Love the car but hate the stock SH-AWD suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012 | 11:13 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

Love the car but hate the stock SH-AWD suspension

I am driving my 09 TL SH-AWD TECH for about a month now. 66,000kms when I picked it up. Still have full warranty until 80k and extended powertrain until 160k.

What I noticed during the course of my short ownership of the TL is that the stock suspension is loud and has a jarring feel to it when you hit all the imperfections on the road. I mean everything the tires (stock tires on 18" wheels about 60% left) hit on the road I feel throughout the whole car. Even my passengers comment that there's something wrong with my suspension.

I am coming from driving an 01 CL-S with Tokico Illumina shocks and H&R sport springs for the last 8 years and I know what a firm but comfortable suspension feels like. I've also driven BMW 3 and 1 series and the stock suspension on those cars is firm and sporty but still very comfortable for every day use.

So the question is anybody else experiencing this? Do I need go back to the dealer and ask politely to investigate and possibly change all the shocks on the car? As far as I am concerned it does NOT drive like a luxury sedan at all right now. And I do know some have mentioned here that the SH-AWD has a stiffer suspension than the base model. But stiff should not mean uncomfortable. Is that a fail on Honda's design part maybe?
Old 07-19-2012 | 11:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by belcom
I am driving my 09 TL SH-AWD TECH for about a month now. 66,000kms when I picked it up. Still have full warranty until 80k and extended powertrain until 160k.

What I noticed during the course of my short ownership of the TL is that the stock suspension is loud and has a jarring feel to it when you hit all the imperfections on the road. I mean everything the tires (stock tires on 18" wheels about 60% left) hit on the road I feel throughout the whole car. Even my passengers comment that there's something wrong with my suspension.

I am coming from driving an 01 CL-S with Tokico Illumina shocks and H&R sport springs for the last 8 years and I know what a firm but comfortable suspension feels like. I've also driven BMW 3 and 1 series and the stock suspension on those cars is firm and sporty but still very comfortable for every day use.

So the question is anybody else experiencing this? Do I need go back to the dealer and ask politely to investigate and possibly change all the shocks on the car? As far as I am concerned it does NOT drive like a luxury sedan at all right now. And I do know some have mentioned here that the SH-AWD has a stiffer suspension than the base model. But stiff should not mean uncomfortable. Is that a fail on Honda's design part maybe?
I agree. I had a 03 cl-s on tein ss /w every comp tech accessory available and it felt stiff, but not uncomfortable. I have 1400mi on my new 12 tl sh-awd and it has already been in for repairs twice. both for suspension/steering problems. (back struts were blown out) I just got it back yesterday but now the wheel sits to the left, and pulls hard to the right when straightened. I think I got a lemon, but nevermind that..

The suspension does suck, and it will be my 1st upgrade even before j-pipe/exhaust.
Old 07-19-2012 | 12:34 PM
Advanced

coming out from a 328 sport pack and a coilover miata...I think the TL is the perfect of both world.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012 | 12:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Laws
coming out from a 328 sport pack and a coilover miata...I think the TL is the perfect of both world.

I understand where your coming from.. but the quality of the rebound on the damping is awful. Again, there is a difference between harsh and just shitty.
Old 07-19-2012 | 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Not again. What happened to test driving a couple of different cars to see which one fits best?

Acura has a very specific tune on the suspension. The driving dynamics were chosen specifically for a particular feel that the test market approved. I love the way the car rides. It is perfect IMHO.

I can't understand how you did not feel the ride on the test drive (Unless you didn't drive it). Isn't this a major factor in deciding which car to by?

Trade it for an ES 350.
Old 07-19-2012 | 01:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Not again. What happened to test driving a couple of different cars to see which one fits best?

Acura has a very specific tune on the suspension. The driving dynamics were chosen specifically for a particular feel that the test market approved. I love the way the car rides. It is perfect IMHO.

I can't understand how you did not feel the ride on the test drive Unless you didn't drive it). Isn't this a major factor in deciding which car to by?

Trade it for an ES 350.
I always think the same thing whenever I see threads like this.
Old 07-19-2012 | 01:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by i64X

Ive had a 1st gen, 2nd gen (modded) and now a 4th. The suspension is a 1000 dollar fix on a 40k car... Just because the suspension isn't up to par ( which it should be) dosnt mean I shouldn't of bought the car. This model has everything a 50-55k competitor does at a fraction of the cost.

I did test drive it, and the suspension BLOWS. Try test driving 5 or six other makes ( Like I did, mecedes, lexus, volvo, audi, mini, bmw ) then tell me you "love" the suspension. The transmissions and suspesions have never been the greatest throughout the years of this make, but I can live with the deficiencies, and fix what I don't like.

I had a Mecedez 350 skl edition 10, suspension was amazing, but uncofrotable as shit, hence me chucking it.
Old 07-19-2012 | 01:53 PM
Racer

Think before you type .. ;0)
Old 07-19-2012 | 01:56 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

It took me 1500kms to feel the car and understand there is a problem. How do you expect to find out every flaw in a 10 minute test drive? It's not possible. You can't test drive it on every possible surface and type of asphalt either.

As far trade in suggestion that is just lame I'm sorry. I am an Acura fan and love the cars. Never liked Lexus or Toyota at all. I asked other 09-11 owners to chime in and tell me if this is the same type of feel they're experiencing. That was all.

As far as driving dynamics, I have no problems at all it corners well, has good steering feel and handles very nicely. Its the dampening that seems to suck.

My 09 feels like it has bad shocks and if that is how it is specifically tuned then I must say it is a big FAIL on Honda's part. I was planning on getting the H&R sport springs as I think it might improve it but not having aftermarket shock options blows.

So first, I will take it in and make sure everything is thoroughly checked before making any radical decisions or conclusions.

Last edited by belcom; 07-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2012 | 02:02 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

It took me 1500kms to feel the car and understand there is a problem. How do you expect to find out every flaw in a 10 minute test drive? It's not possible. You can't test drive it on every possible surface and type of asphalt either.

As far trade in suggestion that is just lame I'm sorry. I am an Acura fan and love the cars. Never liked Lexus or Toyota at all. I asked other 09-11 owners to chime in and tell me if this is the same type of feel they're experiencing. That was all.

As far as driving dynamics, I have no problems at all it corners well, has good steering feel and handles very nicely. Its the dampening that seems to suck.

My 09 feels like it has bad shocks and if that is how it is specifically tuned then I must say it is a big FAIL on Honda's part. I was planning on getting the H&R sport springs as I think it might improve it but not having aftermarket shock options blows.

So first, I will take it in and make sure everything is thoroughly checked before making any radical decisions or conclusions.
Don't trip, they didn't read nor understand the post.
Old 07-19-2012 | 02:04 PM
Racer

the HT spec coilovers look promising... ima give it another 2 months to see what else comes to the market.
Old 07-19-2012 | 03:48 PM
Instructor

I'm sorry, but if you describe the suspension as "loud and jarring" and then go so far as to say that your passengers think there's something "wrong with the suspension" that's pretty strongly worded, and IMO it shouldn't take you 1000 miles to figure that out.
Old 07-19-2012 | 04:37 PM
Racer

I'm sorry, but if you describe the suspension as "loud and jarring" and then go so far as to say that your passengers think there's something "wrong with the suspension" that's pretty strongly worded, and IMO it shouldn't take you 1000 miles to figure that out.
Dude...

Well lets see, When I bought my car there was 100mi on it and I stated the same thing.. it felt like there was something wrong with the suspension and the dealer told me "I was crazy" until I brought it in and they found out the back struts were bad/ defective.The suspension was loud and jarring and my passengers also stated that "something felt wrong".

Again, you did not read this mans thread and decided to post about your opinion of what he meant instead of just saying "No, the suspension does not feel jarring and loud, maybe something is wrong with yours". If you cant chime in with any input then just keep your opinions to yourself, we love our cars and I'm sure he just wanted info if anyone else had these problems.. which I have had.
Old 07-19-2012 | 04:38 PM
Advanced

Belcom, I just put a HR on my car and I am afraid you might be disappointed. You may results the same experience with your stock spring. The HR IMO only lowered the vehicle and add a pinch of stiff on what your originally have.

I hope you can live with the ride and love the vehicle as it is. My group of friend has no problem with the quality(25-30 yrs old range who drive modified sport car like s2000, z4, etc) and they find the vehicle ride is sporty & promising yet offer a very good level of comfort.

P.S totally agree on what a TL is offering to their customer at a very acceptable price. This is the value everyone should look for instead of the price tag and brand.
Old 07-19-2012 | 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I feel that the ride is stiff, but that is exactly why I purchased it. I cam from a 2nd gen TL, and the 4g has a firmer ride yet feels isolated from the bumps. Definitely not jarring by any means.
Old 07-19-2012 | 04:59 PM
Instructor

Why don't you just take it back to Acura and see if there is infact something wrong?Just for the hell of it?
Old 07-19-2012 | 06:05 PM
Racer

i drive a 2010 and it's stiff as hell...but then again I knew that coming in...if I wanted to float on clouds, I would have bought a Lexus...
justnspace (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012 | 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I bought the fwd in large part to how much more comfortable it is than the shawd and the g37.

Fwd/tech is the moneyshot
Old 07-19-2012 | 07:07 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by NJDEE
Why don't you just take it back to Acura and see if there is infact something wrong?Just for the hell of it?
That's the plan. I expected it to be stiff but was not looking to feel every little road imperfection. I know the head tech at the dealer well and he's going to look after me and if he tells me that's the way they all are then I'll live with it I guess. One more thing I plan to do is take a test drive in another one if they have a used one in stock or try the 2012 model and see how it differs.
Old 07-19-2012 | 07:08 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
the 4g has a firmer ride yet feels isolated from the bumps. Definitely not jarring by any means.
That is what I am looking for but mine isn't this way. Gotta be something wrong.
Old 07-19-2012 | 07:55 PM
Drifting

Taking another car for a test drive is a good idea,it is what i usually do if i feel something is amiss in my car.

With regards to the suspension,many people with the Awd model has complained of a harsh ride,tbh i feel the ride is firm without being uncomfortable,this coming from someone who is used to driving large North American sedan's.

I would suggest that you take a tech for a drive on a stretch of road where your problem is most noticeable, you probably did this already but i will just throw it out there in case you did'nt,check the tire pressure.

Keep a record of your complaint and make sure it is documented by the dealership before your warranty expires.
Good luck.

Last edited by KarKraze; 07-19-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2012 | 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

We (my wife's car) have a 2012 SH-AWD with the 19" wheels on it. It is a little one the stiff side, although we are okay with it. I'm sure the 19's are a factor on ours. I would consider what tires you are running and what options my be better. Tires can make a big difference.
Old 07-19-2012 | 08:41 PM
Instructor

I am driving a new TL with the stock 18 inch wheels and I would say the suspension is somewhat soft, compared to what I am used to which is a ten year old Saab with Koni shocks all around. I think you may have a tire issue, or may be missing a piece of rubber or urethane somewhere in your suspension system.
Old 07-19-2012 | 10:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KPSBUDS420
Again, you did not read this mans thread and decided to post about your opinion of what he meant instead of just saying "No, the suspension does not feel jarring and loud, maybe something is wrong with yours". If you cant chime in with any input then just keep your opinions to yourself, we love our cars and I'm sure he just wanted info if anyone else had these problems.. which I have had.
I didn't read it? Is that why I quoted it?

Thanks for telling me what I should have said on the public Internet though. I'll ask you before I post opinions from now on.
Old 07-19-2012 | 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

My 2010 TL SH-AWD drove like a dream in Portland, OR and like a nightmare in LA. The difference? The quality of the roads. Felt every jarring pothole in LA and there are a lot of them. Hard to describe as it involves all of the senses due to the lack of sound proofing.

Got a 2012 Genesis. Rock solid. Quiet as can be but miss the handling and driving experience of the TL.

Took months before I had confidence enough that the Genny would handle potholes and broken pavement serenely. I kept hitting my brakes like I did in the TL to go slow over bad pavement.
Old 07-20-2012 | 04:31 AM
6G TLX-S

My previous car was a 2002 TL-S with Illumina shocks, H&R springs, CompTech sway bars, and 18" extreme performance RE-010R tires.

On the contrary, I don't find the stock suspension on my 2012 SH-AWD TL any stiffer than the above TL-S.

In fact, I wish the 2012 SH-AWD TL could have an even more stiffer suspension out of the factory, for more handling performance.
Old 07-20-2012 | 07:08 AM
Burning Brakes

One thing that made a difference in my car is lowering the tire pressure. When I bought my car, the tires were over inflated at 41 psi. I dropped the pressure to 36 psi, which made the ride a little smoother. I think the factory recommends 32 psi. Might want to give that a shot.
Old 07-20-2012 | 10:12 AM
The Sicilian

The ride was one of the reasons we gotride of the TL-Shawd we had. Wife just could'nt get comfortable in the 2 1/2+ years we had it. I could live with it, but I didn't drive it every day.

But from what you are describing and you being a guy and only having it for about a month, sounds like you have some hidden problems in that car. I would have it checked out for sure. Any/all AWD cars are going to drive harder and stiffer. But from what you are descibing it sounds like something more.
Old 07-20-2012 | 10:29 AM
Advanced

Trade it in for a 2013 Avalon. /moaning off

Love the ride in my 2012 TL SH-AWD. Got it for the firm feel. 19" rims and low profile tires. Am I surprised the ride is firm? Hell no.

Go for the Avalon, and enjoy; bye!
Old 07-20-2012 | 10:33 AM
Subsonic

i still say my 2010 shawd is not stiff enough!
maybe it's cause im young
Old 07-20-2012 | 11:02 AM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by FanaticFan
Trade it in for a 2013 Avalon. /moaning off

Love the ride in my 2012 TL SH-AWD. Got it for the firm feel. 19" rims and low profile tires. Am I surprised the ride is firm? Hell no.

Go for the Avalon, and enjoy; bye!
^^^^ Too funny.
Old 07-20-2012 | 11:51 AM
Drifting

One thing that made a difference in my car is lowering the tire pressure. When I bought my car, the tires were over inflated at 41 psi. I dropped the pressure to 36 psi, which made the ride a little smoother. I think the factory recommends 32 psi. Might want to give that a shot.
This would be my suggestion too, short of taking it back to the dealer. The AWD cars seem sensitive to tire pressure variations.

Personally, I'm delighted with the ride/handling compromise set in this car. Not soft like a Lexus but not jarring like an M3. Just right.
Old 07-20-2012 | 04:50 PM
Instructor

Yours is a fwd?

My 10 SH-AWD says 37 front 32 rear
Old 07-20-2012 | 06:37 PM
Love Guru

I dont know mate. I rode with a friend in his 2007/2008 BMW 328ci (hard top convertible) and that darn thing was bumpy as anything. Comparing to that, my SH-AWD TL runs like on air. I carpool to work and my carpoolers commented that my 2012 TL is much more smoother than my 2008 TL. I was expecting them to complain, but they complimented instead. Caught me by surprise.

Neither one of them had/has any mods or anything. All stock, all around, well except replacing all of the tungsten with LEDs.
Old 07-20-2012 | 06:43 PM
Love Guru

Originally Posted by stars_fan
Yours is a fwd?

My 10 SH-AWD says 37 front 32 rear
That is odd. I always thought that AWD vehicles required the tire pressure to be same in all 4 tires.

I believe the recommended pressure is 34 psi all around. Mine fluctuates between 33 and 37. 33 psi early in the morning, and 37 psi after my 30 miles commute.
Old 07-20-2012 | 09:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mr_raja
That is odd. I always thought that AWD vehicles required the tire pressure to be same in all 4 tires.
mr_raja (07-21-2012)
Old 07-20-2012 | 10:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mr_raja
I dont know mate. I rode with a friend in his 2007/2008 BMW 328ci (hard top convertible) and that darn thing was bumpy as anything. Comparing to that, my SH-AWD TL runs like on air. I carpool to work and my carpoolers commented that my 2012 TL is much more smoother than my 2008 TL. I was expecting them to complain, but they complimented instead. Caught me by surprise.

Neither one of them had/has any mods or anything. All stock, all around, well except replacing all of the tungsten with LEDs.
the 3 series get compensate by the sport seat but the ride is bumpy
Old 07-21-2012 | 01:34 PM
Love Guru

Originally Posted by stars_fan
I stand corrected. Just double checked the sticker on my car and it IS 32 psi all around in non-HPT TL. Which mine is but for some reason I have inflated mine to 34 psi.... time to head out and adjust that...

BTW, stars_fan, stop showing off your iPhone... j/k mate .
Ant$ (09-05-2012)
Old 07-23-2012 | 10:17 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

It was simpler than I thought...

When I picked up the car pre-owned certified I imagined that the freaking Acura tech (not my buddy) will do a thorough check and make sure everything is tip top once the car is out of the bay and delivered to the customer (me). I guess I was wrong.

At first I looked at the tire pressure and it was showing it in kPa not PSI. No clue how to convert those numbers and the message said tire pressure is ok so I did not bother to check manually or run the numbers through converter. After a few suggestions here I went ahead and checked it at every wheel and it was 40 psi all around... WTF!!!???

Lowered to 34psi now and it's a night and day difference. It seems the tires were just bouncing off of everything on the road. Which is why it felt so uncomfortable. The simplest thing but makes so much difference.

I now remember a mechanic did this to me a few times on my CL when I went for an oil change. Part of their service is to fill up the fluids and check tire pressure. For a couple of days after the service I was driving around thinking what the hell is wrong with my car when all it was just the tire pressure because they decided to top up the air too. Damn it! Don't they know the freaking numbers... 32-34psi. Can't be simpler than that. I am a little pissed off with this. Need to really remember now to tell every tech to NOT touch the tire pressure ever again. Bastards!
Old 07-23-2012 | 02:00 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

I'm glad it was something as simple as the tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Love the car but hate the stock SH-AWD suspension