How to decide on tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
How to decide on tires?

Hey everyone-

I'm getting my car back from the body shop this week. They are putting 2 new tires on it; I was in the market for new tires before my accident so basically I have to get two more tires. Because I have the still have the oem tires, that's what the body shop ordered. They ordered the tires from my cousin's shop, so when I get the car back I'll take it there to either get 2 more oem tires or return the two oem (Michelin hx mxm4) & pick 4 other tires.

I think folks on this forum generally don't like them, which is fine, but besides other people's opinions, how do you decide on tires? It's not like you can keep testing tires until you find the right one. I didn't have an issue with them but that's because I don't have anything else to compare them to. I looked at Consumer Reports & they have the Cooper Zeon RS3 A or S (can't recall off the top of my head) rated as the #2 tire. Like the oem tires, some people love them, some hate them.

As they say, another man's trash is another man's treasure.

Thoughts?

Nick
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I choose the best tire money can buy. I've purchased the "medium" quality tire for half the price. Such as the Yokohama Avid Envigor, but it just can't hold the road like the Michelin Pilots. Even if the Mich's were 3 times the price, I'd still pay.
Of course if I drove a Toyota Carolla, I probably wouldn't notice the difference between a $300 tire and a $150 tire.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
personally I run 2 different sets of tires on all of our cars. One set for the spring/summer/fall, and then another in the winter. I use the oem tires and rims for the winter (I have a truck that I use in the snow), and high performance summer tires most of the year, which are on a good set of wheels.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=156

Choose a tire, read the number, not the subjective ratings and decide how much performance and safety that tire is going to contribute towards. Just remember its not just your butt on the line when bad weather or unforeseen circumstances come up. Everyone around you is at risk.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:21 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just went through this process. Finally came to terms that the Pilots (as3) were for me and worth the money. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (09-22-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Do a price vs performance comparison. The AS3's are awesome but weren't worth the extra cash versus the Conti DSW's. But the Conti's are really soft. Great ride comfort which was what I was looking and winter handling which is good but not as good as the AS3's.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran conti's before and the result was very fast wear, as3 is what I have now, they have better life and grip on braking, also look at the tread wear number on the tire, the higher the number the longer the tire will last.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

You have got to be kidding me...or yourself.
Originally Posted by Vidur Chengappa
...The AS3's are awesome but weren't worth the extra cash versus the Conti DSW's...
You can't say this^
But the Conti's are really soft...
Then follow it up with this^

That is the reason why one PAYS more...

If these are the sorts of excuses you use to make yourself feel better about skimping on saftey and performance,
then you need to re-examine the other choices you have made in your life.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Smile

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
You have got to be kidding me...

You can't say this^

Then follow it up with this^

Well I was looking for better snow and ice performance. That's what these tires were about 1 year ago. Their competition wasn't great when these tires were new and the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS was the only tire that did better back then. Right now its the AS3's and for the 100 dollars more for marginally better performance that I'm never going to notice on the street it didn't make sense.

That is just an opinion. Tread wear is subjective of your driving style. There is a warranty on the Conti's which sold me. I got it through my dealership and when my tires wear down within 50,000 miles I'll get them replaced. I'm ok with that completely.

Lol paying more doesn't buy you better tread wear. It may be better for you but not for me. The Conti's are soft which is why you get exceptional ride quality, which is not something the Michelin's can boast about. The slight reduction in performance when compared to other tires is something I can live with.

The total cost of mounting those tires and getting an alignment done came upto around $800 dollars. Would it have killed me to spend the extra $100? No but if I'm going to drive that fast and be competitive I may as well invest in higher performance tires designed for specific weather.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177
Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

If these are the sorts of excuses you use to make yourself feel better about skimping on saftey and performance,
Also if you want to be confrontational and douchy about someone's choices without providing and reasoning behind why a certain product is safe or not you shouldn't bother being on a forum.

Compared to any other tire here there is nothing compromised or unsafe about the DSW. By your warped logic you shouldn't ever use all weather tires. You should be on studded tires in the winter.

Which in fact places you into the category of someone being callous and stupid with the way you spend money. The roads I drive on are cleared and we don't see heavy snow. Why would I need to have the best performing tire in the market? I bought these well over a year ago when the competition was just a fraction better.

Hell I have less unsprung mass with my after market wheels and that makes me safer, not to mention they are forged.

Flow formed wheels could be considered unsafe on a heavy RDX and with the speeds done on freeways with a lightweight wheel, low profile grippy tires are going to put a lot of stress and cause stress fractures or catastrophic rim failure. Why did you skimp out on the rims instead of buying forged wheels? They're the best money can buy. Same logic.

How bout presenting your opinion better. These are my observations. Want to sway an opinion? Be nice.
CerberusKy (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
I got a set of the Michelin HX oem tires when I got my car last fall.
My previous experience with Michelins (different type but similar) was that they are not great in the wet, however these tires seem to be quite good so far as I'm concerned. I don't race, I don't drive dangerously, I don't brake hard so I don't really need high performance tires. These tires are considered to be "Grand Touring" tires and they are quiet and smooth on the highway. Every tire is a compromise in some way, it depends which characteristics you value the most.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
I also had Yokohama tires in the past, which got a lot of favourable reviews. I thought they were crap. They wore quickly and they were very noisy. You have to be vary careful about how to interpret what tire is really going to meet your needs. Obviously you need the same size as the mfr specified and you need the same speed rating probably V or W (?) Sometimes there are not a lot of choices in the correct size.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Racer

Uncalled for. I think you owe an apology.
The following 3 users liked this post by CerberusKy:
4play (09-26-2013), d1sturb3d119 (09-23-2013), whoesnext24 (12-08-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Marco-have you run the AS/3s and the DSWs? I think it's obvious that you like the AS/3s. But do you truly think that Vidur was skimping on safety by buying the DSWs? Weren't not talking $79 tires, were talking about 2 good tire companies. I think you were a tad harsh on your reply.

This is what I meant in my original point all these ratings are subjective to everyone's taste. We all drive basically the same car, but everyone's opinion is different.

Cheers,

Nick
d1sturb3d119 (09-23-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by gkon
Marco-have you run the AS/3s and the DSWs? I think it's obvious that you like the AS/3s. But do you truly think that Vidur was skimping on safety by buying the DSWs? Weren't not talking $79 tires, were talking about 2 good tire companies. I think you were a tad harsh on your reply.

This is what I meant in my original point all these ratings are subjective to everyone's taste. We all drive basically the same car, but everyone's opinion is different.

Cheers,

Nick
I have the AS3's on my TL and the Conti's on my wife's TSX. Granted she drives like she's racing everywhere but the Conti's have been terrible. In fact I'll never buy another Conti product ever because of the issues we've had with them. My AS3's have about 2000 miles now and have been amazing.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I have owned a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus so not the AS3's but those were some shit tires. Absolutely terrible ride quality and non existant grip if the roads were damp or had snow or ice on them.

That was the initial comparison I made. Against the michelins's the conti's were a bargain. I'm surprised that no one talks smack about those tires which were absolutely terrible and certifiably unsafe in the snow. Michelin comes out with tires that are better this year and the conti's are considered unsafe... Now thats a problem in logic and reasoning.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=147

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by Fadi81
I ran conti's before and the result was very fast wear, as3 is what I have now, they have better life and grip on braking, also look at the tread wear number on the tire, the higher the number the longer the tire will last.
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
I have the AS3's on my TL and the Conti's on my wife's TSX. Granted she drives like she's racing everywhere but the Conti's have been terrible. In fact I'll never buy another Conti product ever because of the issues we've had with them. My AS3's have about 2000 miles now and have been amazing.
I just looked at Consumer Reports and their top rated UHP tires were A/S3s; 2nd was the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric; tied for 3rd was Conti DSW, Hankook Ventus S1, & BF Goodrich G Force. The Contis were horrible for snow & tread life, which I believe is the main complaint that everyone has evidenced by Fadi81 & Devil Dog

As for me, I decided to go with the Goodyear F1s in lieu of the OEM Michelin Pilots. According to CR, the A/S 3s were rated better for dry braking, dry handling, & ride while the F1s were rated better for ice braking & rolling resistance. I'm not sure about how ice braking. I imagine once you jam the brakes on ice, you're screwed and the tire brand won't make a difference.

As a general rule, I'm not a spirited driver except maybe around a freeway cloverleaf or an occasional downshift to get by someone, so I'm not sure if I'll notice that the F1s aren't as good in dry handling according to CR.

I'll post a review once I've had a chance to break them in.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Another decent value in a UHP, All Season, is the Cooper Zeon RS-A. These are under rated tires and worth every penny.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CerberusKy
Uncalled for. I think you owe an apology.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

I have owned a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus so not the AS3's...
You are giving reviews on a tire you've never driven on?

Well I was looking for better snow and ice performance...
This^ is why I have a dedicated snow tire. An all season tire IS shit in the ice/snow...no matter what brand it is.

After extensive personal research and from over 30yrs experience with automotive and truck tires, I can say without doubt that when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for.

Tires are the most important safety feature on your vehicle. However, many individuals try to save a buck or two by purchasing a lesser tire. Some of them do it out of necessity because they have failed to plan or properly budget for proper maintenance or repairs of their vehicle. But many do it simply because they are cheap.

This is not the sort of vehicle that one should be cheap with. If you are trying to pinch a penny, perhaps a Toyota Camry would have been a better choice for you.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

You are giving reviews on a tire you've never driven on?

This^ is why I have a dedicated snow tire. An all season tire IS shit in the ice/snow...no matter what brand it is.

After extensive personal research and from over 30yrs experience with automotive and truck tires, I can say without doubt that when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for.

Tires are the most important safety feature on your vehicle. However, many individuals try to save a buck or two by purchasing a lesser tire. Some of them do it out of necessity because they have failed to plan or properly budget for proper maintenance or repairs of their vehicle. But many do it simply because they are cheap.

This is not the sort of vehicle that one should be cheap with. If you are trying to pinch a penny, perhaps a Toyota Camry would have been a better choice for you.
It wasn't a review, it was a comparo with actual numbers, not just opinions.

Lol after reading your responses I've come to the conclusion you have some sort of disability with regard to comprehension. Its not like me to argue with someone who has no concept of the world beyond themselves so you may want to see someone about that.

As a final attempt I'll try to be patient and explain this again. As I explained earlier, the difference between the two brands were marginal at best and the difference in performance characteristics on the street would never be realized. At the time of my purchase the DWS was the best in the market. The factors that the continentals take into account were of higher importance to me such as ride quality and traction in the snow.

The competitors have upped their game but that in no way means that the Continentals are inferior. In fact in regions without heavy snow and wet roads at best throughout the year there is no need for me in particular to buy the highest performing tires. I brought up the example of you running rims that are flow formed versus forged that can also be considered dangerous given how heavy the RDX is and the stress most wheels endure during their lives.
You don’t seem to be worried about the entire support structure failing catastrophically if you hit a road obstacle or of it fails from stress over time but you’re fixated on the fact that I may not be able to pull 0.07G’s more than you or be 1.54 seconds slower on a wet track.

Like I said earlier, this is what made sense to me. Beyond that I’m not going to argue with you. Clearly you’ve made some great decisions in your life and I have years and years before I get to your level of knowledge and understanding. Beyond that I’m happy with the level of engineering safety and detail I’ve put into improving performance and my driving style. If you’re not please educate us. I’m more than happy to learn from wiser people!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Racer

Marco, you seem like an immature little kid. So many of your posts on this forum are remarks about other peoples intellectual standing, or nothing more then childish BS. Your age is listed as 46, but I have a feeling it is a lot closer to 16. Grow up a little, or man up and make apologies where apologies are due.

That said, the SNL skit is awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by CerberusKy:
d1sturb3d119 (09-26-2013), Mr Marco (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Marco, you seem like an immature little kid. So many of your posts on this forum are remarks about other peoples intellectual standing, or nothing more then childish BS. Your age is listed as 46, but I have a feeling it is a lot closer to 16. Grow up a little, or man up and make apologies where apologies are due.

Agreed the skit's gave me a chuckle too! Beyond that its a pissing contest. Sounds like someone's not been online for very long. Don't say thing you wouldn't say to someone's face.

Its been used a lot but this situation justifies its use. :P

Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

^Meh, I have only seen the show once and I don't Fry could afford a TL either.

Your choice to participate in the discussion was based on your own reasons, for which only you know. If this is the way you choose to join the thread, I wonder about your own choices.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

...after reading your responses I've come to the conclusion you have some sort of disability with regard to comprehension.....
You lost me at your inability to see the microscopic reasoning in your decison. You are to busy trying to justify your choice rather than look within.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

You lost me at your inability to see the microscopic reasoning in your decison. You are to busy trying to justify your choice rather than look within.
Sure sure. Whatever makes you happy and whatever ends your BS rant. Thanks for the indepth analysis of my alleged lack of reasoning.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Packagingpro
Another decent value in a UHP, All Season, is the Cooper Zeon RS-A. These are under rated tires and worth every penny.
These were ranked either #1 or #2 in the previous CR rankings & I was looking at those as well.

At the end I have a cousin who manages a Goodyear shop who says the Goodyears are better; but he's partial to Goodyears to a fault, though.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Sure sure. Whatever makes you happy and whatever ends your BS rant. Thanks for the indepth analysis of my alleged lack of reasoning.
Funny thing is, had you actually read the TireRack reviews you used to generate your opinion, you'd find the snow ratings between the DWS and A/S are within the +/- error percentage of each other (i.e. it's a wash).
Old 10-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to decide on tires?

For what it's worth, I was in this situation a while back and went with the Continental DWS Pure Contact tires. Great traction, lower noise levels, better (more smooth) ride compared to the stock Michelins, and much better price. I am on my third set of these tires and had them on an Audi A4 quattro and my previous TL. I will buy these tires again as I have absolutely NO complaints about them.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with Nitto Motivo. I am very happy and the ride is better than the mich pilot sports as, at least for now. I did not want to spend alot and the Nitto's fit right for me.