H&R springs or Tein H-Techs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013 | 11:29 PM
Mitch-S

H&R springs or Tein H-Techs?

Looking for a mild drop for my 2012 FWD. H&R springs for FWD have been discontinued so it's harder to find and about $50-60 more than the H-techs.

Which one of these will NOT require a camber kit? Just want to make sure I don't buy something that will cause more money in the long run.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mitch-S; 04-29-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2013 | 12:56 AM

you dont necessarily need camber kit if your just going to drop it ever so slightly... You can still align it within specs.

dont waste your time on springs only set up.. go straight for the coils.. might cost more but you get much more out of it..

For what you drive.. 1k isnt a dent in your wallet.. you can potentially spend more if you decide to upgrade later.

keep in mind.. your ride gets stiffer. it does not soften when you put on a springs only set up.
Old 04-30-2013 | 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

The TEIN springs are good quality. You shouldn't need a camber kit with that slight of a drop.
Old 04-30-2013 | 02:07 PM
Advanced

I would agree that coil overs are the best option. But if you are like me that does not want to invest $1100 then springs would be a good option. I just got the Tein H-Tech for my 2009 FWD and have been completely happy with them. I have some BMW M-6 18" wheels with 245/45/18 and the drop is perfect. I have noticed a little more stiffness but a lot more improvement in handling. I did get it aligned and they were able to align the car as much as they could. They suggested I get aftermarket control arms that were more adjustable to be able to get it fully aligned. If I don't then my tires will wear out faster. My rear cambers are both about -2 on both sides. After pricing out the control arms I have decided to see how my tires wear. Here is a pic.

The following 2 users liked this post by AZNTL18:
Mitch-S (05-01-2013), Mr Marco (05-31-2013)
Old 05-05-2013 | 10:42 PM
Team Owner

I've got H&R Sports Springs and like them a lot. Very nice, respectable drop. I did put a camber kit on-I might not have needed it, but I wanted to be safe....
The following users liked this post:
Mitch-S (05-06-2013)
Old 05-30-2013 | 06:56 PM
Instructor

I got H&R springs on my AWD and they are awesome I love the ride and the drop I feel as if the car rides better with the springs.
Old 05-31-2013 | 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Mr Marco has a boner for AZNTL18's car.
Old 06-05-2013 | 08:31 PM
Intermediate

I just put Tein H-Techs on my fwd TL. Drop looks good with my 20" rims. The ride is slightly more stiff, but tolerable. In fact, if I wasn't focusing on how it rode after the install I'm not sure I would have noticed any difference. I'm going to ride on them a couple more weeks before I get it aligned. I will update when the alignment has been done.
Old 06-05-2013 | 09:58 PM
Mitch-S

Originally Posted by Royal TL
I just put Tein H-Techs on my fwd TL. Drop looks good with my 20" rims. The ride is slightly more stiff, but tolerable. In fact, if I wasn't focusing on how it rode after the install I'm not sure I would have noticed any difference. I'm going to ride on them a couple more weeks before I get it aligned. I will update when the alignment has been done.
Did you need a camber kit? I'm getting mine installed in a few weeks.
Old 06-05-2013 | 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mitch-S
Did you need a camber kit? I'm getting mine installed in a few weeks.
Not sure yet cuz I haven't aligned the car yet. I'm waiting to let the springs settle. I ordered them from Excelerate and they told me I shouldn't need them. I will post the results once I get it aligned.
The following users liked this post:
Mitch-S (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013 | 10:11 PM
Racer

I also have h&r springs and enjoy the ride it is a little stiffer but happy with then
Old 06-06-2013 | 01:39 AM
8th Gear

Not sure yet cuz I haven't aligned the car yet. I'm waiting to let the springs settle. I ordered them from Excelerate and they told me I shouldn't need them. I will post the results once I get it aligned.
How much did you get them for? Any discounts for members? Regardless seems to be one of the cheapest/reputable shops
Old 06-06-2013 | 06:53 AM
Intermediate

i had both the Tein H-Techs as well as the HR Sports on my previous 08 TSX.
didnt like the look and drop of the H Techs - so i swapped them.
the H Techs did ride better IMO though...

peace!
Old 06-06-2013 | 08:49 AM
Mitch-S

Originally Posted by Triplebeesoul
How much did you get them for? Any discounts for members? Regardless seems to be one of the cheapest/reputable shops
I got my htech springs from autoanything.com for $193 shipped. It took like 10 days but I wasn't in a rush.
Old 06-06-2013 | 10:48 AM
2011 CBP TL Tech

I'm happy with my Tein S-Techs. Very comfortable ride quality. Handles better. Less roll, less nose dive on stops, more stability in overall driving (from having a lower center of gravity). Great drop, visually appealing. Spring rates don't seem like they will destroy the stock struts... at least, not unreasonably fast, but I'm not engineer.

The only thing I have noticed is it seems floaty on dips in the road, not like potholes or anything where you could bottom out or scrape, I mean actual changes in the road. On the streets, if it goes downhill and then uphill quickly, the car will bounce very slightly with that change in height.

As the car goes downhill and the car's body catches down to the wheels and then bounces back on the wheels as the wheels catch up (on the uphill). I'm not sure i'm explaining that clearly. But that's the only time i've noticed a floaty or bouncy feeling. Otherwise they ride as close to stock and offers the look with otherwise improved handling and driving.

I can't remember what that kind of transition was like before on stock springs... so maybe the bounciness is just in my head and was more or less the same (or even worse) on the stock springs.

Also, I can't be positive, but the springs do seem to have settled a little more than F: 1.6"/R: 1.5". But without having taken measurements before and after, I can't be certain.

Overall, I'm happy and don't regret it at all. While you are considering H-Techs and my experiences are with S-Techs... I think it is fair to say you can expect a similar experience.

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne; 06-06-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2013 | 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

If you look down from the back of your car after it being lowered, you will clearly see the inside tires going in and the outside not making any contact to the pavement at all. The only issue I'm afraid of is the struts could potentionally wear out a lot faster w/ stiffer springs. The OEM struts were not designed for them. Get the coilovers if you can and you will still have your OEM suspension in case you decide to sell it or not want them on anymore in the future.
Old 06-06-2013 | 09:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Triplebeesoul
I think I paid around $230 shipped and received them in 3 days. Not sure if they are the cheapest, but Excelerate was very helpful over the phone and they seem to participate on this site a lot so I felt safe buying from them.
Old 06-06-2013 | 09:32 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
If you look down from the back of your car after it being lowered, you will clearly see the inside tires going in and the outside not making any contact to the pavement at all. The only issue I'm afraid of is the struts could potentionally wear out a lot faster w/ stiffer springs. The OEM struts were not designed for them. Get the coilovers if you can and you will still have your OEM suspension in case you decide to sell it or not want them on anymore in the future.
Struts were my major concern as well. I can't seem to find any information on the spring rates for the H&R Springs. But the Tein springs were made for OEM struts, according to them at least. My friend has a 1G TSX and has had the OEM Struts with Tein S-Techs for 70k miles. No problems on his struts... so I went with them as well. Plus it's a nice drop for springs.

I am getting my rear camber kit installed tomorrow actually.
Old 06-07-2013 | 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor

I think I paid around $230 shipped and received them in 3 days. Not sure if they are the cheapest, but Excelerate was very helpful over the phone and they seem to participate on this site a lot so I felt safe buying from them.