Steering wheel click sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel click sound

I have noticed these past couple of days that when I turn the steering wheel to the left and back roughly 45 degrees, I can hear a very subtle click coming from the back of the steering wheel (the turn signal not engaged while turning the wheel). The click is not "loud" like the turn signal click sound. It is best heard while the car is not moving and you are just turning the wheel slowly as the car idles. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Steering click

Mine's an '09/TL/Tech/FWD
Thought I was hallucinating last week, while pulling out of the garage.
Guess it has something to do with the electric steering;
Anyway, love my '09!
Old 04-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Just noticed the same here. And like you said left turn.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I got the same deal going on in my 09 TL Tech FWD. I've been thinking about taking it in to the dealer but it's not a big deal right now. I'm just gonna mention it when I go in for my first service/oil change.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nyyanks81
I have noticed these past couple of days that when I turn the steering wheel to the left and back roughly 45 degrees, I can hear a very subtle click coming from the back of the steering wheel (the turn signal not engaged while turning the wheel). The click is not "loud" like the turn signal click sound. It is best heard while the car is not moving and you are just turning the wheel slowly as the car idles. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Okay now this is starting to bug me. nyyanks81 thanks for bringing it to my attention. between the radio, turn signal, and A/C blower you might miss it. but now I listen for it - seems to be only on left turns (but not every left turn) Turn all that stuff off and try it (doesn't seem to do it when parked and turning wheel??) I think it has some to do w/ the lock for the steering wheel
Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crxb
Okay now this is starting to bug me. nyyanks81 thanks for bringing it to my attention. between the radio, turn signal, and A/C blower you might miss it. but now I listen for it - seems to be only on left turns (but not every left turn) Turn all that stuff off and try it (doesn't seem to do it when parked and turning wheel??) I think it has some to do w/ the lock for the steering wheel
Yep, it bugs me too now that I have discovered the click. I'll test it out again later while car is parked. I wonder if this is a feature or a problem.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

if its a feature like the dash rattles in my old 3G. I'll have to fix it the same way - turn up the radio. Anyone else out there have the same issue?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

bump
Old 04-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope, I haven't noticed it, I'm too busy doing other shite. Click away my TL, it's no nuisance to me!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

if you have the audio going and even the a/c fan going - you could miss it. try a few turns w/o the turn signal going either - otherwise the sound disappears into the background noise. main thing that bothers me about it now - is that it can't be consistently reproduced - makes it hard to show a service writer at the dealer what your issue is.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crxb
I moved the steering wheel to the left when parked several times and did not notice the click. When it is in drive it will click. I'll try it again some more times and see what happens.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I moved the steering wheel to the left when parked several times and did not notice the click. When it is in drive it will click. I'll try it again some more times and see what happens.
stays just under my notice-able level for now - doesn't always happen (still not consistently reproduce-able) so until then I'll continue to enjoy the car.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
User-approved

Mine makes a muted whine-like noise, I don't know if it's the electro motor or something in the column. It's very faint, can't hear it when folks are talking or the sound system is on.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Mine creaks when turning; took it into the dealer and they replaced some part. It still makes the noise and now they say it is a "normal" noise related to the electric steering. It is an annoying sound, but I only hear it if the radio is off or on low volume.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Instructor

It is normal, I had the same thing happen in my 3G, and that car lasted me 4 years. What's not normal is squeaky engine sound... could be AC though.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Instructor

I also noticed that on mine car it started to happen recently i have 8k. it sound like something shift when turning the steering wheel to the end on both sides and it creaks like few clicks, but i dont think is normal.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:15 PM
No more Acura

I also have the clicking noise when turning the steering wheel. For me, I get this click when I turn about 180 degrees both left and right. I find that I get this clicking/creaking noise when I put pressure on the bottom of the steering wheel while turning the wheel.

Then I traced the problem to the black plastic piece below the horn. So when I pressed that plastic piece with some pressure, it will produce that clicking noise.

I will bring back to dealer to fix this for sure.

Another issue I have is some creaking noise from the gear shifter console plastic area. I find that while accelerating or decelerating, it produces this noise, especially in colder weather. Anyone else has this issue?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Mine clicks too, no big deal, my 2005 TL also clicked and it always worked great.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Advanced

My steering wheel has a rattle/vibration noise when riding on rough roads - rough as in course blacktop. I've heard it several times, but have narrowed it down to that small plastic piece under the horn - like AlCan mentions above. This is just a vibration buzz - don't hear it on smooth roads, or if the radio is up.
Any idea if the horn face, or any of the plastic parts pop off for service? If there was a way to get in there, I'm sure I could fix it?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Advanced

no clicks for me
Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM
No more Acura

Well I brought my TL back to the dealer last Friday for the clicking noise on the steering wheel. The Tech heard the clicks and it took him a few hours to fix it. He had to remove the steering wheel, SRS (which it turned out he didn't have to), then added some tape by the clips, and the noise went away.

So now it's nice and quiet when I turn the steering wheel. Great job to the dealer, sales person, and tech.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Add me to the list of "clickers." It happens about 20% of the time when I turn the wheel from straight ahead. Not sure yet if it's only right or left turns. Steering function is not affected at all and the sound sounds like it's coming from the upper steering column somewhere near the actual steering wheel so, thankfully, it's not in the actual 'guts' of the steering.

Not really a big deal although it's a bit annoying in a car that has been otherwise 100% perfect from delivery till now. I'll print out this thread and bring it to my dealer when I go in for my first oil change.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Instructor

never heard of clicks in my sh-awd :\
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hear the click as well... thought I was hullcinating.

anyone else bring it in?
Old 07-21-2009, 04:40 PM
7th Gear

Steering click as well

So did anyone manage to find out what this problem is? I hear the click as well when I am backing out of a parking space and putting the car back onto Drive.

I would like to know what exactly the cause was so I can talk to the Service Rep and let him know to make the process of finding what's wrong as smooth as possible. Thanks Guys!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

I hear same sound too...It's annoying..
Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced

I mentioned the click sound to the dealer and was told that all the TL's click like that because of some clock mechanism inside the steering wheel.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Anyone figure out a solution to this?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Advanced

my steering wheel clicks so many times!! turning it to the left clicks twice, every time almost, it gets really annoying.

taking it to the dealer tomorrow, see what the problem is
Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Racer

Not to thread jack but does anybody here have their steering wheel squeak/creak when going over bumps? I went for a drive aimlessly tonight since it was gorgeous outside and going over bumps and dips, the steering wheel creaks as if it wasn't lubricated enough. Same sound as a door creaking because the hinges needs lubricated. I searched but couldn't find anything. It happens with the smallest dip too.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Instructor

I guess I'm reviving this thread. Both my wife and I have heard the steering wheel click. It doesn't happen often but I don't think that it should happen at all. Does anyone know what's causing this. I just got my first oil change two weeks ago, but it didn't start doing it until a couple of days later. I'm certainly not going to accept, "all TL steering wheels click as an answer..." Anybody figure this out?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
2009 TL SH-AWD Tech

I am a canadian and this happened to my 09 TL SHAWD Tech as well.... got this problem since i got my car in may 09.
went to the dealer several times already..... still couldn't resolve the problem....

i brought in the US tsb regarding the column noise to my dealer before Honda canada release a tsb regarding the column noise, i got my column replaced....but problems come back after a while.

last time i went back to the dealer for winter tire swap, the mechanic did a test drive with me, confirmed the noise still exist. He tried to tighten everything for me but the noise comes back after a week or two...

the mechanic said the only way to fix it is to replace the entire column again... but the problem is.....Honda Canada DOES NOT ALLOW MY DEALER TO DO SO BECAUSE I GOT MY COLUMN REPLACED BEFORE!!!!

I am going to keep complaining to my dealer until Honda canada finally agrees to fix this for me.

PS: the problem get worse when the temp drops to near zero. the noise is louder especially when your are in front of a red light and try to turn the steering wheel...... anyone has the same issue?

Last edited by charco; 02-28-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
I thought i was going crazy but my steering wheel clicks also. will call the dealer and make an appointment ASAP.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I noticed this awhile back and when I mentioned it to my dealer they thought I was crazy. So I go in last week for an oil change and I asked if the were any TSBs out for my car and after checking, there is in fact a TSB out for the "clicking/popping" coming from the steering column. Dealerships are being told to replace all steering column on early 4G TLs. The dealer ordered me a new one, but I haven't had the time to drop it off to get fixed. Everyone experiencing this need to take their car in and mention it to the dealership. I don't know the TSB off hand, but just mention to the dealer that there is one and have them look it up. My dealership even printed it out for me, so I know that it exists, but I am away from home for awhile so I can't give you all the TSB number.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Steering clicking sound

Im not sure if this is any help or not for some of you, but this is my experience, and the dealership findings/fix.

I have a 2011 TL tech, with the 18 inch wheel pckg. I noticed after roughly 900 miles that when i would turn my steering wheel i was able to hear a clicking sound much as some of you describe. I contacted the dealer, and took my car in. The dealer was able to confirm the problem, and i ended up being stuck with a loaner for 3 days while they checked all sorts of things. They were able to duplicate the sound ONLY with the vehicle weight on the wheels, while on a lift in the air, turning the steering did nothing. They ruled out, steering, steering linkage, suspension, and had it narrowed down to a radiator support problem, or some problem with the chassis that Acura didnt account for. In the end what they found was that one of the two bolts that fasten the front bumper assembly on the left hand side, (the metal tongue that slides into the chassis frame, and is bolted down) was not torqued to factory spec. They retorqued the bolt, and i have not had a problem since. Im going on 4000 miles and so far, nothing has been wrong, Overall, even with this setback, im extremely pleased with the car. Anyway, hopefully my experience will help somebody.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Racer

I have also started having a clicking in the steering wheel on my 2010 MDX, sounds similar to the clicking that occurs from the signal cancellation mechanism when you have your turn signal on but this clicking occurs without the turn signal being on. It occurs on left or right turns and only when you turn the steering wheel more than half a turn either way, I usually hear when turning into my driveway or into my garage without the indicator on. It will click 2-3 times as the steering wheel turns back to center. It is very annoying and can be heard even with the radio on low. I have seen this on TSX, TL, Honda Pilot and Ridgeline forums unfortunately, fixes that I have read include Ignition Malalignment, steering reel problem, and steering column replacement. I guess it is a Honda issue. I'll be mentioning it to the dealer at the next oil change. I have found TSB for both 2007 MDX and TSX steering wheel clicking, both have different fixes though. If I get a definitive answer and fix from dealer I will post it....
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Sounds like a clock spring issue; if so, you're probably better off just leaving it be. They get in there and start ripping that apart, none of your wheel controls will ever work right again.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I had the infamous click after 5 months of ownership, took it in and had ti fixed...was a spring.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

My car started clicking last weekend in the middle of the east coast heat wave. The clicking is not too bad. So I decided to come here to see if anyone else had the issue. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Its not bad enough for me to take the car to the dealer yet. First of my Acuras to have this clicking noise.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
10th Gear

This may be your problem - this is not a recall but a bulletin effecting some tl's....

Service Bulletin 09-050

Popping or Clicking When Turning the Steering Wheel
SYMPTOM
A popping or clicking comes from the lower area of the
steering column when you turn the steering wheel.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The steering column lower bearing is mis-set.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the steering column.
PARTS INFORMATION
Steering Column (Base model):
P/N 53200-TK4-A02
Steering Column (Tech Package model):
P/N 53200-TK4-A12
Torx Bolt (two required):
P/N 90134-S6A-A80
Shear Bolt:
P/N 35102-SV4-003
(Base model only, two required)