Weird noise between 15 -30mph on TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Weird noise between 15 -30mph on TL SH-AWD

So I just picked up my CPO 09 TL SH-AWD on the 12th of April. I gave myself a few weeks to get used to it's noises and etc before I posted this - the car makes the weirdest noise if I'm driving between 15 - 30mph, like it's getting stuck in the gears or something. If I'm quickly accelerating through this MPH, no noise. But driving around my development, my car sounds horrible. I don't think this would be the ABS self checking (right?) - I have no idea if the car SHOULD be making these noises, or if it's something about to break (sounds like something is going to fall out from under the hood, to be quite honest).

Any input would be greatly appreciated! This is my 1st Acura, but I have been driving Honda's my whole life.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Hanger bearing?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Racer

It's definitely something as it's shifting through the gears, like it can't decide which one it wants to be in. The RPM's rev up, and then drop down. I'm calling the dealership and see if they will check it out. Warranty? I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
should do a video.. or have dealer check it
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Racer

Dropped my car off at Frankel Acura bright and early on Tuesday morning - they called a few hours later, and let me know that the service tech had taken the car out for a test drive and was able to recreate the sound I was hearing (good!). They said that they would call me back as soon as they found something, and how we would proceed.

Another hour later, and the verdict is in: EXTREMELY dirty transmission fluid, which also was on the low side. Recommended a full flush and replacement, as well as an oil change (I was at 30%). I agreed, and asked if this was something that was taken care of during the CPO process. The service tech said that at their dealership, yes, they change ALL fluids, and check everything. She said that there was no way that my delivering dealership touched the transmission fluid, as it was under the level it was supposed to be (I've only had the car since the middle of April). She said there was no leak, so it must have been something that was overlooked or not looked at during the inspection for CPO. She encouraged me to call the delivering dealership, and I have a call into them, but really, what can they do??

The whole thing set me back $220 - the service dept has some specials going on ($20 off $100 of service, $39 oil change), so it could have been worse. The car sounds excellent now, so I'm happy

Oh, the service dept also took off the delivering dealer's "sticker" on the trunk, fixed a squeaky rear driver's side window (dirty in the track), and washed her up (including doing the wheels!).

It was a great first experience w/ a dealership I now feel very confident about returning to for service, and eventually, another TL.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am glad they fixed and did the right thing for you! IMO, you should have had to pay for the oil change only though... but, if you are happy, then I am tickled for you!!

It's nice to hear they the experience was a good one. I like going to my dealership too. They all call me by my first name and treat me great!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I am glad they fixed and did the right thing for you! IMO, you should have had to pay for the oil change only though... but, if you are happy, then I am tickled for you!!

It's nice to hear they the experience was a good one. I like going to my dealership too. They all call me by my first name and treat me great!
I did ask about that - who's responsible for the payment. I'm under 50k in miles, but that doesn't cover "maintenance" items. That's why she suggested I call the delivering dealership. They are an hour away in Annapolis, MD, so I really don't know what they can do for me - I'm not driving down there for service, or a free car wash, so what can they offer??

The funny thing is, the sales manager at the Annapolis dealership used to work at Frankel and highly recommended them for all my service needs - you would have thought that he knew how rigorous they are in checking out the cars that come through their dealership and known they would have picked up on the issue right away.

Anyway, Frankel definitely proved themselves and lived up to the reputation - I'll definitely be returning. I even told the service tech the only reason I bought from where I did was because they had EXACTLY what I was looking for, and she said she totally understood. Good thing they don't "hold it against me" for purchasing somewhere else - although, doesn't a dealership make more off of service than they do sales??