Uneven low speed shifts....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Uneven low speed shifts....

Hi everyone,
I have a 2013 SH-AWD Tech with the 6 Sp Auto and overall it is a great car. I have been noticing since day one rough shifts at low speeds (mostly as accelerating). The funny thing is it is not every time. But when it does happen it just feels down right odd that the shift from 1st to 2nd (or maybe 2nd to 3rd since it is in Auto I don't see the gears) are a bit jerky. All other shifts are silky smooth.

I am coming from on 06 BMW 325 Ci Conv which my wife now drives. That car was and is smooth through the entire range.

Can anything help this? The car is just 6 weeks old so if it is an issue I need to get it dealt with right away.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.
Rich
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2012 that does the same thing... Mine shifts better when its cold leading me to think that a different trans fluid would resolve this issue.
Ive driven a few of these cars and the shifts where all similarly poor.
Also I find if youre coming to a stop and then accelerate again before completely stopping that the transmission seems to get caught between gears and feels like crap.
Ive learnt to adapt and to drive in such a way that the shifts are half descent.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had a similar problem with my '13. Starting out, or accelerating from a slow turn, the car seems to bog down or hesitate. It almost feels like the cars I first drove in the late '70's. The problem goes away if you drive with a heavier right foot, which seems contrary to the reason for the 6 speed--better gas mileage. Gonig to address it at the first service.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Intermediate

I will be asking about it as well. Also goes away, or seems better in S mode. Although, in S mode you never get into 6th at normal speeds. Used to keep my 3 Series in S mode most of the time. I don't use it much in the TL.
Rich
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
^^ Please keep us updated, the most likely response from the dealer will be.........normal characteristic of the vehicle.

The Autobox in the Tl is not known for its seamless shift quality.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KarKraze
^^ Please keep us updated, the most likely response from the dealer will be.........normal characteristic of the vehicle.

The Autobox in the Tl is not known for its seamless shift quality.
What is odd is that after the first and sometimes second shift, all others are VERY smooth... at least that has been my experience.
Rich
Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad to hear, well, kind of, that others are experiencing the same. My 2012 does this too. Even more annoying lately, and this seems new, is I've noticed when traveling at about 40 mph cruising, the transmission wants to be in 5th. Problem is the RPM's will bounce up and down like it's running rough, at about 1500 RPM's or so...way too low IMO. As I'm writing this, maybe I should have started a new thread. Sorry if I'm deviating a bit off topic. This seems more torque converter related but I don't believe the 2012 and newer models are involved in technical service bulletin to repair that.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guy, glad I found this today. A good friend of mine works as an Acura Technician in the Pittsburgh area and had my '12 SH-AWD Tech TL yesterday and verified all the things you guys are stating with my car. I knew it wasn't right from the get go, it feels as though the car doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. Rest assured he doesn't think this issue is a mechanical issue. He has said their shop has only replaced one of these 6 speed autos to date. Any ways, he is calling the Tech line on Monday to see what their thoughts are. When it first started happening I took the car into the dealership and there was an update for the transmission, (so if you haven't had this done yet, this is the first place to start). It continued to do it, so I honestly thought it was something with the AWD system, this is the first car I've ever owned with this capability. With the sophistication with this system I just thought it was how it "locked" up or something. After speaking with him yesterday it's not how it's supposed to be operating he thinks it's the computer so he may just replace that. I should be able to get this done soon, maybe even this week I will keep you guys up to date on my progress.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the exact same issues on my 2012 AWD, the surging RPM just started a few weeks ago, very annoyed with the auto trans on this car that's for sure. Please keep us updated, I'll take mine back eventually, but it's 1.5 hours to the closest dealership!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Mine seems to do this to on the 1-2 shift. If it is below 2000 rpm it seems to bog then take a second to feed the power back in... great when merging on a right turn.

Coming from a car from a ZF box.. not use to this. The rest of the shifts are fine except the 1-2.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear

Hey guys, I don't have any updates, I guess my buddy has been pretty busy and really hasn't had the time to investigate...any ways I can't agree more the 1-2 shift is the most annoying followed by a close second the torque convertor fluttering in between 5th and 6th, but this is really starting to test my patience to say the least...
Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2012 TL Tech. Just left the Acura dealer in Westmont, IL where I told him about this issue. He said that the computer which controls the 6-speed trans and torgue converter is designed to seek the gear with the most torgue and best mpg. The rapid movement is the trans gears changing up and down to get the optimum mpg. This is normal now with this trans. In the sport mode this will go away, but you sacrifice mpg.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (08-15-2013)