Transmission Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission Shifting

I just recently purchased a fourth gen TL and just have some questions about the way the car shifts. I had it at the Acura dealership to have the recalls taken care of for the torque converter. They did the fluid exchange and the software update which fixed the shudder issue (I believe). I'm just concerned with the way the car downshifts. I know it has the throttle blipping/rev matching feature to try and be sporty but when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd gear it just seems harsh and sometimes I can really feel the shifts as it jerks the car. Is this normal behavior for these cars?
Old 01-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kjpantano
I just recently purchased a fourth gen TL and just have some questions about the way the car shifts. I had it at the Acura dealership to have the recalls taken care of for the torque converter. They did the fluid exchange and the software update which fixed the shudder issue (I believe). I'm just concerned with the way the car downshifts. I know it has the throttle blipping/rev matching feature to try and be sporty but when it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd gear it just seems harsh and sometimes I can really feel the shifts as it jerks the car. Is this normal behavior for these cars?
Mine does the same thing and I hate it. Sometimes it's like someone taps the brake for a split second, which causes me to lunge forward. It hesitates when accelerating quickly as well if I don't have the accelerator pedal floored completely. I miss my G35!!!
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
This is not normal.
What year, what model?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Mine is a 2011 SH-AWD.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:27 PM
10th Gear

Also, when the vehicle upshifts, the engine RPM seems to stay high for a few seconds as the transmission shifts. Not sure if this normal either.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 646 Likes on 348 Posts
I had these issues and still feel it from time to time. The dealer is going to tell you everything is within range. The dealer did the fluid exchange and update. I went back 3 months later with the same issues and also the hard shift from P to D. They concluded everything was within spec. lol. Same symptoms, but all of a sudden it's all "normal". Also, the car has the feel of lag when trying to punch it from a dead stop like it's jerking. Again this shouldn't be, but the dealer is going to say it's normal. As you drive the car you will come to anticipate this and it too will become your "normal" feel as far as the AWD. When I drove the 3.5L I didn't have these issues. It all goes back to the torque converter.
The following users liked this post:
kjpantano (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
I had these issues and still feel it from time to time. The dealer is going to tell you everything is within range. The dealer did the fluid exchange and update. I went back 3 months later with the same issues and also the hard shift from P to D. They concluded everything was within spec. lol. Same symptoms, but all of a sudden it's all "normal". Also, the car has the feel of lag when trying to punch it from a dead stop like it's jerking. Again this shouldn't be, but the dealer is going to say it's normal. As you drive the car you will come to anticipate this and it too will become your "normal" feel as far as the AWD. When I drove the 3.5L I didn't have these issues. It all goes back to the torque converter.
I've had the car for a little over a month now and I am starting to get used to the feel of it. I came from having a TSX and I feel like the transmissions were programed to shift in the same manner, only I'm feeling it more now with this car because of the bigger engine. If anything does fail I do have a warranty on top of the fact that the torque converter issue is being covered by Acura. I just find it hard to believe that this passes as being a normal feel for a car of this stature.