Finally installed TEIN Street Advanced coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Finally installed TEIN Street Advanced coilovers...

I'm going to be honest, most people on this sure have lauded this setup for this car, but I'm not really impressed. The springs shipped are far too soft, and the dampening range is pretty narrow, that being said, with a little time, and careful adjustment you can get close to the control that's achieved by the stock struts, and a make it marginally more firm, but the bounce in these springs are pretty unacceptable...

I currently have a knocking sound in the rear driver side which might be an end link, or pinch bolt, I've looked online for solutions but a lot of people seem to settle and accept it... I won't.

The sounds only seems to present itself when there's some kind of torsional twist, so I'm trying to locate it before I get these seats back on.

Also, I plan on grabbing a set of adjustment extensions, as I've heard BC'S fit in these adjustment knobs.

In short, I probably should've gone the route that I was going to originally go, with H&R springs, and Koni yellows, I was just worried that the drop would be too much, so I'm stick with these for a little bit.

Anyone else don't a solution to the knocking sound in their coilovers? Everything is torqued to spec, no clearance issues, and preload seems to be right on point.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2020, 09:44 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Can't help with that noise as I've never experienced anything like it. But I've had these coilovers for 2 years now and I'm very happy with them. You probably need more time to dial them in. The difference between 0 and 16 is huuge. Since I also have the tein electronic dampening force controller I've been able to try out all the settings and combinations. That being said it can be bouncy when they are set on the softer side.

How much did you lower the car?

At this point I just use 2 presets, 1 stiff and 1 soft. They are 2 front 4 back for stiff and 10 front 12 back for soft. Give it a try.

Last edited by dopeboy1; 07-17-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Can't help with that noise as I've never experienced anything like it. But I've had these coilovers for 2 years now and I'm very happy with them. You probably need more time to dial them in. The difference between 0 and 16 is huuge. Since I also have the tein electronic dampening force controller I've been able to try out all the settings and combinations. That being said it can be bouncy when they are set on the softer side.

How much did you lower the car?

At this point I just use 2 presets, 1 stiff and 1 soft. They are 2 front 4 back for stiff and 10 front 12 back for soft. Give it a try.
Right now, the car is lowered maybe a half inch from stock, just because I was waiting on my wheels to come in before really set height. Wheels should be in today or tomorrow. It also doesn't help that my driveway doesn't have a level shot on it. So I have to drive to a parking lot to get everything level.

The click adjustment is confusing because there are waaaaaay now than 16 clicks on the needle valve. Originally, I went to full soft and clicked 8 up from there for all four corners, and it was like driving in a Cadillac with busted shocks, soooo much bounce.

So, I went up, and at the front to 15, and the rear to 13, that was a major difference, but was still supple and still had bounce.

Now I'm at 18 in the front and 16 in the rear.

So I contacted TEIN, and they confused me even more, basically saying that there's more than 16 clicks because the part the use for the needle valve is from another model with more clicks, and after 16 clicks it doesn't do anything, but then he told me that basically, one full rotation of the knob is a dampening step.

How does that add up?

Old 07-17-2020, 12:28 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
@dopeboy1

COOL: https://www.tein.com/products/edfc.html

Learn something new everyday. Sorry to highjack thread but what is your setup like?
Old 07-17-2020, 12:35 PM
Advanced

I want today on my lunch break and turned all the way to fill stuff and back it out to the recommended settings, and it's alright, a little more compliant than stock, I'll just start adjusting from there once I get my wheels in.

I thought about getting the EDFC, but couldn't find reliable pricing on it, seems like there's so many different versions, and builds ranging from $150-$500.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:39 PM
The inconvenient truth

I think with time it will get better especially when you get those new wheels and dial it in. Did you get an alignment done after install?

I got the edfc basically just because I knew I needed to dial it in but wanted to be a lazy ass and avoid taking the back seat out. Also thought it was cool to change the dampening according to driving style or road condition.

I got it at heeltoe.com and it wasn't too expensive. There's another one for adaptive dampening but that's much more expensive. You just need to buy the correct motors and then the controller. I found the correct motors from the comments at heeltoe.

The following 3 users liked this post by dopeboy1:
Amun-Ra (02-27-2021), echodigital (07-20-2020), Unknownerror0010011 (06-19-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your wheel set up looks perfect.
What size tires and rims are those? Thats how I want mine to look.
I know this post is old but I just got here.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:13 PM
The inconvenient truth

Originally Posted by Amun-Ra
Your wheel set up looks perfect.
What size tires and rims are those? Thats how I want mine to look.
I know this post is old but I just got here.
Thanks man they are 20x9, tires 255/35/20.
The following users liked this post:
Unknownerror0010011 (06-19-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by WraeDeoHed
Right now, the car is lowered maybe a half inch from stock, just because I was waiting on my wheels to come in before really set height. Wheels should be in today or tomorrow. It also doesn't help that my driveway doesn't have a level shot on it. So I have to drive to a parking lot to get everything level.

The click adjustment is confusing because there are waaaaaay now than 16 clicks on the needle valve. Originally, I went to full soft and clicked 8 up from there for all four corners, and it was like driving in a Cadillac with busted shocks, soooo much bounce.

So, I went up, and at the front to 15, and the rear to 13, that was a major difference, but was still supple and still had bounce.

Now I'm at 18 in the front and 16 in the rear.

So I contacted TEIN, and they confused me even more, basically saying that there's more than 16 clicks because the part the use for the needle valve is from another model with more clicks, and after 16 clicks it doesn't do anything, but then he told me that basically, one full rotation of the knob is a dampening step.

How does that add up?
Idk if this thread is still alive.
....but....read the manual that came with the coilovers.

you can do damage to the valving if you turn more than 16 clicks back from full stiff.

And why are you running full soft??? Its going to be awful, as you described.

I've found that on most Teins, anything below 8 clicks back from stiff is totally useless.

Try running the damper at a couple clicks stiffer setting than recommended in the manual.