Torque convertor replaced and growl comming back again...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torque convertor replaced and growl comming back again...

I had my torque convertor replaced and tranny reprogrammed about a month ago under the recall as the tranny was making this "growl" sound. Many members here had the same issue from what I've seen.
In my case, the problem is comming back and getting worse day by day. The dealer is already trying to tell me that they've done all they can and that this might be a car characteristic.

Did anybody have the same problem comming back after replacement of the torque convertor? Or any advise on how to proceed from here?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced

This is for 2010 TL SH-AWD.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Replace the torque converter a 2nd time ?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Replace the torque converter a 2nd time ?
I will push for that, but they already told me they've done everything they can.

I wonder if anybody had the TC changed and still had the jitter/vibrations comming back al 1100-1300RPM?
The following users liked this post:
steveheaven (11-04-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rafcio53, I have had this same issue since roughly 1 month after purchasing my 2011 TL (FWD). There is a loud growling noise at the range of just under 1 1/2 rpms. The vehicle has been to the dealership on 3 separate occasions for this. The 3rd time the tech heard the noise when driving the vehicle. Unfortunately they stated they cannot replace anything as they have to get approval from Acura headquarters. Snapshots and all that good stuff have already been sent to their headquarters. There is nothing they can do.

On a side note, I did take the vehicle to a friend who is a mechanic with Honda. He said it's probably the torque converter. It's an awful loud noise and it's embarrassing when you have someone riding with you. I doubt I will ever buy another Acura.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey, guys... I will more about this to the thread I normally post to for this issue, but: I am about 30K miles since the first TC replacement. It's definitely back. I asked the dealer service about it, and he didn't commit to a new TC, but he said it is possible it needs another one. Also said he would check the EGR valve etc... But I know it's the TC.

Acura11TL: Fight for it. You should be covered under the warranty add-on they mailed out. Especially if they sent the data off to be analyzed and it shows it needs a new TC.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the input. I do love the car, but it's such a pain to go back and forth to the dealer and hear all this BS. Since I replaced the TC once already and the noise is comming back, I might have no better luck with another TC. The dealer already telling me they've done all they can at this point. I will speak to them and see what the best solution is. ...but if they can't fix it I will most likely have to sell the car and look at another brand besides Honda/Acura. Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
correct me if im wrong but i read a thread on here that said acura extended the warranty from 60k to 100k due to the torque converter issue my question is is this all 4gen with and without torque converter issues and what part(s) warranty were extended is it the torque converter only or is it our overall powertrain which is both engine and tranny? thats my question
Old 11-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
I was speaking to a friend of mine who's a Honda mechanic of 7 years and he's saying Honda/Acura transmissions are completely shit and he's done so many torque converters for the 6 cylinders and the 4 cylinder engines of Honda's at his shop, including the new vehicles. He said he's already had to do a 2014 CRV torque converter.

He explained it's a known issue and every Honda/Acura dealership knows about this so if they're telling you otherwise it's complete BS because it's warranty work and they don't make as much plus a torque converter on v6's with all wheel drive is over an 8 hour job so keep pushing for that issue if you want it resolved somewhat.

I'm never buying an Acura again but I'll continue to enjoy what I can in mine until it dies. Rather deal with BMW's burning oil or find some reliable Lexus to drive.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
FWIW, There has never been any claims of the TC actually failing on anyone. My dealership told me the same when they replaced mine - seems to be more of a nuisance with the sound than a potential failure.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What a shame

I'm experiencing the SAME symptoms as the previous poster. And, I experience the same dealer rehearsed lines. Indeed Honda/Acura seem reluctant to proceed with the repairs. I've been a honda owner since 1996 -faithfully-. That's 20 years. And I must sadly say, must next car will be a Lexus.
Other than the propeller shaft and torque converter issues, the 4G is a really nice and reliable vehicle. It's a shame these ailments it's plagued with have not been permanently remedied. The final straw for me is the dealer/manufacture's reluctance to replace these known faulty items. It's frustrating and I will be abandoning Acura for this.

Has anyone had their torque converter replaced twice? And still have the growl/shuddering issue? Honda should redesign and re-manufacture the part already. Geez..