Turn signal stalk

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turn signal stalk

I don't think I've heard this issue from anyone yet, so I don't know if it's just me or a legitimate issue...

Basically, I feel like something is off with the turn signal stalk's action when signaling a right turn. While flipping the stalk down to signal a left turn results in solid action as it locks into the bottom-most position with no resulting play (I can't push the stalk down any further). However, signaling a right turn is entirely different. The action feels week. There's no solid lock and when the stalk is in the right turn position it still has a fair bit of play in that I can continue to push it up another inch or so and when I let go it returns back to where it was. The more serious issue with this is that, when signaling this right hand turn, maybe 10% of the time the stalk won't lock in the position and immediately snaps back to the neutral position. When that happens I usually have to try two or three times before I finally get it to lock (by then, my lane change or whatever is often complete).

I tried reporting this to the dealership (one of the two I go to) and they flipped it a bunch of times and didn't see it not locking, so they said there was nothing wrong. To me, it just feels completely wrong, but I don't have another TL to compare to (I'll try to test another TL when I bring it to the other dealership).

Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely not normal: mine engages with a solid click in either direction and stays there. I think there's something wrong with the detent inside the mechanism, so that it barely engages and pops out easily. Another possibility: something has gotten entangled with the stalk at the base (where it protrudes from the steering column) and prevents it from going all the way up. This could be anything, from dirt to the wire from a hanging tag that someone (parking attendant, dealership or mechanic) had left hanging from the stalk and then ripped out. Come to think of it, it could even be a manufacturer tag or warning (several new cars come with these hanging from the stalks, though mine did not). Either way a good Acura service department will be able to feel the difference between turning the stalk down and up, and will replace the mechanism under warranty. Good luck !
Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealership replaced the combo switch yesterday and I picked it up today. It's definitely feeling more "right" now, but I'll need more time with it to determine whether the more dangerous issue (the arm not locking when turning right) has been eradicated and that the switch doesn't lose tension over time.