Two Issues: Engine Knocking and Transmission Oil had lot of Metallic wear d

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:01 AM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Two Issues: Engine Knocking and Transmission Oil had lot of Metallic wear d

Engine Knocking: During cold start running no issues but after running it for few minutes like going for groceries where it sits for 10-15 minutes then I start and accelerate I get this knocking sound. It goes away after I rev it over 3000 rpM. This metallic rattle happen in low speeds/rpm and then goes away seems like ecm adjust the timing.
I tried 94 octane still the same is anything wrong with the knock sensor that listens to this sound and does not respond quickly?
anyone having this issue? I tried Acura/Honda Customer support but no help. It started happening at 80000 kms and now I have 144000kms

Transmission Issue- During cold start/First run I get this jerk when the transmission shifts from 1st to second gear and the it goes away after it warms up. It seems to getting worse and worse. from last 40k kilometers. Transmission oil was flushed at 88k and then a drain and fill at 138k all at dealership.
Recently I did the drain and fill and found lot of metallic shavings and stuff like sand. Did 2x. I added Lucas transmission fix as well it smoothened the shifts but Should I be concerned about the transmission failure in recent future?
How much shavings is normal? Should I install a magnetic in-line filter
like Magnefine 3/8 Inch Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter
have some one done this??
should the transmission filter be changed? Can I change it myself?

Please help
Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 PM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
These must be isolated issues that no one has any comments
Old 05-26-2016, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
you may have a failing torque converter that is not engaging properly. If I recall the lock up for it is around 2500RPMS so the knocking stopping at 3K RPMS could be the torque converter making the noise.

I'd also explain the metallic particles in the fluid. However if there is other material it could be clutch material from inside the trans from the metal shavings destroying the clutch packs.

The trans fluid should be replaced every 30K Miles (48K KM). Also there was a recall/tsb for the torque converters that extended the warranty and there was a software update too. You should check with your dealer and see if it was performed bc the warranty is 100K miles to my knowledge.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue too, I've been struggling with oil consumption, done the test. The Dealer told me just to add oil when needed. I have to add oil every 1000 miles. a month ago I heard all these noise coming from the engine, I thought I need a valve adjustment I had one done. That noise stop, not I have the nocking when I accelerate over 3k took it back they took the head apart and look at the front camshaft it was damaged. I had to have it replaced. I spent $500 for the adjustment and had to spend another $1300 to replace the Cam. so I may save you some money, I hade mine done at the Honda dealer, it was cheaper. Plus I have a friend that works there and I got his discount. You may need to have it check, check your Camshaft. I also report this to the AHM in Cali. I tried to make them reimburse me, because they knew about the oil consumption issue. Have it check out. I have the 3.7 it could be an different issue.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LADHAR
Transmission Issue- During cold start/First run I get this jerk when the transmission shifts from 1st to second gear and the it goes away after it warms up. It seems to getting worse and worse. from last 40k kilometers. Transmission oil was flushed at 88k and then a drain and fill at 138k all at dealership.
I have this same issue. Most recent software update did not fix it.