Torque Converter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015 | 01:17 PM
Instructor

Torque Converter Replacement

My 2012 TL AWD was having some driving issues and the dealer is replacing the TC. I live around a lot of hills and as I was driving in low rpms and being easy on the gas usually driving up a hill the rpms would start bounce up and down and the car would surge. It would do it on the flat roads too but the load from driving up the hills made it surge harder. Of course on the road test the moron tech that rode along with me tells me that because it's colder out that is normal for the TL's to drive like that. Idiot. I've noticed the surging here and there for a while but the last month it had gotten a lot worse and a lot more often. Should be getting back my car on Wed.

The Dealer put me in a TLX tech for a loaner. It's a nice car but my AWD sure blows it away. All I can say is I'm really glad I got the AWD

Last edited by PaulAWD; 01-11-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2015 | 04:56 PM
6th Gear

Paul, please post an update on how the car drives after the new TC. I'm having the same issue.
Old 01-12-2015 | 12:25 AM
Instructor

My Pleasure Wes
Old 01-12-2015 | 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

have the dealer perform the torque converter stall test to see if it locks at 2500 RPM or earlier. If it's earlier the torque converter is failing.
Old 01-12-2015 | 07:34 PM
Acura Technician

dealer will take a snapshot of transmission data when symptom occurs. the torque converter shuddering will shop up on a graph.
Old 01-13-2015 | 04:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
have the dealer perform the torque converter stall test to see if it locks at 2500 RPM or earlier. If it's earlier the torque converter is failing.
Could you please explain what the torque converter stall test or how it is performed? Before I got mine replaced, I had to try on four different occasions to replicate the issue on test drives with their tech. If there is a more full-proof or simple way of doing that, it'd be great to know.
Old 01-13-2015 | 06:02 PM
Instructor

I'm having the same issue with my 2012 FWD tech 23k mileage, took it in the dealership and they did software update on 12/17/14. After 2-3 weeks later I noticed that it's doing the same thing, I called the dealer today and SA told me that the torque Converter issue is for 09-11 models only. Shifting from 1-2 then 2-3 is more noticeable. He advise to bring the car back and they will take a snap shot and send it to Acura Headquarters if it needs a new TQ. What does the snapshot do and can they detect if there is a problem, I have a feeling that they will not replace the TQ. Any suggestion, Is the dealer giving me a B/S instead of fixing the problem?
Old 01-13-2015 | 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BSG1
Could you please explain what the torque converter stall test or how it is performed? Before I got mine replaced, I had to try on four different occasions to replicate the issue on test drives with their tech. If there is a more full-proof or simple way of doing that, it'd be great to know.
This link can explain it better, the lockup on ours I believe is 2500 RPM:
Torque Converter Stall Test: Stator and Stall Speed

Have the tech send data to Acura and it should help as well. How many miles are on the car and how many times has the fluid been changed? 3x3 method?

Originally Posted by Inspire08
I'm having the same issue with my 2012 FWD tech 23k mileage, took it in the dealership and they did software update on 12/17/14. After 2-3 weeks later I noticed that it's doing the same thing, I called the dealer today and SA told me that the torque Converter issue is for 09-11 models only. Shifting from 1-2 then 2-3 is more noticeable. He advise to bring the car back and they will take a snap shot and send it to Acura Headquarters if it needs a new TQ. What does the snapshot do and can they detect if there is a problem, I have a feeling that they will not replace the TQ. Any suggestion, Is the dealer giving me a B/S instead of fixing the problem?
The TSB is on acurazine and I believe it included 2012 models as well in the headline, but the tech's computer will let you know if your VIN is included in the TSB. Don't bother with the SA and talk to the tech who is working on your car. A lot gets lost in translation with the SA.

The Snapshot is basically a recording of the sensors on the car that is sent over to Acura to help diagnose the issue. They can see if a clutch circuit has lower than normal voltage (maybe not enough to set of a check engine light) but enough to cause transmission distress or it could be another faulty circuit. There are a lot of sensor and a slightly off sensor could easily be the cause.

I would also take out some transmission fluid from the car since it's only 23K and get sent over to a lab like Blackstone for analysis. They can tell you if a lot of metal/debris is in the fluid and if your Torque Converter is wearing.
Old 01-16-2015 | 09:22 PM
Instructor

Update - Good news is the TC has been replaced. I was able to drive the car for about 10 minutes when the metallic grinding noise they couldn't find was making a bunch of noise. Drove with the tech and he says it's a bearing. So back to the dealer and back into the TLX I couldn't wait to get rid of. For a brief moment my TL drove great. 'sigh' Should be picking it up next week.

One more note is they tested my battery and it tested low so they replaced it under warranty. No betterment charge either. 43K miles
Old 01-16-2015 | 09:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PaulAWD
Update - Good news is the TC has been replaced. I was able to drive the car for about 10 minutes when the metallic grinding noise they couldn't find was making a bunch of noise. Drove with the tech and he says it's a bearing. So back to the dealer and back into the TLX I couldn't wait to get rid of. For a brief moment my TL drove great. 'sigh' Should be picking it up next week.

One more note is they tested my battery and it tested low so they replaced it under warranty. No betterment charge either. 43K miles
Looks like you have a very good relationship between you and your dealer. At least your taken care of, wish I have that kind of service in Vegas. Some SA will give you the run around, but little do they know I did my homework. Bottom line the customer service here is pretty bad and they know it to, but they don't want to do anything about it bcuz they know they are the only two dealership here or drive 3hrs away to California. I have an appt. This coming Monday regarding TC for the second time, I specifically told them that I need a tech to drive the car not SA or Serv. Mgr.
Old 01-17-2015 | 11:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Inspire08
Looks like you have a very good relationship between you and your dealer. At least your taken care of, wish I have that kind of service in Vegas. Some SA will give you the run around, but little do they know I did my homework. Bottom line the customer service here is pretty bad and they know it to, but they don't want to do anything about it bcuz they know they are the only two dealership here or drive 3hrs away to California. I have an appt. This coming Monday regarding TC for the second time, I specifically told them that I need a tech to drive the car not SA or Serv. Mgr.

Best of luck to you Inspire. Getting this work done was not without it's issues, even with all the help here. I don't live as far as you from the dealer but it is an hour each way for me without any of the Sacramento traffic. First off, I would like to say the service writers are really nice to work with and I was given a 2015 TLX to drive while the work was being done, But......
Of course I get the same story, Never heard of anything like that before with either problem. Everything I read here on the forum seems to point to these 2 problems often. I can't be the 1st customer in Sacramento to have these issues and even if I am they should be looking online and in 5 minutes they should be able to see what other Acura dealers have encountered or at least what all of us have been having issues with. If I can figure out my car issues here in 5 minutes they should already know long before me. When I went out with the tech he told me that's just how the TL's drive and shift. Totally normal. I was nice but almost ready to blow up over that comment. I have 20+ years in Automotive repair so I have a little clue what is normal or not. Let alone my TL never drove like this for the first 40K miles. The Tech didn't have time to hit the freeway and hear the bearing noise but assured me they would test drive it and get it corrected. Of course they couldn't find it and after pissing and moaning about it I finally drove the 1 1/2 hours with traffic to pick up my car to hit the freeway and hear the noise. Oh that noise, go ahead and get hop back into the loaner and we will see you in a week. On a positive note, They saw my battery needed to be replaced under warranty and the little I drove my car everything felt tight and repaired correctly. The subframe and tranny gets dropped for the TC. And the wash job the detail guys did was really good. When I bought a couple years ago, it took over an hour to wash and was filthy inside and out so this was a big improvement.

They are taking care of business but I have had to work on it for something I was able to point right out to them let them know exactly what is wrong. Thank you to everyone on this forum for that!

Last edited by PaulAWD; 01-17-2015 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JTL12 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015 | 11:47 AM
Instructor

Picking up my TL today. It's been 2 weeks. They replace TC, Battery and the Drive shaft. Is that the propeller shaft bearing issue? I will report on how awesome it drives tonight.
Old 01-21-2015 | 12:25 PM
Instructor

i might have to take mine in as well. Mine doesn't make any weird noises but when going up a slight incline, the RPMs go up and down if i stay around 30mph. Just doesn't feel right and kinda rocks the car back and forth for a few seconds. Im fearing the worst news will be true but i have to check it now since I'm still under warranty. i got 40k on mine right now and i drive a 12 advance.
Old 01-21-2015 | 06:59 PM
Instructor

Picking up my TL today. It's been 2 weeks. They replace TC, Battery and the Drive shaft. Is that the propeller shaft bearing issue? I will report on how awesome it drives tonight.
Paul let us know how it turned out. The dealership took in my car today for abrupt shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 gears, the shop foreman Mgr. was able to duplicate the problem. At this point I was told that he will check to see if there is an update software and will go from there. They gave me a 2015 TLX V6 tech loaner car, I was impressed how the jewel LED lights lit the road.
Old 01-22-2015 | 06:51 PM
Instructor

My car is running great! No more noise and the transmission is working correctly now. It's nice to out of the rental and back in my own car. I wouldn't say anything is working any better or running any smoother than before, it's just not squealing or surging any more.

JTL12 - My started the surge at low speed at first too. It did it a couple of times and I ignored it as something weird that I couldn't duplicate. Not too much longer it was doing it at 65-70 MPH often.
Old 01-22-2015 | 06:55 PM
Safety Car

Curious

If the tech said it was "normal" what prompted the dealer to do the replacement?
Old 01-24-2015 | 01:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Curious

If the tech said it was "normal" what prompted the dealer to do the replacement?

The tech didn't know what he was talking about at the time on the test drive. The car was actually doing the surging and he thought it was just shifting gears and was trying to explain that the TL don't shirt real smooth in the cold. When he test drove it he was able to duplicated it too and understood what it was doing. The surging it was doing was really noticeable on any hills. In Elk Grove it was really flat so it was difficult to notice without being in the drivers seat.
Old 01-24-2015 | 01:30 PM
Safety Car

^^
Ah makes sense.

I was wondering, if maybe another tech checked it out
Old 01-25-2015 | 12:01 PM
6th Gear

All,

I took my car back to the dealer and they did another test, capturing a screen shot of the transmission on a laptop. They sent it back to Acura, who agreed that there was a problem, and the torque converter was replaced! It drives like a new car, it's incredible the difference. Not only is the "shudder" gone when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears, every shift is smoother and the car does not lurch forward when starting from a dead stop. I always thought this was because the engine was so powerful, but nope. Starting from a dead stop is now silky smooth. BTW, all of this happened in 48 hours. Can't say enough good things about the dealer that fixed my car. The dealer I bought the car from on the other hand, denied that there was any problem.
Old 01-25-2015 | 02:09 PM
Instructor

I stumbled upon this thread last night...like I need to be out *looking* for problems!

But I am glad to say that I don't have this issue. I have a '12 Advance (FWD) and shifting has always been silky smooth. Granted, I bought it CPO so I have no idea if a software update or TC replacement was done before I bought it, but luckily I seem to have dodged the bullet on this one.
Old 01-25-2015 | 02:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wes878
All,

I took my car back to the dealer and they did another test, capturing a screen shot of the transmission on a laptop. They sent it back to Acura, who agreed that there was a problem, and the torque converter was replaced! It drives like a new car, it's incredible the difference. Not only is the "shudder" gone when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears, every shift is smoother and the car does not lurch forward when starting from a dead stop. I always thought this was because the engine was so powerful, but nope. Starting from a dead stop is now silky smooth. BTW, all of this happened in 48 hours. Can't say enough good things about the dealer that fixed my car. The dealer I bought the car from on the other hand, denied that there was any problem.
So your car just kinda rolled forward from a dead stop once you release the break with out stepping on the gas pedal?
Old 01-25-2015 | 03:49 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JTL12
So your car just kinda rolled forward from a dead stop once you release the break with out stepping on the gas pedal?
No, I would lightly step on the gas pedal and it would jump forward. I thought it was just because the engine was so powerful and I wasn't use to giving it a light touch. It doesn't do that now though. It's more of a "normal" acceleration.
Old 01-25-2015 | 06:31 PM
Instructor

hmmm, mine doesn't jump but it just rolls forward as if i had my foot slightly on the gas pedal. I always thought cars were supposed to just stay still on a leveled ground... idk gonna have to check it out either way.
Old 01-29-2015 | 01:58 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Recently had my T/C replaced... actually last week.
I am noticing slight jittering when put into reverse for a second or two.
Anyone else or is this something where the new T/C needs to "settle in" and it will go away?
Old 01-30-2015 | 06:05 AM
Instructor

Interesting stuff... I think I need to take my car to be serviced for this issue.
Old 01-30-2015 | 02:52 PM
Instructor

I just got back from having the filter fluid changeand software update... there does appear to be a significant difference in drivability. Much smoother but seemingly less overall low rpm torque.

At least the service manager acknowledged there was a torque converter issue and a "searching" in rpm's on my personal car... so at least it's in the service system under notes for future issues.
Old 01-30-2015 | 03:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wes878
No, I would lightly step on the gas pedal and it would jump forward. I thought it was just because the engine was so powerful and I wasn't use to giving it a light touch. It doesn't do that now though. It's more of a "normal" acceleration.

my 2012 TL FWD does the same thing...it jumps forward when lightly step on gas from a dead stop...and also when travelling aroun 60-70 km/k around 1250-1500rpm I can feel vibrations/growl coming from the engine almost like driving a manual trans car too slow in too high gear....
Is it TQ problem...its driving me crazy...???
Old 02-05-2015 | 11:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by arek1200
my 2012 TL FWD does the same thing...it jumps forward when lightly step on gas from a dead stop...and also when travelling aroun 60-70 km/k around 1250-1500rpm I can feel vibrations/growl coming from the engine almost like driving a manual trans car too slow in too high gear....
Is it TQ problem...its driving me crazy...???

Yes
Old 02-05-2015 | 06:50 PM
Instructor

Yes

got to go to a dealership and tell them to check it out....
and they will tell me its normal....as always....
Old 02-06-2015 | 06:16 PM
Instructor

Don't take no for an answer. Good luck and I feel your pain.
Old 02-20-2015 | 10:29 PM
Instructor

I don't know ,maybe I am paranoid but it looks like it is starting to happen at even lower speeds and lower gears...it feels like transmission is shifting to a higher gear too soon and the vibration/growl can be heard and felt immediately right after shift...
Old 02-21-2015 | 09:45 AM
Intermediate

I don't know ,maybe I am paranoid but it looks like it is starting to happen at even lower speeds and lower gears...it feels like transmission is shifting to a higher gear too soon and the vibration/growl can be heard and felt immediately right after shift...
Mine was doing the same thing! I took it to one dealer and they insisted on a 3x3 transmission fluid change (despite the current fluid being practically pink and new) at a cost of over $450 not including tax...not happening! I took the bait on one transmission change. Unfortunate because the next day I took the car to another dealer and they recognized my torque converter going and are replacing it under warranty. Much better service. I contacted the other dealer and complained about being given the run-around, and have been offered a refund on the fluid change I paid for. Which is a pleasant surprise. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2015 | 07:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by acb5456
Mine was doing the same thing! I took it to one dealer and they insisted on a 3x3 transmission fluid change (despite the current fluid being practically pink and new) at a cost of over $450 not including tax...not happening! I took the bait on one transmission change. Unfortunate because the next day I took the car to another dealer and they recognized my torque converter going and are replacing it under warranty. Much better service. I contacted the other dealer and complained about being given the run-around, and have been offered a refund on the fluid change I paid for. Which is a pleasant surprise. Good luck!

I already did 3X3 myself, same thing...no change at all...
Going to a dealer next ...
Old 02-21-2015 | 07:21 PM
Intermediate

I already did 3X3 myself, same thing...no change at all...
Going to a dealer next ...
Absolutely go to the dealer. By now, I'm sure they are used to having to replace these fault torque converters. Unless you go to a dealer like the first one i visited, claiming they have never heard of such an issue. Wrote a fairly heated email to their service department manager and he has offered to reimburse me for the fluid change, which is nice.
Old 02-21-2015 | 07:57 PM
Instructor

I was at the dealer already and they said that they are aware of that problem...and they have seen the issue before..
could not test drive it because of the major snow storm...
going there next week again..
Old 02-21-2015 | 08:41 PM
Intermediate

I was at the dealer already and they said that they are aware of that problem...and they have seen the issue before..
could not test drive it because of the major snow storm...
going there next week again..
Best of luck to you!
Old 02-24-2015 | 10:25 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C8N
Recently had my T/C replaced... actually last week.
I am noticing slight jittering when put into reverse for a second or two.
Anyone else or is this something where the new T/C needs to "settle in" and it will go away?
So my TL is back at the dealer.
Besides what was mentioned above, after the T/C replacement, the car felt like it was shifting a little bit too early. There were ever so slight vibrations on the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal. Took a test drive with a tech this morning and he described it as "droning" and commented that this is not normal. At the time of the test drive, the tech had no idea what the issue could be but did comment that it might take some time to figure it out. Will see what they diagnose this as and will update.
Old 02-24-2015 | 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C8N
So my TL is back at the dealer.
Besides what was mentioned above, after the T/C replacement, the car felt like it was shifting a little bit too early. There were ever so slight vibrations on the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal. Took a test drive with a tech this morning and he described it as "droning" and commented that this is not normal. At the time of the test drive, the tech had no idea what the issue could be but did comment that it might take some time to figure it out. Will see what they diagnose this as and will update.
I hope mine doesn't do the same when it's replaced. Thanks, and keep us updated.
Old 02-24-2015 | 10:52 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acb5456
I hope mine doesn't do the same when it's replaced. Thanks, and keep us updated.
I am actually hoping it is the prop shaft.
If so, this will knock out all identified problems with the 4G TL.

An interesting compliment the tech made today. He said that the 4G TL were not the smoothest cars out there but mentioned that out of all the TL's he has driven, my car was exceptionally smooth. Whatever it is they do, I hope this does not change.
Old 02-24-2015 | 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C8N
I am actually hoping it is the prop shaft.
If so, this will knock out all identified problems with the 4G TL.

An interesting compliment the tech made today. He said that the 4G TL were not the smoothest cars out there but mentioned that out of all the TL's he has driven, my car was exceptionally smooth. Whatever it is they do, I hope this does not change.
That's great!!

Is the prop shaft issue prevalent in the front wheel base version TL? That's what I have and I'm hearing a noise around the passenger side of the car, sounds like it's near the window, like it's not as aerodynamic as it should be. Like the window is just slightly cracked, the wind kind of noise. That related you think?

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Replacement