informed by the salesperson that a repair kit used to be included and now they have rid of that as well. This makes no sense if you get a flat you have to get it towed?
What are others doing about this apparently this started in 2018? Is there a donut kit to purchase for this knuckle headed decision by Acura?
I am looking at a 2021/22 TLX.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2022, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kiwi2000
Is there a donut kit to purchase for this knuckle headed decision by Acura?
I am looking at a 2021/22 TLX.
Thanks
Here's one for between $349.95 – $429.95.
2021-2022 Acura TLX Spare Tire Kit. Light Alloy, Compact | Modern Spare
Now go get that TLX!
Old 07-31-2022, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Thank you for the prompt response.
Might you know if this kit fits over the battery in the trunk?
Old 07-31-2022, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

^

Apparently, it looks like it will not 'drop-in' like previous generations because the Acura engineering genius' have populated the space with, as you say, the battery and air compressor?

That, in turn, explains why the above particularly designated TLX spare tire kit comes with a nifty carrying case.
It, unfortunately, might have to be placed in the trunk.

It depends on how much you can tolerate?
Unless, that is, you have the skillset to relocate said battery / air compressor assemblies OR pay someone to do that?
Then the question is, where do you relocate those items?

Last edited by zeta; 07-31-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:18 AM
Advanced

the Genesis come with a spare tire.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

^
I'm like yourself, I would prefer to have a spare, even on the 'high-end' TLX.
With that said, holding my cards close to the vest, if I really wanted the TLX, first I would let the sales & management staff know how I felt.
Then, in a nutshell, when it came down to negotiating the price of the car (if possible these days?), I would focus on getting a reduction in either the built-in cost of the 'Dealer Service Fee' or the 'Dealer Holdback' present on every car sale.

The Dealer Service Fee car sales invoice component usually hides commission % to the sales minions. There's always room here if the stealership is 'hard' to sell the vehicle. With the chip shortages, dealers have the luxury of waiting for 'the next guy to come along' if they want to wait for max profit.

The Dealer Holdback is an invisible component defined as such: The manufacturer pays for financing & maintenance for the first 90 days the car is on the lot in the form of a quarterly check called "holdback". This is profit to the dealer only, the sales staff does not see any of it.

Therefore, there is room in those two components, if you are a 'savvy' negotiator to get the dealer to pay for some or all of your spare tire kit above.
Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2022, 04:09 PM
Advanced

The cost is secondary to the fact that either the kit or full size spare will take up the entire trunk space.
Again, I cannot believe what knucklehead thought it a good idea to have a car without a spare tire.
If I cant find something in the way of temporal spare to fit over the battery and under the trunk liner leaving the trunk empty I guess its a deal breaker.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:06 PM
Suzuka Master

If I cant find something in the way of temporal spare to fit over the battery and under the trunk liner leaving the trunk empty I guess its a deal breaker.
Since this company has designed this kit specifically for the TLX, perhaps give them a call @(801) 896-3395 and inquire as to its design utility?
It would just be a matter of finding out if the depth / width of the wheel at the center (in yellow)...

centrally locates and covers the battery / air compressor assembly allowing the foam try below to lay flat.
Plenty of storage for the jack and accessories below?

Old 07-31-2022, 06:15 PM
Advanced

Thanks.
100% gonna call these guys to find out.
If I find out anything positive I will post although I note another thread elsewhere on the 2021 TLX dealing specifically with tires where this issue lack of temporal spare still is outstanding.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:55 PM
Safety Car

Lots of modern cars come without spares.

Most people don't know how to change a tire. Most people do, however, carry cell phones.

And a lot of cars come with some sort of roadside assistance, as well as "help" buttons. And run flat tyres. Or fix-a-flat cans and air compressors.

I wouldn't lose my mind over this phenomenon.

At one point, cars stopped coming equipped with hand-cranks to start the engines because batteries and starters became more commonplace and reliable.

This thread started out about a 4th gen TL. We've moved on to 2021 TLX's. See? Constant progression.
The following 2 users liked this post by BROlando:
Jim2301 (08-01-2022), thoiboi (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Run flat tires are made of a different consistency than regular tires. Fix a flat cans ruin the tire and the tire then cannot be re used. An air compressor will not work if there is a gash in the rubber or a rim issue.
A much better idea is having a spare than can be used to get the car from point A to B should a blow out occur rather than relying on a tow.
This is not constant progression this is a car company cheeping out on something that is required.
I don't use the air bags in my vehicle and in fact they have never gone off so maybe Acura can remove these from production vehicles as well to "save weight". Same for seat belts, drivers are more likely not to be in an accident as to be in one so get rid of those as well. On this current path we will soon be back to using the hand crank to start our vehicles, that battery and starter are heavy and not really required are they?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Run flat tires are made of a different consistency than regular tires. Fix a flat cans ruin the tire and the tire then cannot be re used. An air compressor will not work if there is a gash in the rubber or a rim issue.
A much better idea is having a spare than can be used to get the car from point A to B should a blow out occur rather than relying on a tow.
This is not constant progression this is a car company cheeping out on something that is required.
I don't use the air bags in my vehicle and in fact they have never gone off so maybe Acura can remove these from production vehicles as well to "save weight". Same for seat belts, drivers are more likely not to be in an accident as to be in one so get rid of those as well. On this current path we will soon be back to using the hand crank to start our vehicles, that battery and starter are heavy and not really required are they?
Everyone, when looking to buy a car, has "must haves" and/or "dealbreakers". It's a personal choice. Since the lack of a true spare tire is apparently one of your dealbreakers, then just move on to whatever other cars are on your short list, cancel your AcuraZine profile, and enjoy whatever car you end up with. Several experienced TLX owners have offered good, well thought out, alternatives. That's all they can do. The rest is up to you.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts

This is one of the worst straw man arguments I’ve heard regarding the loss of a spare tire…

The following users liked this post:
Jim2301 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

I was just giving you the reasoning behind getting rid of the spare.

Cost and efficiency weren't mentioned, but they're additonal reasons.

More reasons? Look at what the OP is facing. Spares are expensive, difficult to ship, and have a shelf life. What doesn't have a shelf life? A phone call to a tow truck.

Also, I was demonstrating that, as a newer solution becomes more dependable, the older solution is phased out. Its nothing new...and certainly not something that should reach the limits of your imagination.

Yes, a tire could fail in 800 different ways. And fix a flat doesn't solve a sidewall gash. What does? A cell phone. No cell phone? Go back to 1800. No time machine? Hit your car's roadside assistance button. No button? Get a job and buy a better car. No job? No rush to get the tire fixed. Wait for the next horse and carriage to drive past and hitch a ride.

Fault tree analysis. Level: expert.

In seriousness....if you can't live without a spare tire...you're within an overwhelmingly small minority of people.

Me? Can't live without a hand crank. A battery and starter don't work if electricity leaves the battery. So I only buy 1900's slabs.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-01-2022 at 12:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BROlando:
csmeance (08-01-2022), Jim2301 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 02:33 PM
Advanced

I just received word from modern spare that their 2020 kit will fit within the area on top of the battery with the tools on the floor next to the battery all under the trunk liner on the 2021.
a guy even got a full size spare under there,

And thank you for all of your historical centric inciteful comments Brolando.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:12 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Acura has available multiple spare tire kits for the 2G TLX, depending on the trim levels (wheel sizes), including the Type-S with Brembo calipers.

For those who hate spare tires can keep their 2G TLX as is, whereas for all others who want the peace of mind of a physical spare tire, can order the factory kit from the dealers.

See below "2G TLX spare tire kit" thread :

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-acura-998748/

No need to argue about such trivial matter. To each their own.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:34 AM
Safety Car

?? lol

You guys are massively sensitive.
I wasn't arguing. Just answering why spares often don't come with new cars.

You're also posting your topic in the totally wrong forum, on a thread someone else has made about a totally different car. I get it. The world moves fast and new fangled stuff is scary.

FWIW, I like having a spare too.