stereo noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stereo noise

I've just noticed that there is always some kind of noise coming out of the stereo whether it is on or not.

It's loudest when the car was just started and usually is a soft, ticking/popping sound. Other times it is just white noise.

Its only loud enough to be heard over volume 2 and my guess is that it's just noise coming through the wiring. You can understand that everybody here loves our cars enough to notice every little thing

Anybody else have this?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have not noticed this on mine. Do you by chance have a Blackberry? I noticed theyare notorious for generating stray sounds like on a speaker phone in the office when the phone is placed near by. A few times the speak phone was off (Polycom)!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It might be alternator noise. But this is unusual with a NEW car with the OEM stereo. It's most likely a grounding issue. I hope you can get this fixed.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Instructor

No I don't have this problem, and it doesn't sound normal. I also do not have interference from my cell phone either and I keep it in the center console area. Sounds like a dealer visit to me...
Old 11-29-2009, 01:58 AM
Advanced

i do have a blackberry, it's the older one with the side wheel

and i don't seem to remember any noise until i got it not too long ago

i pretty much never drive without my ipod on at least volume ten so i only ever notice it when i just start the car

i really don't mind, especially now that i think it is due to my blackberry
Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by N7Titan
I've just noticed that there is always some kind of noise coming out of the stereo whether it is on or not.

It's loudest when the car was just started and usually is a soft, ticking/popping sound. Other times it is just white noise.

Its only loud enough to be heard over volume 2 and my guess is that it's just noise coming through the wiring. You can understand that everybody here loves our cars enough to notice every little thing

Anybody else have this?
I have not noticed any noise. I have tech package and maybe that is why. I would suggest you go to your dealer and listen to a new model and see if you hear the noise. Sounds like you have an issue.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Advanced

alright so I've been closely watching the problem and there's been a few developments. About a week ago the ticking/clicking sound has gotten louder and faster. It still was only as loud as volume 4 though so i decided i can wait for a more convenient time to go to the dealers.

Then about two days ago it became louder and faster again. I took a minute and found it only came from the front center speaker; another minute spent fiddling with my phone to figure out that no electronics i had was causing and real interference. This time it was audible until volume 8. At this point i was getting really annoyed but I just didn't have time to get it checked out. I figured i pretty much always hav e the stereo above 15 anyway so i tried to ignore it until i have the time.

Finally this morning i was leaving for work and as I turned on the car the same noise popped up. Not the best thing to listen to first thing in the morning. I turn on my blackberry's bluetooth and the noise sputters a little bit. The kickier came when i plugged in the car charger. The clicking noise turned into a high pitched squeal that was probably as loud as volume 13.
I proceeded to freak out.
Sometime in my drowsy fit it hit me that the noise got worse when I plugged in my charger. So I pulled the plug and... sweet silence.
LOL I guess the outlet in the center console can't take having something plugged in all the time. Now my problem is with that outlet (the other one works just fine) but I'm just glad something isn't directly wrong with my speaker. I could care less if I am restricted to one outlet, as long as the problem is done with.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 354 Posts
/\
I am guessing there may be a grounding issue w/ that outlet and/or the stereo? Definitely not normal, though, and you may want to get it checked out to avoid any future issues.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I would try another charger to make sure it's not the charger causing the feedback back to the car for the noise. Personally I would suspect the charger before the car. Those things are usually cheaply made in China.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Instructor

alright so I've been closely watching the problem and there's been a few developments. About a week ago the ticking/clicking sound has gotten louder and faster. It still was only as loud as volume 4 though so i decided i can wait for a more convenient time to go to the dealers.

Then about two days ago it became louder and faster again. I took a minute and found it only came from the front center speaker; another minute spent fiddling with my phone to figure out that no electronics i had was causing and real interference. This time it was audible until volume 8. At this point i was getting really annoyed but I just didn't have time to get it checked out. I figured i pretty much always hav e the stereo above 15 anyway so i tried to ignore it until i have the time.

Finally this morning i was leaving for work and as I turned on the car the same noise popped up. Not the best thing to listen to first thing in the morning. I turn on my blackberry's bluetooth and the noise sputters a little bit. The kickier came when i plugged in the car charger. The clicking noise turned into a high pitched squeal that was probably as loud as volume 13.
I proceeded to freak out.
Sometime in my drowsy fit it hit me that the noise got worse when I plugged in my charger. So I pulled the plug and... sweet silence.
LOL I guess the outlet in the center console can't take having something plugged in all the time. Now my problem is with that outlet (the other one works just fine) but I'm just glad something isn't directly wrong with my speaker. I could care less if I am restricted to one outlet, as long as the problem is done with.
Sounds like a grounding/wiring problem to me as well. I charge my phone all the time in the center console and have no audio interference.

Have u not taken it back to the dealer yet?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Advanced

i agree with it most likely being a grounding/wiring problem, i haven't taken it back yet, I'll let you guys know what comes of it when i do.

i doubt it's the charger because there's been other things plugged into that outlet before with no problem
Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

i doubt it's the charger because there's been other things plugged into that outlet before with no problem
Wait, if the outlet works with other things but this charger causes interference, wouldn't you think it's not the outlet. Just thinking out loud here...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like it Must be the charger then
Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Advanced

wait woops, sorry i meant that the charger works in other outlets including other cars, although considering how the problem escalated over time it still might be the main problem.

i'll have to test it for a bit