Tail light full of water? Here's is solution..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light full of water? Here's is solution..

Hello all I had same problem, tail light filling with water, this is a serious problem, a buddy of mine had to lay out a pile of cash to fix the problem when his tail light filled up an went into light socket..

1st I tried pulling out the lens drying it with a hair dryer removing all condensation and resealed the factory seal with silicone as some of you already know it didn't work....

2nd After explaining the problem to a old trucker friend of mine he recommended trying what they did to the semis back on the old days, he said it works great and this might may solve some of your problems.

Pull your bulb socket out and with a little grease on your finger spread it around the gasket where in goes into the tail light housing, it seals up and grease is water proof 75% of you this will solve your problem I'm sure, unfortunately it didn't work for me..

So I came up with a plan C to address this problem and Viola problem solved after everything else I tried had failed, for some of you people who this problem has caused you grief feel free to send beer...
Don't remove your lens, Don't remove the light socket, I took my dremel and a very small drill bit, there was water in the lens at the time so it was easy to see bottom water line with my small drill I drilled 3 tiny holes in the plastic lens on a 75 or 80 degree up ward angle, know what I mean?

Don't just go straight in angle from below, doing it this way the tiny holes are totally unseen, if you looked at my tail light you can not see the holes only way they can be detected is buy running you finger along the bottom of the lens..

The water drains, there is a little air flow in the lens keeping it bone dry to this day, works on any plastic lens that get moisture inside..

Try this it works and don't forget feel free to send beer..
Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this is a 4G thread I would assume anyone with a water issue in the tail lamp would take it in and get it replaced under warranty.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
way back when my 90 CRX had moisture in in the tail lamps and front turn signal lens - honda replaced all 4 as PGSberg said above - under warranty