Transmission System: P0980 and VSA: 83

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission System: P0980 and VSA: 83

2011 TL SH-AWD Tech with 1200 miles bought last month.

I was swapping out my 9005 high beam Luminc Pure White bulbs (hated the way they looked in the reflective housing when the car was off...dark blue!) for Sylvania halogen bulbs. On the passenger side, there is a large wiring harness that is in the way to access the passenger side 9005 bulb. This harness is the one next to the coolant reservoir. I disconnected this large wiring harness plug without issue and installed the Sylvania bulb. I forgot to reconnect the plug and start up the car. I immediately see the following errors:

I also got a crazy Hill Assist error in the display between the speedo and tach.

Doh. I then realized I forgot to connect the plug that I had disconnected to gain access to the passenger 9005 bulb. So I shut the car off and reconnect the plug and hoped the error codes would go away, but none of it did. I turn the car off and on, and nothing. I go for a 5 miles drive for 15 min to see if the errors would go away, but they did not.

During my drive, I notice zero difference in performance. The transmission works fine in all gears. Manual shifting is normal. I got up to 80 mph. The car pulls hard. I can still disable and enable VSA no problem. In other words, no limp mode.

Then I disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and wait 5 min. I reconnect the battery and start the car up. Ahhh...all of the errors showing up on in the display between the speedo and tach have disappeared. However, the two Transmission System: P0980 and Vehicle Stability Assist: 83 code still show up under Messages, Diagnostic. [Side Note: Interesting is that my phone still paired, my phonebook still stayed, memory seats still remembered, radio presets still retained, and garage door home link button still worked. It's like none of the settings on the car's memory were rests. I did have to enter my Radio Code though.]

I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with the car and that the code needs to be cleared by the dealership. I'm going there first thing in the morning.

But the question is, has anybody experienced this problem before? This was all because I forgot to reconnect that stupid wiring harness before I started the car. Note, I've swapped out my 9005 bulbs before (and remembered to reconnect that plug) when I was swapping out stock bulbs for the Lumincs without issue.

Also, anybody know the function of the wiring harness I disconnected and exactly what device it plugs into? Based on the codes, it seems to control the transmission solenoid and the VSA.

Last edited by Smoothie97; 03-01-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you highlight the message on the navi screen and then enter into it will it let you delete it?The connector was proably for the main harness to the trans.All the presets and other info that was still retained after reconnecting the battery is stored in the ecm and doesn't get lost unless the ecm needs to be replaced.The dealer should clear the codes for you unless you can delete them manually.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Racer

Clicking on each message only gave me the following options: (1) Call Acura Dealer; (2) Voice; (3) Locate Nearest Acura Dealer. The "Delete" option was grayed-out.

Good thing to know that you don't lose any of your settings when disconnecting the battery!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Racer

Just got back from dealer. The dealer did a quick diagnostic and didn't find anything wrong. They just cleared the codes. Everything seems to be back to normal.