Window Tinting Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013 | 07:02 AM
Advanced

Question Window Tinting Issues?

Has anyone encountered issues when trying to have their newer TLs tinted? I took my TL to the dealership back in September to have them tint the windows due price, availability of a loaner car, and the "free" lifetime warranty from issues.

This next Monday (28th) I'll be taking my TL back to the dealership for the 3rd time to have the tint re-done due to issues with fibers/debris under the tint. Originally there were clear issues with the tint adhering to the windows which was corrected the 2nd time, but now I'm seeing this repeating issue with the fibers.

These little specs of fiber are on all the windows (except the rear) and are located at the top, bottom, middle, sides of the windows. Two of the side windows have at least 25 pieces as best I can count.

The dealership is cooperating with having the tint redone with little issue, but I've lost all confidence with their contractor that does the tinting.
Old 10-21-2013 | 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

No issues with my tint. It looks like your tinter is incompetent.
Old 10-21-2013 | 09:09 AM
Advanced

^^^ Your tint installer is obviously horrible. Tell him to learn to properly clean the windows before installation. Had mine done in June and no issues whatsoever.
Old 10-21-2013 | 09:13 AM
Advanced

I had my windows tinted on my '13 and I did have issues on one window. It was nothing like what you are dealing with though. There were a few bubbles and hairs underneath the tint. I brought it back and the shop redid that one window and no issues since.

It sucks that you are having so many issues. Maybe you can ask the dealership if they have an alternate shop that they can use for you?
Old 10-21-2013 | 10:44 AM

that is the problem... you brought it to the dealer to have the dealer hire someone to tint it.. not the brightest idea.. they probably paid someone like $60 bucks to tint the whole car to save cost.. tint is something you do not cheap out of.. a decent tint job should cost around $140 and should not take more than 2-3 hours depending on how many people are working on it and how experienced they are..

if you would have brought it in on a saturday and just waited 2-3 hours at a tint shop you would have not had these issues.. but since this is a third party.. i foresee that you will again be having issues in the future..

Originally Posted by cagilber
Has anyone encountered issues when trying to have their newer TLs tinted? I took my TL to the dealership back in September to have them tint the windows due price, availability of a loaner car, and the "free" lifetime warranty from issues.
Old 10-21-2013 | 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

No tint is perfect, but holy cow, that is a terrible job. I don't know if I'd even let that guy touch my car again.
Old 10-21-2013 | 01:08 PM
Advanced

I'm fairly sure the company they use is a larger tinting company in the Indianapolis area. They have rather nice "service vehicles" they drive around. This time I'm going to get the name of the company that is doing it.

The price I paid is right at the same price as independent tint shops around here and it doesn't take more than 2 hrs to have it done.

Taking it to a tint shop would more or likely end me up at the same location as these are the guys the dealerships around here hire to do the jobs.
Old 10-21-2013 | 02:28 PM

i guess its all speculations.. personally if i go to tint shop.. i see the product and the quality of work before i even commit..

seeing is that you just saw nice looking cars on the lot and not physically inspect the tint and how it was performed.. then i can say you went in almost blind..

so you did all this so you can get a loaner for a few hours? was it really worth it??

lol. i guess you live and you learn.. next time.. dont go to dealer for tint.. got a tint shop for tint.
Old 10-21-2013 | 02:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by potmilkz
i guess its all speculations.. personally if i go to tint shop.. i see the product and the quality of work before i even commit..

seeing is that you just saw nice looking cars on the lot and not physically inspect the tint and how it was performed.. then i can say you went in almost blind..

so you did all this so you can get a loaner for a few hours? was it really worth it??

lol. i guess you live and you learn.. next time.. dont go to dealer for tint.. got a tint shop for tint.
I wouldn't say I went in blind. I'm saying that I trusted the dealership to sell a service and product that was equal to the quality of the cars they are providing.

I find it hard to believe they would sell a new car with this quality of job.

My family has had good results from dealerships doing tinting and both were not actually done by the dealership service department. I guess I got unlucky with Acura.

Hopefully this helps prove to the dealership that their tinter is crap.

The loaner I got was for overnight keeping of the car as I have a full time job and live about 1 hr from the dealership. Much easier for me to leave it in the evening and come get it the next day so I don't need to take time off work.

I'll update next week when I drop the car off again and have a longer discussion with the service manager and my sales consultant (for my last 3 cars) from the dealership.
Old 10-21-2013 | 02:56 PM

oh if that is the case.. i guess.. 1hr drive seems long for a dealer.. so i understand why you had to get a loaner.. let us know
Old 10-22-2013 | 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by potmilkz
...lol. i guess you live and you learn.. next time.. dont go to dealer for tint.. got a tint shop for tint.
This^

I'm lucky, the best tint shop in town is only 4 miles from my house.

OP, good word of mouth will always take you in the right direction.
Old 10-22-2013 | 09:04 PM
Pro

Had mine done the week I got my car in 2012 by my tinter. He's done all of my cars to date and it's been perfect. No issues at all.
Old 10-27-2013 | 12:45 AM
3rd Gear

I've had my 09 TL for a little over a year now and I haven't got it tinted because of THESE types of horror stories! (I'm in hot as hell Phoenix, so that shows how hesitant I am) So out of the kagillions of tint places, anyone have any suggestions on how to choose the right one that won't mess it up??
Old 10-27-2013 | 02:10 PM
Banned

Tint is horrible.

I had my whole car done in ceramic....no issues. Your tint guy sucks.