Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012 | 10:32 AM
10th Gear

Whining Noise

New to the forums and a new owner of a used 2009 TL SH Tech for two months. I've heard that there's propeller shaft issue with some models that cause it to make a annoying noise. Unfortunately my car is one of them, brought it to the dealer that I purchased it from and they couldn't replicate it. Figured I'd record it and bring it to a dealer close to my work, they saw the video and heard the noise on my iphone but could replicate it while driving. Any advice from the forums as this noise and stubborn service dept's is driving me crazy.
Old 09-06-2012 | 01:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pknap
New to the forums and a new owner of a used 2009 TL SH Tech for two months. I've heard that there's propeller shaft issue with some models that cause it to make a annoying noise. Unfortunately my car is one of them, brought it to the dealer that I purchased it from and they couldn't replicate it. Figured I'd record it and bring it to a dealer close to my work, they saw the video and heard the noise on my iphone but could replicate it while driving. Any advice from the forums as this noise and stubborn service dept's is driving me crazy.
Mine comes after driving for a bit (around 30 minutes) and only when I hit the gas at highway speeds. My dealer couldn't replicate it either.
Old 09-06-2012 | 06:04 PM
Advanced

I brought mines to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they couldnt duplicate also. They said everything working to manufacturers specs. Pulled of the lot and 10 miles later there goes the annoying noise again. So im planning on bringing back, and ill drive with them to make sure that noise is duplicated. Usually from a cold start it takes a few miles for the noise to start than its continuous. Also make sure when u have them looking for the noise have them drive it down a side road with no traffic above 30mph.
Old 09-08-2012 | 02:20 PM
Love Guru

Hey All,
I had the same issue a few months ago, even before my car hit 7000 miles marker, and the dealer couldnt "hear" the whine either. But in a few minutes and a few yards later, he was able to hear it. Here is how he heard the whine:

1. First and foremost, take the technician for a spin and you drive. Dont let him drive.

2. Turn off stereo, fan and make sure you roll up the windows. I know most of you would already have done that, but still, I had to add.

3. Do not let the car sit to cool down. My car didnt make the noise for a couple of miles after cooling down.

4. If you do let it cool down, ask the technician to drive with you for a couple of miles.

5. Speed up to at least 40 mph. Mine didnt make the noise on anything below 40mph, would start making the noise between 40 and 50 mph, and was very noticeable beyond 50 mph.

6. Ask the technician to listen close to the center console, near the shifter. That is where my Acura technician was able to hear it.

7. If the Acura technician still cant hear it, even though you can, time for you to change your dealer.

8. Apply, rinse and repeat the above steps with the new dealer.

Hope this helps guys. I know that whine is very very annoying. Hope everything works out for the folks that are having this issue.