Pick me a tire!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pick me a tire!

My tires are still fine for a bit but after being at the dealership and seeing the price of my replacements, I've been shopping around. I have the 19" advance package wheels.

The tires MUST:
wear no less than my stock rs-a
must have a sidewall that is at least as hard
handle the same or better in the dry/rain

Cost doesn't matter out of the ones chosen below.

Make your pic and explain why. What I'm mostly concerned about is getting at least similar life without having any issues in a wet climate but most importantly I want them to handle as good or better. I remember I owned a corvette and bought a tire for it for the rear that seemed to have a softer sidewall and it felt much sketchier when throwing it through a turn, so this is a big one for me.

1) Goodyear Eagle RS-A
2) Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season (how do these differ from the rs-a!?)
3) Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season
4) Michelin Primacy MXM4 (stock on the 18s i think?)
5) Continental DWS
6) Other, as long as in same price range.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
tires are subjective to the owner!
the best practice, albeit expensive, is to pick a tire....and then if you like that tire...keep buying that tire!!
if not, choose a different set, the next time around.

as you'll get a whole slew of different responses, telling you why a tire is the best...as I can tell you or predict right now, ppl will be chiming in on the DWS
Old 02-15-2017, 07:48 AM

another reason why tires are subjective, is because you have your own set of ideals and or requirements out of a tire...ie; no soft sidewall...

except...that tire pressure, tire condition, tire age, tire maintenance, the climate, etc can all effect the sidewall and how the rubber reacts to the load, you're giving it.

for example; SOME people say the DWS side wall is too soft...and then you get sport drivers just like yourself, saying the DWS had PERFECT side wall composition..
Who to believe?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I'll have to agree with justnspace on this one as well, but if it helps any I'll chime in on my experience with the rubbers I had before.
Stock 18's had the Michelin MXM4 they were loud to me so I traded them for the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ pretty pricey compared to other tires. Great handling in the rain and in light snow. Tire Rack rated it #1 but as far as road noise its kind of loud but doesn't bother me-felt the difference right away so far at about 25k it was great but starting to see the wear on them so I might get lucky and get about 40k miles on them. I keep the stock 18s in my garage now since i feel like i dont really need them because my current setup up is 19's with BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S 2 and very happy with them. Price is pretty reasonable (save 40-60 bucks each tires compared to the Michelins). Grip and response is dead even with the Pilots. Can handle the rain with ease and it's not too bad in light snow but I would go against it if the roads are a little over 5 inches of snow. I'm a spirited driver as well and travel alot from PNW area all the way to Socal. So I run through tires like no tomorrow. Tried the Dws tires on 20's before Idk if it was because of the 35 series but felt too harsh on the suspension. Anyways my bad for my ramblings hope this helps lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Soal Man:
BigDTL (02-16-2017), justnspace (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM

that's neat that you have experience through different climates!! the PNW to socal!
finding a tire that one likes, is an expensive experiment...but I find that's the only way that I can compare amongst brands and manufactures. cuz I know my car is constant. I know what temperatures my locale is, I know my tire pressure preference, etc..

so far, the only two tires that I've had the pleasure to compare are summer tires. EXPENSIVE but it's fun to try different brands out and figure out which ones do what I ask of it. you learn which ones not to buy again...for example, a really really great tire is the Nitto NT05's but were very finicky with temperature and tire pressure. Would not buy again, JUST because it was a pain keeping up with temps and pressure. grip was phenomenal when warm!!! cold or low tire pressure, the tires were very unpredictable

Last edited by justnspace; 02-15-2017 at 11:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Soal Man (02-18-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
that's neat that you have experience through different climates!! the PNW to socal!
finding a tire that one likes, is an expensive experiment...but I find that's the only way that I can compare amongst brands and manufactures. cuz I know my car is constant. I know what temperatures my locale is, I know my tire pressure preference, etc..

so far, the only two tires that I've had the pleasure to compare are summer tires. EXPENSIVE but it's fun to try different brands out and figure out which ones do what I ask of it. you learn which ones not to buy again...for example, a really really great tire is the Nitto NT05's but were very finicky with temperature and tire pressure. Would not buy again, JUST because it was a pain keeping up with temps and pressure. grip was phenomenal when warm!!! cold or low tire pressure, the tires were very unpredictable
100% Had to convince the hell out of by buddy who has a S2k to get the NT05s instead of the rs3 and man he couldn't stop complimenting how quiet a performance tire could be. His only complaint was from flat spotting but that's normal when you baby the hell out of it and keep her locked up in storage.
To me upgrading your rubbers is the best mod no doubt about that. I'm sure alot of other members would disagree, but if you have an expensive suspension and $h!+**y tires it defeats the purpose same thing with having nice set of rims but you go cheap on your rubbers. Just ass backwards to me, but yes so far G-Force Comps has been everything I need in a tire. Wish I could be in your shoes and try expensive fun lol
justnspace (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM

i bought used wheels that came with shitty all seasons, and I ABSOLUTELY cannot wait to switch them for summers!!
this time, i'm going with the RS3's lol!! so then i would have about 3 summers around my belt...
direzza stars, nitto nt05s, and i want to try the RS3s

I live in houston, with the all around climate...HOT AND SUNNY! and sometimes rain

I enjoyed the Direzza Star specs over the NT05s because of the weird temperament of the NT05 when cold.

Last edited by justnspace; 02-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Soal Man (02-18-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I just purchased a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 last weekend. Cost me 170 a tire w/ free install and 70 off a purchase of 4.

t was honestly the best purchase I made for the car in years. They feel so much better than my crappy old Turanza Serenity Plus pieces of crap. You really get what you pay for.
carbonTSEX (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
I have been running Conti DWS-06 for about 18 months now and be HAPPIER with their overall performance. Grip extremely well, great in the snow, great in the rain, great on dry pavement! Hence the name DWS. I will be replacing these with the same tire.
carbonTSEX (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
I have to sell my brand new 245/35/20 DWS's. I was looking forward to running them but they are too tall for my setup. They only have 50ft in them from rolling in the shop and dismounted. Now I have to go with a cheaper tire.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I can only comment on the MXM4. I have them now, stay away, sure they're going to last forever because the tread seems to be really durable but they're WAY too loud, loud enough that I'd never consider buying them ever again.
Mr Marco (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are super cheap right now as they have been replaced by a new model. Need winter traction, get some winter wheels and tires. I'm done with all-season tires. They just don't handle well in extreme cases. If you run two sets of wheels/tires you get the same life out of them anyhow. Had them on the new ride and they are spectacular! Now I'm rocking the X-Ice. Yes, changing out tires every two seasons sucks, but you'll thank me this summer.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelin MXM4 are terrible in the rain and on ice. The Pilot Super Sports are terrific, and the DWS are impressive as well.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ or super sports in the summer, both are amazing summer tires, one with longer tread life and better traction in the rain, the other better on dry pavement more of a track worthy tire.
255/40 is my preferred size due to having the largest contact patch on stock rims, however I was able to buy a set of 245/45/19s for half price on basically new pilot AS3+ tires so they will work for my needs. Speedo will be off by 3% but everything else will work fine.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 and COMP 2 AS are both good tires for cheaper also.

Last edited by joemcfarnham; 03-06-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: font all messed up
Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+ is my vote.

Honestly, if you are happy with the RSAs, any of the above choice will make you happy also.

I used to have a 2009 G37, it came with the RSAs. Horrible tires for a 330HP car.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Got the Michelin A/S 3+ installed recently. In terms of road noise they were the same or less than the stock MXM4. They have good ratings and reviews but I have not put them much to the teste yet.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM
2009 TL SH-AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are super cheap right now as they have been replaced by a new model. Need winter traction, get some winter wheels and tires. I'm done with all-season tires. They just don't handle well in extreme cases. If you run two sets of wheels/tires you get the same life out of them anyhow. Had them on the new ride and they are spectacular! Now I'm rocking the X-Ice. Yes, changing out tires every two seasons sucks, but you'll thank me this summer.
+1
Sumemr: Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Winter: Yokohama W drive V905
The original stock sucks on grip. Noise-wise.. not much of a difference to me. I had the Michelin Alpin PA3 for winter before, it's a bit noiser than the Yokohama.
Once you experience how great summer tires in summer and winter tires in winter, you'll never go back all season...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RailTester
Got the Michelin A/S 3+ installed recently. In terms of road noise they were the same or less than the stock MXM4. They have good ratings and reviews but I have not put them much to the teste yet.
I can probably form an opinion now. Grip is pretty good in rain and dry. No snow if Florida so......

Road noise is nil but feedback through the steering column is a lot more than stock.

Solid tire, very happy I slapped them on.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:07 AM
Advanced

Michelin A/S 3+ , just drove through some light snow, traction was very close to my blizzak ws80s, they are acctually decent in light snow for a UHP tire. Rain traction is likely the highest on any tire on the market. Dry traction wont be as good as a pilot supersport.
Also there are two different as3+ get the 98y ZR version.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
^^ AS3+ are good choice vs. stock. Grip well for an AS. The only thing is they wear pretty fast for the thread wear rating. Watch for it.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 AM
1st Gear

Purchase tires

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
I have to sell my brand new 245/35/20 DWS's. I was looking forward to running them but they are too tall for my setup. They only have 50ft in them from rolling in the shop and dismounted. Now I have to go with a cheaper tire.
How much do you want for them and where are you located?

RussCatt
Old 04-15-2017, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear

I was told by Town Fair Tire that Pirelli Cinturato P7 does not come in 245 that I currently have on my 2012 TL. Closest is 235 and I did not want to go smaller. Other suggestions?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear

Correction

Town Fair was pushing Perelli PZero for that size at double the price. Found the Perelli Cinturato P7 at another tire company and just purchased thanks! Top rated on Tire Rack.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by icycle
Town Fair was pushing Perelli PZero for that size at double the price. Found the Perelli Cinturato P7 at another tire company and just purchased thanks! Top rated on Tire Rack.
Awesome choice! =P I love them. After 5k miles in them I keep kicking myself for not switching to something better. Honestly better QoL using this. (Although, I'd guess many other tires are better than my previous pair lol)